ADVERTISEMENT

What does the Chihuahua's organization have against UTEP?

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
For the UTEP home opener they schedule the Chih game at night to conflict. They could have scheduled the baseball game for daytime. They had a day game on Monday so why not the previous Saturday so as not to conflict with UTEP's FB game?

Now I see they have scheduled a Chili fest for the same night as the next UTEP home game vs Army. They could have it on Sunday but nooooo, they have to have it on Saturday night during UTEP's FB game. What gives?

For the UTEP home opener they schedule the Chih game at night to conflict. They could have scheduled the baseball game for daytime. They had a day game on Monday so why not the previous Saturday so as not to conflict with UTEP's FB game?

Now I see they have scheduled a Chili fest for the same night as the next UTEP home game vs Army. They could have it on Sunday but nooooo, they have to have it on Saturday night during UTEP's FB game. What gives?
It's called a free market. Let the market decide.

Reactions: CubsFan81
eDtwUjs.gif

The Chihuahuas schedule was released on 8/14/2015 without the game times.
http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=143102492&fext=.jsp&vkey=pr_t4904&sid=t4904
Since it was labor day weekend, I was hoping that the UTEP game would be on in the afternoon (ex. 1:30 p.m. MT), attend the Chihuahuas game in the evening (7:05 p.m.).
UTEP's home opener was known for over a year. So you're saying that playing football in day time with 90 degree heat is fine but baseball, where the players are not wearing pads and are standing around most of the time is not?

It should be easy for the Chihuahua's and UTEP to avoid conflicts like this and give more El Paso sports fans the chance to attend more events. Personally I would much prefer to see the UTEP football program prosper than the Chihuahuas but that's just me. No reason for either to infringe on the other.

What conflict kept the Chihuahuas playoff crowds under 5k for the Weds. and Thurs. games this week?

Why do Monster Trucks hate basketball?

Can you imagine Tim Floyd managing a monster truck team?

[press conference or radio interview]

"We can't compete, those other team are using specially modified engines from Germany and suspensions systems that are not approved by the MTRA (Monster Truck Racing Association). The MTRA needs to govern or cap teams advertising because our cash flow can't compete with the likes of El Toro Loco or Gravedigger"

MT is pure marketing genius. Cheap tickets. Dad, the brother or Tio gets his beer, the kids get a cheap hat, a sugar high along with a mountain of nachos to make them happy and it's cha ching, cha ching!

UTEP's home opener was known for over a year. So you're saying that playing football in day time with 90 degree heat is fine but baseball, where the players are not wearing pads and are standing around most of the time is not?

It should be easy for the Chihuahua's and UTEP to avoid conflicts like this and give more El Paso sports fans the chance to attend more events. Personally I would much prefer to see the UTEP football program prosper than the Chihuahuas but that's just me. No reason for either to infringe on the other.
The Chihuahuas don't make the schedules, the PCL does. The baseball schedule would be impossible to make if the PCL has to take into account all of their teams cities other sports teams and their schedules. This kind of stuff is going to happen when 2 different sports are in season at the same time in a city.

Last edited:
Reactions: miner661
The Chihuahuas regular season is over and they are playing in the playoffs right now. The Chihuahuas don't make the schedules, the PCL does. The baseball schedule would be impossible to make if the PCL has to take into account all of their teams cities other sports teams and their schedules. This kind of stuff is going to happen when 2 different sports are in season at the same time in a city.

Holy schnikes! He used logic.

Reactions: develman
Chihuahuas are well run and first rate and they take care of themselves which is what every business should do. They are not about to play second to UTEP for anything and why should they? (UTEP athletics could use a bit of this attitude IMO)

And sent a tweet to Dana White as well and demand answers on why he scheduled a UFC title fight on Oct 8th, the same night we play FIU at home. He should have looked at the UTEP football schedule before scheduling that fight.

Holy schnikes! He used logic.
Not really. The Chih game in question was not a playoff game. The 9k that attended the Chih game at night on 9/3 might have had the opportunity to also attend the UTEP game the same night if the Chih had made that a day game. The Chih had a day game on Monday, Labor Day so it's not like they can't schedule one this time of year. Not at all unusual in most places for entities to work together so as not to conflict, especially major events like these. 9k at Chih and 30k at UTEP at the same time. Might have been 35k at the Miner game if no conflict. But apparently most on the board have no problem with it as it is so I will just drop it.

For some reason I thought it was a playoff game but it doesn't change anything. The Chi's had a fireworks display on 9/3. I'm sure the fireworks would have looked beautiful with that el paso sun in the background. So why does UTEP football get priority over everything else going on in EL Paso???

UTEP football has had more than 100 years to get their act together. In less than three years the Chihuhuas have won the same amount of division titles as UTEP. People want to see winners. All of us here will attend regardless if UTEP wins 1 game or 6. The same can't be said about the rest of El Paso. Put on a better product and it's guaranteed they will choose football over baseball.

It really is unreasonable to ask not only the city but The Pacific Coast League to stop everything they're doing to accommodate UTEP Football.

My question to everyone here is when was the last time UTEP had an early kickoff for a football game and how was the attendance in relation to other games that year. Because I feel like attendance would suffer just because of the fact that people are used to late start times. I bet people are going to show up an hour late to the Army game just because they're going to assume the game starts at 6:00 P.M.

UTEP football has had more than 100 years to get their act together. In less than three years the Chihuhuas have won the same amount of division titles as UTEP. People want to see winners. All of us here will attend regardless if UTEP wins 1 game or 6. The same can't be said about the rest of El Paso. Put on a better product and it's guaranteed they will choose football over baseball.

Then why did only 4K attend this week's Chihuahuas playoff games?

I think El Paso fans aren't quite as simple as "win and they will come."

I'm sure disposable income is a factor, but based on the last 12 years of watching Miner basketball, I think it's more like "win and they will come to the last game."

Maybe if UTEP would do more to market their product they wouldn't have to worry about other events taking fans away. But utep's sports marketing is pathetic. The football team is good this year but they have done jack shit to promote the team. The chihuahuas marketing is really really good. Saturday evening is the prime revenue generating slot in El Paso.
Why should the chihuahuas lose out on a guaranteed sellout and lose thousands of dollars by moving a game from night to day just because of utep football??? Competition makes everyone better and it benefits us as a consumer.

Reactions: develman
I think El Paso fans aren't quite as simple as "win and they will come."

You have to say that a vast majority of people are. And that probably goes for almost any fan base. Where are all those fans that packed the Sun Bowl in 2000, 2004 and 2005 when UTEP was winning? But look at the NFL, a couple of years ago every Cowboy fan in Dallas sold his seat to the 49ers game and it turned into a home game for San Francisco because people thought they weren't gonna be that good.
Win, lose or draw UTEP can average in the 20k range because those are the loyal fans. They need to target that other 30k and they do that with good marketing and winning.

Maybe if UTEP would do more to market their product they wouldn't have to worry about other events taking fans away. But utep's sports marketing is pathetic. The football team is good this year but they have done jack shit to promote the team. The chihuahuas marketing is really really good. Saturday evening is the prime revenue generating slot in El Paso.
Why should the chihuahuas lose out on a guaranteed sellout and lose thousands of dollars by moving a game from night to day just because of utep football??? Competition makes everyone better and it benefits us as a consumer.

Stull is a second rate AD. While not directly his job to market the program, he's been ok with the status quo that IMG brings to the table. Never really thinks outside the box.

#StatusQuoStull[/QUOTE]

And sent a tweet to Dana White as well and demand answers on why he scheduled a UFC title fight on Oct 8th, the same night we play FIU at home. He should have looked at the UTEP football schedule before scheduling that fight.

Brad Taylor actually replies to locals. Not sure why you would compare that to tweeting Dana White. Other than trying to be an ass. Hey, welcome back to the board. Love the new username.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT