ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

I think the reality is that our chances went way down when Williams did not sign during his visit. Hopefully Terry can work some magic, but it will be an uphill climb.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Two questions regarding guys who have claimed inside info:

1.). Who is the PF that Angel Luna tweeted about here. He certainly was not talking about Ezeagu(a Center, not a PF)and this was not about Efe(PF), as this tweet was long after Efe signed. So who is the PF?:

2.). So the reliable source stated that Williams would be committing before leaving?

I think he was talking about Ezeagu.

https://247sports.com/player/kaosi-ezeagu-46048753

Reactions: axingfools1
The way I see it is that this is now two under recruited players Terry has found that could play for any of the major programs in the nation. Our time will come soon. Terry seems to be a good scout of talent. They might already be on the team (Eze & Stroud).

I'm happy so far with Terry's progress. I don't think any of us thought that he would literally land 100% of his recruits. He has been close with one official left. If Williams goes elsewhere then good luck to him. If there is concern about his position, then he needs to go where he thinks he can show his skills for the next level. I haven't seen enough of him/video to have an accurate opinion, but he seems more like a Vince Hunter than a Paul George. I'm just not sure how well he shoots or handles the ball.

Two things to consider:
1) A place like Oregon is recruiting 5-star players, and they will continue, even at his position, whether they sign him or not. Just look at Jeremy Combs now tranferring out of LSU or Bernard Obi transferring out of Duke last season. They were basically out-recruited. Aside from UTEP (where he would be a star), Williams would be better off at a place like Gonzaga or a 'not so powerful' power 5 team/mid-major where he can be more of a centerpeice. Just my thoughts. He doesn't want transfer and sit on the bench.

2) There have been many players that come into CUSA to revitalize or continue their careers like Nick King, JaCorey Williams and Derrick Caracter. Granted, most of these guys wanted more playing time or were cast off from power 5 schools (unlike Williams), but they all did great in CUSA.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I'm happy so far with Terry's progress. I don't think any of us thought that he would literally land 100% of his recruits. He has been close with one official left. If Williams goes elsewhere then good luck to him. If there is concern about his position, then he needs to go where he thinks he can show his skills for the next level. I haven't seen enough of him/video to have an accurate opinion, but he seems more like a Vince Hunter than a Paul George. I'm just not sure how well he shoots or handles the ball.

Two things to consider:
1) A place like Oregon is recruiting 5-star players, and they will continue, even at his position, whether they sign him or not. Just look at Jeremy Combs now tranferring out of LSU or Bernard Obi transferring out of Duke last season. They were basically out-recruited. Aside from UTEP (where he would be a star), Williams would be better off at a place like Gonzaga or a 'not so powerful' power 5 team/mid-major where he can be more of a centerpeice. Just my thoughts. He doesn't want transfer and sit on the bench.

2) There have been many players that come into CUSA to revitalize or continue their careers like Nick King, JaCorey Williams and Derrick Caracter. Granted, most of these guys wanted more playing time or were cast off from power 5 schools (unlike Williams), but they all did great in CUSA.
Interesting note on Combs, I saw he has major ankle issues. That may be a reason for his transfer. He was definitely solid when he was at UNT. At a minimum, I would think Terry needs to bring in 2-3 depth guys for next year. Perhaps some Euro guys? Of course, this was the case with or without Williams.

Just did a little checking on the Juco transfer list and looked at the highest rated players not signed yet. Well, all but one of these have signed in the meantime:
Mohamed Thiam 6-9 204 from Thailand
Signed LOI with NMSU
Ivan Aurrecoehea 6-8 240 Madrid
Signed LOI with NMSU
Antun Marlcevic 6-10 234 Zagreb Croatia
Signed LOI with South Florida
Nick Marshall 6-11 248 USA
Can't find where he's signed
Andres Ibarguen 6-7 230 Columbia
Signed with UTArlington

Unless RT can pull a ghost rabbit out of a miracle hat; things look pretty bleak for added inside help. He may have magic up his sleeve. It ain't over till the fat lady sings. I noticed that all the above late signees are foreign.

I wonder what will happen with Teddy Ochieng? He is listed as a 3 star PF, although at 180 pounds he likely isn't a true PF. At this point, I can't see that he signed anywhere.

CRT said that he was familiar with Ochieng previously, would it be completely unrealistic for Ochieng and UTEP to possibly be linked again?

I wonder what will happen with Teddy Ochieng? He is listed as a 3 star PF, although at 180 pounds he likely isn't a true PF. At this point, I can't see that he signed anywhere.

CRT said that he was familiar with Ochieng previously, would it be completely unrealistic for Ochieng and UTEP to possibly be linked again?

So our 3 former Floyd UTEP signees ended up signing with Seattle U, and 2 to Cal State Northridge.

By comparison 3 of Terry's former Fresno State signees have been pursued by UTEP(Efe), Oklahoma State(Isaac), and Oregon(Williams).

If the level of schools interested in former signees after being released is any indication, then it looks like Coach Terry's recruiting is going to be a major step up compared to what we were getting with Floyd.

So our 3 former Floyd UTEP signees ended up signing with Seattle U, and 2 to Cal State Northridge.

By comparison 3 of Terry's former Fresno State signees have been pursued by UTEP(Efe), Oklahoma State(Isaac), and Oregon(Williams).

If the level of schools interested in former signees after being released is any indication, then it looks like Coach Terry's recruiting is going to be a major step up compared to what we were getting with Floyd.

You don’t say? All the “negative trolls” were saying Floyd sucked for years. Guess they’re not as dumb or troll like in the first place.

Reactions: El Paso 1
You don’t say? All the “negative trolls” were saying Floyd sucked for years. Guess they’re not as dumb or troll like in the first place.
Yeah, you are as dumb as "we" say and still are a troll.

Come and bitch when we do stupid crap. Complain when you think the coach should be fired. Talk trash when the prayers suck. I get it. Fans do that. But they also get excited at hopes of new recruits, get pumped about the new direction, pray for a winning season for a change, and are overly optimistic MOST of the time.

Of course you KNOW all this because you are a troll.

Reactions: miner1liner
Yeah, you are as dumb as "we" say and still are a troll.

Come and bitch when we do stupid crap. Complain when you think the coach should be fired. Talk trash when the prayers suck. I get it. Fans do that. But they also get excited at hopes of new recruits, get pumped about the new direction, pray for a winning season for a change, and are overly optimistic MOST of the time.

Of course you KNOW all this because you are a troll.
My only question is how have they (shovel and ep1) been saying it for years if they haven’t even been on here for one year. Unless of course.... naw never mind we know neither will ever be man enough to admit it.

My only question is how have they (shovel and ep1) been saying it for years if they haven’t even been on here for one year. Unless of course.... naw never mind we know neither will ever be man enough to admit it.

Re-read my post, I never said “we”. I said “negative trolls”. It’s possible to just lurk here and not post. I remember a “Epsilon3000” or something like that posting here. He was a “negative troll” too. Let’s de-rail the thread though, like you always do.

With unknown sources all you can really get is a sense...Its never a for sure thing. Mike just posted information that we would be interested in. It cant all be balloons and lollipops...He posted what he could in hopes of a better outcome.

With unknown sources all you can really get is a sense...Its never a for sure thing. Mike just posted information that we would be interested in. It cant all be balloons and lollipops...He posted what he could in hopes of a better outcome.
Mike? Who's Mike? Did I miss something here?

mikesarabia - as jcorona mentioned, he’s a forum member... who had been on a nice roll in regards to forecasting several of the signings. Hopefully he ends up getting the Bryson Williams call correct to.
Ahhhhhhhh. Thanks for the intel.

Ahhhhhhhh. Thanks for the intel.
This site used to have the best basketball fan minds in the business over the years. They still follow, defected to Kyyote's Den, or just got fed up with the bickering and left. It was fanatical after year two of the Billy era. There were breakdowns of performances and such. Who was coming in and who was going out with minute by minute updates. Now those fans were not Kentucky blue blood crazy and figured out which flight Billy was on (that really happened. A Kentucky fan got hold on the private jet Billy was flying on into Lexington and post the online flight path), but analysis was the norm. Now UTEP just has MR.com who provides that, however you can tell that it's a program that spits out the numbers provided to MR. IMO, nothing beats butts in the seats intel and some fans on here used to do that, practice by practice at times.

All kyyote dens did was take topics from here and put it there. Then everybody just agreed with each over there that there was nothing to talk about and then it shut down. You need disagreements and debates to keep a message board alive.

All kyyote dens did was take topics from here and put it there. Then everybody just agreed with each over there that there was nothing to talk about and then it shut down. You need disagreements and debates to keep a message board alive.
I agree. I miss the old ESPN comment section before the Facebook switch. Back then we were actually kind of good and used to have some amazing debates with various CUSA schools. I don’t know if anyone on here remembers that one weird Memphis fan. That dude was crazy he had like seven different screen names. And would have conversations with himself. Those were some good times. I like the CUSA board but as a Miner fan there hasn’t been much for us to discuss. Once we start winning it might change.

Is it possible that when Fresno St. release Williams they put in a stipulation that if he went to UTEP then he would have to sit two years?

Are you sure? It is a common practice to release players but not allow them to sign with a school in the conference or follow a coach unless the players sits for two years. I haven't seen anything about this but it might explain why he didn't sign right away.

Are you sure? It is a common practice to release players but not allow them to sign with a school in the conference or follow a coach unless the players sits for two years. I haven't seen anything about this but it might explain why he didn't sign right away.

To be honest, I’m not sure. However, I have never heard of a player having to sit 2 years except in the circumstance you described...an intraconference transfer.

I can’t imagine Bryson Williams would have even considered UTEP if that was a stipulation. Don’t think he’d have wasted one of his officials. Nor do I think Terry would have wasted one of only 8 officials he could give. Just my rationale for saying “nope”.

Last edited:
To be honest, I’m not sure. However, I have never heard of a player having to sit 2 years except in the circumstance you described...an intraconference transfer.

I can’t imagine Bryson Williams would have even considered UTEP if that was a stipulation. Don’t think he’d have wasted one of his officials. Nor do I think Terry would have wasted one of only 8 officials he could give. Just my rationale for saying “nope”.
Initially there was talk that Fresno would restrict Williams transfer, however, they did not end up doing that. As far as I am aware, he would only need to sit for the one year.

Initially there was talk that Fresno would restrict Williams transfer, however, they did not end up doing that. As far as I am aware, he would only need to sit for the one year.

Yep. That’s the impression I’m under, as well.

There was a restriction but it was only to MWC schools...at least from what I read.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Oregon is stealing our dream 2019-2020 season Noooooo! Lol well Terry has done well so far, if we in fact lose him to Oregon so be it. Terry still needs a Big for this year to help the Freshman and Paul Thomas and he has a whole year to get a post player for next year, we'll be ok. We're in good I hands I believe or at least from what we've seen with his recruiting abilities.

Oregon is stealing our dream 2019-2020 season Noooooo! Lol well Terry has done well so far, if we in fact lose him to Oregon so be it. Terry still needs a Big for this year to help the Freshman and Paul Thomas and he has a whole year to get a post player for next year, we'll be ok. We're in good I hands I believe or at least from what we've seen with his recruiting abilities.
Agree 100%, but getting Williams would be awesome. He will excel BIG time in CUSA.

So I looked into Oregon’s roster a bit. 4 of their top 7 contributors are forwards, 6’7” or taller. Two of those guys will still be there when Bryson Williams is eligible. There are two more young forwards who logged significant minutes but appear to be waiting in the wings for a couple guys to graduate. On top of that, Oregon signed a 5* forward and a 4* forward in its 2018 class.

If BW is confident enough to walk into a situation like that, more power to him. Or he could come to UTEP and play immediately upon meeting his eligibility requirements. I’m having doubts about whether we’re out of the race to get him now.

So I looked into Oregon’s roster a bit. 4 of their top 7 contributors are forwards, 6’7” or taller. Two of those guys will still be there when Bryson Williams is eligible. There are two more young forwards who logged significant minutes but appear to be waiting in the wings for a couple guys to graduate. On top of that, Oregon signed a 5* forward and a 4* forward in its 2018 class.

If BW is confident enough to walk into a situation like that, more power to him. Or he could come to UTEP and play immediately upon meeting his eligibility requirements. I’m having doubts about whether we’re out of the race to get him now.
Hope So

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT