ADVERTISEMENT

SMU head coach search

According to Golding himself, his son is a marginal player at best. Why would he want to go to a school where he plays ZERO minutes?

Hey nobrains.....also remember job security. UTEP never fires anyone.

Obviously you don't have kids. I would TOTALLY discuss with my wife and son. Money is awesome, but...

I put my son in a great elementary school on the westside because it was close to my work AND it is a great school. I had to close that business. I ASKED my son where he wanted to go to school. Guess what? I drive west every day and will continue to do so. Kids DO matter. You think different you are an idiot. Money doesn't buy friends. My son's best friend was in town last week from Ft Worth. We spent all day together. She HATES her school and friends. Again....Kids DO matter.
Kids definitely matter. Doubling (tripling?) your salary, even if only for a few years, matters as well. Your anecdote is great, but I severely doubt Golding’s decision hinges on a 15 year old’s preferences. Worst case, he can’t hack it at SMU and he sets his family up for generational wealth.

Again....friends matter with your kids. My son was devastated when his friend moved away. I can't imagine military families...

Kids definitely matter. Doubling (tripling?) your salary, even if only for a few years, matters as well. Your anecdote is great, but I severely doubt Golding’s decision hinges on a 15 year old’s preferences. Worst case, he can’t hack it at SMU and he sets his family up for generational wealth.
I can agree with this as well....however.....money isnt everything. Go to a big school. Get paid millions for 2 years. get fired and uproot your family AGAIN? meh.....Since I am not in that spot, nor will ever be, I just don't know....

Hey nobrains.....also remember job security. UTEP never fires anyone.

Obviously you don't have kids. I would TOTALLY discuss with my wife and son. Money is awesome, but...

I put my son in a great elementary school on the westside because it was close to my work AND it is a great school. I had to close that business. I ASKED my son where he wanted to go to school. Guess what? I drive west every day and will continue to do so. Kids DO matter. You think different you are an idiot. Money doesn't buy friends. My son's best friend was in town last week from Ft Worth. We spent all day together. She HATES her school and friends. Again....Kids DO matter.

That’s true, UTEP doesn’t fire anyone. If Golding doesn’t have ambition than he found the right place. I don’t think anyone here believes he will be coaching here for 20 years.

Yeah, kids do matter. That’s great you gave your son that choice, but that is something available for you to do. Don’t you run a bar? You don’t have a 8 to 5 job. So you can take your kid to school. Most people with “regular jobs” have schedules based on what their boss needs them to have. If you had a boss that needed you there at 8 or whatever, I bet your kid would be taking the bus to the nearest school in your neighborhood.

No bball coach with ambition is going to turn down a 4x paying better job. It’s different for you or me. We’re not coaching D1 basketball.

Reactions: denverutep
I can agree with this as well....however.....money isnt everything. Go to a big school. Get paid millions for 2 years. get fired and uproot your family AGAIN? meh.....Since I am not in that spot, nor will ever be, I just don't know....
It’s one of those things that I hope someone drills into Golding’s head. Sure he essentially “ruins” his son’s high school experience, but the kid won’t have to worry about money ever again. Plus I doubt their roots are that deep in EP since they’ve only been here a year compared to being in Abilene for about a decade. Tough to compare our situations to a college coach, but if I’m ever in a similar situation, I hope I take the money and set my great grand kids up for life.

Some kids want to test themselves against the best available and prove they can hang with them. Other are ok getting by. Not sure which way his kids lean. I can only imagine the competitive nature in them. The same way they made friends here in one year they can do over there. It's not like he's breaking up decade old friendships.

Coaches have a fiduciary responsibility to their families. If some school offers you 3 times the pay for the same job you should take it. It's nice to think about duty and service and crap like that but at the end of the day, you're duty is to your family and yourself.
This isn’t a knock on you, but the fact that honoring commitment is called “crap like that” says a lot about what’s important in society as a whole.

I agree, it doesn’t have much relevance in current time. In fact that kind of commitment is looked at as…well, like you said, crap.

It hasn’t always been the predominant attitude though.

Oh gosh this thread went down hill quick. Funny how most here think that others would do what they would do in their position. We don't know shit. Decisions are relative. Anybody here that has made a big decision did it for their own reasons.

Yes the concensus is that a lot of money sways decisions, but there are other deciding factors. If he gets offered the job then he will decide. Its pure speculation. Every year its the same thing. It is what it is. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't we will survive. We should never be in this situation in the first place.

Golding is not a basketball God. He hasn't shown he can recruit at a higher level yet. He hasn't shown that he is flexible in his defensive game plan. He hasnt won anything at UTEP yet. Give him some time. He has tons of energy and good relationships with players from what I am reading, but thats it so far. I think he would admit the same.

Oh gosh this thread went down hill quick. Funny how most here think that others would do what they would do in their position. We don't know shit. Decisions are relative. Anybody here that has made a big decision did it for their own reasons.

Yes the concensus is that a lot of money sways decisions, but there are other deciding factors. If he gets offered the job then he will decide. Its pure speculation. Every year its the same thing. It is what it is. I hope he stays, but if he doesn't we will survive. We should never be in this situation in the first place.

Golding is not a basketball God. He hasn't shown he can recruit at a higher level yet. He hasn't shown that he is flexible in his defensive game plan. He hasnt won anything at UTEP yet. Give him some time. He has tons of energy and good relationships with players from what I am reading, but thats it so far. I think he would admit the same.
Give it to Axing to bring calmness and logic back to any topic.

At the end of the day maybe he is fully aware of his short comings and doesn't want to wait another decade for the next opportunity to "move up."

Can he be successful at UTEP? Absolutely but it's not guaranteed.

Unfortunately our program might now be a stepping stone to a high mid major. Why risk failing when the opportunity to move up is here, now? Why put in the work when the end destination might be an AAC job?

When stories like this come out, they usually originate from the Coach's agent. Let see if we can get some more money/extension from existing school. How else would news like this come out? SMU isn't leaking it.

When stories like this come out, they usually originate from the Coach's agent. Let see if we can get some more money/extension from existing school. How else would news like this come out? SMU isn't leaking it.
I really don’t think he’s in a position of power here. I really don’t think the market is that big for him. Why would Senter give a raise to someone who couldn’t win a 2nd game in a shitty tournament? Senter is lucky enough he didn’t get crucified for extending Terry, and hiding it.

This isn’t a knock on you, but the fact that honoring commitment is called “crap like that” says a lot about what’s important in society as a whole.

I agree, it doesn’t have much relevance in current time. In fact that kind of commitment is looked at as…well, like you said, crap.

It hasn’t always been the predominant attitude though.
It's a lofty ideal that people value however the reality of "commitment" has never been true in this context. If a coach loses, the fan's ( and school's) commitment to the coach becomes crap. What colleges and fans want is a guy that will stay committed through the good times. If times are bad commitment goes out the window. That is gospel.

It's a lofty ideal that people value however the reality of "commitment" has never been true in this context. If a coach loses, the fan's ( and school's) commitment to the coach becomes crap. What colleges and fans want is a guy that will stay committed through the good times. If times are bad commitment goes out the window. That is gospel.
I can’t disagree with that. Again, hope you didn’t take it as a shot at you. When I said “as a whole”, that’s what I meant.

Where I disagree is that there was a time where commitment, through the good times and the bad, was more than a just lofty ideal.

Also, when I say commitment, I mean through the duration of the contract. Not lifelong.

With that said, I wanted CTF, CRT, CDD fired before their contract was up. I’m part of that whole, that experiences and lives in the current reality.

Sometimes, I just miss the good ole days, where a handshake (speaking metaphorically) meant something. Call me nostalgic.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
When Golding arrived, he was on Sportstalk and Kappy asked him about what he did do if a bigger and better job came calling.

He replied with something to the effect of, "this is where my feet are now and I am all in where my feet are at."

Golding would leave in a heartbeat.
I think everybody speaking for Golding is speaking for themselves in reality.

Maybe he would. Maybe he wouldn’t. I think it just depends.

When Golding arrived, he was on Sportstalk and Kappy asked him about what he did do if a bigger and better job came calling.

He replied with something to the effect of, "this is where my feet are now and I am all in where my feet are at."

Golding would leave in a heartbeat.
Yes and he should!

UTEP’s only hopes of having a long term coach are ones that have already failed at the big time. Murray St just re-hired the coach that left them high and dry for Iowa St several years ago. He will probably stay there a bit longer this time. Not everything is personal.

Reactions: denverutep
Will Wade? The guy LSU had to fire over an open NCAA investigation? Yeah not likely. Tim Hardaway ? When has he ever coached? Odd list
Give it to Billy Gillespie. I think he is ready to settle down and wont look to jump.

Wow…when I said let the overreaction begin, it began!
But seriously, this is all speculation at this point. UNT is working hard to make a deal for McCasland and let’s see what happens there first. As for Golding, I love the guy but if I was offered a 60% raise and had to relocate to Highland Park, TX, that’s a no brainer. If he didn’t take it, I would worry about his decision making. We can speak to loyalty all we want, but who on here wouldn’t do the same in their current job? And whose family on here, wouldn’t kill if you if you didn’t take it. Utep could possibly be a rebuild again this year, so take it when you can.

Someone mentioned Greg Foster. I'm re-watching Curb your Enthusiasm season 2 episode 8 and who do I see on my big screen? Greg ****ing Foster. I asked myself did I miss this the first time I watched the show?

Wow…when I said let the overreaction begin, it began!
But seriously, this is all speculation at this point. UNT is working hard to make a deal for McCasland and let’s see what happens there first. As for Golding, I love the guy but if I was offered a 60% raise and had to relocate to Highland Park, TX, that’s a no brainer. If he didn’t take it, I would worry about his decision making. We can speak to loyalty all we want, but who on here wouldn’t do the same in their current job? And whose family on here, wouldn’t kill if you if you didn’t take it. Utep could possibly be a rebuild again this year, so take it when you can.
I'm hoping if Golding does leave, Senter will just hire Moccia's new hire at NMSU. That's a win win in my book. 😉

For what it's worth I definitely don't think he leaves this year, but if he gets UTEP to NCAA be t hear we could very well lose him.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I can’t disagree with that. Again, hope you didn’t take it as a shot at you. When I said “as a whole”, that’s what I meant.

Where I disagree is that there was a time where commitment, through the good times and the bad, was more than a just lofty ideal.

Also, when I say commitment, I mean through the duration of the contract. Not lifelong.

With that said, I wanted CTF, CRT, CDD fired before their contract was up. I’m part of that whole, that experiences and lives in the current reality.

Sometimes, I just miss the good ole days, where a handshake (speaking metaphorically) meant something. Call me nostalgic.
I don't take things personally but thanks for being gracious and gentlemanly. Any debate here is taken with a grain of salt. We're all Miners and we are all on the same team. I wish we could go back to the Haskins era but the older I get the more I realize that may have been a once in a lifetime thing.

Disagree. He should honor his contract and earn a pay increase at UTEP..or jump at another job offer if he wants. If I'm the AD I'm not increasing his pay right now. Golding needs to keep recruiting.
UTEP needs to stop being cheap and pay up. People always saying Utep needs to invest more. If UTEP paid more then maybe coaches wouldn't be leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT