ADVERTISEMENT

Prospector Story ... Winn

I'm going to with hold judgement until I read Winn's story, but something tells me that this whole situation has to do with a tired, worn out, frustrated, cranky old asshat's outdated notion that the kids who work their asses off for him on a daily basis are expendable and at his disposal if they don't kiss his ass...the exact way he wants them to.

I'm going to with hold judgement until I read Winn's story, but something tells me that this whole situation has to do with a tired, worn out, frustrated, cranky old asshat's outdated notion that the kids who work their asses off for him on a daily basis are expendable and at his disposal if they don't kiss his ass...the exact way he wants them to.

Whoa! You've described my teaching style. You're not one of my former students are you? You're not the one I had to keep from bashing his head on the cinderblock wall, were you?

A-freaking-mazing.

lieb

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I don't doubt Winn's story at all. I'm very interested to read the full story on Tuesday.

Whoa! You've described my teaching style. You're not one of my former students are you? You're not the one I had to keep from bashing his head on the cinderblock wall, were you?

A-freaking-mazing.

lieb

LOL!

I cannot confirm nor deny your inquiry, profe.

How many of you questioned the protesting of millennial's after Trump won ? some of you saying Floyd is too hard on them and he needs to soften up sound like a bunch of hypocrites. players don't need to be held accountable and have their entitlement attitudes reinforced cause life's too hard.

Everyone here knows how much I have defended Floyd but if all of that is true I have lost confidence in him

Two biggest things to coaching in my opinion are

1) to be able to form a relationship with players that strong enough to make them do and reach limits they didn't know they had

2) to be able to adjust and change when something is not working

If that article is spot on Floyd has done none of that and multiple occasions and like many of you I am tired of having this revolving door of players coming in and out of here

This year has sucked for miner athletics !!

Last edited:
I'm not the kind to say I told you so, and I don't want to be a d**k, but several of us have been aware of this for years now. Baffles me how slow some have been to see this. Blinders. Blind optimism.

Those that saw it for what it was and called it, put up with a lot of ridicule from some of you guys, especially early on. I'm am so glad Winn has come out and shed some light so that everybody can see Floyd for who he is. No more head in the sand for the last of you.

This, I hope, is the beginning of the end for Tim the Tyrant. Get this mother f****r out of here as fast as possible. Sickens me that he can get away with how he is to these kids. He is in a position of trust. We think because these are tough athletes that they should be able to put up with whatever an a**hole coach doles out, but Winn being tough himself, is done dealing with the shit. If this was my kid, I'd be up there in Floyd's face and he'd have some explaining to do. Piece of shit!

Floyd has done well everywhere he has been which was why I continued to have faith .. he has never really failed anywhere which led to continued optimism ..... sometimes people are best backed into a corner .... we shall see.... and people like bohannon who had huge issues with Floyd ended up supporting him....

Some of the players I have been hardest on are the ones that have come back and told me years later they understood and appreciated me pushing them

Floyd has done well everywhere he has been which was why I continued to have faith .. he has never really failed anywhere which led to continued optimism ..... sometimes people are best backed into a corner .... we shall see.... and people like bohannon who had huge issues with Floyd ended up supporting him....

Some of the players I have been hardest on are the ones that have come back and told me years later they understood and appreciated me pushing them

Bohannon was also still pursuing a professional career at the time he publicly supported Floyd. I wouldn't put it past ctf to say something like "I can have your career come to an abrupt end" to a journeyman like Bohannon who is just trying to find a way in. Maybe that is a bit extreme and presumptuous, but I wouldn't put it past Floyd. He sure as hell doesn't get much endorsement from past players.

He has had success, as you say, in all other places but he also collected a bad rap at USC. My son went to Iowa State for a while and I know the older crowd was less than enthralled with Floyd, most even saying they couldn't stand him. Those are negative attributes that are not acquired without reason.

As a coach myself, I get being hard on guys. It is what many players need. I'm sure you knew where the line was, though, and although it can be difficult, I bet you chose not to cross that line. It is apparent Floyd crosses that line without pause. He seems to think he can do as he pleases. Evidence of that abounds if one will just look.

I'm sure you're a good guy and mean well and this wasn't meant to call you, or anybody else out. I just hope everybody can now see change is necessary.

Bohannon was also still pursuing a professional career at the time he publicly supported Floyd. I wouldn't put it past ctf to say something like "I can have your career come to an abrupt end" to a journeyman like Bohannon who is just trying to find a way in. Maybe that is a bit extreme and presumptuous, but I wouldn't put it past Floyd. He sure as hell doesn't get much endorsement from past players.

He has had success, as you say, in all other places but he also collected a bad rap at USC. My son went to Iowa State for a while and I know the older crowd was less than enthralled with Floyd, most even saying they couldn't stand him. Those are negative attributes that are not acquired without reason.

As a coach myself, I get being hard on guys. It is what many players need. I'm sure you knew where the line was, though, and although it can be difficult, I bet you chose not to cross that line. It is apparent Floyd crosses that line without pause. He seems to think he can do as he pleases. Evidence of that abounds if one will just look.

I'm sure you're a good guy and mean well and this wasn't meant to call you, or anybody else out. I just hope everybody can now see change is necessary.

I am sad to say I agree at this point!! All I want is this program to be like it was when I was growing up!! Remember the atmosphere and the love utep basketball had in the 80's.... ohhh I miss those times!! Floyd will get this year and will be here next year unless he gets frustrated and retires soooo my thinking is let's hope for the best!! Because that's all I want for Christmas!!

My take is Floyd has used suspensions and discipline as a way to get across to the younger players, the newbies. I think this one backfired on him in a way that is going to cost him a season that was already going to be tough to have moderate success, at best. He could've saved it with a simple sit down with Winn. This is going to cost him big time.

Last edited:
Reactions: miner1liner
I am sad to say I agree at this point!! All I want is this program to be like it was when I was growing up!! Remember the atmosphere and the love utep basketball had in the 80's.... ohhh I miss those times!! Floyd will get this year and will be here next year unless he gets frustrated and retires soooo my thinking is let's hope for the best!! Because that's all I want for Christmas!!

Yep. I loved the 80s and into the very early 90s. If we could even sniff that level of success, I'd be as giddy as I got during my youth.

What if Floyd were willing to sit down with Winn and talk? Chances he'd be willing to stay or has he already left town?

Floyd has come off very arrogant and dead set in his ways. Very few coaches have changed that mentality especially as they've gotten older. Tom Coughlin comes to mind, so it can be done.

Reactions: UTEP05
Winn has to meet with the director of basketball relations on Monday so he hasn't left town yet.

Sad to see Winn leave because he was my favorite player on the team. After reading past articles about him he came off as a hard working young man. And wanting to provide for his young daughter. Floyd has lost it...he's going loco mang

I hope he comes back but too much damage has been done I think. He should really stick it to Floyd and transfer to nmsu.

I would be shocked if Winn changed his mind and decided to stay, especially after coming out and giving his version of what happened and making Floyd look bad.

I guess I am a minority on this one, but I am behind Floyd on this one, I don't care how special the players is. Coaches do make questionable calls that, in the players mind, seem frustrating; but he's the coach and he's the player. This is something that has stood the test of organized sports time. Floyd is a hot head, Floyd screwed himself and the program with high reward/high risk players, and his teams can't seem to get it done come late February and into conference tournament time and he compounds it by blasting a local sports fan favorite for questioning what is happening inside the program and bantering about transferring or eligibility rules. This to me is what Floyd has factually done. Booted him off the team or he quit, what difference does it make? So now Winn blows a season, and has to sit out one year.

If coach Floyd is doing stuff not within the normal scope of college athletics that appear questionable, that's what assistants are for and the direct job of the AD department and compliance. Now if the integrity of the player and coach relationship is in question, then UTEP needs to come clean. I haven't heard of Floyd using bad language or demeaning players or inappropriate physical contact (a la Bobby Knight) or complaints from the public or student body about the bad behavior of a player. As a matter of fact, some of these players are church choir kids compared to some of Haskins former players. Maybe that's where the problem lies, they ate basketballs for breakfast, they were from really, really tough American neighborhoods (UTEP legend Johnny Melvin is a great example), and they had a constant burning fire inside them. But then again, no sense comparing the Chicago recruits of Haskins versus Floyd Chicago pipeline of today. Floyd gave into unrealistic fan, alum and boosters allure of his ability to bring top ten basketball to UTEP. So what did Floyd do, instead of getting that kid who will eat nails to play college ball (like Haskins recruited), he went after the Hamilton's or Moore's who were extremely physically gifted, however, they don't really know about commitment but to themselves if you really get down to it. Do you all remember Gio St. Amant from So Cal powerhouse St John Bosco High? He was a good solid player and a good kid and had a legit chance to transfer from UTEP after the Rab's affair but his dad reminded him that he signed with UTEP, he should stay committed to UTEP. These players are few and far between in today's college D1 world, but they are out there, perhaps Floyd needs to change focus to the philosophies that drive the player so he can fix the problem and not have to sound like the "old man feeding the pigeons in the park" every time a (local sports) media microphone is put in front of his face. I have seen with my own eyes Floyd change tactics during a game and approaches to the upcoming season to win. He can do it, but he may be out of time because he pulled a Notre Dame football mistake...stop listening to the fans and boosters and all of us, get to what got you here. That's why Notre Dame can't succeed in FBS like they want, to many hands in the cookie jar! Can you imagine Stoops at OU or Nick Saban at Alabama letting big money run their show?! They'll get their complimentary autographed footballs, occasional face time meetings, rsvp seating at the luncheons and maybe a personal bbq in the coaches patio, but that's it. I doubt Coach Few at Gonzaga lets many big money people close into his program? It would fail, IMO.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Ever heard of people overreacting and coming to terms later

So you're saying Winn is overreacting? I don't see Floyd apologizing and saying he was wrong and that he lied about the whole situation. Even if he did, I don't think the situation would be good enough for Winn to be on the team.

So your points are all very legit 2 step but nobody has influenced Floyd on the contrary he's basically said FU to anyone that even attempted to question him on anything even dumb stuff like removing the names off the players jerseys or the absence of certain stats on the scoreboards. To say he should be left to do things his way and infer that where we're at is because of that is so far from reality that I'm suprised you wrote it. He doesn't get off the hook that easy.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
That is why I deleted my post .... see I was overreacting to something lol... I know I should never read and drive

You don't make an example of your best player unless he really, really deserves being made an example of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT