ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stull

I'm betting they hire the AD from Northern Arizona, Lisa Campos. We need a great fundraiser and someone who will layout expectations for our programs (academics & Wins) and hold coaches accountable.

Contract expires on Thursday?? Sounds like somebody pulled the plug on ole Bob. Still, thanks for everything. Next up, CTF.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Does this mean he wasn't able to secure the funding for the Sun Bowl luxury boxes? I thought his plan was to announce the multi million dollar renovations then ride off into the sunset.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Does this mean he wasn't able to secure the funding for the Sun Bowl luxury boxes? I thought his plan was to announce the multi million dollar renovations then ride off into the sunset.

Last year he burnt some bridges with some very prominent boosters.

So, based on what we know from the article, we know his contract expires today and he's been looking at houses for 2 years. To me, this would imply he's been talking to Natalicio about it for some time and I would also bet that they have already been in touch with possible replacements.
I don't feel the timing is that bad.
Cool thing is Price doesn't have his pull anymore and Kugler and Floyd's seats should now be getting hot.

So, based on what we know from the article, we know his contract expires today and he's been looking at houses for 2 years. To me, this would imply he's been talking to Natalicio about it for some time and I would also bet that they have already been in touch with possible replacements.
Cool thing is Price doesn't have his pull anymore and Kugler and Floyd's seats should now be getting hot.

No timing is bad for this to happen. In fact the timing couldn't be better!

Last year they were very close to securing funding for the sun bowl renovation. Two of the major boosters asked Stull to outline his plan to make UTEP a perennial contender with the facilities upgrades. He told them they had to trust him. That didn't go well with them. When the season went into free fall last year a group of boosters went to natalicio and told her they wanted a new coach and would pay for the buyout. These boosters support a lot more than athletics at UTEP and used that as leverage over Natalicio. Stull apparently thought they were bluffing. They weren't when the status quo remained money walked, and it effects the academic side as much as athletics especially considering the state cuts. Until the university commits to winning the money is gone.

There has also been a growing divide between the El Paso based boosters and boosters based outside El Paso. Stull for years has for years given access to a lot of El Paso boosters that their donation level didn't justify. Surrounding himself with low level donors from El Paso insulated Stull from criticisms and reality. The El Paso boosters never questioned Stull. This really angered some big money boosters that local guys were getting as much access as them when their donation levels were a fraction of the big money guys.

I say hire somebody away from the Chihuahuas, although I think it will take a lot of convincing.
Bro, you and your multiple screen names penis ride the Chihuahuas more than anyone on this board, and it makes sound as stupid as you look in real life.

Most people working for minor league organizations are getting their feet wet in the sports management world and have ZERO experience in running a multi-million dollar athletic department..

Minor league baseball marketing, and running a Division I athletic department ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD AND STOP COMPARING THEM A** WIPE!!!!

Hope everyone you ask for an autograph turns you down tonight.

Last year they were very close to securing funding for the sun bowl renovation. Two of the major boosters asked Stull to outline his plan to make UTEP a perennial contender with the facilities upgrades. He told them they had to trust him. That didn't go well with them. When the season went into free fall last year a group of boosters went to natalicio and told her they wanted a new coach and would pay for the buyout. These boosters support a lot more than athletics at UTEP and used that as leverage over Natalicio. Stull apparently thought they were bluffing. They weren't when the status quo remained money walked, and it effects the academic side as much as athletics especially considering the state cuts. Until the university commits to winning the money is gone.
Interesting read. It looks like both Kugler and Floyd are on the hot seats and need to do something significant in the upcoming season in FB and BB if they want to keep their job. Especially if boosters are talking about paying $$$ for contract buyouts. Its game on for Kugler and Floyd. Today is a great day for UTEP Athletics.

Bro, you and your multiple screen names penis ride the Chihuahuas more than anyone on this board, and it makes sound as stupid as you look in real life.

Most people working for minor league organizations are getting their feet wet in the sports management world and have ZERO experience in running a multi-million dollar athletic department..

Minor league baseball marketing, and running a Division I athletic department ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD AND STOP COMPARING THEM A** WIPE!!!!

Hope everyone you ask for an autograph turns you down tonight.

Wow, somebody is mad!!

Brad Taylor has had many years working in Minor League Baseball, but there is no chance he would ever take the job.

Sad that some people can't disagree without looking childish.

First off, he did a tremendous amount of good things at UTEP. Natalicio had her plan for UTEP (and a damn good as it turned out) and he got her on board. Prior to the that, UTEP was literally a good ol boy AD and made painful decisions, cleaned out some office space within the department and made tangible improvements around the campus for the students, athletes, and fans. That came from him, no one else. He did take his lumps and learned from them.

Bad side. He's arrogant. You have to have some swagger to play with the big boys but his arrogance turned off "the casual fan" in El Paso and they kindly repaid him back by not opening their wallet for him when he or the local media came calling to "C'mon man! Support your Miners!" when years were lean.....like now. Second, his arrogance put him at odds with the local media. Neither like to talk about it at length but it happened. The local media took the high road with him a few times throughout his tenure here and had legitimate cause to blast him.. They totally used kid gloves with him because if he was in a bigger market, they would have eaten him alive.....right Austin? Third, he shielded himself with the boosters against fan backlash and last years fiasco with the basketball team was an excellent example as it spilled over on to live sports radio (ESPN Big600 and his rumored green light for Floyd to ambush a local sports radio host during what was supposed to be press conference). He took heat for the Gary Nord hiring and all he could say to El Paso was "I'll never do that again". Really Bob?! Any pop warner coach would tell you to not let the kids make the final decision. Finally and not known to the public, he (and Price) lost control of the program. At first I thought Kug was being his typical Kug self but Price really did leave pretty close to a dumpster fire. Kug may depart with an overall losing record and his offensive philosophy leaves a lot to be desired, but he literally cleaned up the program. Stull brought Kug for major clean up and save his hide if the mess saw the light of day publicly.

And with this, it's best he retire. We got to some bowl games, but didn't win any. He hired BG and Barbee who brought in a ton of entertainment not experienced since the late 80's and early 90's. He did bring Price who taught UTEP fans to expect more. UTEP is still the tops in CUSA attendance believe or not and that is a good sign during tough times. But then again, we did have Rabadeaux (RIP), Nord, Sadler and Floyd. They were and are underachievers and some totally embarrassed UTEP or came in riding the coat tails of circumstance only to leave, or soon to leave UTEP with an empty fridge (Nord did leave some excellent players for Price). As for me, he helped transform the Mesa/Cincy District that is across from UTEP. Stull did give a shot in the arm to UTEP which in turn energizes business.

Last edited:
Reactions: sportsfan5000
Wow, somebody is mad!!

Brad Taylor has had many years working in Minor League Baseball, but there is no chance he would ever take the job.

Sad that some people can't disagree without looking childish.
I'm sure that Bowling Green, Kentucky gig in low-A ball will prepare him to turn around a burning ship like UTEP Athletics, great take, great contribution to the board my friend.

There's no chance Brad Taylor would ever be considered, get over it loser.

If being "childish" means having a funny/hot take with substance, then you have zero sense of humor or common sense.

Have a nice day.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I'm sure that Bowling Green, Kentucky gig in low-A ball will prepare him to turn around a burning ship like UTEP Athletics, great take, great contribution to the board my friend.

There's no chance Brad Taylor would ever be considered, get over it loser.

If being "childish" means having a funny/hot take with substance, then you have zero sense of humor or common sense.

Have a nice day.

Childish is calling somebody stupid and using stupid language. It doesn't offend me at all, but it's just funny when somebody resorts to that because it really shows their character. I could do the same to you, but I have more class than you and more mature than you so I won't stoop to your level.

And, if given the chance, I think Brad would do a fine job. But again, that is my OPINION. Some people don't understand that opinions are not facts and some people get their panties in a bunch when they don't agree with other people's OPINIONS.

There has also been a growing divide between the El Paso based boosters and boosters based outside El Paso. Stull for years has for years given access to a lot of El Paso boosters that their donation level didn't justify. Surrounding himself with low level donors from El Paso insulated Stull from criticisms and reality. The El Paso boosters never questioned Stull. This really angered some big money boosters that local guys were getting as much access as them when their donation levels were a fraction of the big money guys.

Wait a darn cotton pick'en minute! So there actually was a tangible offer to buyout Kug's contract?

Dear ESPN600, ABC 7, NBC 9 and CBS 4 local sports affiliates: You all failed UTEP and the community. Even you newer "young guns" Opie looking dunderheads who made public claims on social media that you would do your job with independence when covering UTEP sports. You all were complicit with Stull.

The timing is bad to hire an experienced AD. They're likely to be employed as an AD currently, and not likely to be looking as football kicks off.

I hope this doesn't mean the decision has already been made and that we're settling.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
I'm not concerned with the timing. I want someone with experience and who can make a dollar holla! UTEP should interview Tommy McClelland II from La Tech. Tops in the WAC and tops in CUSA and with a smaller budget, small town and with less fan support.

BTW, has anyone seen the neighborhood where Kugler lives? Throw a nice meal from his patio and UTEP can probably hire an AD from major P5 school. You can see Albuquerque from his place.:p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT