ADVERTISEMENT

Sellout The Sun Bowl vs LaTech!

I'm sure you know advertising isn't free. It's either one or the other. Cheap tickets or mass advertising. I'm not sure UTEP could afford both or either.
I realize that. If the Miners can spend 50k on a uniform they’re going to use one time a season, they can afford to do some guerrilla marketing for a week.

Not sure why you’re against trying to bolster attendance and create a hostile environment. Think of the momentum that would generate if we have a large crowd and move to 6-1. Strike while the iron is hot!!

I realize that. If the Miners can spend 50k on a uniform they’re going to use one time a season, they can afford to do some guerrilla marketing for a week.

Not sure why you’re against trying to bolster attendance and create a hostile environment. Think of the momentum that would generate if we have a large crowd and move to 6-1. Strike while the iron is hot!!
I'm not against it. I've realized where college G3 football is at. Plenty of examples around the country to go from. I'll use UAB. Brand new stadium, about to upgrade conferences, recent winning and while their announced attendance was 25k anyone that saw the game knows there was less than half of that.

What hope does a poor city/school like UTEP have?

I'm all for it spend thousands of dollars in advertising and slash ticket prices in half but I don't see the attendance needle moving that much.

Imo the team has done enough on its own to attract the fans.

I'm not against it. I've realized where college G3 football is at. Plenty of examples around the country to go from. I'll use UAB. Brand new stadium, about to upgrade conferences, recent winning and while their announced attendance was 25k anyone that saw the game knows there was less than half of that.

What hope does a poor city/school like UTEP have?

I'm all for it spend thousands of dollars in advertising and slash ticket prices in half but I don't see the attendance needle moving that much.

Imo the team has done enough on its own to attract the fans.
Instead of comparing us to UAB, let’s compare ourselves to ourselves. How NOT long ago was it that 34K showed up for HBU(?)?

We have the potential to pack the house. With our record where it is, a win next week, and a stadium full of fans witnessing the hypothetical win, we could get back to 25-30K+ a game on a regular basis.

This obviously is all contingent upon continuing to win more than lose, but if Dimel has built this thing brick by brick, and he can sustain 6,7,8 wins a year, then we gotta start somewhere. How about next weekend?

How come media people and some posters on here stress “patience” with new coaching hires, but when they have a little bit of success, fans are supposed to be selling out the Sun Bowl/DHC right away? Where’s the “patience”?

Reactions: utep-piggy
That's why I think the only price point that will bring the crowds in is free tickets. The following home game after HBU we drew 10k against a MW team. Kind of shows that they only showed up cuz it was free.

I know Senter will not make this game free. He might run a flash sale if ticket sales are low, which they are.

At the end of the day he has a business to run and a budget to meet.

I don't understand why people use to show up in droves without promotions and ticket around the same price once you calculate inflation. In 2009, four years after the glory Price days we still had crowds of 37k to watch a 2-4 team.

I guess I'm selfish wanting Senter and Dimel to succeed without the gimmick promotions.

It's a different era. I strongly believe those big crowds are gone no matter how much success we have or how cheap the tickets are. Time to adjust to 2021 lower FBS football.

If Senter does nothing I believe we will have around 18k. If he runs a promotion maybe we hit 22k.

I don't understand why people use to show up in droves without promotions and ticket around the same price once you calculate inflation. In 2009, four years after the glory Price days we still had crowds of 37k to watch a 2-4 team.

It’s simple. Price was popular and had a “fun” offense. I don’t remember every game, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t start “playing it safe” in the 3rd quarter of games with a 7 point lead.

The team was competitive and was shortly removed from their best seasons.

UTEP had the only game in town then. The Diablos were a crappy independent baseball team. There was no Top Golf, AAA baseball, 2nd division soccer, among other things.

The conference was still respectable at that time as well. You would have been called an idiot for suggesting that a decade later, UTEP would be in a conference with Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, and UTSA.

UNLV plays in a brand new domed stadium. UTEP plays in an ancient open air stadium. Kind of a difference there.
Yeah, that’s why players, fans and coaches like the this ancient stadium.

You said last year you would stop being annoying when UTEP starts winning. UTEP is winning and now you are in full Cartman mode.

Yeah, that’s why players, fans and coaches like the this ancient stadium.

You said last year you would stop being annoying when UTEP starts winning. UTEP is winning and now you are in full Cartman mode.

Liking the stadium doesn’t have anything to do with amenities or that it’s open air. Not saying it’s bad or there’s anything wrong with it. It’s just not even close to a new domed stadium in a great city like Las Vegas.

I did? Proof? Not sure that I would consider myself annoying, so not sure how I can stop being something I am not.

If UTEP beats LaTech, I will give them “mad props”. Being 5-1 is good. I believe the team is average at best and the Boise game is more of an indicator of their talent level and ranking than any of the 5 wins they have.

That’s my opinion, you have yours. If you don’t like it, I don’t care.

Let’s face it, El Paso is a band wagon city. If it’s cool to go to the game, people will show up even if they care about sports are not.
When UTEP wins they become “ cool again.” Problem is Dismel offense is boring, Dismel and Senter are boring. Our defense has changed this year and are becoming something you want to watch. We have two receivers and a couple of running backs that can bring excitement, but UTEP. has no clue how to market them.

I don’t believe the stadium has anything to do with the attendance. Sure chairs would be great but that’s not going to bring people to the stadium.
Southwest Park is nice, I’m not a baseball fan so I don’t have any desire to go.Been once just to check it out, probably never again.

Liking the stadium doesn’t have anything to do with amenities or that it’s open air. Not saying it’s bad or there’s anything wrong with it. It’s just not even close to a new domed stadium in a great city like Las Vegas.

I did? Proof? Not sure that I would consider myself annoying, so not sure how I can stop being something I am not.

If UTEP beats LaTech, I will give them “mad props”. Being 5-1 is good. I believe the team is average at best and the Boise game is more of an indicator of their talent level and ranking than any of the 5 wins they have.

That’s my opinion, you have yours. If you don’t like it, I don’t care.
UNLV spends at least $150,000 to play there. Their last game at least 20,000 of the 30,000 were Iowa State fans. They will most likely average under 20,000 per game as the team is terrible. Not sure if the school is making any money on the games being played there as they are just a tenant.

As for people wanting to go because they can see the stadium when it is impossible during a Raider game with the crazy prices, no parking and crowds, that is the time to go. I just don't know economically if it is a good deal for them.
The funny thing is that it will fill up better with the opposing teams fans if they have a good team as their fans also enjoy the trip to vegas and also to see the new stadium.

UNLV spends at least $150,000 to play there. Their last game at least 20,000 of the 30,000 were Iowa State fans. They will most likely average under 20,000 per game as the team is terrible. Not sure if the school is making any money on the games being played there as they are just a tenant.

As for people wanting to go because they can see the stadium when it is impossible during a Raider game with the crazy prices, no parking and crowds, that is the time to go. I just don't know economically if it is a good deal for them.
The funny thing is that it will fill up better with the opposing teams fans if they have a good team as their fans also enjoy the trip to vegas and also to see the new stadium.
What you’re saying is true. That’s why they charge more than UTEP.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I don’t believe the stadium has anything to do with the attendance. Sure chairs would be great but that’s not going to bring people to the stadium.
Southwest Park is nice, I’m not a baseball fan so I don’t have any desire to go.Been once just to check it out, probably never again.
People are staying home because the Sun Bowl doesn't have LED lighting.

Let’s face it, El Paso is a band wagon city. If it’s cool to go to the game, people will show up even if they care about sports are not.
When UTEP wins they become “ cool again.” Problem is Dismel offense is boring, Dismel and Senter are boring. Our defense has changed this year and are becoming something you want to watch. We have two receivers and a couple of running backs that can bring excitement, but UTEP. has no clue how to market them.

Do Dismel and Senter even get out and mingle with fans? Though I haven't lived in EP in a very long time, it seemed like Mike Price was always out there shaking hands and kissing babies. Bob Stull always came by whichever bar fans were hanging out at after a football or basketball game in the DFW area. He didn't always seem happy or comfy to be there but he was there nonetheless. They were good ambassadors for the team(s).

Reactions: Rot and Lil_Train
Do Dismel and Senter even get out and mingle with fans? Though I haven't lived in EP in a very long time, it seemed like Mike Price was always out there shaking hands and kissing babies. Bob Stull always came by whichever bar fans were hanging out at after a football or basketball game in the DFW area. He didn't always seem happy or comfy to be there but he was there nonetheless. They were good ambassadors for the team(s).
Wilson does. Even does push ups with the ROTC. She came to my section and shook hands and has that grandma friendliness. Senter does appear to mingle but I am going by social media pictures and he does the stair run to the locker room after the home games.

Reactions: Rot and TxRdKiller
I think most of us agree that UTEP needs to be more innovative in trying to get fans to the Sun Bowl. We have a team that is 5-1 and on the verge of becoming bowl eligible. None of the current staff were here during the Price winning years when we averaged over 40K fans. I don’t know if Wilson and Senter have any clue how packed the SB would get during the Price glory years. I think the fans are there and will return if UTEP does some outreach and media blitz. El Paso likes a winner and the Miners are winning now. UTEP should reach out to Coach Price and see if he’s willing to do some PR for the University. Coach Price has the personality and charisma to attract fans. I’m sure Price would be willing to that for free or for a nominal fee since his son is a coach with the Miners. A lot of this would be free media if Price is a guest speaker with radio and tv stations around EP. Price can also do the same at Ft. Bliss. Price was also known to go to schools with some of the players and cheerleaders all over town and promote UTEP. I don’t know if Price still lives in EP, but if he does UTEP should ask if he’s willing to help.

Mike Price is old news. Most fans could care less what he thinks and says about UTEP now. He wore out his welcome by staying too long and fighting with fans who wanted Floyd gone.

He wouldn’t help Senter’s issues at all.

Mike Price is old news. Most fans could care less what he thinks and says about UTEP now. He wore out his welcome by staying too long and fighting with fans who wanted Floyd gone.

That’s your opinion, which I don’t agree with. As a fan, I’m here to try to offer solutions and not criticize everything about UTEP. You offer no solutions, only complaints and negativity. We know where you stand and don’t care about you or your lack of support. You are not the person this post was intended for.

Last edited:
Reactions: picks up

Would Mike Price help? Who really knows. I think his advocacy to have fans in the stands would be helpful.

But to your point about it not helping, I disagree. I don't think there's any harm at all trotting out the old wise man to see if he can help get butts in seats. If it doesn't help, so be it. No harm, no foul. At this point, bring in Don Maynard, Seth Joyner, Chris Jacke, and anyone else who's had success as a Miner and whether or not they moved on to the NFL after their UTEP career. Just get people into seats to support the team.

That’s your opinion, which I don’t agree with. As a fan, I’m here to try to offer solutions and not criticize everything about UTEP. You offer no solutions, only complaints and negativity. We know where you stand and don’t care about you or your lack of support. You are not the person this post was intended for.
And that’s your opinion. I have already made my solutions known. Again, they are - consistent winning, “better” non-conference opponents, cheaper tickets, and actual promotions. That’s it.

Fun fact of the day. MP return against WKU was the last crowd of 20k. (Not including the HBU game)

We all love our American football, right? Well, last year Dimel and Senter, yes...Senter, love him or dislike him, they both did pretty darn good keeping covid at bay so we can watch our team. What happened is El Paso let the football team down by not staying home and not masking up and spread was so bad CUSA teams stayed away.

Well, it's a total 180 now and El Paso is tops in the state and country and officials stated we reached herd immunity.

The football team did their part during a trying time. The players wanted to play and the coaches wanted to coach and they did a good job from mass infections. Tell your Tio to pry open that FERS sponsored retirement account and go to the game.

Piss off NoWins and his ilk. Sell out the SB!

Piss off NoWins and his ilk. Sell out the SB!
This just shows how dumb you are. I would never be upset or “pissed off” if the Sun Bowl was sold out. Absolutely dumb ass statement, but that is mostly what you say anyway. So not really surprised.

I do not get upset when UTEP wins or has high attendance. The only exception would be if UTEP beats NNMU (or other inferior opponent) by a buzzer beater or lucky call/touchdown. Even then, it’s more of a disappointment and not upsetting. People that think otherwise are idiots like yourself.

My math was off this morning.

There was 19,164 tickets available at 10:09am. I just checked it at 7:20pm and now there's 18,790 available on ticketmaster. 374 tickets were sold through the day. I'll continue to monitor it. At this rate and with a big walk up crowd there could be around 17k or less unsold tickets by game time. I'm not sure if this means we're going to hit 30k. This is just based on tickets available on the website.

Reactions: shyminer81

There was 19,164 tickets available at 10:09am. I just checked it at 7:20pm and now there's 18,790 available on ticketmaster. 374 tickets were sold through the day. I'll continue to monitor it. At this rate and with a big walk up crowd there could be around 17k or less unsold tickets by game time. I'm not sure if this means we're going to hit 30k. This is just based on tickets available on the website.
There’s a ton and just because they’re not available for sale, doesn’t mean they’re sold. The student section is not available and whole upper parts of sections are unavailable for purchase. They also hold back several rows for that 4 pack that they offer. There’s thousands upon thousands more available than 18,790 available.

There’s a ton and just because they’re not available for sale, doesn’t mean they’re sold. The student section is not available and whole upper parts of sections are unavailable for purchase. They also hold back several rows for that 4 pack that they offer. There’s thousands upon thousands more available than 18,790 available.
Like I said on the website there are 18,790 single game tickets for sale. It's not that complicated. Why don't you post whatever data you have. 😒

Last edited:

We need Cowing to do one of these. Hopefully they keep rolling out different players through the week.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller

No mention of SINGLE GAME tickets in this post. I will bet you $200 the crowd isn’t close to 30k like you’re “suggesting”. How bout it ticket boy?

Reactions: MinerFan79
No mention of SINGLE GAME tickets in this post. I will bet you $200 the crowd isn’t close to 30k like you’re “suggesting”. How bout it ticket boy?
You're such a drag. So what I didn't put Single game tickets. I made it very clear that's the amount of tickets available to purchase on the website.

"I'm not sure if this means we're going to hit 30k." That's not a suggestion.

By all means patiently wait for any post I make so you can argue it.

Good to know they only deserve it when they win. Guess when they’re going 3-9, they don’t deserve sellouts.

tommen-suicide.gif

I'll take that bet. Keep the money. Just get the hell out of here if it's between 27k to 30k or over? How 'bout it chuckles?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT