ADVERTISEMENT

UNM Prediction Thread, Important Game!!!

Kevin Baker has had 3 out of 5 winning seasons. It's really hard to win in chick hoops.

Terry, eh....
“Winning” seasons, 17-14, 16-14, 17-8.

It’s not hard to win in football at UTEP? Fire Dimel after a 1-2 start, but the basketball coaches get waayyyyy more time.

Nord: “I needed one more year”

Dimel: When hired, “Give me 4 years”. After 2nd year disaster not all of his fault due to numerous injuries across the team, “I said give me five years”. Ok coach.

Sept 2022, year 5 and UTEP squeaked a win versus a hapless NMSU team and now face a hapless UNM team.

Wilson, the ball is in your court. “Wiiilllssooooooooon!!!”

Don’t fall for Senter’s bad smelling pimento stinking sandwich he sold everyone during the summer.

I know I will take heat for this, but during that last NMSU drive I found myself wanting them to score in the hopes that Wilson would have to step in. It wasn't to be, but a 31 to 13 loss to UNM may change that. I can't say it enough though: We are NOT going to win under Dimel.
Even if they had scored Dr Wilson would not have stepped in for anything

Reactions: Lil_Train
University presidents don't get to the position they are in by micromanagement. This is what ADs are for
I agree. However, the accountability and hiring of the AD, and the strategic direction of the athletic department as a whole falls under her purview. At least that is the case at other universities, many of which have long since left UTEP in the rear view mirror.

University presidents don't get to the position they are in by micromanagement. This is what ADs are for
She hires and fires the AD. Maybe losing to a crappy NMSU team at home in year 5 of Dimel's tenure may not have been the final nail for Senter, but it would have certainly brought him much closer to the light.

I agree with that. However, when the AD isn’t doing his job effectively, the pres needs to step in.

Renu Khator, over at UH, had a hand in the hiring of Major Applewhite, and his firing a couple years later. She doesn’t micromanage but she involves herself.

UTEP 13
UNM 31

Dimel is fired
I guess some of you are saying you hope UTEP loses out or keeps looking bad so Dimel can get fired. I'm more let's see from one game to the next. Where as I don't like how we look so far, I want them to win this one and more games this year and improve and go bowling. Not that I accept mediocrity, but this isn't the NFL we don't get the 1st pick for tanking. We'd be back to square one unless we get a Splash Hire. I've seen nothing from this administration to imply that would happen. I would rather Dimel improve this team and win a bowl game as opposed to having a 1-3 win season. With that said if it is in fact a 1-5 win season with the talent we have I'd be all for his dismissal and new HC search.

I want UTEP to win, and go to a bowl... I personally have not cared for the Dimel hire, much... If he gets the boot, then that means Miners probably win 2-3 games... No excuses in year 5, with HIS team and his God awful play calling... I would love to see UTEP bring in Graham Harrell, he is at WVU right now... If he wants to be a head coach, perhaps, UTEP can persuade him to return to west Texas. Who's on your "too early for a list" radar?

I want UTEP to win, and go to a bowl... I personally have not cared for the Dimel hire, much... If he gets the boot, then that means Miners probably win 2-3 games... No excuses in year 5, with HIS team and his God awful play calling... I would love to see UTEP bring in Graham Harrell, he is at WVU right now... If he wants to be a head coach, perhaps, UTEP can persuade him to return to west Texas. Who's on your "too early for a list" radar?
I can tell you who’s not on it. ANY retread with a sub 60% winning percentage.

Just for perspective…Dimel had a 43.5% winning percentage prior to being named head coach at UTEP. Since joining the Miners, it has dipped down to 36.8%.

UTEP - 16
UNM -13

I’m going to be positive and call a UTEP win in a battle of the kickers. I know people are saying UNM’s offense is bad and I don’t know because I haven’t watched them. What I do know is UTEP’s offense is awful and they can make any defense look good and UNM is at home which could flip the score in their favor.

UTEP - 16
UNM -13

I’m going to be positive and call a UTEP win in a battle of the kickers. I know people are saying UNM’s offense is bad and I don’t know because I haven’t watched them. What I do know is UTEP’s offense is awful and they can make any defense look good and UNM is at home which could flip the score in their favor.
No result tomorrow would surprise me, except for a shootout. I agree it will be low scoring

Sure, but they could hire a current assistant from the staff. Hopefully they go with a young assistant, but we can talk about that when the time comes.
I know that exists as a possibility but I can’t see that happening. Sometimes you just gotta clean house. There isn’t an assistant who has shined bright enough to retain and then promote to hc. Need to hire someone fresh. Like you said, we can cross that bridge when we come to it tho.

I can tell you who’s not on it. ANY retread with a sub 60% winning percentage.

Just for perspective…Dimel had a 43.5% winning percentage prior to being named head coach at UTEP.
We aren't getting a coach with a 60% winning percentage or better. Unless he's from a lower division or high school. What about the next hotshot coach? Don't know if you guys remember but when UTEP hired David Lee they could have hired Mike Shanahan who knows it was probably the best thing that could have happened to Mike?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
We aren't getting a coach with a 60% winning percentage or better. Unless he's from a lower division or high school. What about the next hotshot coach? Don't know if you guys remember but when UTEP hired David Lee they could have hired Mike Shanahan who knows it was probably the best thing that could have happened to Mike?
I’m not so sure. That’s only a 7-5 average from season to season. That’s doable imo.

I’m saying 60+% prior to becoming UTEP’s coach. I haven’t looked but I bet Price was close to that. Just **** the 43.5% stuff!!
I get you, just saying if he continued that pace it would only take 7 (not 8) seasons to be UTEPs winningest football head Coach.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Does anyone know why this game isn’t on ESPN+? Is that a Mountain West thing or is this game that shitty to people outside the MT time zone?

I checked out that MWC website crap and it Kinda looks like Miner TV. I like ESPN+

I must be in one of those multiverse’s astrophysicist’s talk about but UTEP played OU better than Nebraska is playing them. Dios mio!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT