ADVERTISEMENT

SMU head coach search

Hopefully that doesn't happen but for the sake of wild and wooly speculation, who would be some good candidates for UTEP? Anyone on staff? SUU head coach?

I called it but I thought he would leave for Houston.

If Golding takes it he probably taking Boum with him.

We use to kick their asses in CUSA. Now they can take our coach without blinking if they wanted to. How times have changed.
He’s on the list. Doesn’t mean he is at the top of it. Especially considering how much smu and the fan base hate Coach goldings brother in law. All Colin deaver did is hurt coach goldings recruiting. Cannot wait till that dude leaves El Paso. Fake news media.

Reactions: shyminer81
He’s on the list. Doesn’t mean he is at the top of it. Especially considering how much smu and the fan base hate Coach goldings brother in law. All Colin deaver did is hurt coach goldings recruiting. Cannot wait till that dude leaves El Paso. Fake news media.
So true! All recruits are tuned into Deaver’s tweets. Most of the US also hangs onto an El Paso NBC affiliate’s Newsman’s tweets like they do Adam Shefter and Woj!!! Great point!

Obviously McCasland is at the top of the list. If he turns the job down then that will move Golding significantly up the list. If it is indeed fake news then I doubt SMU and Dallas journalists would run with it like they are doing.

Reactions: denverutep
So true! All recruits are tuned into Deaver’s tweets. Most of the US also hangs onto an El Paso NBC affiliate’s Newsman’s tweets like they do Adam Shefter and Woj!!! Great point!
The UTEP job has to be the toughest one in the country. Refs hate us and screw us over in important games and local news reporters hurt recruiting with fake news and NMSU coverage.

The UTEP job has to be the toughest one in the country. Refs hate us and screw us over in important games and local news reporters hurt recruiting with fake news and NMSU coverage.
It's up to Senter and Golding to make statements about this. If the statements are evasive then we can worry. If they say nothing then I guess we can continue to worry. If Golding says he absolutely isn't going anywhere, we really need to worry.

What statements can they make? Statements don’t mean crap in this business in these types of situations. Coaching is a business. Hopefully Senter doesn’t bite and give Golding a raise because he doesn’t deserve one.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
And this is how crap gets started. A reporter hears something from whomever and posts it. Kind of like the Sadler crap last year. Or Tang. We will never KNOW who is on anyone's list for sure.
I honestly don't think Golding is on anyone's list yet. Fedup is spot on. "IF' someone wants him, he's probably gone. Dude seems like a standup guy, though. Factor in everything and I think we keep him at least 4 years.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Golding is made from the same cloth as Beard. They're loyal to themselves and their pursuit to reach the top of the basketball ladder.

Beard was at Little Rock one year. At UNLV one week. Those guys will always take the next best job available. They're too smart to stay and not strike while the iron is hot. All it takes is a couple of bad years at a lower program and they're stuck in coaching purgatory.

Coaches have a fiduciary responsibility to their families. If some school offers you 3 times the pay for the same job you should take it. It's nice to think about duty and service and crap like that but at the end of the day, you're duty is to your family and yourself.

Damn....throwing Golding in the same pot without any basis. I am SHOCKED you did that. (eye roll) There is ZERO evidence he is like beard. He "seems to be" more of a hillbilly like Haskins. Doesn't mean he won't jump, and I wouldn't blame him, but to throw him in with beard is just wrong.

Wanting to be a college coach you have to be a tad off your gourd and they know it. It's hard on the spouse and kids (spouse has to wine n dine constantly and kids are pulled in and out school every 3 or years), you can't cement roots in your community, you're loved one day and despised the next, constant pressure to skirt the rules for the recruit or player (denied but it is still there as sports reports bear out yearly), the professors absolutely sneer at you because of the salary discrepancy because they have to bring in research grants but don't get no where near the pay for the pressure, and everyone in town thinks their players can play top tier athletics when NAIA schools don't give them a whiff so the HC gets blamed (this happened to Haskins constantly his entire career and was a thorn in his side), and no privacy what so ever.

NCAA refs stink all over. Big XII refs absolutely suck rocks. The NCAA needs to stop worrying about the three point line and setting solid picks to better training and CONSISTENT performance.

If you're in Tuscon, you got one school to cover, Arizona. If you are in a cross town, tri-community or similar, or have multiple schools, what you cover for the TV, radio or print is never, ever good enough. Can you imagine doing sports in Philly?! NMSU AD Moccia wants an El Paso TV media personality on standby practically (in jest) because he has nothing else that covers 250-300 miles. Local media wants the Las Cruces viewership because there is nothing else and El Paso is hooked on Spanish news. It's a no win situation. KVIA sports gets crap for covering Texas vs OU Red River Rivalry with live reporting. I actually feel for these guys. However, the El Paso Times is not a good newspaper because they are hot n cold. Consistency is a problem with our only local paper.

Last edited:
Damn....throwing Golding in the same pot without any basis. I am SHOCKED you did that. (eye roll) There is ZERO evidence he is like beard. He "seems to be" more of a hillbilly like Haskins. Doesn't mean he won't jump, and I wouldn't blame him, but to throw him in with beard is just wrong.
You’re just an old fuddy duddy. This isn’t the 1970s. Golding will definitely leave the first time he gets a better offer. Golding is like Beard, they all are. The only ones that aren’t, coach at loser schools in loser conferences.

Like Corona and I pointed out previously, if you stick around and are mediocre, eventually you will be fired and you will never get that good payday. Coaches have 1, maybe 2 chances to secure their family’s future.

It's well documented they're very close friends since their days at ACU in the early 90s.

Golding stayed at ACU for a decade but was it because of "commitment" and "loyalty" or because no one came for him?

We'll find out soon enough but the days of Haskins type of coaches staying in EP are long gone.

You’re just an old fuddy duddy. This isn’t the 1970s. Golding will definitely leave the first time he gets a better offer. Golding is like Beard, they all are. The only ones that aren’t, coach at loser schools in loser conferences.

Like Corona and I pointed out previously, if you stick around and are mediocre, eventually you will be fired and you will never get that good payday. Coaches have 1, maybe 2 chances to secure their family’s future.
He can have success at UTEP like Stansbury has had at WKU. How long will it take for the fans to turn on him the way WKU has turned on Rick? Coaching in a one bid league is very risky.

You remain a clown.
I SAID if someone wants him, he is gone. There ARE other factors though. Hi is a redneck and probably loves El Paso. His son just made friends and stated playing for Coronado. Move him out already? IDK. Is SMU the job he would really leave for? Yeah, money would move me, but I really don't think SMU is interested in him, nor do I feel he is interested in them.
He is definitely not like jackass beard. Money will probably take him away from us, but it isn't this gig. Again I will say.....we do not KNOW he is on their list. So calmate!

Reactions: mikesarabia
Don't get me wrong....I will state it once again.... I DO NOT BLAME HIM TO TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN......BUT....I don't think he is about just that

You remain a clown.
I SAID if someone wants him, he is gone. There ARE other factors though. Hi is a redneck and probably loves El Paso. His son just made friends and stated playing for Coronado. Move him out already? IDK. Is SMU the job he would really leave for? Yeah, money would move me, but I really don't think SMU is interested in him, nor do I feel he is interested in them.
He is definitely not like jackass beard. Money will probably take him away from us, but it isn't this gig. Again I will say.....we do not KNOW he is on their list. So calmate!
Rednecks love El Paso? Most rednecks don’t speak spanish and despise Mexicans, but okay. I’m pretty sure most people would not take their school children into consideration when they’re getting 4x the pay and going to a bigger and better city.

Maybe if he was a high school coach and he was moving to Midland for an extra $20k he would consider his son’s feelings. Not for millions and moving to Dallas from El Paso.

Rednecks love El Paso? Most rednecks don’t speak spanish and despise Mexicans, but okay. I’m pretty sure most people would not take their school children into consideration when they’re getting 4x the pay and going to a bigger and better city.

Maybe if he was a high school coach and he was moving to Midland for an extra $20k he would consider his son’s feelings. Not for millions and moving to Dallas from El Paso.
Would you want your son playing in a metro area with tons of D1 athletes? Naw I doubt it, Coronado has produced a countless list of HOF YMCA ballers.

Hey nobrains.....also remember job security. UTEP never fires anyone.

Obviously you don't have kids. I would TOTALLY discuss with my wife and son. Money is awesome, but...

I put my son in a great elementary school on the westside because it was close to my work AND it is a great school. I had to close that business. I ASKED my son where he wanted to go to school. Guess what? I drive west every day and will continue to do so. Kids DO matter. You think different you are an idiot. Money doesn't buy friends. My son's best friend was in town last week from Ft Worth. We spent all day together. She HATES her school and friends. Again....Kids DO matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT