ADVERTISEMENT

Who you think will be New AD and FB Head Coach

Remember when the Chihuahuas held an elaborate "Name the Team" competition and then they announced that Aardvarks was a "finalist". Then we later learned that a San Diego Marketing Firm had selected the name Chihuahuas long before the fake "Name the team" competition took place and the competition was just a publicity gimmick. I really hope that Senter is not just another Aardvark type of fake finalist being used for show and Campos has been the name selected all along.

UTSA is a athletics program on the rise. They have passed us in football in a short amount of time and are already paying 7 figures for their football coach. I am sure they are not happy with their basketball program and they will be working on improving it. You can argue all you want about whether or not the UTSA open AD job is more desirable than UTEP, but the bottom line is they are going to hire a much better AD than us. UTSA will actually hire the strongest and best applicant that applied, not someone who worked under their last AD. UTSA's desire to raise the bar in athletics is the reason why they will be in the MW long before UTEP.

Remember when the Chihuahuas held an elaborate "Name the Team" competition and then they announced that Aardvarks was a "finalist". Then we later learned that a San Diego Marketing Firm had selected the name Chihuahuas long before the fake "Name the team" competition took place and the competition was just a publicity gimmick. I really hope that Senter is not just another Aardvark type of fake finalist being used for show and Campos has been the name selected all along.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/04/10/Forty-Under-40/Campos.aspx
The part where it says Bob has been preparing her to become a AD pretty much proves Campos will be our AD and was made UTEP's AD ithe day he retired.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Please not Ms Campos. I'm sure she's a very nice person and she has done a credible job at N. Arizona but can anyone honestly say she would be the BEST candidate we could get?

Fierce Latina, dude.

I've kinda called this one for the last two weeks n I've heard nothing to change my opinion or mind. Campos, your getting the keys, let's see how you drive

At least the Chihuahuas are a first class organization.

If UTEP was a first class organization I wouldn't care if they listed Mickey Mouse as a fake finalist.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Is it just me or is Senter just vanilla?

If Campos does have two interviews, hopefully she can get some insight on what the hell UTSA will be up to in the next few years.

The more I think about it I feel like the job is Parks’ to lose. We are in mid November and a new AD is going to have a ton on his plate and little time to get it done. A new head coach has to be signed by the end of the December at the absolute latest. A new AD from the outside would have to move to El Paso, get settled, figure out the ins and outs of the department and start a HC search pretty much at the same time. Can everything be accomplished in a little over 6 weeks?

All that leads me to think that Parks has to have the inside track because he could step into the role and immediately begin the search for a new head football coach. He knows the boosters, the community and the budget etc. He knows what he’s playing and the learning curve is eliminated.

Every day that this search goes these UTEP people have to be more favored.

Tomorrow will be day number 75 since Bob Stull announced his retirement. It sure seems like a big waste of lost time if they end up just hiring Park. We need a new AD and then a new Head Football Coach A.S.A.P. and every additional day of not having the new AD in place is likely extending the time-frame for how long we will remain at having zero football recruits.

UTSA is a athletics program on the rise. They have passed us in football in a short amount of time and are already paying 7 figures for their football coach. I am sure they are not happy with their basketball program and they will be working on improving it. You can argue all you want about whether or not the UTSA open AD job is more desirable than UTEP, but the bottom line is they are going to hire a much better AD than us. UTSA will actually hire the strongest and best applicant that applied, not someone who worked under their last AD. UTSA's desire to raise the bar in athletics is the reason why they will be in the MW long before UTEP.

UTEP paid Stull more than UTSA paid Dickey. The UTEP athletic budget is more than the UTSA budget. UTEP FB attendance with no wins is avg 20k while UTSA with a winning team is avg 24k. UTEP mbb vs UTSA mbb, no contest. UTEP has much higher upside if FB gets good.

Reactions: Rot
IF UTSA hires Campos will her detractors on here start crying about how UTEP didn't grab her when they had the chance and how much better UTSA is for hiring her? But on the other hand if UTEP hires her then the same folks will be crying about how UTEP hired the least impressive candidate and how UTEP is going to suck even worse in athletics.

IF UTSA hires Campos will her detractors on here start crying about how UTEP didn't grab her when they had the chance and how much better UTSA is for hiring her? But on the other hand if UTEP hires her then the same folks will be crying about how UTEP hired the least impressive candidate and how UTEP is going to suck even worse in athletics.

Nobody will be crying if UTEP wins (well maybe happy crying :D). I don't care who they hire, I just want winning programs.

Is it just me or is Senter just vanilla?

If Campos does have two interviews, hopefully she can get some insight on what the hell UTSA will be up to in the next few years.

Senter is far from vanilla. He has shown ability to fund raise, to hire coaches and is well thought of at the Citadel. He would be a good choice.
Some of you sound totally unrealistic. Who is UTEP or any other G5 program going to hire? Someone who has AD experience at a Big 12 school? Any associate AD, including Park, might be good but G5 schools typically hire associate AD's from bigger schools with no hiring or firing experience or AD's from smaller schools that have the full range of experience. UTEP is right on track.

UTEP paid Stull more than UTSA paid Dickey. The UTEP athletic budget is more than the UTSA budget. UTEP FB attendance with no wins is avg 20k while UTSA with a winning team is avg 24k. UTEP mbb vs UTSA mbb, no contest. UTEP has much higher upside if FB gets good.

UTEP budget is higher than UTSAs and attendance is almost is as good as theirs with a 0 win team. That is not something to be proud of. This is what I'm talking about. Always an excuse for ineptitude. "We're better than this school" "At least we're not NMSU" "We have better attendance in basketball"

Who f--ing cares? UTEP is the worst team in FBS and our basketball team hasn't won a NCAA game in 25 years. That's what matters, nothing else. UTSA is doing better with a lower budget than us with their football program, isn't that something we need to improve on?????

The article about Campos is not very encouraging. She swang and missed badly on NAU's struggling basketball program hires. The mens coach is 63-101, and their woman's coach left after last season with a record of 36-82. NAU's FB coach has been there long before she got there, so she is yet to make a football hire. And if she is hired at UTEP, she has to make a very very important football coach decision for our struggling football program!!!!! YIKES....not looking very good. If we are going to hire a current AD at another university, at least get one who has made at least one strong hire in their tenure there. She has not (and who cares about the other sports like volleyball, tennis etc..

Its just mind boggling why a search committee was not used for our AD hire. I guess we used the Bob Stull search committee.

I like "Sun Dogs" but it is sad it was just a publicity stunt.

If UTEP goes with Campos I'm fine with it. Just as long as the cover every legal base in the hiring process and show accountability and fairness. Senter wants to be in El Paso and that's a good thing. He likes El Paso and that's a major plus IMO.

Winning solves all ills. That's the cure. A) UTEP needs to be more competitive in CUSA West. We don't need to be a Boise State but UTEP should aim much higher than being a Rice (Like Kug wanted) B) UTEP basketball needs revived. (UTEP basketball was a thing a beauty and was a religious experience growing up for me).

Reactions: develman
Few if any posters have dissed or impugned the credentials or integrity of either Ms. Campos or Mr. Park. Both have been successful in their own right. That said, more than a few posters have expressed amazement that two of the three alleged finalists to replace Stull are current or former proteges of the current AD. Most if not all UTEP fans seem to feel this athletic department under this athletic director has reached perhaps an all-time low in on-field performance and fan support. Most UTEP fans felt the house should have been cleared at the end of the Price era. So my question is, why would you hire a protege of the guy whose leadership, policies, and decisions have brought you to this nadir in UTEP athletic history? Remember, this is the guy who employed a "committee of one", who essentially said "trust me" to UTEP fans, when he hired ANOTHER protege to coach your football team for the past five years. Raise your hand if you're happy with that outcome. Should Stull not FINALLY be held accountable for the disaster that is currently UTEP athletics and, if so, why would you even consider another Stull "nepotism" hire?

Frankly, under the circumstances, it is amazing to me that Stull is even part of the hire process, and stunning that an unbiased, external firm was NOT used to source, vet, screen, recruit, present, and support the process of identifying candidates for this critical hire. Comments from some posters indicate a lack of understanding of the role of search firms in conducting a comprehensive search for truly the best candidate for critical positions. Unless somebody doesn't WANT to conduct a comprehensive search for the best candidate for the position. Like with your last football head coach.

My personal belief is that you need a transformation leader, somebody with skills, abilities, and experience in athletic organizations that have been built/rebuilt practically from the ground up, from the S&C program to the film room. Somebody who has hired hungry, visionary coaches with performance incentives for success - and held them accountable. A person who fully appreciates the potential of UTEP and El Paso, but is realistic about where the program is now and how to take it where he/she wants to go. That has nothing to do with how many degrees you have or whether you've been P5, G5, or NAIA. My $0.02.

Last edited:
I like "Sun Dogs" but it is sad it was just a publicity stunt.

If UTEP goes with Campos I'm fine with it. Just as long as the cover every legal base in the hiring process and show accountability and fairness. Senter wants to be in El Paso and that's a good thing. He likes El Paso and that's a major plus IMO.

Winning solves all ills. That's the cure. A) UTEP needs to be more competitive in CUSA West. We don't need to be a Boise State but UTEP should aim much higher than being a Rice (Like Kug wanted) B) UTEP basketball needs revived. (UTEP basketball was a thing a beauty and was a religious experience growing up for me).

This is off topic but that's what I named my kid's 3 v 3 soccer team 12-15 years ago. Although we spelled it Sun Dawgs. Always liked that name.

Friend, I'm trying to remain patient with you, but I'll tell you again - your continued juvenile name-calling toward me and others on this board is wearing thin and is over the line. And you're wrong on the facts as well, you obviously have me misconfused with another poster. I challenge you to cite a single post in which I have denigrated someones' reputation. Okay, well maybe except for Bob Stull...
Bob Stull.

Reactions: LaserCoog
So where is Stull staying if he sold his house? Or was that kuglers house that was for sale?

UTEP budget is higher than UTSAs and attendance is almost is as good as theirs with a 0 win team. That is not something to be proud of. This is what I'm talking about. Always an excuse for ineptitude. "We're better than this school" "At least we're not NMSU" "We have better attendance in basketball"

Who f--ing cares? UTEP is the worst team in FBS and our basketball team hasn't won a NCAA game in 25 years. That's what matters, nothing else. UTSA is doing better with a lower budget than us with their football program, isn't that something we need to improve on?????
Accepting mediocre results is not at all what I was saying. UTEP is one good hire away from being heads and shoulders above UTSA.

So where is Stull staying if he sold his house? Or was that kuglers house that was for sale?

That was Stull's house for sale. He's probably renting, staying in a hotel, with a friend. Who cares????

Kugler's house might not be sold for a while because I am sure he is in a messy divorce because he cheated on his wife.

Life, to you Abilene Christian is more appealing than UTEP.

The question was about UTSA. If we are going to fix UTEP we have to admit where we are. Right now it pains me to say this UTSA is the more attractive job. First they have the location advantage. People are going to take San Antonio over El Paso. UTSA has a much deeper pool of potential corporate sponsors and donors than UTEP does.
UTSA has only been in in big time athletics for five years. They have barely scratched the surface of their potential. They have better civic support from their local government. The city is fully invested and behind UTSA. Unlike UTEP, they aren't content to be passed over and an afterthought. They want to become Boise State or Houston. Meanwhile we want to become NMSU and get a crappy seed in the ncaa tournament and think that means something or than anyone cares.

El Paso has a losers mentality and it permeates everything including. That isn't an issue around UTSA or San Antonio. It's something that must be fixed.

Delusions of grandeur are what have caused people to blindly follow Stull while the athletic department burned. We have to be real now no more delusions of grandeur. This is not impossible to fix, but it's going to take vision and proactive solutions. The academic side of the university needs big fixes and so does the athletic side. The big issue here is that people think that UTEP is more attractive job than UTSA.

Reactions: LaserCoog
That was Stull's house for sale. He's probably renting, staying in a hotel, with a friend. Who cares????

Kugler's house might not be sold for a while because I am sure he is in a messy divorce because he cheated on his wife.
Woa?? Did I miss something. He did? :eek: Or is this just a message board rumor.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The question was about UTSA. If we are going to fix UTEP we have to admit where we are. Right now it pains me to say this UTSA is the more attractive job. First they have the location advantage. People are going to take San Antonio over El Paso. UTSA has a much deeper pool of potential corporate sponsors and donors than UTEP does.
UTSA has only been in in big time athletics for five years. They have barely scratched the surface of their potential. They have better civic support from their local government. The city is fully invested and behind UTSA. Unlike UTEP, they aren't content to be passed over and an afterthought. They want to become Boise State or Houston. Meanwhile we want to become NMSU and get a crappy seed in the ncaa tournament and think that means something or than anyone cares.

El Paso has a losers mentality and it permeates everything including. That isn't an issue around UTSA or San Antonio. It's something that must be fixed.

Delusions of grandeur are what have caused people to blindly follow Stull while the athletic department burned. We have to be real now no more delusions of grandeur. This is not impossible to fix, but it's going to take vision and proactive solutions. The academic side of the university needs big fixes and so does the athletic side. The big issue here is that people think that UTEP is more attractive job than UTSA.

I agree with some of what you said, however I I disagree with the notion that the city is fully behind UTSA. For how much bigger SA is than EP, the fanbase is relatively comparable in size. SA doesn't have just one university to back like EP does. They have St. Mary's, Trinity, Incarnate Word, Texas A&M San Antonio and Our Lady of the Lake. Then on top of that, UT and A&M pull a large number of would-be fans away. My own experience from living in the area is that interest in UTSA athletics is VERY watered down.

I agree Fanaticoog. I do think one big advantage is in recruiting though. I know a lot of kids out in this area have no clue about El Paso and UTEP. UTSA has the advantage of grabbing players from the area full of D1 talent; and that has already started to show in their football recruiting classes. Talent makes coaches look good; and getting those guys out to EP is a challenge. Much harder in football than basketball, where 3 or 4 talented guys can make for a competitive team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I agree with some of what you said, however I I disagree with the notion that the city is fully behind UTSA. For how much bigger SA is than EP, the fanbase is relatively comparable in size. SA doesn't have just one university to back like EP does. They have St. Mary's, Trinity, Incarnate Word, Texas A&M San Antonio and Our Lady of the Lake. Then on top of that, UT and A&M pull a large number of would-be fans away. My own experience from living in the area is that interest in UTSA athletics is VERY watered down.

I was referring to their local government. San Antonio's local officials are fully behind UTSA.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

You cared enough to answer.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT