ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ #8 Kansas MBB

Well, we were pitching fits watching Williams chuck up 3’s well beyond his perimeter and there were times he did it at that worst times. I’m going to take Golding at his word as he stated tonight in post game, this team needs to learn how to win.

Like football that had defense, offense and special teams that make up the main components, when it comes to tactical plan it’s the small units that make a tactical plan work and we have not seen that since Barbee’s final year and legendary since Haskins. Back court, mid (15’) and front. It’s just a jamboree right now under Golding. Give the man time. We want to see the complimentary play from the 80’s style we saw under Haskins, Gillispie in mid 2000’s or even Barbee from 2010 when it all came together when Caracter came on board. It’s not gonna happen this year. Golding is no Floyd and will not blow scholi’s on high risk players who didn’t even belong on a college campus.

Up side, CUSA is even more weak this year so there is a ray of sunshine.

Last edited:
I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but we could really have used Efe this season. We severely lack big men and he's averaging double-figures.
Not a knock on Efe’s overall game, but even the most ardent fans of his cannot ever accuse him of being explosive. Think Onyema. He’s explosive. Kalu is a lot like Efe in that regard. Not very explosive. That’s all.

I don’t believe that. He knew UTEP had more resources and money to give him. He still is underpaid
I guess if you really believe an extra 200k is worth the hassle of leaving the confines of the WAC for CUSA. Now we're both in it but it wasn't the case when he interviewed.

UTEP has a basketball budget of 3.5 and NMSU of 3.3 million.

man you’re right, Lathon couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn
Still can't, but that is water under the bridge.

The problem now is Kennedy, whose inability to shoot is magnified by the position he plays. He's a shooting guard, who can't shoot. I have to think that Golding bringing in Evans at mid semester, and likely playing him, shows how desperate we are at that position. Clearly, Golding doesn't see the guys playing behind Kennedy as anywhere near ready.

Neither one of you is wrong. What Jans knows is that UTEP basketball boosters will pay up front AND NMSU was throwing money to stay FBS. Moccia admitted that publicly on public radio and news. Jans caught Moccia off guard and made him sweat and it worked.

Nothing that I've hoped for with Golding has materialized.....yet. Hopes are dimming as I see no evidence of these players having what takes to get over the hump.

Reactions: JCorona
Nothing that I've hoped for with Golding has materialized.....yet. Hopes are dimming as I see no evidence of these players having what takes to get over the hump.
Seriously?? This is terrys team… Golding did the best he could to scrounge up some players … you almost always get scraps when he signed the players we did… and I for one really like sibley and I think kalu will be a lot better with time….. this season is all about creating a team culture and identity…

Reactions: utep2step
Still can't, but that is water under the bridge.

The problem now is Kennedy, whose inability to shoot is magnified by the position he plays. He's a shooting guard, who can't shoot. I have to think that Golding bringing in Evans at mid semester, and likely playing him, shows how desperate we are at that position. Clearly, Golding doesn't see the guys playing behind Kennedy as anywhere near ready.
He is bringing in someone named Evans at the mid way point? I just have missed that

The only positive I can find is that we held them to less points than #19 Michigan St, an 8-2 Iona that made the tournament last year, and a 6-1 St John's that has only lost to Indiana and Kansas.

How many points KU scored doesn't matter. The game was not close. They blew us out from the opening tip. Bill Self had subs in there by halfway thru the first half.

I haven't checked minutes played but the older gent sitting next to me at the game kept pointing out that KU had as many as 4 bench players in there at the same time for much of the game. Self took it very, very easy on us.

How many points KU scored doesn't matter. The game was not close. They blew us out from the opening tip. Bill Self had subs in there by halfway thru the first half.

I haven't checked minutes played but the older gent sitting next to me at the game kept pointing out that KU had as many as 4 bench players in there at the same time for much of the game. Self took it very, very easy on us.
You went to this one?

Reactions: MinerFan79
So in addition to Keonte Kennedy, the worst shooter in the history of basketball, throwing up gawd awful 3-point attempts, why the **** is 6'10" Bonke Maring throwing up so many 3s? Bonke needs to get his ass under the bucket, establish position, and get fed the ball for layups and dunks.

Coach Joe Golding, you've now had 8 games to evaluate your guys. Take control of your team. Kennedy simply should not shoot the ball at all. Bonke should not shoot 3s. It's not that ****ing hard to see that.

Lots and lots of work to do with this team. Hope Golding has it in him to build this thing up.

Boum scores 40 points

Lol, 1. What was Gillespie and Barbee's 1st year record? 2. No Bienemy for most of the game 3. It was Kansas! You should totally give up on Golding 8 games in to his UTEP tenure lol 😅 Some People are too funny 😂

Wilson gives you the impression of a grandma ready to break out with biscuits n’ gravy but then she breaks out with military pushups.

I asked Senter about her and he said Dr. Wilson was at home supporting the volleyball team. I like knowing that Senter and Wilson both are visibly active at our athletics events.

UTEP doesn't have as many deep pocketed donors as Kansas or Texas but seeing Senter and Wilson out at the games is nice. Does it help to extract money from donor pockets? I don't know but I think it helps more than if they were not there.

I asked Senter about her and he said Dr. Wilson was at home supporting the volleyball team. I like knowing that Senter and Wilson both are visibly active at our athletics events.

UTEP doesn't have as many deep pocketed donors as Kansas or Texas but seeing Senter and Wilson out at the games is nice. Does it help to extract money from donor pockets? I don't know but I think it helps more than if they were not there.
Can’t beat first hand eye witness testimony. You’d be amazed at who UTEP has for boosters but yes, UTEP can’t compare.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
The only positive I can find is that we held them to less points than #19 Michigan St, an 8-2 Iona that made the tournament last year, and a 6-1 St John's that has only lost to Indiana and Kansas.
While UTEP D looked a little better in the 2nd half, I'm not sure if UTEP "held them to less points"...more like Self held KU back a bit. But it's the scoreboard and that's all that matters.

While UTEP D looked a little better in the 2nd half, I'm not sure if UTEP "held them to less points"...more like Self held KU back a bit. But it's the scoreboard and that's all that matters.
Self doesn't hold back even if it was a Carmelite college from central America. He did put in the scrubs with a few minutes.

What happened to Bienemy? Sorry if it was addressed earlier, but wasn't really following last night.

So in addition to Keonte Kennedy, the worst shooter in the history of basketball, throwing up gawd awful 3-point attempts, why the **** is 6'10" Bonke Maring throwing up so many 3s? Bonke needs to get his ass under the bucket, establish position, and get fed the ball for layups and dunks.

Coach Joe Golding, you've now had 8 games to evaluate your guys. Take control of your team. Kennedy simply should not shoot the ball at all. Bonke should not shoot 3s. It's not that ****ing hard to see that.

Lots and lots of work to do with this team. Hope Golding has it in him to build this thing up.
I absolutely agree Killer. My assessment of Golding so far is his continued love affair with Kennedy shooting his random wild air balls. In the Aggie game it was encouraging that he only took six selective shots and made three. I thought this must have been the result of coach/player communication, but I guess there was a memory lapse last night as it reverted back to the same old crap. Then he brings in Bonke who promptly throws up two three's.
My head is spinning trying to connect his actual actions with the attitude and determination that he preaches.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
What happened to Bienemy? Sorry if it was addressed earlier, but wasn't really following last night.
Got KO'd badly during the game by one of our own according to a previous post from last night, I didn't see it. CG said he was iffy in post game interview which means concussion protocol which means he may not be ready for UNM? Do they do concussion protocol for basketball?

Got KO'd badly during the game by one of our own according to a previous post from last night, I didn't see it. CG said he was iffy in post game interview which means concussion protocol which means he may not be ready for UNM? Do they do concussion protocol for basketball?
Bieniemy and Kalu ran into each other going for a loose ball in the first half. Bieniemy was noticeably shaken up and immediately walked off the court and onto the bench. It looked like a pretty solid shot to his face. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is in the protocol. I don't think he even came out of the locker room in the second half.

Bieniemy and Kalu ran into each other going for a loose ball in the first half. Bieniemy was noticeably shaken up and immediately walked off the court and onto the bench. It looked like a pretty solid shot to his face. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is in the protocol. I don't think he even came out of the locker room in the second half.
I wasn't able to watch the game as my ESPN stream never loaded, but it's interesting that Teicher questioned his absence. How could he have missed that collision?

I wasn't able to watch the game as my ESPN stream never loaded, but it's interesting that Teicher questioned his absence. How could he have missed that collision?
I'm not at all surprised. Seems like at UTEP the right hand has no idea what the left is doing.

I've listened to Teicher a few times this year. He has been more critical of the players (especially Kennedy). Seems a little unusual for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT