ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Hell I’ll say it. If all the rumored transfers show up and are as good as we assume they are then we will have a special season. To me a special season is similar to what WKU accomplished this last season.
I'll more than gladly have some banter with anyone, but EP1 or Shovel. So Corona, I am excited about the D1 experience we'll have in 2019-2020. By Special I mean winning more than 25 games and winning a game or two in the NCAA. Or if we miss the NCAA because the way CUSA is set up a deep run to New York in NIT and maybe win it.

Reactions: axingfools1
I'll more than gladly have some banter with anyone, but EP1 or Shovel. So Corona, I am excited about the D1 experience we'll have in 2019-2020. By Special I mean winning more than 25 games and winning a game or two in the NCAA. Or if we miss the NCAA because the way CUSA is set up a deep run to New York in NIT and maybe win it.
That’s why I said something similar to what WKU did. They are in year two of the Stansbury era won 27 games, made the CUSA championship game, and NIT final four.

In 2019 I think CUSA will look much different so we might be able to take advantage of it. MTSU will still be in rebuild mode. If WKU and Marshall have similar seasons to last year they’ll be looking for a new HC. If ODU doesn’t make the NCAA they’ll be starting over. The biggest questions will be UTSA and UNT. McCasland is trying to build a quick team to go onto the next gig. If he’s successful they’ll be back to the bottom of the standings in 19. UTSA fans swear Henson is the best coach CUSA has ever seen. If he lives up to half the hype they’ll also be out of a hc and back to the bottom of the standings.

The stars might align very nicely for us is 2019.

This is nowhere close to what barbee brought. This talent is way better. The players that Barbee brought were unkown. The players that Terry is bringing is players that other schools want.
Barbee did what Haskins did when he got here. He got young guys that were totally, totally unknown. Two examples were Stone and Culppeper. Mid majors wouldn't give them a whiff. Both are now UTEP legends.

Reactions: FiliUTEP
I would think/hope so. Although I keep being surprised by the acquisition of guards. Lol.

Unless we land some diamond in the rough JC late qualifier, I like the last two spots (provided we land Williams) going to grad transfer interior guys so that CRT would have those two slots available, along with PT’s, the following year, when he has ALL year long to scout and bring in who he really wants. I’m impressed by Terry’s ability to sell his “vision”, and believe he can acquire some absolute gems with a whole year to get it done.

Do you know of any interior JC guys who could help us immediately?
I went to junior college basketball transfers 2018 top 100 player rankings.It's actually JUCU Recruiting.com and found multiple PF's and C's still available. I imagine Terry has more accurate lists than this, but it's certainly worth looking at.

That’s why I said something similar to what WKU did. They are in year two of the Stansbury era won 27 games, made the CUSA championship game, and NIT final four.

In 2019 I think CUSA will look much different so we might be able to take advantage of it. MTSU will still be in rebuild mode. If WKU and Marshall have similar seasons to last year they’ll be looking for a new HC. If ODU doesn’t make the NCAA they’ll be starting over. The biggest questions will be UTSA and UNT. McCasland is trying to build a quick team to go onto the next gig. If he’s successful they’ll be back to the bottom of the standings in 19. UTSA fans swear Henson is the best coach CUSA has ever seen. If he lives up to half the hype they’ll also be out of a hc and back to the bottom of the standings.

With our potential line up with Williams and Co I don't think UTSA or N. Texas will be on our level. When I say Special I think that potential line up will be tops in CUSA or top 2. I only throw NIT out there, cause we could win regularl season titke lose in tourney n not make it. I hope that winter be the case, but Middle Tenn. proved there is no error for slip ups. Meanwhile I believe this year is a rebuilding year. However I could see us being at or above .500 and Terry taking them to a post season tourney like Barber did to get more experience and practice time.

Reactions: axingfools1
I would think/hope so. Although I keep being surprised by the acquisition of guards. Lol.

Unless we land some diamond in the rough JC late qualifier, I like the last two spots (provided we land Williams) going to grad transfer interior guys so that CRT would have those two slots available, along with PT’s, the following year, when he has ALL year long to scout and bring in who he really wants. I’m impressed by Terry’s ability to sell his “vision”, and believe he can acquire some absolute gems with a whole year to get it done.

Do you know of any interior JC guys who could help us immediately?
With the limited options available at this point, like you mentioned, it could very well be a baptism under fire for both the two big freshmen. There is still time to find a transfer, but with just one official visit left, the staff will need to be careful. I think Kelvin Jones is still available ;)

We definitely need more bodies for next year. I think Stroud is still a question mark. It is a bit odd that he is still participating in AAU tournaments; and I don't think we've seen an official announcement from UTEP on his signing. We definitely need Williams to come on board. To me, he was the number one target late.

As speculated a few weeks ago, I wonder if there is still a qualification question with Stroud and he is playing AAU to keep his visibility up while they wait for that to get situated? If he doesn’t get cleared, then the extra visibility can only help him gain other options if he chooses not to go the prop 48 route? At least that might be one possible explanation for why he is still playing AAU? The fact that his visit to UTEP wasn’t an official visit also plays into the theory that there might be something non-conventional about his eligibility status.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Guys, with our newest “San Francisco treat”, there’s no doubt this team has National Championship written all over it. Kobe Magee reminds me of Steph Curry and Rodney Terry is a younger version of Nolan Richardson. Think Really BIG....
From Fabens......

Reactions: El Paso 1
Guys, with our newest “San Francisco treat”, there’s no doubt this team has National Championship written all over it. Kobe Magee reminds me of Steph Curry and Rodney Terry is a younger version of Nolan Richardson. Think Really BIG....
From Fabens......

NOW, that's MINER PRIDE ... say it loud ..
as ShoveMan66 likes to say "blind faith is better than no faith"
from Hollywood ... I feel ya Fabens ..

Reactions: ShovelMan66

It's funny how you are still mentioning our games.

You don't like responding to us because you cry like a baby when somebody doesn't agree with you.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some really good teams in CUSA, but we still kicked their asses? We need a better conference RPI. That is my vision....to dominate a better conference.

With the limited options available at this point, like you mentioned, it could very well be a baptism under fire for both the two big freshmen. There is still time to find a transfer, but with just one official visit left, the staff will need to be careful. I think Kelvin Jones is still available ;)

We definitely need more bodies for next year. I think Stroud is still a question mark. It is a bit odd that he is still participating in AAU tournaments; and I don't think we've seen an official announcement from UTEP on his signing. We definitely need Williams to come on board. To me, he was the number one target late.
I've thought about Kelvin Jones too, but didn't want to say it because of how he left and the bad timing, etc... The kid had a lot of potential and would have been the starter in waiting. Then again we may not have gotten Eze. Who knows.

Not taking your bait. Special, means Special... Period!

What do you mean they really messed up... Giving Up on Terry??? They gave him an extension with an increase in pay each year... They didn't give up on him we stole him, because he didn't have a buy out and wanted to get back to Texas!

UTEP actually gave him what he wanted come back to Texas and a budget to go out and recruit. What
else could he asked for. He is also getting over 700K. He knows that if he does good the big boys
from Texas will be knocking the door the way they did BG.

Go Miners...

Last edited:
I went to junior college basketball transfers 2018 top 100 player rankings.It's actually JUCU Recruiting.com and found multiple PF's and C's still available. I imagine Terry has more accurate lists than this, but it's certainly worth looking at.
That list is not updated and I beleive most of those kids that qualified have signed. Keep in mind that a JC kid will have 2-3 years of eligibilty left. Terry may not want to take that on this late in the process (unless he finds the right guy).

If Terry gets Williams, then that still leaves 3 underclassmen on the front line for 2019, but the whole year to recruit another big (high school or JC or grad transfer). I'm not including Tarke because I see him at SF.

What we need right now is a grad transfer to help up front and take pressure off the freshman and allow them to build confidence. If a freshman ends up being better than expected and becomes a starter, then the grad transfer can back up. Easier said than done.

Last edited:
That list is not updated and I beleive most of those kids that qualified have signed. Keep in mind that a JC kid will have 2-3 years of eligibilty left. Terry may not want to take that on this late in the process (unless he finds the right guy).

If Terry gets Williams, then that still leaves 3 underclassmen on the front line for 2019, but the whole year to recruit another big (high school or JC or grad transfer). I'm not including Tarke because I see him at SF.

What we need right now is a grad transfer to help up front and take pressure off the freshman and allow them to build confidence. If a freshman ends up being better than expected and becomes a starter, then the grad transfer can back up. Easier said than done.

Absolutely. That’s the rationale I am coming from. Makes perfect sense this late in the process.

As speculated a few weeks ago, I wonder if there is still a qualification question with Stroud and he is playing AAU to keep his visibility up while they wait for that to get situated? If he doesn’t get cleared, then the extra visibility can only help him gain other options if he chooses not to go the prop 48 route? At least that might be one possible explanation for why he is still playing AAU? The fact that his visit to UTEP wasn’t an official visit also plays into the theory that there might be something non-conventional about his eligibility status.
NCAA allowed UTEP only 8 visits, so you may be on to something. Look, verbal commits are like seeing Jesus or Mary in the toast. Some may think it's the real thing, others say it hog wash, but in reality you don't know until facts bear out and that's a signed LOI; and even with an LOI, Miner fans are "I'll wait until they are in uniform and on the court for the first game" given what Floyd has put us through. CRT has a great reputation and ran a clean program at Fresno (cleaned it up according to some news sources) so we trust the commits as of this point in history. But just because the car salesman lets you take the car home to show off to the spouse doesn't mean your car loan was approved.

Stroud reclassified to 2018. He may need some further classes this summer. Not sure why he would reclassify just to sit out a year though. Either way I hope he makes it here, but we sure do need him now. We are still only at 8 players for 2018 (including Stroud).

Stroud reclassified to 2018. He may need some further classes this summer. Not sure why he would reclassify just to sit out a year though. Either way I hope he makes it here, but we sure do need him now. We are still only at 8 players for 2018 (including Stroud).

Good point. Doesn’t make much sense.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
I've thought about Kelvin Jones too, but didn't want to say it because of how he left and the bad timing, etc... The kid had a lot of potential and would have been the starter in waiting. Then again we may not have gotten Eze. Who knows.
Kelvin Jones might be better than nothing, but only barely. The way he left us so mysteriously was downright unforgivable
and the level of his performance at Odessa College was about 50 degrees south of crappy. I think he averaged something like 1.7 PPG.
As far as I'm concerned he showed his true colors. His father is his agent. Would need to deal with him. He's probably set up to go to Duke or Kentucky.

Hell no to Kelvin Jones and it’s not because of how he left us. He is a major work in progress with only 2 years of eligibility remaining...he is a waste of a scholarship and would be a complete non factor next season. I would rather save the scholarship until next season and find a much better player.

Reactions: El Paso 1
When Floyd signed Kelvin Jones it was the beginning of the end for me and I quickly became a non-believer in Floyd. I had seen Jones play in HS vs Gadsden and Carlsbad and thought he was garbage.

That was the most disappointing aspect of the Floyd era is it seemed like he no longer had an eye for talent. So many recruits didn’t look good at all. St. Pierre, Silva, Stallworth, Jones, Brown, etc... multiple recruits who just didn’t look the part.

But looks like Terry knows what a college basketball player looks like.

Kelvin Jones never got his chance to shine here. He was just as impressive as ex-Miner great Nate Nixon. If those 2 would have stayed for their senior seasons, all conference I tell you.

UTEP actually gave him what he wanted come back to Texas and a budget to go out and recruit. What
else could he asked for. He is also getting over 700K. He knows that if he does good the big boys
from Texas will be knocking the door the way they did BG.

Go Miners...
I agree, just saying Fresno didn't give up on him, that's not why we got him.

And he had more made 3's than anybody on our squad last year (and shot .365 from the floor, .365 from 3-point land and .83 from the line).

He was the 2nd leading scorer on his team, but 6th in minutes played.

That's strange, maybe due to depth? His team had 10 players getting at least 11 minutes per game on average.

He also did not play in 3 games in a 4 game stretch. I wonder if is was injury or something else

Either way I'm glad to have him

When Floyd signed Kelvin Jones it was the beginning of the end for me and I quickly became a non-believer in Floyd. I had seen Jones play in HS vs Gadsden and Carlsbad and thought he was garbage.

That was the most disappointing aspect of the Floyd era is it seemed like he no longer had an eye for talent. So many recruits didn’t look good at all. St. Pierre, Silva, Stallworth, Jones, Brown, etc... multiple recruits who just didn’t look the part.

But looks like Terry knows what a college basketball player looks like.
Not sure I agree with the 1st part. I never saw him play in high school, but I did at UTEP. He had enforcer potential written all over him. Maybe not as much as Ezeagu, but he had it. 6'11" guys that can jump don't fall off trees. I'm not sure what happened to him in JC, but he had some nice plays as a freshman, and I was not happy when he left last year.

I agree with your second and third paragraph, but I never thought K.Jones fell into that category. I beleive his year at JC has he and his father regreting their decision (especially since they see what is going on at UTEP now). Shoot, maybe they don't even care.

When do we hear about the Fresno Transfer? Also what about that guy was thinking of NBA that went to Fresno State.

When do we hear about the Fresno Transfer? Also what about that guy was thinking of NBA that went to Fresno State.
Hope we hear about Bryson Williams soon!

Tomorrow is the deadline for retaining college eligibility. There are about 10 big time players still undecided.

Well I guess so much for that. Oregon's facilities are second to none. Terry will be hard pressed to pull this off.

I think you may be right. It’s also worth noting that there was some talk of Williams leaving Fresno St way before CRT to UTEP was even in the womb.

“Apparently” Williams projects as a 3 in the NBA but was used by Terry as a 4. Wanted to go somewhere his preference would be honored so he could develop. Just what I read on some FSU forum, FWIW.

Two questions regarding guys who have claimed inside info:

1.). Who is the PF that Angel Luna tweeted about here. He certainly was not talking about Ezeagu(a Center, not a PF)and this was not about Efe(PF), as this tweet was long after Efe signed. So who is the PF?:

2.). So the reliable source stated that Williams would be committing before leaving?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT