ADVERTISEMENT

SFA VS UTEP game thread

Nice pickup game. Should help with enthusiasm and confidence. The game @ Texas should wipe that out though. I'm happy for the players and hope that we don't have too many players taken off the field on stretchers next week.
Go Miners!
Lol Utep has played Texas how many times recently? How many players have been taken off in stretchers? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Yes they'll lose, but it's not college vs High School, SMH Texas 52 Utep 14 with 0 stretchers.

Do you think the play calling today looked better than the last 2 years?
No. Our play calling is straight vanilla in the run game. Tempo is slow. Our passing game was very narrow. Hardison was accurate on the inside and executed well. We were not aggressive though (especially after converting 3rd downs).

Back from the game
Our Quarterback and receiver play was good, and we look to have a passing game for a change, running back position looks good and a lot of depth and variety, need better line play on both sides. Like the fact we took the game, made plays when needed and didn't play stupid or erratic . We look like we made improvement at most positions and discipline was a lot better than in year past. Next game will tell us a lot more.

Do you think the play calling today looked better than the last 2 years?

Not really. I mean we averaged just under 28 pass attempts per game last year. Tonight, Hardison threw the ball....28 times. Aside from a couple of Hankins’ runs, the pass is what was moving us down the field. It’s like this staff pre determines play calling before the game. We’re gonna run 70% of the time, we’re gonna pass the ball 30% of the time. They never waver from the plan. Even if one aspect of the game is working better, the staff rarely, if ever, hones in on that success and exploits it. Hardison just seemed to make more out of his opportunities to throw the ball but the play calling looked pretty familiar, imo.

I thought the play calling was a disgrace. That fourth down call was more like a victory formation. Line up in a regular running formation and get your yard. Most runs especially in first half were up the middle.
I guess the coaches don’t have sweeps or screens in the playbook. Or maybe we don’t have the personal to run them.
Th offense line did a good job of pass protection and picking up the blitz. Their run blocking was bad. We couldn’t push SFA off the line. They really need to work on that facet of the game.
Defense was better than last year, but still not much pass rush until very late in the game.
A lot more disciplined than last year. No offsides or false starts. I believe there were two pass interference, one was very questionable.
Offense coaches couldn’t decide on a play soon enough, thus getting plays in late.
Defense coaches also had the players looking to the sidelines for plays late when SFA was at line getting ready to snap the ball.
QB play was 10 times better than last year. Hankins and Fields looked good. Wadley doesn’t look like the runner we all believe he is. I wonder if he doesn’t trust his body yet.

6,047 attendance. Since it’s spread out the crowd didn’t look to bad.

This was a definite step forward from the last three years. UTEP had something resembling a passing game and they managed to convert third downs and keep drives alive when they needed. The run blocking was not good and it’s unfortunate Cowing had some big misses. The defense still can’t get to the QB but they made up for it with some turnovers. Overall I thought the team showed a lot today. SFA didn’t come to the Sun Bowl to roll over and UTEP was able to finish them off.

This was a definite step forward from the last three years. UTEP had something resembling a passing game and they managed to convert third downs and keep drives alive when they needed. The run blocking was not good and it’s unfortunate Cowing had some big misses. The defense still can’t get to the QB but they made up for it with some turnovers. Overall I thought the team showed a lot today. SFA didn’t come to the Sun Bowl to roll over and UTEP was able to finish them off.
The third down conversions were huge and Garrett/Cowing GOAT performance made me giddy. Those SFA db's were literally hanging on UTEP receivers but Cowing and Garrett made clutch plays which kept chains moving which tired out SFA front D line.

Lol Utep has played Texas how many times recently? How many players have been taken off in stretchers? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Yes they'll lose, but it's not college vs High School, SMH Texas 52 Utep 14 with 0 stretchers.
Yes, that post was meant to be tongue in cheek. But, DD might hold some our best player to fewer minutes to keep them from getting hurt. If we can put up 14 points or more, as you suggested, that'd be great!

Reactions: nattybry
The third down conversions were huge and Garrett/Cowing GOAT performance made me giddy. Those SFA db's were literally hanging on UTEP receivers but Cowing and Garrett made clutch plays which kept chains moving which tired out SFA front D line.

I know the offense isn’t the 2004 Miners but those 3rd down plays were probably the biggest surprise. It seems like UTEP had a clear plan as to how they were going to convert 3rd downs and they weren’t just going on an wing and a prayer.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I know the offense isn’t the 2004 Miners but those 3rd down plays were probably the biggest surprise. It seems like UTEP had a clear plan as to how they were going to convert 3rd downs and they weren’t just going on an wing and a prayer.

All well and good. I’ll take it over the last few years. Definitely different for us to not have so many 3 and outs. Would be nice to take a shot down field on 1st down a little more often, though. Maybe the staff just wanted to ease Hardison on in there and play fairly conservative.

Reactions: axingfools1
All well and good. I’ll take it over the last few years. Definitely different for us to not have so many 3 and outs. Would be nice to take a shot down field on 1st down a little more often, though. Maybe the staff just wanted to ease Hardison on in there and play fairly conservative.

For the first game of the season with a new QB I can’t complain. They were efficient and they moved the ball well. The run blocking needs to improve but overall I can’t complain. They were able to move the ball vs SFA, now can they move it vs C-USA level opposition?

For the first game of the season with a new QB I can’t complain. They were efficient and they moved the ball well. The run blocking needs to improve but overall I can’t complain. They were able to move the ball vs SFA, now can they move it vs C-USA level opposition?

I’ll buy that.

That, I have a harder time buying. We went for 364 total yards of offense. Against an FCS opponent. Who isn’t even all that good as an FCS team.

Not shitting on how utep played, because it is head and shoulders better than it has been, but I question that we moved the ball well. 3rd down efficiency was fantastic at 8/13. We moved well at times, I’d say. But 365 total yards...

UTEP O left at least 14 points on the field despite extra vanilla play calling by Canales. I didn’t see the game but I don’t recall Canales calling any misdirection, screens, sweeps, or incorporating any play action passes. Why wasn’t the tight end involved in the offense?
The offensive play calling is going to have to improve if UTEP is going to enjoy any success against stiffer competition.
Seems as if we have been complaining about play calling the last 5-6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmanminer
That, I have a harder time buying. We went for 364 total yards of offense. Against an FCS opponent. Who isn’t even all that good as an FCS team.

Not shitting on how utep played, because it is head and shoulders better than it has been, but I question that we moved the ball well. 3rd down efficiency was fantastic at 8/13. We moved well at times, I’d say. But 365 total yards...

To me it was ground and pound ball control offense through the air. The rushing numbers are misleading. We didn't really get traction on the ground until the fourth quarter. I've not seen too many drives like the one we had in the second quarter. An 83 yd drive for a touchdown with 68 of the 83 yards coming through the air. It took almost 10 minutes off the clock. This is still Dimel's ball control offense just with a spread and a vertical passing attack. This team actually has the pieces to run an up tiempo offense. They had the read option game set up all night there are a few time Hardison could have kept the ball and got huge chunks of yds. With the receivers we have, Hankins potential and the read option game this team could be a pretty potent up tiempo offense. I will be interested to see how this offense looks next week against Texas. I dont know how effective this offensive will be giving defenses a full 40 seconds to recover and scheme. Im happy they won best game they've played in two years and best qb play since Leftwich.

Our yards per play were concentrated by running the ball up the middle every other down. I think we could have easily put up 500 yards on SFA if the play calling was not so damn simplified.

If I were Canales I would attack the defense by being more aggressive after 3rd down conversions. This requires more tempo, but I think Hardison can do it. Also if we have 3 capable running backs why not play 2 at a time (instead of a fullback)? This would allow for a little more innovation and keep the defense from reading our run game like an open book.

Last edited:

For the first game with a new QB I understand that it’s not great, but it definitely not bad at all. A year ago UTEP was running for 2/3 yards and the pass plays on 3rd were absolute prayers that had no chance in hell of working.

I thought the play calling was a disgrace. That fourth down call was more like a victory formation. Line up in a regular running formation and get your yard. Most runs especially in first half were up the middle.
I guess the coaches don’t have sweeps or screens in the playbook. Or maybe we don’t have the personal to run them.
Th offense line did a good job of pass protection and picking up the blitz. Their run blocking was bad. We couldn’t push SFA off the line. They really need to work on that facet of the game.
Defense was better than last year, but still not much pass rush until very late in the game.
A lot more disciplined than last year. No offsides or false starts. I believe there were two pass interference, one was very questionable.
Offense coaches couldn’t decide on a play soon enough, thus getting plays in late.
Defense coaches also had the players looking to the sidelines for plays late when SFA was at line getting ready to snap the ball.
QB play was 10 times better than last year. Hankins and Fields looked good. Wadley doesn’t look like the runner we all believe he is. I wonder if he doesn’t trust his body yet.

post of the day

Reactions: Dmanminer
It was only a 10 point game not a blowout. I personally think we should've punched the last TD in. This team needs confidence and they could've practiced there goal line offense. Not to mention 31-14 looks a whole lot better against an inferior opponent.
I would have punched it in too, especially after that DT intentionally jumped offsides.

"It was only a 10 point game not a blowout. I personally think we should've punched the last TD in. This team needs confidence and they could've practiced there goal line offense. Not to mention 31-14 looks a whole lot better against an inferior opponent."

A competent offensive coordinator calling last nights game would have scored 45 points against the second worst team in the Southland conference. These chumps at UTEP haven't learned a lick the last two years. Expect UTEP to finish at or near the bottom of CUSA and FBS offensive standings again this year, despite having decent offensive talent. Don't let last night's win fool you, a terrible offensive game plan like the one we saw last night will result in another 1-11 season.

Didn't UTEP score 38 against Houston Baptist last year? Then why the step backwards offensively?

Last edited:
That should do it. A win is a win!!! Defense needs

to hold!
I couldn't watch the game but by grand son-in-law, who played for Southlake Carroll a few years ago told me that a SFA player (from Carroll HS)fumbled on the one inch line when about to score. Is that correct?
He also added that whoever was doing the broadcast sounded like Class C high school announcers. Who was it?

Last year we had over 500 yards vs HBU. It didn’t mean shit since our offense still sucked the rest of the year. I’m just gonna enjoy this rare win. If we blow out ACU the way we could have to SFA I’ll feel a lot better about our chances vs FBS teams.

Our yards per play were concentrated by running the ball up the middle every other down. I think we could have easily put up 500 yards on SFA if the play calling was not so damn simplified.

If I were Canales I would attack the defense by being more aggressive after 3rd down conversions
. This requires more tempo, but I think Hardison can do it. Also if we have 3 capable running backs why not play 2 at a time (instead of a fullback)? This would allow for a little more innovation and keep the defense from reading our run game like an open book.

Precisely my point. It doesn’t fall on the players but rather the play calling. We seem to have the pieces to go more up tempo and pick up bigger chunks of yardage. Not at all shitting on the players.

And our staff has to drop this YMCA ball mentality, and start putting some feet on team’s throats. Hate the nice guy mentality/gesture of not punching it in at the end. Develop some swag!!

I thought that was an automatic classy move to make at the end. For a team that lost to an FCS team two years ago and struggled against another one last year there’s no need to act like bullies. I prefer that we show respect to the opponent. It’s the first game we’ll have another chance to flex our muscles on a smaller program in two weeks.

I thought that was an automatic classy move to make at the end. For a team that lost to an FCS team two years ago and struggled against another one last year there’s no need to act like bullies. I prefer that we show respect to the opponent. It’s the first game we’ll have another chance to flex our muscles on a smaller program in two weeks.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. The Miners need a killer mentality, imo. Drop the nice guy act. No bullying by punching one in that you worked for and deserve.

I hated when teams pulled back during a game in my playing days.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. The Miners need a killer mentality, imo. Drop the nice guy act. No bullying by punching one in that you worked for and deserve.

I liked that UTEP shut them out in the 2nd half. I think that doing that already asserted dominance in the 2nd half. No need to run up the score.

UTEP couldn't stop HBU last season, so the fact that they were able to pitch a shutout in the 2nd half is already a good sign that our defense is improving.

The game gave us some cause for optimism.

There is no way UTEP is blowing out ACU. ACU thrashed Houston Baptist in Houston 38-13 and rolled up just shy of 600 yards. Utep needed a late score to beat them by only two.
If I were forced to bet the farm, I would put my money on ACU by two touchdowns against the Miners.
Based on last night’s performance, UTEP contiues to be no better than the average FCS football team and they would occupy the bottom quarter of the Southland Conference standings if they were members.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
I don’t think UTEP is in any position to extend mercy to an opponent. A 10 point win is good, but it’s definitely not a lead any Miner fan should be comfortable with.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I couldn't watch the game but by grand son-in-law, who played for Southlake Carroll a few years ago told me that a SFA player (from Carroll HS)fumbled on the one inch line when about to score. Is that correct?
He also added that whoever was doing the broadcast sounded like Class C high school announcers. Who was it?
Someone please help me out here. I suspect I'm getting BS'd

Reactions: kickballpro

Agree. Everyone else always stomps us, it’s time we do it to others. You think Texas is going to play half assed next week? Or take it easy in 2nd quarter? No way

Reactions: MineroFanatico
"It was only a 10 point game not a blowout. I personally think we should've punched the last TD in. This team needs confidence and they could've practiced there goal line offense. Not to mention 31-14 looks a whole lot better against an inferior opponent."

A competent offensive coordinator calling last nights game would have scored 45 points against the second worst team in the Southland conference. These chumps at UTEP haven't learned a lick the last two years. Expect UTEP to finish at or near the bottom of CUSA and FBS offensive standings again this year, despite having decent offensive talent. Don't let last night's win fool you, a terrible offensive game plan like the one we saw last night will result in another 1-11 season.

Didn't UTEP score 38 against Houston Baptist last year? Then why the step backwards offensively?

That’s ok we can disagree. We had two good looking drives during the game that ended in turnovers. If we want to run up the scoreboard that’s when we should show killer instinct, not during the last few seconds of the game when the score is already settled. If we want to do that to ULM or a conference mate then by all means go ahead. Why pick on the smaller program?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT