ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs UH

That'll learn me. Lost too much already this basketball season betting on the Miners. I'm done. No more bets on this Miners team.

There's always next year. Or the year after. Or the year after that...

Ok, Miners. I put my money on you. You don't have to win although one or two of my bets need you to win. Otherwise, must cover the spread and let's keep the scoring down. Play tough defense. Gotta get the under.

That's a sucker bet. There are WAY too many unknowns to bet on this team against quality opponents right now. I hope you didn't bet too much.

The Miners did so well to battle back to a 5 point game, then just rolled over.
Both times they came back. In the first half to 3 and in the second half to 5. The score looks terrible. Terry needs to use his T.O and adjust the team before it gets out of control like it did tonight. The crowd definitely played a role. UTEP needs to hit the road more than just up the street to las cruces.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
That’s probably the nicest most educated post I’ve ever seen you write.

I've sad it already before. When everybody was saying this was the best team since Caracter and Williams is the best player since Hardaway I said wait until after Christmas until you make predictions. I thought UTEP had a chance to win, but didn't think they would lose by over 20.

You all can say what you want... it was stupid what boum did and killed our momentum but I really liked Hawkins—- I think that was a huge bright spot and I hope he can grow from this game ... I actually loved the way he ran this team

and yes we played awful and I think this was a tired team as well which is not a good thing when Sunday comes

Reactions: miner1liner
You all can say what you want... it was stupid what boum did and killed our momentum but I really liked Hawkins—- I think that was a huge bright spot and I hope he can grow from this game ... I actually loved the way he ran this team

Agree on Hawkins. He brings an energy that no one else brings. I’m on board now that he should be getting more minutes...not Boum’s minutes but Lathon’s and Edwards’ minutes.

Please remember how bad we were last year. I know it's hard but this team is 10 times better than it was in 2018. Five Terry sometime we will be OK

And your point is? Do you really think this team will win the CUSA tournament?

Agree on Hawkins. He brings an energy that no one else brings. I’m on board now that he should be getting more minutes...not Boum’s minutes but Lathon’s and Edwards’ minutes.

Here's the thing. We play three guards at a time. That's 120 minutes of guard play a game. We have four guards in our rotation - Lathon, Boum, Edwards, and Hawkins. If we gave them each roughly equal minutes they would each average about 30 minutes a game. Instead the first three guys I named will play 35+ minutes per game, and Hawkins will get single digit or low double digit minutes, even though I think that he is playing as well or better right now as anyone in front of him. So give him some of Boum's minutes. And some of Edwards' minutes. And some from Lathan. Let's get it where these guys are all getting 30 minutes, plus or minus a minute or two, a game. This will help to keep everyone's leg fresher, and allow Hawkins to get some damn playing time.

Did he bring that energy cuz he was playing in front of family and friends or is that really him?

Did he bring that energy cuz he was playing in front of family and friends or is that really him?

With the exception of the UCI game, where I thought he was playing to careful, Hawkins has played with more energy than any guard in our rotation the last several games, not just tonight. Well, Boum had a lot of energy against NCA&T (it helps when you make shots).

Please remember how bad we were last year. I know it's hard but this team is 10 times better than it was in 2018. Five Terry sometime we will be OK
Remember this team was always expected to be good next year, this year we were supposed to be better than last year and compete in the conference tournament. But it's obvious that we have a real good player in Williams which raised expectations early on. We just don't have a consistent #2 or #3 night in and night out. I thought Lathon and Edwards would be our 2 and 3 guys to help Williams but it just hasn't come to fruition for whatever reason. Also, our rebounding is subpar for the length of our frontline guys. Euro guy who can't out muscle anyone and a big guy who seems to have a 4 inch vertical are not helping in that department.

All in all, we are much more competitive than last year, and we are a decent CUSA team (with enough potential talent to be better) and if this team starts to gel later in the season or in Hawaii I think this team would catch fire.

Here's the thing. We play three guards at a time. That's 120 minutes of guard play a game. We have four guards in our rotation - Lathon, Boum, Edwards, and Hawkins. If we gave them each roughly equal minutes they would each average about 30 minutes a game. Instead the first three guys I named will play 35+ minutes per game, and Hawkins will get single digit or low double digit minutes, even though I think that he is playing as well or better right now as anyone in front of him. So give him some of Boum's minutes. And some of Edwards' minutes. And some from Lathan. Let's get it where these guys are all getting 30 minutes, plus or minus a minute or two, a game. This will help to keep everyone's leg fresher, and allow Hawkins to get some damn playing time.

I agree. I said that in jest because a week ago it was Boum who sucked, this week it’s Lathon and Edwards.

I’m a firm believer that we need to get 9-10 guys on the floor and spread the minutes as much as POSSIBLE. It’s a long and grinding season.

I’ve not been much of a Hawkins fan going back to last season, but he’s growing on me. Not because he’s better than any of our guards but because he usually brings an intensity to the game. Not just tonight. That’s my take anyway.

With the exception of the UCI game, where I thought he was playing to careful, Hawkins has played with more energy than any guard in our rotation the last several games, not just tonight. Well, Boum had a lot of energy against NCA&T (it helps when you make shots).
Nigel always plays with fire. Sometimes carelessly, but that's Ok; I've said it many times, "He makes things happen". Lathon has had his moments, but he was MIA again tonight.

Really have to adjust my expectations. Got a lotta hills to climb this year.

I actually like the idea of hawkins at point and then boum/edwards.... that would put us 3 guys who are our better shooters and then you have williams and then you have to guard everyone on the floor

Reactions: miner1liner
I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Hawkins
Boum
Stroud
Williams
Verhoeven

Bring Lathon, Edwards and Efe off the bench

I would like Terry to keep trying different rotations and show everybody that no spot is for certain. We got completely out athleted today. We could have really used Eze a lot today instead of Vila. I'm not sure that Terry is bringing in anybody that can contribute right away next year, so he needs to figure this out or start working on replacing a few guys.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
FYI, message from a UH poster on coogfans.com who attended the game...

"Did see a super classy move while at the game. We sat near the UTEP visiting area(by mistake) the UTEP AD came to their fans and introduced himself and told them thank you for showing up! Thought it was really nice!"

FYI, message from a UH poster on coogfans.com who attended the game...

"Did see a super classy move while at the game. We sat near the UTEP visiting area(by mistake) the UTEP AD came to their fans and introduced himself and told them thank you for showing up! Thought it was really nice!"
Yes. Several people I talked to said the same thing. Senter was going around introducing himself to all the miner fans. Everyone thought it was a good gesture.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT