ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

Zarzuela looks like a man already.
He can take it to the basket, shows good confidence; however, CUSA players will be much stronger and bigger. Gilyard had great upper body strength to compete immediately at this level during his freshman year.

OK...math majors:
Roster on website now. 18
Subtract players sitting out one year . -5
Eligible for 2018 =13
Subtract Thomas from 2/19 . -1
=12
Add back the 5 sitter-outers . +5
=17
Add Wentzel, Villa and Zarzuela. +3
Eligible for 2019 . =20
We got five teams. We can have our own exclusive conference.

For next year, minus Thomas, there would be 11 scholarship players. If Wenzel and Zarzuela sign early, as expected, the team would be at max capacity (13) for next year. If another player is signed, then someone would need to leave.

For next year, minus Thomas, there would be 11 scholarship players. If Wenzel and Zarzuela sign early, as expected, the team would be at max capacity (13) for next year. If another player is signed, then someone would need to leave.
You are correcr sir, so if you add the six walkons (Sullivan, Dill, Rhyanes, Dekoninck, Averitt and Campbell) plus Villa you are at twenty (20).
I think this a comical situation. Remember everyone trashed Floyd for over signing? This isn't necessarily over signing, but there's a potential for 20 players.

I've been trying to say this for a while. We have no scholarships for essentially three years. I'm ok with what we have now, but things will be changing I guess. CRT is already over-recruiting. I also hope the cupboard is not empty when he leaves.

I've been trying to say this for a while. We have no scholarships for essentially three years. I'm ok with what we have now, but things will be changing I guess. CRT is already over-recruiting. I also hope the cupboard is not empty when he leaves.

CRT’s classes are at least a bit more staggered. Barbee had like 8-9 kids from the same class. However we lost Caracter and Moultrie even sooner so it was like losing 10-11 at one time. That’s what killed us.

That fell on Barbee, not Floyd. That Tim couldn’t regroup after 4 years and was still blaming the bare cupboard 7 years later...that was on CTF.

CRT’s classes are at least a bit more staggered. Barbee had like 8-9 kids from the same class. However we lost Caracter and Moultrie even sooner so it was like losing 10-11 at one time. That’s what killed us.

That fell on Barbee, not Floyd. That Tim couldn’t regroup after 4 years and was still blaming the bare cupboard 7 years later...that was on CTF.
I hear ya coog, but who will be our freshman and sophmores in 20-21'? Right now CRT is loaded up for a quick turnaround. I know most of you may not really care about this, but I'm just looking out for the program. I don't want to be starting over in 4 years again.

I hear ya coog, but who will be our freshman and sophmores in 20-21'? Right now CRT is loaded up for a quick turnaround. I know most of you may not really care about this, but I'm just looking out for the program. I don't want to be starting over in 4 years again.

I get where you’re coming from, and it is a legit concern. First, I think that there will be some attrition, opening up a few slots along the way. We may have a very thin Freshman class for a year (20-21), however if things go right, we could be back on the map so to speak which could bolster recruiting the following year bringing in a strong freshman class. It’s all speculation right now, but I think things will fall into place as we move along the next couple years. I just can’t see hanging on to everyone who is committed at this time. Overly optimistic? Perhaps.

Your points are well taken axingfools1. I do think Terry has loaded up for next year, and hopefully an even bigger year after that. He did get the two HS guards for next year (assuming they sign), so that can be viewed as a move to build for the future. I do think that if Terry is able to pick up a guy that can improve the team, he will find a spot for him. Plus, a lot can change from year to year, as some players may choose to leave for playing somewhere else, etc. For me, if we are able to make the NCAA tourney in the next three years, I could live with a bit of a rebuild.

Your points are well taken axingfools1. I do think Terry has loaded up for next year, and hopefully an even bigger year after that. He did get the two HS guards for next year (assuming they sign), so that can be viewed as a move to build for the future. I do think that if Terry is able to pick up a guy that can improve the team, he will find a spot for him. Plus, a lot can change from year to year, as some players may choose to leave for playing somewhere else, etc. For me, if we are able to make the NCAA tourney in the next three years, I could live with a bit of a rebuild.
Hope we aren't counting our chickens. On the surface it could be a little suspicious the way he's loading up, but wow what a load! As it's already been pointed out; there will never be another Haskins who is content to make this his dream job, so guess we have to live with that If our chickens do hatch in the next couple of years it'll be a fun ride. In the meantime maybe this year's guys can provide some entertainment.

I was heartbroken when Gillispie left, shocked that Sadler left (felt like settled on a girl who ended up leaving us anyway), was kind of expecting Barbee to leave, and offended at Floyd's attempts to leave.

Now, I think I'm prepared. Every coach sees this a resume builder and a stepping stone. That's okay. Go ahead, have amazing success, and good luck when you take over an SEC or Big 12 team in 3 years.

Reactions: axingfools1
I was heartbroken when Gillispie left, shocked that Sadler left (felt like settled on a girl who ended up leaving us anyway), was kind of expecting Barbee to leave, and offended at Floyd's attempts to leave.

Now, I think I'm prepared. Every coach sees this a resume builder and a stepping stone. That's okay. Go ahead, have amazing success, and good luck when you take over an SEC or Big 12 team in 3 years.
As long as we can keep the program on a high. I know there will be up and down years, but the upward trajectory if what I'm hoping for.

Reactions: minermx07
I am perfectly ok with Terry leaving because it means we went to an NCAA Tourney and the program was turned around. We are paying 750k for our head coach now, so that amount is going to attract some damn good coaching candidates to keep it going in the right direction.

So now we have every position and every need covered. Im feeling good about what's to come in the next few years.

Terry might go all out and try to get Jalen Green for 20-21! That could be the year we go deep and he could be the guy to take us farther than we could ever imagine. Either way we are going to be good.

In the radio broadcast tonight, Teicher said that Terry is still hoping to sign one more player during the early signing period. We are already at capacity when counting the two new signee’s, so there will need to be some movement to make room for another player.

Reactions: minerfan_14

As rail thin as this guy is, he is a good get for the Miners. He is smooth and polished on the offensive end. Really like that he can stretch the defense with his ability to knock down the 3, and can also take it to the hoop off the dribble if the opportunity presents itself.

And there’s the stretch 4 you were hoping for, Lil Train. Ask and you shall receive.

Last edited:
Reactions: topminer
As rail thin as this guy is, he is a good get for the Miners. He is smooth and polished on the offensive end. Really like that he can stretch the defense with his ability to knock down the 3, and can also take it to the hoop off the dribble if the opportunity presents itself.

And there’s the stretch 4 you were hoping for, Lil Train. Ask and you shall receive.
Yes sir..I had heard Vila was a possibility. I wouldn't be shocked if there were a late signing or two as well, depending on how things develop.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Well I guess we can start speculating about who will be out. They are ALL CRT players except Gilyard and McGee. PT will be gone. If he signs another player or two I would be concerned. We are 2 deep at every position and then some next year if everybody stays/qualifies.

Yes sir..I had heard Vila was a possibility. I wouldn't be shocked if there were a late signing or two as well, depending on how things develop.
Looked some more and discovered he's now at Northwestern JC in Florida and he has teammate named Chris Duarte who is the real stud averaging over 20ppg and headed to Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT