ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ Oklahoma on FOX

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Not sure that's all that good since a lot more people will see this game than if it were on FS1. I hope the Miners are up to playing a good game vs the Sooners or it could be ugly.

Start time is perfect for me. I can start driving around 7:30am CT be there by 12:30. Game should be over before 5. I can grab something to eat and start driving back. There is no need to spend the night in Norman. I've been eyeing some tickets on stubhub. Section 32 behind the UTEP bench. Row 13 is the closest I can get to the field. Those are going for $140. I might pull the trigger on them. I do want to wait if the UTEP alumni association will have a designated section for that game. I'm in the wait and see mode.

The MT and USM games no longer have the tv listed like they did a few minutes ago. UTEP must have jumped the gun.

Summer camp in Ruidoso will be poor preparation for that oven.

In all of UTEP and UNM's combined years of holding Camps in Ruidoso, no team has ever had a winning season when they held their pre-season camp in Ruidoso. Granted this realistically has more to do with UTEP and UNM both being historically bad, but it's still not a good trend.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdubb66 and unihorn
The heat could rival the '09 game at Texas, which was brutal.

I don't think even working out in El Paso summer heat could prepare you for it.

In all of UTEP and UNM's combined years of holding Camps in Ruidoso, no team has ever had a winning season when they held their pre-season camp in Ruidoso. Granted this realistically has more to do with UTEP and UNM both being historically bad, but it's still not a good trend.
They should be camping in Pecos. You have to get used to the heat if you're playing games in hot places in September.

Let's be honest the humidity and heat have never played a factor into why P5 teams kick our a$$ on the road.

Yes. There are reasons much more tangible than weather as to why we get our a$$es handed to us by P5 teams.

Reactions: JCorona
I figure if 35 year old NFL players from a team in Boston can handle the humidity in Miami then so can 20 year Olds who went to camp in cool crisp New Mexico

One would think that College athletes who live in the desert and altitude of El Paso, should have a training advantage over a lot of their competition across the country. For example, El Paso is at roughly 2,500 feet higher elevation than Norman and El Paso also has an average temperature that is hotter than Norman in that time of year as well. That is one reason why I found it so frustrating that when OU came to El Paso a few years ago, to play us in our conditions, why were the UTEP players the one's who struggled so much with cramps in the second half of that game and not the OU players?(remember that was the game where they kept televising that we were using mustard on the sideline to rub into our cramping players legs).

We should have had the advantage of being acclimated to our own weather, but instead the opposite happened. Is that due to poor conditioning by our coaching/medical staff? I also wonder if the fact that we practice in the morning and avoid the worst of the desert conditions has poorly prepared us as well?(I.E. We practice in the morning at 10-20 degrees cooler than the kick-off temperatures of September night games.)

Last edited:
Training in Ruidoso will be really, really good for them versus training in 100 plus heat. Try going for a daily jog in Ruidoso the same distance you would in you El Paso? You want to develop those air sacs and create core strength and endurance. Ruidoso is the place to do IMO. I think it was actually a savy move on Kuglers to switch to Ruidoso from Alpine, TX.

Now his philosophy of vanilla football is a different story. But, keep turnover's down or none, don't blow your assignments (over pursue), stay calm, loose and focused, have fun and just do what your position demands, who knows? UTEP played OU tough as hell when they came here but UTEP blew defensive coverages and assignments and OU took control.

One would think that College athletes who live in the desert and altitude of El Paso, should have a training advantage over a lot of their competition across the country. For example, El Paso is at roughly 2,500 feet higher elevation than Norman and El Paso also has an average temperature that is hotter than Norman in that time of year as well. That is one reason why I found it so frustrating that when OU came to El Paso a few years ago, to play us in our conditions, why were the UTEP players the one's who struggled so much with cramps in the second half of that game and not the OU players?(remember that was the game where they kept televising that we were using mustard on the sideline to rub into our cramping players legs).

We should have had the advantage of being acclimated to our own weather, but instead the opposite happened. Is that due to poor conditioning by our coaching/medical staff? I also wonder if the fact that we practice in the morning and avoid the worst of the desert conditions has poorly prepared us as well?(I.E. We practice in the morning at 10-20 degrees cooler than the kick-off temperatures of September night games.)
The sad part is this is where OU practices at.
indoorfacility1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT