ADVERTISEMENT

WestStar Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational

This team play pretty good defense. That will keep them in games. Offensively? Maybe the worst team I’ve ever seen. Can’t dribble, too many TOs, can’t shoot and too many poor decisions with the ball.
Agree. Kent St. is obviously very good at creating turnovers, and solid defensively overall. However, alot of the turnovers were unforced. Eight turnovers by Givance is tough, although I thought he played well in other areas.

A big concern is being able to score enough on the road to overcome the issues offensively, and in particular, the lack of 3 point baskets. Home teams generally shoot better at home, and it will be tough for this team go keep up with even 5-6 made three point shots by the home team. The game against UAB on the road will be a big challenge. Hopefully they can generate enough offense, and maintain the effort defensively that they showed for 40 minutes against Kent St.

Last edited:
I still think that although he does have depth; it might help to reduce the "sub every minute"
strategy. Nobody's in there long enough to get into the flow. A lot of times it seems like right after a bucket; he yanks the guy and replaces him. He doesn't have the luxury of a dependable scorer, so he better try to develop something.
I think all of us feared a blowout tonight and we almost won the damn thing. Did anyone hear them say that Kent is ranked 25th? Don't think I'm dreaming.

Reactions: kickballpro
Last night was Kent St’s 7th game away from home. UTEP has played 3. Kent St is 25th in the NET and has an outside shot at an NCAA at large bid and solid chance at the NIT.

UTEP is 191 and their only shot at the NCAA and NIT is by winning the CUSA Tournament or winning the CUSA regular season. With Bronze-ing as coach, those look really slim.

Agree. Kent St. is obviously very good at creating turnovers, and solid defensively as well. However, alot of the turnovers were unforced. Eight turnovers by Givance is tough, although I thought he played well in other areas.

A big concern is being able to score enough on the road to overcome the issues offensively, and in particular, the lack of 3 point baskets. Home teams generally shoot better at home, and it will be tough for this team go keep up with even 5-6 made three point shots by the home team. The game against UAB on the road will be a big challenge. Hopefully they can generate enough offense, and maintain the effort defensively that they showed for 40 minutes against Kent St.
Your last sentence hits the point.

Towards the end of last nights game I was thinking to myself maybe Kalu is not the right guy at this stretch? Then Kalu puts some mustard on my foot and made me enjoy it with a steal, critical rebound and coast to coast score (yes it was a DD but it wasn’t called). Or ZO rebound from the heavens that he got a cheap travel call on? Great intensity. My point is that’s what they need against UAB.

Miners were a bit unlucky last night and had a few breaks not go their way, a fumbled rebound after a great defensive stand that resulted in a easy put back was one I remembered. The officials had to make some calls which didn't go our way (not bad calls, just 50-50 deals which didn't break for us). We were in this game all the way and Kent is solid and a veteran team. My only disappointment was we didn't handle the last 1:00 well and really showed our inexperience. Defense is our bread and butter and we have the ability to stop teams dead, but we are going to need a better out put on the offensive end. This team is still developing and I think we may pull a surprise or two in conference.

MESSAGE TO GROUNDROUNDS
In Dallas it's freeze your tallywhacker outside. Wondering if you've got a roaring fire going, although it's colder here than in Cloudcroft.

MESSAGE TO GROUNDROUNDS
In Dallas it's freeze your tallywhacker outside. Wondering if you've got a roaring fire going, although it's colder here than in Cloudcroft.
Its 20* colder than yesterday but it's not as bad as most of the country. We are right on the edge of the cold and tomorrow it'll warm back up. We had a high of 44* today and 26* low last night and it's 35* right now.
Glad it's not too bad because we have 8 guests here right now and there will be 10 checking in on Christmas.
Christmas will be a full work day so we'll celebrate tomorrow instead of Sunday.
Thanks for asking 1liner :)

Sorry about your frozen axe 2step. Hope you all have a toasty Christmas!

Not Teich and Yellen. Kappy and Leonard Owens instead

I would prefer Teich, but Kappy is miles better than Mando

Reactions: Lil_Train
Well the D is doing what it's designed to do - forcing TOs. But except for the 1st one we haven't been able to capitalize

Norfolk State had a player get a technical for cursing at a ref. Later that same player looked ready to jump into the stands. Wondering if he's just a hothead. There were some insults being tossed around near the Norfolk State bench that could get someone ejected

Norfolk State had a player get a technical for cursing at a ref. Later that same player looked ready to jump into the stands. Wondering if he's just a hothead. There were some insults being tossed around near the Norfolk State bench that could get someone ejected

What were the insults?

Let me guess — the fat ass that used to own Cappettos.

Let me guess — the fat ass that used to own Cappettos.

Nope, there was another fat ass guy that was sitting to the right of the bench on the floor. He stood most of the game and was taunting the players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT