ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

Wrong hires. The only thing that 4 wins get you, is not being in the bottom 25. Still no Bowl games or exposure. Settling for mediocrity is why we hired Kugler and Dismel. UTEP fans told the administrators we like mediocre shit. That’s why we have it.
All I’m saying is that in this scenario the majority of the fan base was correct. Once Price was fired we would return to the 1 and 2 win seasons.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
All I’m saying is that in this scenario the majority of the fan base was correct. Once Price was fired we would return to the 1 and 2 win seasons.

Doesn’t mean he should have kept his job. Please tell me how much better it is to win 4 games a year instead of 1.

Doesn’t mean he should have kept his job. Please tell me how much better it is to win 4 games a year instead of 1.
As I have explained before his average here at UTEP was 5-7. There were countless games that were competitive and could have gone either way. We were always on the edge of breaking through. Now we’re on the edge of beating an FBS team. IMO I enjoyed the price years much more than I have the last seven.

As I have explained before his average here at UTEP was 5-7. There were countless games that were competitive and could have gone either way. We were always on the edge of breaking through. Now we’re on the edge of beating an FBS team. IMO I enjoyed the price years much more than I have the last seven.

Most people enjoyed those years better. Not really saying much. If you’re missing bowl games year after year, it doesn’t matter how many wins you have.

This “argument” is why we should just shut this shit down. There’s no point of having a FBS team if people consider 4 wins “enjoyable”.

Most people enjoyed those years better. Not really saying much. If you’re missing bowl games year after year, it doesn’t matter how many wins you have.

This “argument” is why we should just shut this shit down. There’s no point of having a FBS team if people consider 4 wins “enjoyable”.
So we should shut the program down because I enjoyed mediocracy better than being a bottom dweller? I know we will never be UCF or Boise St but having a team that can constantly win any where from four to eight games is a realistic goal. And with Price we were there. A few calls our way and he would have a statute outside the Sun Bowl.

So we should shut the program down because I enjoyed mediocracy better than being a bottom dweller? I know we will never be UCF or Boise St but having a team that can constantly win any where from four to eight games is a realistic goal. And with Price we were there. A few calls our way and he would have a statute outside the Sun Bowl.

That’s part of it. We should drop to FCS or drop all together because we don’t make Bowl games, we don’t win them, we don’t upset anyone, and we hired Dismel and still kept him. Apparently, he gets to keep his whole coaching staff after 2-22. I mean really, what’s the point anymore? If UTEP doesn’t care, why should the fans?

I dont think we know the potential of the football program because it's never been fully funded. We should copy UNLV. Their football coach always made less than the hoops coach. Their basketball history and pedigree dwarfs ours. They were paying Tony Sanchez 650,000 per year. Their new coach marcus Arroyo was the offensive coordinator at Oregon. Hed getting 1.5 million a year. They are paying their hoops coach 1.2 million a year. That's a model we should follow.

That’s part of it. We should drop to FCS or drop all together because we don’t make Bowl games, we don’t win them, we don’t upset anyone, and we hired Dismel and still kept him. Apparently, he gets to keep his whole coaching staff after 2-22. I mean really, what’s the point anymore? If UTEP doesn’t care, why should the fans?

FCS would be worse financially for UTEP than FBS. If you drop football down you hurt the entire athletic department.

I see what you’re saying but IMO the let’s quit attitude is more toxic than the mediocrity mindset. Both shitty. I rather keep the team and keep trying this football thing.

I dont think we know the potential of the football program because it's never been fully funded. We should copy UNLV. Their football coach always made less than the hoops coach. Their basketball history and pedigree dwarfs ours. They were paying Tony Sanchez 650,000 per year. Their new coach marcus Arroyo was the offensive coordinator at Oregon. Hed getting 1.5 million a year. They are paying their hoops coach 1.2 million a year. That's a model we should follow.
Even if we fully funded the football program we still have so much catching up to do. And we’re not trying to catch Houston or SMU we’re trying to keep up with UNT and UTSA.

It won’t happen but Briles is looking for a job and he’ll do it on the cheap. He was asking UNM for 375k a year.

I see what you’re saying but IMO the let’s quit attitude is more toxic than the mediocrity mindset. Both shitty. I rather keep the team and keep trying this football thing.

We’ve “been trying” for 50 years! You would not keep a money losing business around that long. How much longer do you propose we keep trying?

We’ve “been trying” for 50 years! You would not keep a money losing business around that long. How much longer do you propose we keep trying?
Until we get it right.

Prior to hiring Fuentes and Norvell Memphis had only made six bowls game in their history. Since those hires they have made six straight bowls and are playing in the Access Bowl this year.

Until we get it right.

Prior to hiring Fuentes and Norvell Memphis had only made six bowls game in their history. Since those hires they have made six straight bowls and are playing in the Access Bowl this year.

Yes, but they’ve only had a team since 1960 and had many winning seasons before they made their first bowl game. They would have made more bowls had there been more bowls back then. Maybe Since 1967, you could only argue that the 1970 and 87 teams would have been bowling here.

When the majority of your fan base is saying stuff like “He needs another year”, “Who are we going to get that’s better”, “Winning 4 games is better than 1”, “He just needs 1 more guy”, and fans continuously attend games, there’s no reason for Stull to fire them.

Fans need to stop going when they want change. Attending only shows people like Stull and Senter you’re okay with their hires.

That’s backwards — people need to start supporting the program so they have a voice... of you don’t show that shows no one cares — don’t know why no one can figure this out ?

That’s backwards — people need to start supporting the program so they have a voice... of you don’t show that shows no one cares — don’t know why no one can figure this out ?

If 50,000 fans are going to the games, how does Senter know something is wrong? His stadium is at 100% capacity. Why would he change something?

If you had a restaurant and you had no empty tables day after day, you would think you’re killing it, wouldn’t you? After a month, if you had more and more empty tables, wouldn’t you think to yourself, change is needed? Maybe your food or service sucks, you would need to figure it out. If you’re at capacity, you don’t have to change anything, because you’re selling out.

Consumers don’t go to shitty restaurants, they will go to better ones. Fans are consumers, they’re just not going to show up for 1 home win in the last 18 games; just like you wouldn’t keep going to a restaurant that gave you 1 good meal out of 18.

If 50,000 fans are going to the games, how does Senter know something is wrong? His stadium is at 100% capacity. Why would he change something?

If you had a restaurant and you had no empty tables day after day, you would think you’re killing it, wouldn’t you? After a month, if you had more and more empty tables, wouldn’t you think to yourself, change is needed? Maybe your food or service sucks, you would need to figure it out. If you’re at capacity, you don’t have to change anything, because you’re selling out.

Consumers don’t go to shitty restaurants, they will go to better ones. Fans are consumers, they’re just not going to show up for 1 home win in the last 18 games; just like you wouldn’t keep going to a restaurant that gave you 1 good meal out of 18.
Under your scenario the restaurant would go bankrupt and close forever.

What if that was the only restaurant in the city and there was a small but strong group of people who wanted to support and help it get through until better times?

Under your scenario the restaurant would go bankrupt and close forever.

What if that was the only restaurant in the city and there was a small but strong group of people who wanted to support and help it get through until better times?

That’s their choice, but you have to understand why others choose not to go. It’s not the fans fault and it’s never the fans fault the team sucks. The fans didn’t vote to hire Dismel and even then, he recruits the players and calls the plays.

All you have to do is ask Oregon.... they were at full capacity and helfrich started doing crap there... those fans did not quit going they made noise and said they want him the hell out of there and guess what? He was gone.. and they made an improvement.. why?? Because the people had power to have a say... and don’t tell me that’s totally different because it’s not... fans here would have that power too if we averaged over 40k ... it’s simple you can’t complain if you don’t vote... very simple

Senter or even Stull are not idiots. It’s obvious the football program sucks. Stull did nothing cause of loyalty and laziness. Appears that Senter made a bad decision and now is stuck with it. Let’s just hope it’s not his ego that stopping him from making a change.
If we had 50,000 people show up to every game for just one year, that mistake would be gone.

Reactions: JCorona

Helfrich also led them to a the national championship. They weren't down long one season. Every school that has rebuilt a winning rmtradition started with very little fan support. Baylor was drawing flies when Guy Morris was the coach. They brought in Briles wins came the fans came a billion dollars in investment flowed in. The same thing at Houston. Dimel killed attendance and almost the program. They were drawing 5000 at Robertson stadium. Briles comes in they start winning the fans came back investment flowed in and now they have facilities second to none. At the end of Pat zmSulivan's tenure at TCU there were almost more players in sidelines than fans in the stands. Franchione comes in wins fans come back. Patterson's takes over and takes them further. Investment flows in. Among Carter Stadium has had 400 million put into renovations. They then put 90 million into their arena and pumped money into their baseball stadium which is nicer than almost any minor league park.

I'm not advocating people stop going to games. However, its unrealistic to expect people to pack the Sun Bowl when the team is 2-34 over the past three seasons and only beat one fbs school. There is no school in America that would bring out fans with that record. To make matters worse Senter hires a coach who was responsible for almost killing UH's football program. Hes given people no reason to invest in the program. People want a reason to believe. They want to know the administration is committed to winning. UTEP is the only school in America a coach can post a 9- 50 record in his last five years as an fbs coach and keep his job. TCU, Houston and Baylor prove if you invest in the program hire a winner the fans will come investment will come and facilities will come.

I'd rather loose with dignity than win with Briles as the UTEP football coach.

Thats the “looser” mentality that most fans have and that’s why we suck.

You would rather be mediocre or awful, so Gillispie, Sadler, and Barbee don’t leave.

I would buy season tickets for 5 years if they hired Briles. He wouldn’t go 2-22 in his first two seasons like “looser” Dismel.

da0ad3ce-4b58-4e3a-8187-3bc864502544_text.gif

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, look at The Astros. Yeah they lost some picks, and their manager got fired. But at the end of the day they kept their World Series. A lot of people might argue that was a fair trade. North Carolina, FSU and every other school pulls their BS to get to the top and stay there. Sometimes it makes me feel like if you’re doing things the right way with an ethic you’re an idiot. I’m certainly not advocating for some Art Briles woman beating coverup. But maybe some dirty test scores, or even the Jesus Shuttlesworth treatment on some recruiting trips

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, look at The Astros. Yeah they lost some picks, and their manager got fired. But at the end of the day they kept their World Series. A lot of people might argue that was a fair trade. North Carolina, FSU and every other school pulls their BS to get to the top and stay there. Sometimes it makes me feel like if you’re doing things the right way with an ethic you’re an idiot. I’m certainly not advocating for some Art Briles woman beating coverup. But maybe some dirty test scores, or even the Jesus Shuttlesworth treatment on some recruiting trips
Not only do I disagree with everything you wrote, but on a pragmatic level, the UTEPs of the world don't ever get away with it. UTEP was hit with probation in the '90s and it put an end to their era of basketball dominance; they never really recovered. UTEP is not in a cartel conference and won't get the special cartel treatment.

Not only do I disagree with everything you wrote, but on a pragmatic level, the UTEPs of the world don't ever get away with it. UTEP was hit with probation in the '90s and it put an end to their era of basketball dominance; they never really recovered. UTEP is not in a cartel conference and won't get the special cartel treatment.

I would take another 83-84 thru 92-93 run for some probation. 8 NCAAs and 1 NIT. Worth it.

I agree 100%. But that is the BS in this. The rules really only apply to the little people. Look at the UT System, every school in the system can’t use school money to fund the athletic dept. That’s fine and dandy if you’re UT, making money hand over fist with mega donors. And look at UAB football getting the axe by the Alabama board. Every day the powers that be are making it a little harder for schools to be competitive.

I understand that cheating is wrong and like you said; UTEP would get crucified for a minor infraction. But when you look at sports nowadays the old saying that “cheaters never win” is flat out bs.

You would rather be mediocre or awful, so Gillispie, Sadler, and Barbee don’t leave.

I would buy season tickets for 5 years if they hired Briles. He wouldn’t go 2-22 in his first two seasons like “looser” Dismel.

Briles is a scumbag.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

NCAA would make an example of us without hesitation.

Dimel has to have this team show improvement next year. In a couple games you could see players mouthing “we suck”. The feeling of ineptness will spread like a cancer thru the team and we’ll see the transfers. With Jimmy Johnson’s HOF enshrinement, I’ve been watching alot of YouTube vids of his coaching...remembering his greatnesss...he was a positive thinker and motivator but still put his foot in players asses when he had to. This team is sorely in need of DISCIPLINE.

I say no camp in Ruidoso next year. Ask the base commander if the team could have camp at Ft. Bliss next year and bring in some Drill Sgts and smoke the shit outta the team.

Last edited:
I thought the same way until a few months ago. El Paso has supported UTEP and UTEP isn't delivering from their end. People aren't going to pay money for poop. And right now UTEP athletics is poop. I have purchased football and basketball season tickets for the past 11 years, and I don't even live in El Paso anymore. I will not be renewing my season tickets for next season. I am so frustrated with UTEP athletics right now. If UTEP doesn't seem to care, why should the fans???

Have you seen the stuff this guy did? Turning your back on a problem multiple times; continually hiding the truth and assisting to make the victims of the problem suffer more so the problem goes away; inexcusable. There is a difference between bending the rules and cheating to win and making other people suffer to win. UTEP is better of with out that "winning" mentality.

Briles is a scumbag.

Yes he is, and Baylor has a track record of hiring scum bags like Briles and Dave Bliss.

Reactions: unihorn
Have you seen the stuff this guy did? Turning your back on a problem multiple times; continually hiding the truth and assisting to make the victims of the problem suffer more so the problem goes away; inexcusable. There is a difference between bending the rules and cheating to win and making other people suffer to win. UTEP is better of with out that "winning" mentality.

Yeah I’m aware of his issues. However, at UTEP these are the coaches and players you give a second chance to. We are not Duke or Northwestern and can allege we have high morals like them.

He would bring much needed attention and excitement around the football program, which is much needed.

The rumor is that nobody wanted to HC job except for Dismel and after he’s done running it further into the ground, you think there will be better candidates????

UTEP can hire Briles or hope they can convince the DB Coach from Sam Houston St to come here or some current high school coach. This job is trash and Dismel is adding bags of human feces every week to this pile.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT