ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

If UTEP ever wants to built an indoor practice facility, maybe they should consider the Drake University model in getting it done:

Reactions: Rot
Only $666 per game for an end zone seat, not including the 20 grand in order to get that great opportunity. Ridiculous

UT will sell those out easily. A friend of mine had to pay a donor fee to be on the list to get season tickets the following year, if any opened up.
A lot of UT alumni have deep pockets. While I’m sure there are UTEP alumni who have elders pockets as well(I’ve talked to a few in the DFW area from my grad year), they’re just not interested in investing in a losing program. Sad since, programs need $$ to improve

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Looks to be a crappy view, seat wise. I guess you get a great view of the extra points. At 20,000 thou I'm sure a craft beer and hand crafted brat will cost you another 50$

Looks to be a crappy view, seat wise. I guess you get a great view of the extra points. At 20,000 thou I'm sure a craft beer and hand crafted brat will cost you another 50$

The post above says "food and beverage is included." That said, at $20,000 up front plus $4,000 per year per seat those brats and craft beers are costing more than $50 unless you're Butterbean or Andre the Giant.

Last edited:
Oh well I guess the millionaires got eat somehow. Really nice of UT to pay for their meals. At UTEP you have to crawl over other fans to get that free pizza thrown into stands. (and it comes cold and with a slice missing)

Wild man is so annoying. We don’t have money to do a 15 million renovation in time. Or 2 million to fire our pathetic coach and he really thinks we’re worried about an ipf right now. F*ck off and stop rubbing it in every chance you get.

Reactions: picks up
Wild man is so annoying. We don’t have money to do a 15 million renovation in time. Or 2 million to fire our pathetic coach and he really thinks we’re worried about an ipf right now. F*ck off and stop rubbing it in every chance you get.

He’s right about one thing, it is the kind of thing recruits look for. We are just getting further and further away from keeping up with the Joneses.

If you soccer heads want to see anything that is FIFA® related events (Friendlies, Qualifiers) USMNT, USWNT. The El Paso Sports Commission and UTEP needs to step up. Look at what Denver is doing to bring WC2026 to the new Mile High Stadium:

The dream of bringing World Cup soccer to Denver is closer to reality with the nearing completion of a major revision at Broncos Stadium.

The venue has been illuminated since 2001 by outdated metal halide bulbs which lack energy efficiency and require lengthy power-up times. Construction crews this month are expected to finish installation for thousands of LED bulbs that will light up the seating bowl and field. It’s good news for Broncos Country, but the long-term implications suggest a boon for soccer lovers, too.

The 2026 World Cup is headed to North America with Denver among 17 U.S. cities in contention for 10 locations to hold games. Earning a bid requires meeting FIFA stadium standards, and in some areas such as lighting, Mile High fell short. It’s among several reasons why the team’s Stadium Management Company contracted Musco Sports Lighting to upgrade Broncos Stadium as part of its $8.3 million budget for repairs and replacements in 2019.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/...roncos-stadium/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

If you soccer heads want to see anything that is FIFA® related events (Friendlies, Qualifiers) USMNT, USWNT. The El Paso Sports Commission and UTEP needs to step up. Look at what Denver is doing to bring WC2026 to the new Mile High Stadium:

El Paso would never be in consideration for hosting any World Cup or any high level FIFA tournament. El Paso would be wasting money improving the Sun Bowl or building a new stadium for the slight chance of hosting a US friendly.

El Paso would never be in consideration for hosting any World Cup or any high level FIFA tournament. El Paso would be wasting money improving the Sun Bowl or building a new stadium for the slight chance of hosting a US friendly.

I agree. Since 94, when Albuquerque hosted WC games stadiums have improved by leaps and bounds, and the new NFL stadiums are preferred. I don’t care how much money they pump into The Sun Bowl there it can’t complete with NFL stadiums and even most MLS arenas.

I agree. Since 94, when Albuquerque hosted WC games stadiums have improved by leaps and bounds, and the new NFL stadiums are preferred. I don’t care how much money they pump into The Sun Bowl there it can’t complete with NFL stadiums and even most MLS arenas.

Yuup. UTEP or another promoter needs to try and get a Mexico friendly here, but it would have to be versus Nicaragua or a low level country. US vs Mexico will never be here. The Sun Bowl just isn’t a desirable location for major soccer games.

Reactions: kickballpro

The dream of bringing World Cup soccer to Denver is closer to reality with the nearing completion of a major revision at Broncos Stadium.

The venue has been illuminated since 2001 by outdated metal halide bulbs which lack energy efficiency and require lengthy power-up times. Construction crews this month are expected to finish installation for thousands of LED bulbs that will light up the seating bowl and field. It’s good news for Broncos Country, but the long-term implications suggest a boon for soccer lovers, too.

The 2026 World Cup is headed to North America with Denver among 17 U.S. cities in contention for 10 locations to hold games. Earning a bid requires meeting FIFA stadium standards, and in some areas such as lighting, Mile High fell short. It’s among several reasons why the team’s Stadium Management Company contracted Musco Sports Lighting to upgrade Broncos Stadium as part of its $8.3 million budget for repairs and replacements in 2019.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/...roncos-stadium/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Denver could just pay FIFA under the table. Worked for Qatar. I mean they didn't even have stadiums!

It's ok, I'm sure if El Paso got a game it would be Mexico anyways.

Wait, is the Sun Bowl better or equal to most venues in Mexico (Monterrey and Guadalajara)? We might be on to something here since we are the biggest combined border town and the WC includes US and Mexico sites (along with Canada). We weren't even one of the 26 rejected sites?

Reactions: Minerinciter
It's ok, I'm sure if El Paso got a game it would be Mexico anyways.

Wait, is the Sun Bowl better or equal to most venues in Mexico (Monterrey and Guadalajara)? We might be on to something here since we are the biggest combined border town and the WC includes US and Mexico sites (along with Canada). We weren't even one of the 26 rejected sites?

Most of the teams in Mexico have newer/modern stadiums too. Monterrey got a new stadium 4 years ago and Chivas has Estádio Akron which is less than 10 years old. The bigger clubs have nice stadiums.

It does suck that The Sun Bowl modified the layout to accommodate soccer and we haven’t gotten many games. But from what I’ve heard the preseason games they had did not sell that well. Someone might know better than I do.

El Paso would never get selected for WC Cup games because I’m sure they look at so many things on top of the stadium. Hotel capacity, mass transit systems and the availability of international flights have to be a major factor.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Bob Stull was onto something back then with the soccer configuration. Too bad he never carried through with it. Not having natural grass played a big role and the lack of attendance at the Sun Bowl for soccer matches made him abandon the plan. It’s really too bad because it was a great idea. He gave Price 9 and Floyd 7 years but couldn’t give this project more time.

Bob Stull was onto something back then with the soccer configuration. Too bad he never carried through with it. Not having natural grass played a big role and the lack of attendance at the Sun Bowl for soccer matches made him abandon the plan. It’s really too bad because it was a great idea. He gave Price 9 and Floyd 7 years but couldn’t give this project more time.

They pushed it really hard for about seven years. It never took off. The few games they got were disapointing from an attendance perspective. A game between Brazilian heavyweights Santos and Corinthians was canceled because of the turf. A game between cruz azul and club america only drew 16,000. Grass certainly would have helped, but I dont think it would have taken off. It was an idea that wasnt thought through very well.

He gave Price 9 and Floyd 7 years but couldn’t give this project more time.

When the majority of your fan base is saying stuff like “He needs another year”, “Who are we going to get that’s better”, “Winning 4 games is better than 1”, “He just needs 1 more guy”, and fans continuously attend games, there’s no reason for Stull to fire them.

Fans need to stop going when they want change. Attending only shows people like Stull and Senter you’re okay with their hires.

When the majority of your fan base is saying stuff like “He needs another year”, “Who are we going to get that’s better”, “Winning 4 games is better than 1”, “He just needs 1 more guy”, and fans continuously attend games, there’s no reason for Stull to fire them.

Fans need to stop going when they want change. Attending only shows people like Stull and Senter you’re okay with their hires.
You’re right man. Things have improved so much after Price.

They pushed it really hard for about seven years. It never took off. The few games they got were disapointing from an attendance perspective. A game between Brazilian heavyweights Santos and Corinthians was canceled because of the turf. A game between cruz azul and club america only drew 16,000. Grass certainly would have helped, but I dont think it would have taken off. It was an idea that wasnt thought through very well.
This is proof that the stereotype that El Paso is a soccer city is just not true. I remember going to see Chivas vs some Brazilian powerhouse. There wasn’t even 9k in attendance. They tried sitting us all in the GA and student section and the sun bowl looked embarrassing.

This is proof that the stereotype that El Paso is a soccer city is just not true. I remember going to see Chivas vs some Brazilian powerhouse. There wasn’t even 9k in attendance. They tried sitting us all in the GA and student section and the sun bowl looked embarrassing.

El Paso is a baseball town.

Reactions: JCorona
You’re right man. Things have improved so much after Price.

Wrong hires. The only thing that 4 wins get you, is not being in the bottom 25. Still no Bowl games or exposure. Settling for mediocrity is why we hired Kugler and Dismel. UTEP fans told the administrators we like mediocre shit. That’s why we have it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT