ADVERTISEMENT

SFA VS UTEP game thread

Agree. Everyone else always stomps us, it’s time we do it to others. You think Texas is going to play half assed next week? Or take it easy in 2nd quarter? No way
They stomp us during the game. Tell me the last team that had a comfortable lead and scored a td on us with a second remaining in the game. I think everyone is in victory formation but I could be wrong. My memory fails me sometimes.

Someone please help me out here. I suspect I'm getting BS'd
Perhaps your grandson in law was watching the SMU vs Texas State game, and got confused. The SMU rb fumbled just before scoring; and he also happened to be from Southlake Carroll. I must say, from what I saw from that game, it was much better football than what I saw at the Sun Bowl yesterday.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
That’s ok we can disagree. We had two good looking drives during the game that ended in turnovers. If we want to run up the scoreboard that’s when we should show killer instinct, not during the last few seconds of the game when the score is already settled. If we want to do that to ULM or a conference mate then by all means go ahead. Why pick on the smaller program?

That’s where I think our difference in ideology lies. I don’t consider it picking on the smaller guy by punching one in when you’re in position to do so.

If that was the case Nick Saban should take his 10 point lead and kneel on it every game because aside from Clemson and less than a handful of other teams, everybody is the little guy against them. He doesn’t though.

I think our issue is a “culture” issue. We embrace the suck and wear it like clothing. I think we’d do well to build confidence by taking what we can get. Take the opportunity to work on some things inside the 10 yard line. How often do we even get that opportunity?

Anyway, I respect your opinion, I just have a different one on this. It’s all good.

That’s where I think our difference in ideology lies. I don’t consider it picking on the smaller guy by punching one in when you’re in position to do so.

If that was the case Nick Saban should take his 10 point lead and kneel on it every game because aside from Clemson and less than a handful of other teams, everybody is the little guy against them. He doesn’t though.

I think our issue is a “culture” issue. We embrace the suck and wear it like clothing. I think we’d do well to build confidence by taking what we can get. Take the opportunity to work on some things inside the 10 yard line. How often do we even get that opportunity?

Anyway, I respect your opinion, I just have a different one on this. It’s all good.
There’s a tiny difference between SEC programs and SFA. That’s besides the point.

Does your opinion of UTEP change if the final score was 31-14? To me that’s what it was. Does it make a difference? We still didn’t handle them the way UNT and Marshall did to their opponents. If we beat ACU 40-17 type of score that shows a lot more than Hankins punching in the ball last night in the last second.

They stomp us during the game. Tell me the last team that had a comfortable lead and scored a td on us with a second remaining in the game. I think everyone is in victory formation but I could be wrong. My memory fails me sometimes.

I have no clue. I do not watch any non-competitive game of any kind once it’s out of reach. UTEP or otherwise. I looked it up and Arizona was still passing with under 5 minutes left up 56-16 a few years ago.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
Perhaps your grandson in law was watching the SMU vs Texas State game, and got confused. The SMU rb fumbled just before scoring; and he also happened to be from Southlake Carroll. I must say, from what I saw from that game, it was much better football than what I saw at the Sun Bowl

Last edited:
I have no clue. I do not watch any non-competitive game of any kind once it’s out of reach. UTEP or otherwise. I looked it up and Arizona was still passing with under 5 minutes left up 56-16 a few years ago.
We turned the ball over on downs at their 25 with 51 seconds. Arizona used victory formation to close the game.

That’s ok we can disagree. We had two good looking drives during the game that ended in turnovers. If we want to run up the scoreboard that’s when we should show killer instinct, not during the last few seconds of the game when the score is already settled. If we want to do that to ULM or a conference mate then by all means go ahead. Why pick on the smaller program?
I've been asking for our coaches and players to be aggressive for years. Football and basketball. That just my personal style and thats the way I would coach. If the other team can't stop you then that's their problem and vice versa. These games will not always be fair.

SFA gave us hell, even being the 'smaller school' and being shorthanded. Its not like we were up 40. We were up 10 with a minute to play. We ran a play to score. Why not do it again. Everybody wanted Hankins to get that 3rd TD after he broke that long run.

UTEP should have been up by more, except for bone head play calling. This game should have been a blow out.
I usually agree not to score that last yd, but these players and this team needs to learn how to score, how to have the confidence that they can, and the knowledge that they can play D1 ball.

We turned the ball over on downs at their 25 with 51 seconds. Arizona used victory formation to close the game.

Do you think a team should be passing up 56-16 late in the 4th? UTEP was running plays right before victory formation. They could have scored right before they took a knee, but chose not to.

As a team, that is 3-34 recently, we shouldn’t be “nice” to anyone.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
I've been asking for our coaches and players to be aggressive for years. Football and basketball. That just my personal style and thats the way I would coach. If the other team can't stop you then that's their problem and vice versa. These games will not always be fair.

SFA gave us hell, even being the 'smaller school' and being shorthanded. Its not like we were up 40. We were up 10 with a minute to play. We ran a play to score. Why not do it again. Everybody wanted Hankins to get that 3rd TD after he broke that long run.
They did stop us. On the 3 yard line to force a fg. On the 17 to force a fumble and around the 25 when they picked the ball. The score should already have been at least 35-14. It’s all good, IMO the final score was 31-14 and Dimel showed class.

There’s a tiny difference between SEC programs and SFA. That’s besides the point.

Does your opinion of UTEP change if the final score was 31-14? To me that’s what it was. Does it make a difference? We still didn’t handle them the way UNT and Marshall did to their opponents. If we beat ACU 40-17 type of score that shows a lot more than Hankins punching in the ball last night in the last second.

My opinion isn’t that it makes UTEP “look” better to beat an FCS team 31-14, instead of 24-14. Again, why not try some things inside the 10 yard line? Why not add to the team’s confidence by hitting paydirt again? Those points are not for bragging rights. They’re for the beginnings of taking on a new identity.

Also, we are a lot closer to SFA than we are to the SEC. Are you saying that the SEC is worthy of running up the score but teams from lesser conferences aren’t? Maybe I misunderstood you.

Reactions: develman
Do you think a team should be passing up 56-16 late in the 4th? UTEP was running plays right before victory formation. They could have scored right before they took a knee, but chose not to.

As a team, that is 3-34 recently, we shouldn’t be “nice” to anyone.
On that series they ran their 6th string rb 6 times and we couldn’t stop him. Their third string qb made a completion to their 5th string wr. They were trying their best not to move the ball on us.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I don’t think UTEP is in any position to extend mercy to an opponent. A 10 point win is good, but it’s definitely not a lead any Miner fan should be comfortable with.
Considering that the Miners were down 11, I think it's a positive that UTEP scored the last 21 points of the game and very easily could have scored the last 28 if they wanted.

My opinion isn’t that it makes UTEP “look” better to beat an FCS team 31-14, instead of 24-14. Again, why not try some things inside the 10 yard line? Why not add to the team’s confidence by hitting paydirt again? Those points are not for bragging rights. They’re for the beginnings of taking on a new identity.

Also, we are a lot closer to SFA than we are to the SEC. Are you saying that the SEC is worthy of running up the score but teams from lesser conferences aren’t? Maybe I misunderstood you.
It doesn’t matter anymore the game is settled. Why not go for it on 4th and goal during the 1st quarter? That IMO is when you show killer instinct and work on things inside the 10. No one seems to be upset about that call.

I don’t watch sec football. I might be wrong and teams like to score on the last second to win by seven more points instead of taking a knee. If that’s the case my bad for thinking people were still old school. There’s a difference between a CUSA program and a southland program. Maybe not so much with UTEP and the southland but there should be.

Im defense analysts: for what it’s worth.
The line can’t put pressure on the QB. A stronger o-line is going to cause them trouble. DB’s as always with UTEP play to far off the receivers. Doesn’t matter who are coach is this has been the same for as long as I can remember. If it’s 3rd and 6 were 8 yards back.
Van Hook is the real deal and has speed.
Cox still is a poor DC. Either he’s to stubborn to change his schemes, are doesn’t have the athletes to be aggressive.
We will be able to play with mediocre teams, but won’t be able to stop average or above teams.
Think we will win 3 or 4 games.

Im defense analysts: for what it’s worth.
The line can’t put pressure on the QB. A stronger o-line is going to cause them trouble. DB’s as always with UTEP play to far off the receivers. Doesn’t matter who are coach is this has been the same for as long as I can remember. If it’s 3rd and 6 were 8 yards back.
Van Hook is the real deal and has speed.
Cox still is a poor DC. Either he’s to stubborn to change his schemes, are doesn’t have the athletes to be aggressive.
We will be able to play with mediocre teams, but won’t be able to stop average or above teams.
Think we will win 3 or 4 games.
Agree. If your going to lose then go down swinging. Be aggressive. Our 3rd down defense has killed us for years.

Can't really put pressure when the other team is basically running bubbles, jailbreak, and hitches. Hence they took out a D Lineman, put in an Xtra DB and shut that down. Shutting down their screen game shutdown their game plan. You don't need to sack a qb when you're tackling a guy on a screen for a 4 yd loss.

Dimel is a classy, but passive guy.
I don't expect brotherly conference love against USM. He better have that game circled in red! I do. USM goes out of their way on the field (and the hardwood) to be disrespectful and just plain jerks towards UTEP. I don't want Dimel to play dirty, I want Dimel to pop them in mouth the entire game and if there is 10 seconds left in the 4th, 1st and goal for UTEP with UTEP up, I want to see him go Jumbo package with Hankins or Wadley and punch it in against them.

Last edited:
I'm really confused by the argument as to whether or not we should have scored on that last drive. Of course the staff did the right thing. In my years of watching football I can't remember any coach with a lead not taking a knee when doing so will run out the clock. I've seen coaches continue to attack in the fourth quarter while up several scores, but again, never, ever can I remember a coach with the game in the bag trying to score when taking a knee would run out the clock.

I realize that the risk of injury on any one play is relatively low, but it still exists. How many here would have crucified Dimel if he had tried to go for another score and a key player came up injured? The risk, though slight, wasn't worth the reward, which was absolutely nothing. The game was won. Take the knee, run out the clock, and start thinking about Texas.

I'm really confused by the argument as to whether or not we should have scored on that last drive. Of course the staff did the right thing. In my years of watching football I can't remember any coach with a lead not taking a knee when doing so will run out the clock. I've seen coaches continue to attack in the fourth quarter while up several scores, but again, never, ever can I remember a coach with the game in the bag trying to score when taking a knee would run out the clock.

I realize that the risk of injury on any one play is relatively low, but it still exists. How many here would have crucified Dimel if he had tried to go for another score and a key player came up injured? The risk, though slight, wasn't worth the reward, which was absolutely nothing. The game was won. Take the knee, run out the clock, and start thinking about Texas.
I grew up watching and taught the same thing. Play aggressive until they use all their time outs. Once we have the first down then eat up the clock or get into victory formation. I guess times have changed. I feel old.

The argument is fair by you and Corona, but why didn't we take a knee on the second to last play then? We were up 10 with less than a minute left on the clock. Hankins could have fumbled and SFA could have taken it to the house, recovered an onside kick and tied the game on a field goal.

I agree that the game was won and it was the polite thing to do etc, etc...my thing is I want to see more aggression the whole game. I dont care the score. I already explained why. Also I didn't like that the SFA defensive tackle jumped offside way too early and tackled Hankins in the backfield. I thought that was unsportsmanlike so I thought we should have punched it in and given Hankins his 3rd TD. He deserved it anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT