ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP a 6 seed in the NIT @ Murray State on Tuesday

Yeah, it's not going to be easy, but it's doable. They did get blown out by Xavier, and that's what I'm hanging my hat on.

ODU is a one seed.

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa7/release/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/2015-nit-bracket.pdf

Go Miners...

Anyone know if Kyyote is ok?

He blew a gasket when they lost their championship and their top 25 ranking. Maybe Ronstr can go check up on him....lol!!

27-5 is a damn good record but they had a weak schedule and did not do well in OOC play. Lets hope the refs don't punish UTEP because they are much bigger like the CUSA refs did.

This post was ****ed up on 3/15 8:16 PM by utep2step

This post was edited on 3/15 8:17 PM by utep2step

Something tells me Murray St plays a style a lot like LA Tech. We know how we fair against a quick, athletic, running team. I hope the guys are better prepared for it.

Re: Anyone know if Kyyote is ok?

Originally posted by utep2step:

He blew a gasket when they lost their championship and their top 25 ranking. Maybe Ronstr can go check up on him....lol!!

27-5 is a damn good record but they had a weak schedule and did not do well in OOC play but lets hope the refs don't punish UTEP because they are much bigger like the CUSA refs did.
This post was edited on 3/15 8:16 PM by utep2step
Bahahahahaaaaaa!!!!! Crackin me up!

I hope the Miners see this as an opportunity to show they can beat any team in the NIT and salvage the season.

Of note, the NCAA is implementing a few rules changes during this postseason NIT. Most notably, the shot clock (which UTEP oftentimes uses all of) is being shortened from 35 to 30 seconds. Also, the restricted area underneath the hoop is wider to lessen the amount of contact.

NIT rules changes

Here's one thing that gives me hope. After seeing him for a year and half, the rest of the conference has figured out Vince Hunter. That's one thing he's going to have to work on over the summer. The good news is that Murray only has a couple of days to prepare for him. No matter how much you talk about him, it's a different thing to face him. So, hopefully, he gets on track after getting away from CUSA. We're just a different team when Vince is a beast.

A couple of things to worry about. Murray makes 8 3s per game. They made 8 of their first 9 against. Our 3 point defense has not been up to expectation this year. We probably have little chance if we let them sit there and shoot wide open threes like we did at Tech and against Middle. The other thing is that CUSA has figured out is CTF's defense. Our junk defenses that used to give everyone fits hasn't worked since the Tennessee game last year. Again, maybe that changes too. Also, for the love of Paydirt Pete, we have to, have to, have to figure out how to rebound our defensive board. I have no idea how this team gives up so many offensive boards. I think the guys are smaller, but very athletic and they're going to crash the boards.

Cameron Payne v. Julian Washbun might be worth the price of admission. Payne averages 20 points a game, but I'm not sure the OVC has a defender like Julian. At least I hope so. This matchup will probably go a long way in deciding the game.

That is my impression as well...the first team that came to mind was Louisiana Tech. I also noticed their home court record. Our guys will have their work cut out for them. Let's hope they view the game as their opportunity for some sort of redemption.

Originally posted by PickAx:
No one taller than 6'8", but
Originally posted by PickAx:
No one taller than 6'8", but their pic looks like they are athletic and almost all are Juniors and Seniors....
LOL what???? Shouldn't ALL college basketball players "look" athletic? I mean, they are athletes... #justsayin

Just messin with ya pickax!

Originally posted by STexMiner:
Here's one thing that gives me hope. After seeing him for a year and half, the rest of the conference has figured out Vince Hunter. That's one thing he's going to have to work on over the summer. The good news is that Murray only has a couple of days to prepare for him. No matter how much you talk about him, it's a different thing to face him. So, hopefully, he gets on track after getting away from CUSA. We're just a different team when Vince is a beast.

A couple of things to worry about. Murray makes 8 3s per game. They made 8 of their first 9 against. Our 3 point defense has not been up to expectation this year. We probably have little chance if we let them sit there and shoot wide open threes like we did at Tech and against Middle. The other thing is that CUSA has figured out is CTF's defense. Our junk defenses that used to give everyone fits hasn't worked since the Tennessee game last year. Again, maybe that changes too. Also, for the love of Paydirt Pete, we have to, have to, have to figure out how to rebound our defensive board. I have no idea how this team gives up so many offensive boards. I think the guys are smaller, but very athletic and they're going to crash the boards.

Cameron Payne v. Julian Washbun might be worth the price of admission. Payne averages 20 points a game, but I'm not sure the OVC has a defender like Julian. At least I hope so. This matchup will probably go a long way in deciding the game.
Julian is one of the best lock down defenders in the country. UTEP's half court zone is one of the main reasons we finished over 20 wins. The only way CUSA teams attacked Floyd's defense was through quick perimeter shooting or catch UTEP napping in front of the free throw line. C Lang and Hunter were caught sleeping some times, but that was hard for most teams UTEP played against because of the size advantage. So teams like Rice play a 2-3 layer screen 3 point ball and try to beat UTEP that way because UTEP is just to big inside.

Now if MSU is averaging 8 3's a game, Floyd is in trouble. UTEP has been doing poorly in the perimeter defense.
This post was edited on 3/16 11:38 AM by utep2step

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT