ADVERTISEMENT

Will Dimel turn UTEP around?

SuperMiner69

Four-star recruit
Nov 3, 2014
Do you think he can right the ship??
Will UTEP football win at least 5 games next year?
Do you think they have the right Defensive Coordinator?
Do you think they have the right Offensive Coordinator?

My answer to all four questions is yes. The team had a ton of injuries. The one question is how good the defense will be next year. I also think it is pointless to discuss it because there is no way anything will change because of the money.

My answer to all four questions is yes. The team had a ton of injuries. The one question is how good the defense will be next year. I also think it is pointless to discuss it because there is no way anything will change because of the money.
"the money" please elaborate on this (not sure what you mean by this, no disrespect intended)

Dimel seems like a nice, aww shucks, guy. As a fan who is very frustrated, I’d like to see an intense guy. Losing, at some point, becomes cultural. If you accept it and make excuses for it then the culture propogates.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
"the money" please elaborate on this (not sure what you mean by this, no disrespect intended)

What I ment by the money is that UTEP does not have the money to buy out his contract so he will be our coach for the next four years. The team was destroyed by injuries this year. The offense will be good next year. I am just not sure about the defense because of how many seniors there are.

Reactions: MinerMambo
Dimel seems like a nice, aww shucks, guy. As a fan who is very frustrated, I’d like to see an intense guy. Losing, at some point, becomes cultural. If you accept it and make excuses for it then the culture propogates.

We just had an “intense guy” for the past 5 years and where did that get us?

Here is a very brief scenario of “facts” from today, not excuses. We had only 1 starting o-lineman play today and we played our 3rd string QB(who wasn’t even on campus until 5 months ago)against the #8 ranked total defense in the entire nation. We played only 1 o-lineman today who will start our first game next season and that only o-lineman was a freshman guard who had to play out of position at left tackle today. We also started 10 different offensive lines in 12 games this year and that doesn’t even include the 2 o-line starters that we lost before the season even started.

What does yelling and screaming accomplish when you know that you are playing guys who are undersized, inexprienced, and not talented enough out of necessity? Dimel has a major rebuilding job that is going to take a couple of years worth of recruiting. Yelling and screaming and losing your patience doesn’t help in recruiting.

The team faded in the final 3 games, but I think that was due to a couple of reasons: The team goal turned into winning the Rice game, as one player even said that was their “Super Bowl”. There was a natural let down after they accomplshed that win. But I also think that our defensive players wore down at the end of the season and the lack of depth caused that. The result of those two issues was a poorer end to the season than middle of the season.

Our team has had 5 different coordinators since the start of last season(3 o-coordinators and 2 d-coordinators). That is tough on the players and involves a lot of change and adjustment. I think just keeping the same coordinators and systems for two consecutive spring balls and seasons will have a natural benefit as well. Dimel needs to be able to recruit better than we have in many many years, but his first recruiting class was very encouraging. I am hopeful that he can do even better in his second year.

No more than 3 wins next year. Expect only 2 wins.

This is Dimmel’s 3rd head coaching stint. Do not believe that he has the ability to turn a team around.

Just a nice guy collecting a paycheck

We just had an “intense guy” for the past 5 years and where did that get us?

Here is a very brief scenario of “facts” from today, not excuses. We had only 1 starting o-lineman play today and we played our 3rd string QB(who wasn’t even on campus until 5 months ago)against the #8 ranked total defense in the entire nation. We played only 1 o-lineman today who will start our first game next season and that only o-lineman was a freshman guard who had to play out of position at left tackle today. We also started 10 different offensive lines in 12 games this year and that doesn’t even include the 2 o-line starters that we lost before the season even started.

What does yelling and screaming accomplish when you know that you are playing guys who are undersized, inexprienced, and not talented enough out of necessity? Dimel has a major rebuilding job that is going to take a couple of years worth of recruiting. Yelling and screaming and losing your patience doesn’t help in recruiting.

The team faded in the final 3 games, but I think that was due to a couple of reasons: The team goal turned into winning the Rice game, as one player even said that was their “Super Bowl”. There was a natural let down after they accomplshed that win. But I also think that our defensive players wore down at the end of the season and the lack of depth caused that. The result of those two issues was a poorer end to the season than middle of the season.

Our team has had 5 different coordinators since the start of last season(3 o-coordinators and 2 d-coordinators). That is tough on the players and involves a lot of change and adjustment. I think just keeping the same coordinators and systems for two consecutive spring balls and seasons will have a natural benefit as well. Dimel needs to be able to recruit better t

I agree 100%. This team got a very large monkey off their back and that coupled with the lack of depth/injuries just wore them down. Either way, just the fact that they got a win, I will say this season was ok. For all their losses and blunders I am not angry with how the season went. This team is in the midst of a massive rebuild and they took a step forward this year.

Now with that being said I think it should be open season on any/every position aside from starting RB. Aside from Wadley and the returning linemen who were injured I don’t think anyone on this team should be guaranteed a starting spot.

Reactions: HeWore62
Maybe Dimmel's destiny is just to bring us stability and give the next guy some foundation and something to build off of.

I can imagine Dimmel winning 3-6 games per season until his contract runs out.

However, by the time we have to hire a new coach there should be more willing candidates as the place will be less of a dumpster fire.

I say he will. His recruiting has been very good so far. It is a complete 180 from Kugler's recruiting. Kugler left this program at the bottom of the barrel and it is going to take time to turn this around.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Hopefully we don’t lose anyone on that defensive line to transfer. Best defense we’ve had in a decade plus. Wadley is a proven guy, Dawn Jr has shown flashes, needs to work hard and slim down this offseason. Same with the young WRs who stepped up after Dawn and Kavika redshirted. But the key, as you all know l, is who QB1 will be. I expect them to win at least 4-5 games if they square QB position away.

Regarding the OC, I think UTEP was very predictable as the season wore on. Defenses seemed to know the read option was coming on 1st and 2nd down. I’m willing to give Canales as pass because the QBs threw way too many INTs and our WRs as a whole were not very good either. I can understand why they didn’t take any shots downfield the last 3-4 games of the season.

I can imagine Dimmel winning 3-6 games per season until his contract runs out.

If Dimmel were to win 6 games that would constitute a turnaround to me...

But, I don't think he's going to be the coach if the Miners evolve into a steady winning/competitive program...

He'd be the catalyst, but I don't think he'll still be here...

Reactions: minermx07
USM had an 0-12 season in 2012. Fired their coach and hired Todd Monken.

So far Dimel in on track to match Monken's turn around at USM.
Both had first year records of 1-11.

If Dimel can match Monken's 2nd year total of 3 wins then that will be sufficient progress. Want more, of course.

If Dimel can then match Monken's 3rd year total of 9 wins, we would be ecstatic! Patience is difficult but necessary in this process.

Yes, the offense was so injured that it's amazing we did anything at all. But the way the defense toughed it out, I have hope. Dimel needs another year or two to get a better grade of recruits in. I won't make excuses. He needs to show improvement. He needs to show current fans and future recruits both that the wins are trending up. This was year one. If Dimel hasn't gotten up to five or six wins by year four, we are going to need a new coach. But until then, we fans have to tough it out like the defense did. At least we'll see how he recruits in a full off season. Our last coach didn't even bother to recruit a field goal kicker. Do you suspect Dimel of being that careless? I don't. He'll do better just on that, what ever his coaching ability is.

Do you think he can right the ship?? Nope

Will UTEP football win at least 5 games next year? Hell no. 0-12, 1-11, or 2-10 are the best case scenarios regardless what happens in recruiting from now till next August.

Do you think they have the right Defensive Coordinator? Yes.

Do you think they have the right Offensive Coordinator? Hell no.

Reactions: shyminer81
What I ment by the money is that UTEP does not have the money to buy out his contract so he will be our coach for the next four years. The team was destroyed by injuries this year. The offense will be good next year. I am just not sure about the defense because of how many seniors there are.
Why will the offense be good next year? Just curious what your base that on? I hope you're right though.

Looking at UTEP's FB schedule for 2019, I think there are enough winnable games that the Miners should be expected to win at least 3.

1st game is at home vs Houston Baptist, a bad FCS team this year. If Dimel and crew have the Miners somewhat improved they should easily win that game. If they manage to lose it, Dimel's seat should start warming up.

The NMSU game is in LC later in the season. UTEP was the better team but gifted the Aggies a couple of TDs. Good shot at a win for the Miners.

UTSA and Rice are in El Paso. Both very winnable.

UAB loses tons of starters and backups due to the way they were allowed to rebuild. The game is at UAB but a solid chance for another win.

Very likely that the conference crossover games will be ODU who just lost to Rice, and Charlotte who just fired their coach. Both had losing seasons and UTEP should be able play with these two.

Texas Tech, Nevada, LT, UNT and USM may all be too tough for UTEP and I would not include them in the winnable list.

So 7 games I would count as winnable so winning at least 3 is not a fantasy type prediction. Winning all 7, well that's another story.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Looking at UTEP's FB schedule for 2019, I think there are enough winnable games that the Miners should be expected to win at least 3.

1st game is at home vs Houston Baptist, a bad FCS team this year. If Dimel and crew have the Miners somewhat improved they should easily win that game. If they manage to lose it, Dimel's seat should start warming up.

The NMSU game is in LC later in the season. UTEP was the better team but gifted the Aggies a couple of TDs. Good shot at a win for the Miners.

UTSA and Rice are in El Paso. Both very winnable.

UAB loses tons of starters and backups due to the way they were allowed to rebuild. The game is at UAB but a solid chance for another win.

Very likely that the conference crossover games will be ODU who just lost to Rice, and Charlotte who just fired their coach. Both had losing seasons and UTEP should be able play with these two.

Texas Tech, Nevada, LT, UNT and USM may all be too tough for UTEP and I would not include them in the winnable list.

So 7 games I would count as winnable so winning at least 3 is not a fantasy type prediction. Winning all 7, well that's another story.

That is reasonable. A lot depends on what these redshirt freshmen and JUCOs bring as well.

No excuse not to win six next year.
LOL I can think of 7 or 8 legit excuses, GUYS OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM IS STILL IN SHAMBLES!!!! Wish I can drink the Kool-aid, but I just can't on this one.

We are not close to winning five games, we're losing our best four or five defensive players to graduation and they are our best overall players, and return NOTHING on offense except Wadley and a banged up offensive line, we are still the worst football program in the country, one win against Rice or a close game at home against a beat up North Texas or a close game against LA Tech team shouldn't change the reality of the current lack of big time talent that is needed to win at the FBS level.

A stud group of RB's, QB's, or WR's ain't walking through that door between now and next November. Dimel and his staff almost blew a 34-10 lead to Rice, freaking Rice. Improvement? We compete in games now? Great, we went 1-11 overall, our average margin of suck against teams with losing records this year is 14.6 points i.e. UTEP was two scores worse than teams who are not even planning a bowl trip this year, that also includes a FCS team that stomped us at home, in the season opener by 20, don't wanna hear first game excuses on that one at ALL.

This is a major rebuild, don't matter the strength of schedule next year, we are going to be worse than next year unless Dimel attracts every grad transfer skill player on the market this off season or puts together one hell of a JUCO recruiting class between now and the December signing date.

I truly love me some UTEP and am desperate to see football turn the corner more than anyone, but we gotta keep it real, we will suck even worse next year, it will take at least two or three more recruiting classes to be at a level where we can actually complete with programs who have had consistent winning records in this decade, the cupboard is super dry guys, lets be real, Dimel has a longgg way to go.....

My concern is that we apparently only have 11 or 12 scholarships to give out this year? I think the staff needs to sit down with some of our guys and have some serious conversations, for instance why is Brady Viles still on scholarship when we already brought in a freshman placekicker to fill his kick-off role? I think we also have 2 players that are only listed as deep snappers.....one of them probably needs to go. Last year was nice feel good story in that we only had one player transfer out(Dove), but this year I almost want to see a large number of transfers just so we can open up some more scholarships.

Last edited:
If Dimel finds a Quarterback, he will win. If he doesn't he won't. Right now, I don't think we have our answer at QB in the cut. We need to go out and find one.

LOL I can think of 7 or 8 legit excuses, GUYS OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM IS STILL IN SHAMBLES!!!! Wish I can drink the Kool-aid, but I just can't on this one.

We are not close to winning five games, we're losing our best four or five defensive players to graduation and they are our best overall players, and return NOTHING on offense except Wadley and a banged up offensive line, we are still the worst football program in the country, one win against Rice or a close game at home against a beat up North Texas or a close game against LA Tech team shouldn't change the reality of the current lack of big time talent that is needed to win at the FBS level.

A stud group of RB's, QB's, or WR's ain't walking through that door between now and next November. Dimel and his staff almost blew a 34-10 lead to Rice, freaking Rice. Improvement? We compete in games now? Great, we went 1-11 overall, our average margin of suck against teams with losing records this year is 14.6 points i.e. UTEP was two scores worse than teams who are not even planning a bowl trip this year, that also includes a FCS team that stomped us at home, in the season opener by 20, don't wanna hear first game excuses on that one at ALL.

This is a major rebuild, don't matter the strength of schedule next year, we are going to be worse than next year unless Dimel attracts every grad transfer skill player on the market this off season or puts together one hell of a JUCO recruiting class between now and the December signing date.

I truly love me some UTEP and am desperate to see football turn the corner more than anyone, but we gotta keep it real, we will suck even worse next year, it will take at least two or three more recruiting classes to be at a level where we can actually complete with programs who have had consistent winning records in this decade, the cupboard is super dry guys, lets be real, Dimel has a longgg way to go.....

O-line should be real good alot of young guys got experience and our best two lineman comeback from injury.

All the running back come back plus walter dawn Jr who redshirted.

We have nice core of returning recievers. The young guys showed flashes this year.

QB is the biggest question mark most important posistion that needs to be resolved.
We also have a huge need at tight end.

The d-line should be good.

We have pretty good young linebackers.

We have to replace the secondary. I'm not as worried about the secondary as other posistions.

We dont play in the SEC West. We play in cusa-west where every school will be on a downward trajectory next year except USM and UNT if they keep their coach. We played every team in the division close this year except USM there isnt a talent gap between us and the rest of the division.

There is no reason not to win six next year. I'm not expecting 10 or even eight. However, six is a very reasonable expectation for the team.

Expecting Dimel to make this team bowl eligible (6 wins) in his second year is unreasonable considering the mess Kugler left him.

Just having to replace a secondary and find a new QB is easily no better than a 3-4 win season. There is no talent gap between us and Rice, maybe UTSA, but the rest of the division isn't even close.

If anyone here wants to say 6 wins is attainable, ok. Cool. Personally I think we’re asking for a lot of things to break in UTEP’s favor which has rarely been the case.

Dimel’s got to win 3-4 games next year to keep fans’ pulse alive.

UNLV is entering year five of their rebuilding process and they still can’t hit six wins. I don’t expect anything more than 2 FBS wins next year.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
UNLV is entering year five of their rebuilding process and they still can’t hit six wins. I don’t expect anything more than 2 FBS wins next year.

Problem is they went with Nevada's version of Todd Dodge and are getting the same results UNT got with a high school coach.

Used to be optimistic, but I don't see more than 2 wins next season. The offense is bad, the calls are worse. I like the defense, but again we lose the studs.

Why will the offense be good next year? Just curious what your base that on? I hope you're right though.

UTEP will have the best offensive line in years, next year. QB was a major problem this year but I expect Locksley and Jones to be much better because of the experience of this year and a full off season. I just can't believe they will turn the ball over as many times next year. I also like our recruits and think Dimel and staff will get the QBs and WRs on the same page and be able to open up the offense.

Did Justin Garrett and Justin Prince redshirt last year?

According to the official participation report, both players are eligible for a redshirt; Garrett played in exactly 4 straight games and then they sat him for the So. Miss game, while Prince did not play in any games. Dimel mentioned Prince by name during the So. Miss. post game radio interview as someone who can help in the future, so I don’t know why he didn’t play this year, but I assume that he is good go for the future.

Some of the freshman who played in exactly four games and are elgible for redshirt were: Klein, Logoleo, Walters, Amaewhule, Ruiz, Wilson.

According to the official participation report, both players are eligible for a redshirt; Garrett played in exactly 4 straight games and then they sat him for the So. Miss game, while Prince did not play in any games. Dimel mentioned Prince by name during the So. Miss. post game radio interview as someone who can help in the future, so I don’t know why he didn’t play this year, but I assume that he is good go for the future.

Some of the freshman who played in exactly four games and are elgible for redshirt were: Klein, Logoleo, Walters, Amaewhule, Ruiz, Wilson.

I feel like Dimel knew this year was going to be tough, so why eligibility when this team is up the creek. It is probably for the best this team take their lumps and build for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT