ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP VS JSU GAME THREAD

The 3rd string is an exaggeration. He puts throws in places a 3rd string QB doesn't. He placed 2 dimes on TD passes that just weren't held. And the back shoulder TD pass was an elite ball. With that said, he still stares down receivers, take sacks he doesn't need to and isn't accurate enough on the short ball. So I think he should be a backup, but like you said there's no quality options to start ahead of him or at least Dimel makes it seem.
Two potential TD passes don’t make up for the three turnovers he accounted for in the game. As a sixth year guy he’s got to be way better protecting the ball, end of discussion. To make lemonade out of the fact that he threw two nice passes is like Dimel smiling and touting about time of possession.

Two potential TD passes don’t make up for the three turnovers he accounted for in the game. As a sixth year guy he’s got to be way better protecting the ball, end of discussion. To make lemonade out of the fact that he threw two nice passes is like Dimel smiling and touting about time of possession.
I was a Jaguars fan for a long time and I used to justify Blake Bortles. Make excuses for him and say it is everyone else. However, it was pretty obvious he just doesn't mentally have what it takes. Hardison is missing reads or just making awful decisions, and it hasn't improved.

Didn't say he was great or his great throws made up for the mistakes. I said he's not 3rd string caliber.

It doesn't take a great arm to be a great quarterback (eg. Tom Brady, Joe Montana). What is does take is the ability to set your guys up for success, find the open receiver and think fast under pressure etc. I think they still use the Wonderlic test to measure football IQ in QBs. I don't want to sound harsh but maybe this kid doesn't have the brains to be an FBS quarterback. Let's give someone else the opportunity to go out there and think their way through a game.

The fumble was an unblocked blind side rusher. That wasn't a mistake from Hardison.

The first interception absolutely is on Hardison for staring down his receiver.

The second interception was a 4th down at the end of the game where Hardison had to throw the ball. Okay, sure, Hardison couldn't convert the play, but it wasn't an unforced error. Throwing it away was not an option on 4th down. I blame Dimel much more for putting him in that position with that play call because it should not have been a pass play.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The fumble was an unblocked blind side rusher. That wasn't a mistake from Hardison.

The second interception was a 4th down at the end of the game where Hardison had to throw the ball. Okay, sure, Hardison couldn't convert the play, but it wasn't an unforced error. Throwing it away was not an option on 4th down. I blame Dimel much more for putting him in that position with that play call because it should not have been a pass play.
The fumble was clearly on Hardison’s lack of pre snap awareness which is my biggest beef with this offense. I saw that blitz coming sitting on my couch from Austin, Texas and I’m just a regular douche bag UTEP fan.

Jax State didn’t do a great job of disguising their blitzes all day and that one I seen coming and called that out and he should have changed the protection on that or gone with a quick hitter pass. At that point they started mixing more blind side blitzes and sold out more to the blind size because the “experienced and talented” UTEP o-line was getting whipped all day. then they started using radar up front and it confused Gavin pre snap all day. Only time Gavin made a good pre snap change was the TD that was over turned by a great play by the DB in the endzone.

Last edited:

I’m not having that. 6th year out of HS, 5th year in the program “veteran O-Line”, and you can’t look at a defense and go “uh oh…. this don’t look good.” Less of that…….

If you’re in year 6 and you can’t read a defense pre snap what good are you!? He wasn’t lining up against the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. Come on. That’s illiteracy at its finest if you can’t read a defense by now.

Blame the coach, blame the play call, blame the QB….. who cares UTEP lost. They all deserve their share of the blame. We can blame the equipment managers and the guy who mowed the lawn if it makes anyone feel better, but it doesn’t change the fact that UTEP is 0-1 and they should have never let the game get to that point.

I’m not having that. 6th year out of HS, 5th year in the program “veteran O-Line”, and you can’t look at a defense and go “uh oh…. this don’t look good.” Less of that…….

If you’re in year 6 and you can’t read a defense pre snap what good are you!? He wasn’t lining up against the 2001 Miami Hurricanes. Come on. That’s illiteracy at its finest if you can’t read a defense by now.
He actually looked at the right receiver. For some reason he didn't pull the trigger on the break. It's really like his mind and body don't work together really well. Or maybe he doesn't trust his receivers to run the route called. Either way, he had plenty of time to throw the ball to Smith.

Reactions: jdubb66
He actually looked at the right receiver. For some reason he didn't pull the trigger on the break. It's really like his mind and body don't work together really well. Or maybe he doesn't trust his receivers to run the route called. Either way, he had plenty of time to throw the ball to Smith.
Yep 100% he double clutched it.

Reactions: Taco1977
The more I think about Brownholtz's explanation, the less I blame Hardison for that 2nd interception. The play just self-destructed when those two WRs collided; where there should have been a wide open receiver, there were none. Hardison was in a no-win situation on a broken play, but he had no choice but to throw the ball because it was 4th down.

A passing play has more moving parts and therefore more points of failure. So when you need 1 yard with well over a minute to play, why call two passing plays that both have a higher chance of failure. Just pick up the damned yard. This series at the end of the game is absolutely on Dimel.

Blame the coach, blame the play call, blame the QB….. who cares UTEP lost. They all deserve their share of the blame. We can blame the equipment managers and the guy who mowed the lawn if it makes anyone feel better, but it doesn’t change the fact that UTEP is 0-1 and they should have never let the game get to that point.
I remember the managers getting blamed when Price had us play at Texas. I have no idea as to the accuracy of that claim.

2nd, I put blame on Hardison for the last pic. You can clearly see the safety/db following Hardison and break on his throw.

The more I think about Brownholtz's explanation, the less I blame Hardison for that 2nd interception. The play just self-destructed when those two WRs collided; where there should have been a wide open receiver, there were none. Hardison was in a no-win situation on a broken play, but he had no choice but to throw the ball because it was 4th down.

A passing play has more moving parts and therefore more points of failure. So when you need 1 yard with well over a minute to play, why call two passing plays that both have a higher chance of failure. Just pick up the damned yard. This series at the end of the game is absolutely on Dimel.
That's not correct though. Because of the collision number four came wide open. That should have been a very easy read for a high school Quarterback. Instead of reading the play, he locked on to one receiver.

I remember the managers getting blamed when Price had us play at Texas. I have no idea as to the accuracy of that claim.
I thought he was upset with Dawn Hearn, the former head athletic trainer because of the all of the cramping.

I can't break down plays like many of you, but to me it appears both other receivers were open enough for a first down prior to the pass.

Brownholtz defending Dimel is almost laughable tho. Even still, with all the experience on this team and execution was bad?
We had a size, fatigue, and experience advantage on the line. We have a big ass RB. We SHOULD be able to get a damn yard.

This game should never have been close. Backups should have played the second half. Dimel should be fired.

I can't break down plays like many of you, but to me it appears both other receivers were open enough for a first down prior to the pass.

Brownholtz defending Dimel is almost laughable tho. Even still, with all the experience on this team and execution was bad?
We had a size, fatigue, and experience advantage on the line. We have a big ass RB. We SHOULD be able to get a damn yard.

This game should never have been close. Backups should have played the second half. Dimel should be fired.
Part of me can’t take him seriously with his breakdown and the decision making on the play. Don’t forget what that guy did vs UTSA last year. That guy looked amazing for 2 quarters of football and then he turned into a pumpkin in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Part of me can’t take him seriously with his breakdown and the decision making on the play. Don’t forget what that guy did vs UTSA last year. That guy looked amazing for 2 quarters of football and then he turned into a pumpkin in the 3rd.
He did tear his hamstring in the third and Dimel kept him in. Of course I don't know exactly when the injury occurred. Brownholtz was always a running qb and not a QB that could run.

Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT