ADVERTISEMENT

A few Observations on UTEP/NMSU

Mar 7, 2013
Good win last night (would not call it a great one as NMSU was short handed). Miners are a really good defensive team enjoyed their physical play underneath. Villa is a stretch forward and with his size and shooting gives us opportunities to get the ball inside and rotate the ball. Did not see the best of Williams last night as fouls took some of PT he had, but Efe filled the bill and gives the Miners a really good 1-2 punch down low. Lathon shoots a really flat jumpshot almost Luster Goodwin flat, but he seems to make it work. Souly's shot is really, really ugly but he does add a lot on the defensive end. We have some nice bench players as well, Veerhooven is raw but comes in with energy, Hawkins is going to make a difference. Overall this team has a lot of upside and going to be fun to see them progress.

Anyone k ow what's going on with Tarke? I think most of us expected him and Williams alike to be huge impacts. So far only Williams is living up to the hype.

Not making excuses for them.....we played them last year with 7 so it's all fair play. They didn't consider those wins last year great wins, neither should we about last nights game. What we beat on the court last night was a good team, not a great one. Next five or six games will for both of us will define what kind of teams we are.

You guys played some solid defense last night. You guys have a good team that that will only get better. You guys beat us fair and square last night. No excuses from this Aggies fan. Good luck next week when you play UNM, hopefully you guys beat them.

Last edited:
Some of my observations from last night's game:

We haven't seen this level of talent since the Caracter led Barbee team. If this team can put it together the way that team did, watch out.

Terry handles first half fouls the same way Barbee did: he immediately sits a player who picks up two fouls in the first half, no exceptions. I remember Barbee doing this to DJ against the Aggies one season, and thought that Barbee was being way too rigid. We ended up with a huge first half deficit with Jackson on the bench, a deficit that was too big for a second half rally to overcome. I thought at the time that Barbee made a mistake, as I believed that DJ was smart enough to play with those two fouls. I support Terry in his decision to bench Williams after Bryson picked up his second foul, however. Bryson cannot keep himself out of foul trouble.

Bryson has to learn to play smarter. He scored 19 points and grabbed 8 boards in only 17 minutes of play. Amazing. But he can't help us during those times that he's sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

It's fortunate that our best bench player backs up Williams. Even though Efe only took three shots and only hit one, I was happy with his game last night. There were at least three times last night when Efe was double teamed and responded with a quick pass to a wide open player. Last year he couldn't handle double and triple teams. The kid is learning.

We talk about having depth, but if we do, someone forgot to inform the coaches. Boum played 38 minutes last night. Edward's 37. Vila was out there for 36. If he hadn't picked up his fourth foul, Lathon would have played more than his 34 minutes. I know that it's early on the season, these guys are young, and games have been a week or so apart so far. But that will change.

I thought that Hawkins gave us some good minutes in the first half. He had the steal and lay up, a blocked shot, and a nice cut to the basket for a lay up. But if Lathon hadn't picked up that fourth foul, would he have seen any time at all in the second half? Meanwhile Boum couldn't throw the ball in the ocean past night. Give Hawkins some more minutes. You can give Stroud or Tarke some minutes at the wing rather than playing three guards all of the time. With Williams and Efe in foul trouble, Tarke could have seen some time at the four spot, which might be a more natural position for him.

He didn't set the world on fire, but Verhoeven gave us some solid minutes with our bigs in foul trouble. Hopefully he gets some more chances to prove himself, but not because our bigs foul too much.

We took care of the ball much better last night. But then our defensive rebounding was horrible, giving up WAY too many offensive rebounds and second chance points. We've only seen the team three times (well, those of us that are out of town have only seen them twice, and heard them once) this season, and in those three games we have seen them rebound well, defend well, play within their offense, and do a decent job of taking care of the ball. But we haven't seen them do all of the above in a single game. When they finally do, it will be awesome to behold

Last edited:
Some thoughts:

To start, NMSU is not as good as the past few years and we are way better. This was mentioned before the season. This was a nice win given the circumstances, but we should beat them on the road too. That will be a better test as this team hasn't shown anything away from home yet.

UNM will be a better home test as they are BIG, go 8 deep and have balanced scoring. A win here could lead up to a big december.

Next, with the return of Hawkins and the pending addition of Archie, this team will go 10 deep all year (barring injury). Hawkins is a firecracker and versatile, so he has a lot to offer. I like Hawk coming off the bench because of his energy. He could push Boum so that's a good thing. Boum just has better ball control right now.

Verhoeven will be big coming off the bench as our 4th PF/C. There will be foul trouble between Williams and Efe. If he gets confidence in his role then lookout. He hasn't even blocked a shot yet.

I feel bad for Tarke. He came from being a highly touted transfer/star of his team to a guy that can't find any minutes. He's had 2 chances to finish at the rim with dunks and couldn't do it. Is he out of position? Did the year off hurt him? Is he just not as good as we/Terry thought? At this point he has no role on the team. I think there is something there and I hope he can stay positive and contribute.

Stroud could be a future star, but this will basically be a second 'redshirt' year for him. I can only see him playing under very specific circumstances and in mop up time. Maybe sometime this year we will get to see him on a breakaway.

Vila I spoke about on another thread. Really good player, but if he learns backside help on defense and aggression on rebounded and pushing the break, then he is All-Conference. Williams, Lathon and Edwards are sure fire starters. I like the way Lathon forced his hand to start the game and got the crowd going. Efe 1st off the bench is awesome. This guy has transformed himself and he will be a big key to our success.

Some thoughts:

To start, NMSU is not as good as the past few years and we are way better. This was mentioned before the season. This was a nice win given the circumstances, but we should beat them on the road too. That will be a better test as this team hasn't shown anything away from home yet.

UNM will be a better home test as they are BIG, go 8 deep and have balanced scoring. A win here could lead up to a big december.

Next, with the return of Hawkins and the pending addition of Archie, this team will go 10 deep all year (barring injury). Hawkins is a firecracker and versatile, so he has a lot to offer. I like Hawk coming off the bench because of his energy. He could push Boum so that's a good thing. Boum just has better ball control right now.

Verhoeven will be big coming off the bench as our 4th PF/C. There will be foul trouble between Williams and Efe. If he gets confidence in his role then lookout. He hasn't even blocked a shot yet.

I feel bad for Tarke. He came from being a highly touted transfer/star of his team to a guy that can't find any minutes. He's had 2 chances to finish at the rim with dunks and couldn't do it. Is he out of position? Did the year off hurt him? Is he just not as good as we/Terry thought? At this point he has no role on the team. I think there is something there and I hope he can stay positive and contribute.

Stroud could be a future star, but this will basically be a second 'redshirt' year for him. I can only see him playing under very specific circumstances and in mop up time. Maybe sometime this year we will get to see him on a breakaway.

Vila I spoke about on another thread. Really good player, but if he learns backside help on defense and aggression on rebounded and pushing the break, then he is All-Conference. Williams, Lathon and Edwards are sure fire starters. I like the way Lathon forced his hand to start the game and got the crowd going. Efe 1st off the bench is awesome. This guy has transformed himself and he will be a big key to our success.
That's not accurate about NMSU, not being as good this year. Most publications had them improved this year. However they were missing two starters. When we see em again they'll be better and so will we so it'll be a dog fight.

Reactions: minerfan_14
That's not accurate about NMSU, not being as good this year. Most publications had them improved this year. However they were missing two starters. When we see em again they'll be better and so will we so it'll be a dog fight.
I'm not downplaying the win. Yes they were missing Harris (not sure who the other starter is?), but I have inside info that they are not as good this year and I mentioned this before the season. Publications just go by past success and recruiting, rarely do they dive deep. For all I know NMSU could go undefeated to their next NCAA tourney. All I care is that we won and that we smacked that ass. That's what I wanted. On to bigger and better things.

4-0 pretty much speaks for itself.....we are almost halfway to our entire win total last year. If your talking turnaround this looks like it. Going to be good one next week with UNM.

Good source told me at the football game last saturday Tarke is more of a stretch four and has been playing out of position and Terry has moved him back to the four, with Villa defending so well, hard to see Tarke snagging minutes soon. Will be interesting to watch....
I think Tarke moving back to a stretch four spot is the way to go. The transition to a wing spot by an interior player is difficult. Tarke has had time to work on this transition, and is still struggling by most accounts. Best case scenario, he backs up Vila, who is playing extended minutes right now.

Last edited:
I'm not downplaying the win. Yes they were missing Harris (not sure who the other starter is?), but I have inside info that they are not as good this year and I mentioned this before the season. Publications just go by past success and recruiting, rarely do they dive deep. For all I know NMSU could go undefeated to their next NCAA tourney. All I care is that we won and that we smacked that ass. That's what I wanted. On to bigger and better things.
True, we don't know until the season plays out. However on paper with what they have returning, they are expected to be better. The other starter out was Clayton Henry I believe.

Reactions: axingfools1
I don't think anyone mentioned Odigie. He dished out a couple of sweet dimes. He had a nice give and go with Villa and when double-teamed down on the blocks he found Williams all alone for the slam. I hope they get Odigie, Williams, and Villa out on the court together in the next couple of games. I think that would create so many problems for the opposition.

I don't think anyone mentioned Odigie. He dished out a couple of sweet dimes. He had a nice give and go with Villa and when double-teamed down on the blocks he found Williams all alone for the slam. I hope they get Odigie, Williams, and Villa out on the court together in the next couple of games. I think that would create so many problems for the opposition.
I saw that nice give and go.

Reactions: develman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT