ADVERTISEMENT

Too bad, because only 1 team has handled UTEP start to finish

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
And that was ODU on the road. UNT controlled us in the 1st half in Denton and UAB throttled us in the 2nd half at home (probably our worst loss).
Even the Houston game was close until they pulled away quick in the last 7 minutes. Point is we have competed with every team. Our record should be better and we should be peaking now, not relying on hitting 3s to beat crappy teams. We could beat any CUSA team in route to the NCAA tournament.

The frustrating thing is our inconsistency and our fools gold game plan. Sure we won the last 2 games shooting 3s, but we've also had numerous horrible halves because of poor 3pt shooting. We have come back in a few, but having to win 4 consecutive games on the road by shooting 3s ain't gonna happen. Sorry guys and gals, but with better coaching/better gameplan this team is 20+ wins already and in the 1st pod of CUSA looking to realistically have a shot at the NCAA.

"We could beat any CUSA team in route to the NCAA tournament."

LOL

"Point is we have competed with every team."

Well I sure hope they competed in every game!!

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
And that was ODU on the road. UNT controlled us in the 1st half in Denton and UAB throttled us in the 2nd half at home (probably our worst loss).
Even the Houston game was close until they pulled away quick in the last 7 minutes. Point is we have competed with every team. Our record should be better and we should be peaking now, not relying on hitting 3s to beat crappy teams. We could beat any CUSA team in route to the NCAA tournament.

The frustrating thing is our inconsistency and our fools gold game plan. Sure we won the last 2 games shooting 3s, but we've also had numerous horrible halves because of poor 3pt shooting. We have come back in a few, but having to win 4 consecutive games on the road by shooting 3s ain't gonna happen. Sorry guys and gals, but with better coaching/better gameplan this team is 20+ wins already and in the 1st pod of CUSA looking to realistically have a shot at the NCAA.
Haskins once said that 3 pointers were fools gold.

Reactions: miner1liner
3 pointers are what is being given to us. Last 10 games Williams has been limited by double and triple teams and leaves us with 3 point opportunities, we just have been inept at hitting them. Biggest change in the last two games is Lathon he has been more assertive with he ball and hit a few shots, rebounds and is active defensively, looks almost like the Lathon of last year. I agree this team can't win on three's alone for long, but you never know. CUSA is ripe for the picking by just about anyone can get hot. None of the teams at the top are dominent and I predict a low seed or mid pack team is going to win the conference tourney.

"That was back before you put 5 guards on the floor."

and everyone from the ballboy up to the starters could hit a 3 point shot

I don’t think we can be consistent for four days to win the autobid but I do see us ending the tournament dreams of one of the top teams.

Reactions: axingfools1
We've known since Day 1 that this is a 1 bid league. So the regular season has zero importance. Everyone that makes the conference tournament is in the same situation, must win out. So I like our chances. Why not us?

We've known since Day 1 that this is a 1 bid league. So the regular season has zero importance. Everyone that makes the conference tournament is in the same situation, must win out. So I like our chances. Why not us?

If UTEP were 25-4, they would be in the conversation for an at-large. The bubble is really weak this year. CUSA is only a 1 bid league because all the teams lose all their important non-conference games.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
If UTEP were 25-4, they would be in the conversation for an at-large. The bubble is really weak this year. CUSA is only a 1 bid league because all the teams lose all their important non-conference games.
Are your aggies a lock if they don’t win the wac tournament?

Not when you’ve been swept by an average UNM team, lost to UTEP, George Mason, Washington State, and destroyed by Arizona. Then no, it doesn’t matter to the committee if you play in a 1 bid league
So under your original statement you said if UTEP was 25-4 they would be in contention. What four losses could they afford? Wouldn’t losing those games take away critical resume building wins?

So under your original statement you said if UTEP was 25-4 they would be in contention. What four losses could they afford? Wouldn’t losing those games take away critical resume building wins?

Houston, NMSU, UNT, LaTech. They would be in the conversation if those were they’re only 4 losses. Assuming they would have won out and lost in the championship game.

East Tennessee State will be in if they don’t win the Southern Conference Tournament

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Houston, NMSU, UNT, LaTech. They would be in the conversation if those were they’re only 4 losses. Assuming they would have won out and lost in the championship game.

East Tennessee State will be in if they don’t win the Southern Conference Tournament
So with zero top100 NET wins we would be in contention for an at large?

It's a new season this time of the year. Let's see if Terry can sale to the team, that nothing before matters!

IMO, this year, yes. Though Boise, UNT, and LaTech are all Top 100. In this scenario, we would have played them again in bonus play and beat them, not to mention different opponents in the Hawaii tournament
That’s what makes cusa better than the wac. NMSU has zero conference games vs teams in the top 200. Ok 1 if you count cal baptist at 198. In cusa we have 10 if you count UTEP at 202. More importantly we would play the top 100 teams twice during pod play. NMSU is screwed if they didn’t perform well ooc and any conference loss automatically disqualifies them from an at large.

My hope is a strong finish to get in either NCAA, (Slim chance obviously) or CBI run. Next year we need to retain at least Williams, Boum, Lathon, Stroud, Archie, Verhoeven, and looking bleak, but Odigie too. Add a couple of shooters and plus Kennedy will be eligible and have at least some hope for next year.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That’s what makes cusa better than the wac. NMSU has zero conference games vs teams in the top 200. Ok 1 if you count cal baptist at 198. In cusa we have 10 if you count UTEP at 202. More importantly we would play the top 100 teams twice during pod play. NMSU is screwed if they didn’t perform well ooc and any conference loss automatically disqualifies them from an at large.

You’re not wrong. The WAC would be a suitable place if UTEP decided to move there. Would make it stronger. It’s not a cake walk like many of you think, as UTEP just recently beat NMSU. NMSU is pretty much guaranteed the NCAA or NIT most years.

Besides, CUSA isn’t getting at-larges because they don’t play or beat anyone outside of the league. So it’s a moot point until they do. CUSA is a blotted 14 team, 1 bid league. UTEP has no room to complain, as they are part of the problem

My hope is a strong finish to get in either NCAA, (Slim chance obviously) or CBI run. Next year we need to retain at least Williams, Boum, Lathon, Stroud, Archie, Verhoeven, and looking bleak, but Odigie too. Add a couple of shooters and plus Kennedy will be eligible and have at least some hope for next year.

Fvck the CBI. No post season tournament unless it begins with the letter "N".

Also, Archie can go. He's terrible.

But I agree and hope that we can keep Williams, Boum, Lathon (playing well of late, will come into his own if Hawkins leaves), Stroud (great potential there), Verhoeven, and even Odigie. I think there's a role for Efe on this team.

I say keep Archie. His defense has improved and he hustles on the floor. He just needs to learn more control. I don't know if he can be like Johnny "Smooth" Melvin but Melvin's early years were similar to his and by his senior year he helped knock off top ranked Kansas at Kansas in the NCAA.

Reactions: mikesarabia
You’re not wrong. The WAC would be a suitable place if UTEP decided to move there. Would make it stronger. It’s not a cake walk like many of you think, as UTEP just recently beat NMSU. NMSU is pretty much guaranteed the NCAA or NIT most years.

Besides, CUSA isn’t getting at-larges because they don’t play or beat anyone outside of the league. So it’s a moot point until they do. CUSA is a blotted 14 team, 1 bid league. UTEP has no room to complain, as they are part of the problem
Good stuff, shovel.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT