ADVERTISEMENT

Wadley

Nuttyboy, BS? Who's laughting now? Thanks to the posters that didn't reply negatively. I don't post regularly or in any other site.

Should’ve stuck with my instinct. It didn’t make sense to me that you’d have made that post without it being true, especially after looking at your post history. Apologies for starting to doubt the accuracy of your claim.

Last edited:
Can we get a priest to perform an exorcism. Please!!

Somebody needs to call those Walter Mercado informercials and have a shit load of gems and obsidian sent to the UTEP football team stat Call Papa-shango, get a ton of eggs for a Mexican limpia, call The Tiguas if we have to so they can contact the spirit world to see what UTEP did wrong in a past life.... anything and everything should be on the table at this point. This is beyond “bad luck” at this point.

If our season hinged on Wadley’s health then we’re in a bad spot to begin with. He’s a great back but he does have a serious injury history and he was seriously underused last season. Plus people are going to go down as the season goes on... good players at that so it always has be next man up. I’m just piecing together the spring/fall rosters and it seems like we have Treyvon Hughes and then a bunch of freshmen and El Pasoans bringing up the rear.

I would think that people are going to get moved to help solidify the position. Kavika Johnson or Walter Dawn? I’m thinking outside the box here but maybe worse come to worse you throw Kai Locksley back there in a real pinch. I just question anyone’s durability outside of Hughes. And even then he has been switched around from position to position so I don’t know if there is a perfect fix here.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
A few random thoughts:

Trying to put a positive spin on this, Hughes was a decent recruit out of high school who had a Big Ten offer from Iowa. I think he can get the job done as a primary back, but we won't have any top end break away speed at RB this year.

Wadley was hurt a lot during last year, which was a reason why he didn't get as many carries as some had wanted. For instance, he did not practice the entire week of the UAB game. The poor guy has not been able to stay healthy any year that he has been here and given his history, we were probably looking at having to play without him at some point this season even had he started healthy.

Wadley was our top play maker, so losing him is a really big loss, but another negative impact is that losing him now also places a lot of pressure on our other RB's to stay healthy, as we suddenly become razor thin with experience should anybody else get hurt/banged up.

Had Fields stayed, he would now probably be in line to get a number of carries this season. If his primary reason for leaving was due to a lack of potential playing time, then I wonder what he might thinking today?

This is next year's worry; but depending on how this year plays out, I wonder if Wadley will look at going somewhere else next year as a Grad Transfer. Especially if Hankins were to assume the primary starting role this year and some other school gets into Wadley's ear that he could be their full time starter next year.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect Hankins to come in an seize the starting RB position, especially as a freshman. The defenses are going to be tougher, the game will be faster and he’s not going to be running over 5’10” El Paso kids. There is going to have to be some sort of adjustment period but the silver lining is that this injury happened before camp so all these kids are going to get A LOT of reps in camp leading up to the HBU game.

One of the easiest positions (by no means easy) for a freshman to fill in at is running back. Hankins has the size and strength to add depth immediately. Hughes is even bigger and has experience. He did okay last year but no breakaway speed as mentioned. Dawn has played at RB for us before, started against Oklahoma if I remember correctly.

Dimel has recently mentioned a possible Pac12 transfer and in Spring Ball he had mentioned a potential USC transfer(I would assume this player is one in the same). UTEP still has not updated their 2019 football roster yet and I would guess this is because Dimel is trying/waiting to get some more guys in here. For example two late JC guys(WR and DE) announced they were coming just last week. By comparison, UTEP released it’s football roster on July 12th last year, which means that our roster release is currently more than two weeks late this year.

Reactions: Lil_Train
We need running back depth. We have Joseph from Andress also coming in at freshman. We have one kid from Arizona. My guess is all hands are on-deck trying to find the best back available before camp starts.

I think we'll be fine at running back. To me the season hinges on qb play. Hopefully Jones is as improved as advertised.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect Hankins to come in an seize the starting RB position, especially as a freshman. The defenses are going to be tougher, the game will be faster and he’s not going to be running over 5’10” El Paso kids. There is going to have to be some sort of adjustment period but the silver lining is that this injury happened before camp so all these kids are going to get A LOT of reps in camp leading up to the HBU game.
He squats more than most NFL players! Dimel says he's getting thrown into the rotation. Second, with that kind of strength, I bet he can plant some blizting defensive personnel.

He squats more than most NFL players! Dimel says he's getting thrown into the rotation. Second, with that kind of strength, I bet he can plant some blizting defensive personnel.

I hope. Aaron Jones was great special as a true freshman, and I would love for Hankins to come in and get 800+ yards but I wonder if that’s possible? If teams stack the box, the QBs/WRs are garbage and the playcalling is predictable then it may be asking too much to ask a true freshman to come in and carry the load.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
I hope. Aaron Jones was great special as a true freshman, but it may be wishful thinking to believe Hankins could replicate that production. I
The O line is healthy and led by NFL prospect Gatewood. I have a gut feeling the O line will show the productivity that Kugler was trying to build but never panned out (other than Will Hernandez) due to attrition. I assume AJ has to be giving him words of wisdom since AJ was the starting rb his (true) freshman year since he lit up fall camp (at Sul Ross).

A few random thoughts:

Trying to put a positive spin on this, Hughes was a decent recruit out of high school who had a Big Ten offer from Iowa. I think he can get the job done as a primary back, but we won't have any top end break away speed at RB this year.

Wadley was hurt a lot during last year, which was a reason why he didn't get as many carries as some had wanted. For instance, he did not practice the entire week of the UAB game. The poor guy has not been able to stay healthy any year that he has been here and given his history, we were probably looking at having to play without him at some point this season even had he started healthy.

Wadley was our top play maker, so losing him is a really big loss, but another negative impact is that losing him now also places a lot of pressure on our other RB's to stay healthy, as we suddenly become razor thin with experience should anybody else get hurt/banged up.

Had Fields stayed, he would now probably be in line to get a number of carries this season. If his primary reason for leaving was due to a lack of potential playing time, then I wonder what he might thinking today?

This is next year's worry; but depending on how this year plays out, I wonder if Wadley will look at going somewhere else next year as a Grad Transfer. Especially if Hankins were to assume the primary starting role this year and some other school gets into Wadley's ear that he could be their full time starter next year.
I believe Fields left due to the passing of his brother and the family decided to move back to Georgia. If I’m not mistaken I think he signed with Georgia Southern.

I believe Fields left due to the passing of his brother and the family decided to move back to Georgia. If I’m not mistaken I think he signed with Georgia Southern.

I think it’s safe to say that him projecting to be the 4th string back this year(at the time that he announced his transfer) likely had a lot to do with it as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT