Sun Bowl renovations

Discussion in 'MinerDigs' started by Minerinciter, Aug 7, 2018.

1. unihorn

unihorn MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

No one cares about your ideas. You’re a nobody. You don’t support the program in any way.

2. John 100

John 100 Rookie
    Expand Collapse

As usual, you have no clue what you're talking about. I have been supporting UTEP for many years. You didn't even graduate from UTEP. Go post on your Longhorn board.

Pony10, Realm-Fx and HoneyBoy95 like this.
  3. HoneyBoy95

HoneyBoy95 Rookie
    Expand Collapse

These guys have no clue. Only think that you or I, don't care and wish failure upon UTEP. Not the case, we just don't celebrate moral victories and suck UTEP's dick.

Realm-Fx and John 100 like this.
  4. unihorn

unihorn MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Correct — you suck eachother’s.

5. HoneyBoy95

HoneyBoy95 Rookie
    Expand Collapse

Consider yourself uninvited to my swingers party at Groundrounds mountain hideaway.

Hot For Keitha, Realm-Fx and John 100 like this.
  6. John 100

John 100 Rookie
    Expand Collapse

I'm having a Slingers party. :D

Realm-Fx and HoneyBoy95 like this.
  7. axingfools1

axingfools1 MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

So you constantly belittle, patronize and undermine everything about UTEP/CUSA and its fans, but secretly go to games because you want too. OK. I think there is a term for that.

8. Minerinciter

Minerinciter MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

9. JCorona

JCorona MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Bumped cuz I’m still mad Senter’s first major project won’t be complete in the next few months as scheduled.

CUSA Texas schools making moves.

Minerforlife likes this.
  10. Minerforlife

Minerforlife MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

An absolute embarrassment. Half the high schools in Texas have indoor facilities. We have fallen behind UNT and UTSA in athletics. That's painful to type. We got passed by Houston and SMU and didnt learn a damn thing. The Sun Bowl debacle is an epic cluster****. Totally inexcusable. It pretty much sums up the last decade of UTEP athletics.

11. UTEPMiners8106

UTEPMiners8106 MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

We are just a little over a year and a half into his tenure so I’m still reserving judgement. While other schools are up and off the ground we’re still stuck in neutral, but at the same time I don’t know what another AD, or anyone for that matter could have done to right the mess Stull/Kugler/Floyd/Natalicio left. Could someone else have turned it around quicker? I don’t know. I read where the new President cares about athletics so let’s hope that’s a massive step in the right direction, and if The AD/coaches aren’t up to the task they will be removed.

MistaBinks likes this.
  12. JCorona

JCorona MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

At least we are still ahead of Texas St, right? I don’t know cuz yesterday on 130 I saw a cool Bud Light 18 wheeler decked out in Texas St graphics. It’s on my Twitter feed if anyone wants to see it.

13. utep2step

utep2step MI Miner Maniac
    Expand Collapse

UTEP has a nice rig too.

14. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

Some people on this board didn't think that a indoor practice facility was necessary because we have all this sunshine and it rarely gets cold in the winter.

15. FeralFelidae

FeralFelidae MI Miner Maniac
    Expand Collapse

I'm one of those people. Maybe 10 items down the line, but I think there are much better, more pressing uses for money at this time. Obviously the Sun Bowl itself requires renovation. Also, coach salaries need to be brought out of the gutter.

We have a state of the art basketball practice facility; has that translated directly into basketball success? It should have given us some marginal advantage over the competition, but we've had much bigger problems more than offsetting any accrued benefits from that.

It's all a little hypocritical of me to say, when Northwestern has recently completed arguably the nicest indoor practice facility of all. But Northwestern is in Big Ten country where it does get frigid cold. The facility is being used for ALL sports programs, not just football. The facility has been used to host sporting events (such as lacrosse games) when the outside weather is uncooperative. And the facility overlooks Lake Michigan, so the location itself makes it a bit unique as a recruiting tool. Having a scenic view on the lakefront of Lake Michigan is pretty cool.

[​IMG]

The price-tag is $270 million.

ZonaMiner and Minerinciter like this.
  16. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

The Cole and Jeannie Davis Sports Center is Arizona Athletics’ state-of-the-art indoor, climate-controlled practice facility opened in February of 2019. The $16.5 million project transformed Arizona Athletics as well as created an important landmark for the University of Arizona campus. A powerful $8 million dollar gift from Cole and Jeannie Davis led the construction effort of the final project of the athletics department’s $66 million capital campaign of five key construction projects. The Davis Sports Center is a vital practice and training facility for Arizona Football and other programs as well as a key hospitality and fan experience area for home football games across the street at Arizona Stadium.
    https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2019/2/26/facilities-davis-sports-center.aspx
    University of Arizona fans have spoken, and UA athletic department officials have announced enhancements to the football fan experience for 2019, based on the feedback of past ticket-holders.

"Providing the best fan experience possible is extremely important to me," said Arizona vice president and director of athletics Dave Heeke, in a release posted on the UA athletics website. "We talk a lot about providing a championship experience at Arizona Athletics, and we are committed to bringing that to our great fans coming to Arizona Stadium on Saturdays."

A new Skybox Club premium seating area will offer a first-class experience in a modern and reimagined space at midfield along the west side of Arizona Stadium.

The Cole and Jeannie Davis Sports Center, Arizona's new indoor facility across the street from Arizona Stadium, will be an integral part of pregame hospitality.

A new festival area on the stadium's west side will will serve food and drinks to fans watching the game on new television displays.

Improved television displays and audio will be installed inside the stadium, with multiple TVs that will be installed in the concourse areas to ensure fans aren’t disconnected from the game upon leaving their seats.

The port-a-potties on the stadium's ground level will be replaced with first-class restroom trailers.

Soft lighting will brighten concourse areas. Concourses will feature more local food vendors in the categories of pizza, BBQ and sandwiches, and more credit card machines are being added to increase the speed of concessions lines.

All of these upgrades are in addition to those that debuted for the 2018 season. They included:

Beer and Wine Sales: Implementation of safe and responsible beer and wine sales throughout Arizona Stadium.
    New Food Vendors: Addition of new, local food vendors such as eegees, Epic Cafe and BrushFire BBQ and Sweet Doug Co. Donuts.
    Lowered Prices: New, affordable season and single game ticket prices in several areas.
    In-Game Changes: More air time for the Pride of Arizona and video screen time for in-game scores and stats.
    PA Addition: Jeff Dean, the voice of Arizona Basketball in McKale Center, began his tenure as the public address announcer at Arizona Stadium in 2018.
    Fireworks: More fireworks at Arizona Stadium, including every time the Wildcats score.
    Renovated East Side: $30 million transformation of the lower east side of Arizona Stadium.
    https://www.athleticbusiness.com/st...nounces-football-fan-experience-upgrades.html

17. OsoFromELP

OsoFromELP All Star
    Expand Collapse

Minerinciter likes this.
  18. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

JCorona likes this.
  19. jdubb66

jdubb66 MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Is it wrong to be thinking of getting a wheel chair just to sit in the new ADA section?

20. JCorona

JCorona MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Yes. My mom always told me that if I sat in a wheelchair without needing one I would end up in one permanently. I still believe her.

Dmanminer, jdubb66 and FanatiCoog like this.
  21. utep2step

Expand Collapse

Life, do you have friends from major program schools? Get their input. Input I get is the facilities are pretty good. One Nebraska fan who lives in El Paso stated on twitter how pretty good the facilities are so why is UTEP under performing so badly?

22. jdubb66

jdubb66 MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

I still expect to go blind :(.

MinerManiac likes this.
  23. Minerforlife

Minerforlife MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Have you seen many other schools facilities. Ours are big. They arent nice and amenities wise are way behind. I will give you and example. Last week I was down South in Alabama playing golf on the Robert trent Jones Golf Trail with some big clients. One morning one of the guys a Troy alumn takes me to see all the upgrades Troy has made to their facilities. I had never been to Troy before. I was completely blown away. Their stadium is really nice. 27 suites, a giant club section and two really big party suites. Last year they added and new endzone facility which has 500 club seats, and has a state of the art athletic training facility and recruiting lounge. They have a giant new video board. They moved their old one to the other side of the stadium. It far exceeds anything the Sun Bowl has. The entire time I'm touring their facilities I'm thinking this is f****** Troy. We are way behind Troy facilities wise. That's just one example.

They have a five year old arena for basketball. It blows away the Haskins center.

This is just one example. There are many more like it. Our facilities are big. Bigger than they need to be. The Sun Bowl is scenic. Our facilities are so far behind amenities wise it's not funny. We are being passed facilities wise by sun belt schools.

24. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

Soccer/ Track facility:
    https://troytrojans.com/facilities/?id=2

25. UTEPMiners8106

Expand Collapse

If UTEP were to build suites would anyone even pay for it?

axingfools1 likes this.
  26. JCorona

JCorona MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

I think they would sell well even during down seasons. There’s a large market of wealthy locals that UTEP can tap into. As it stands now the Sun Bowl is not very inviting to that social class.

27. UTEPMiners8106

Expand Collapse

I would love for UTEP to invest in something like this, but at the same time if people aren’t willing to spend 10-20 bucks for a ticket I don’t know if people are going to spend mega money for suites if UTEP sucks.

28. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

Another Sun Belt Conference school: University of South Alabama:

29. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

kickballpro and utep2step like this.
  30. FarWestTexas

FarWestTexas All Star
    Expand Collapse

Is construction still delayed? Good thing EP Contractors bought all those tickets for the 1st game.

31. kickballpro

kickballpro MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Basically the article said they want to make the tailgate experience more fun and less confusing. And then it list stuff about permits, arrival times, reservations, grills, you know, a bunch of confusing stuff

minermx07 likes this.
  32. utep2step

Expand Collapse

Just. Win. Games.

Dmanminer, develman and utep-piggy like this.
  33. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum has completed a $315 million renovation revealed Thursday. The project included replacing every seat in the stadium, as well as adding suites and video screens throughout. Wi-Fi upgrades were installed, along with new lighting, electrical and plumbing systems. The stadium’s capacity was reduced to 77,500 from 93,000 as part of the renovation. The renovated facility will host its first game on Aug. 24, when the Los Angeles Rams welcome the Denver Broncos for a preseason matchup. A week later, the University of Southern California will kick off its 2019 campaign at the stadium against Fresno State. — cbslocal.com

Old Dominion University is nearly finished with S.B. Ballard Stadium. The $67.5 million project will play host to six ODU games this year, beginning with Norfolk State at the end of August. The facility features new lights, a video board, a synthetic turf field and seating for more than 21,000 fans. Media were invited to tour the facility this week. — WAVY

The University of Iowa is putting the finishing touches on its north end zone renovation project, but the bulk of the work on the $89.9 million facility is complete. The work includes the 17,000-square-foot Ted Pacha Family Club, which offers club seating, private restrooms, televisions and Wi-Fi. The project took about 1,500 seats out of the stadium, and the facility should be 100 percent ready by the start of this season. — The Gazette

34. kickballpro

kickballpro MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Rumor has it that the reason that Sun Bowl renovations have stalled is that several metal bleachers have been deemed to have historic significance.

35. jdubb66

jdubb66 MI Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Damn you Grossman.

36. Dmanminer

Dmanminer All Star
    Expand Collapse

A China man once sat there, also rumor has it someone got a hand job in row 50.

FanatiCoog and kickballpro like this.
  37. UTEPMiners8106

Expand Collapse

That’s why they’ll never build anything on the mountain around the Sun Bowl.

Dmanminer likes this.
  38. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

39. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse

cc: @JimSenter2 @UTEPAthletics @UTEP

40. Minerinciter

Expand Collapse