ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ Sam Houston State Game Thread

EPUTEP

MI Regular
Feb 22, 2023
Sam Houston State is currently a 2 1/2 point favorite.

Sam Houston State 34
UTEP 27

UTEP - 24
Sam Houston - 27

Sam beats the Miners because they are playing for their first FBS win as a member of the club. The Miners are playing for an insignificant 3rd win. SH has played really tough the last several weeks. UTEP just rolled over in submission to their biggest rival.

The Bearcats probably cover and win by 3 or more.

Last edited:
SHSU 20
UTEP 17

A bit of background: I retired as a professor at Sam Houston State in 2021 after working there for 26 years. There are only two college football teams I care about - and they're playing each other this Wednesday. I graduated from UTEP with a BS in 74 and an MS in 77. (PhD from UT Austin, but I don't care about them).

SHSU still has about 15 players on the roster from the team that won the FCS championship in 2021. Unfortunately, a couple are hurt and only one OL is still around. The current D is FBS-worthy, but their OL is not up to FBS standards. Consequently, the Kats do not run the ball very well. Passing game is decent, but UTEP probably has better receivers.

I think this will be a close game and while the Miners can win, Sam may have the added incentive of trying to win their first FBS game. At any rate, I'll be there with my UTEP had and my SHSU t-shirt to watch the game.

lieb

Sam Houston has been in every game they've played in this year. The Miners are down, people have quit the team, and Dimel has lost the team. SH will be very motivated in this one as they will see it as their best chance for their first win and FBS win.

Predictions:
1. We lose
2. Dimel will still not take responsibility
3. Dimel will be happy during the post game interview
4. Dimel will explain that we still have a chance to get into a bowl with 5 wins
5. Senter will extend Dimel
6. Wilson will extend Senter

Sam Houston has been in every game they've played in this year. The Miners are down, people have quit the team, and Dimel has lost the team. SH will be very motivated in this one as they will see it as their best chance for their first win and FBS win.

Predictions:
1. We lose
4. Dimel will explain that we still have a chance to get into a bowl with 5 wins
1-3 and even 6 unfortunately are possible.
4 I sure hope he's not that delusional, but we'll see.
5. Absolutely 100% not happening, 0 chance of that happening if #1 is true and they lose the remaining games which UTEP probably will.
6. Not so sure about that, but I guess possible, depending on how basketball goes and other sports.

1-3 and even 6 unfortunately are possible.
4 I sure hope he's not that delusional, but we'll see.
5. Absolutely 100% not happening, 0 chance of that happening if #1 is true and they lose the remaining games which UTEP probably will.
6. Not so sure about that, but I guess possible, depending on how basketball goes and other sports.
Not one for sarcasm are you?

Predictions:
1. We lose
Very nice synopsis of the lousy situation.

Reactions: picks up

Predictions:
1. We lose
Sam Houston scares you to death.

Opening Line: SH St. -1.5 (o38)
Current Line: SH St. -3.5 (o36.5)
Prediction:
UTEP 17
SH St. 24

Did you see the pics from their game vs fiu? Doesn’t seem like SHSU fans will be there either.

Wow, SH I think was the wrong pick for CUSUA they weren't ready. Jacksonville St. has proved it was a good pick both quality of the team they put on the field and attendance. This all makes it even worse if Utep loses tonight.
Too soon to say. One thing about SHS is they don't like losing. They built up a little tradition of winning championships in FCS. Maybe their current coach isn't the guy? I don't know, I haven't paid much attention to them this season. One thing is they have been competitive in most of their games, they just can't close them out. Sounds like a young inexperienced team with an inexperienced HC to me. Jacksonville State has an advantage in their favor: Rich Rod.

Wow, SH I think was the wrong pick for CUSUA they weren't ready.
CUSA had no other options. The only FBS team that would accept a CUSA invite is UMass, and then it’s a football only situation. Liberty and NMSU were invited because they had zero other options either.

Sam Houston (and JSU) was the only “desirable” team willing to jump ASAP. That is why they’re in CUSA. Had Tarleton been done with their transition from D2, they might have had a chance. Even then, SHSU has at least accomplished things at the FCS level.

They suck this year and that’s a good sign for the rest of CUSA. You wouldn’t want two FCS newbies coming in and wrecking your league.

SHSU did well for what they had in FCS and basketball. Big thing is they don’t have much administrative support for basketball at least. I would assume they would have a lot more for football. They tried their best to save as many players from the FCS National Championship team as possible using redshirts and Covid year but that hasn’t panned out. Unless the culture changes they won’t have much fan support at either major sport. They might be better next season but at least right now it’s looking like an unprepared move up.

CUSA had no other options. The only FBS team that would accept a CUSA invite is UMass, and then it’s a football only situation. Liberty and NMSU were invited because they had zero other options either.

Sam Houston (and JSU) was the only “desirable” team willing to jump ASAP. That is why they’re in CUSA. Had Tarleton been done with their transition from D2, they might have had a chance. Even then, SHSU has at least accomplished things at the FCS level.

They suck this year and that’s a good sign for the rest of CUSA. You wouldn’t want two FCS newbies coming in and wrecking your league.
I meant more along the lines of attendance and current facilities compared to Jax St. the record is surprising they haven't won a game, but like u said they've been very competitive and I'm sure they'll get better and pass UTEP lol

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT