ADVERTISEMENT

Value of NMSU game

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
I know that a lot of fans of both schools love this game but I think a home opener against an old rival would draw a bigger crowd than 30k. I know there was competition from the SCMF and the Chihuahua's game but I doubt the crowd would have been smaller and probably bigger if an old rival from the MWC had been the opener.

Next year UTEP plays at NMSU and the Miners will only have 5 home games. Like last year. That really should not be the case. At the very least I think Stull should offer NMSU a chance to visit the Sun Bowl again next season (with some financial incentive) or move the game to another year in order to bring another team in to have 6 home games.

Still has offered. He told them NMSU can make more money by keeping it at Sun Bowl. From news reports, the offer was nixed immediately. 30k was better than I expected. That would have filled up Memorial in Las Cruces.

Reactions: Uteper
30k was not bad at all. I don't know why people expect these massive crowds when this program that has done nothing but let people down their whole lives. The Army game will set the tone for the test of the season.

Reactions: Uteper
Don't think the numbers add up. UTEP and NMSU play a non-payout basis with UTEP keeping it's gate and Aggies keeping theirs. This makes money for UTEP because we don't have to pay to have a FBS team play here and we keep the revenue. if we asked to play here each year NMSU would likely request a payout to play here like they do with everyone else, AM, Florida, UT etc.. They will not take a percentage of the gate because they could just schedule another high payout road game and take the .8 to 1 mill payout other schools offer for a road game. UTEP cannot pay that for a home game. Plus there is the perception factor, they need quality home opponents more so now they are about to be independent, why would they give one up every other year?

Last edited:
Reactions: unihorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT