ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry makes 1st UTEP offer / Basketball Recruiting

These guys seem perfect. Good size. Under the radar for now, but the P5 schools start coming after those guys around this time. I think they're coming with the understanding that they'll be backups until Gilyard and Mcgee graduate.

So unless somebody leaves or declares or is replaced, we are pretty much set for the next 3 years with this team. I seriously doubt it, but It is possible that we don't sign another recruit until two years from now. There will be no seniors on the 2019 team and our allotment is full. I think Terry will shoot for the conference championship and the NCAA tournament pretty quick.

Now if somebody like Jalen Green is interested in UTEP, then I'm sure CRT will make it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: topminer
So unless somebody leaves or declares or is replaced, we are pretty much set for the next 3 years with this team. I seriously doubt it, but It is possible that we don't sign another recruit until two years from now. There will be no seniors on the 2019 team and our allotment is full. I think Terry will shoot for the conference championship and the NCAA tournament pretty quick.

Now if somebody like Jalen Green is interested in UTEP, then I'm sure CRT will make it work.

There will be some red shirts. You can't stop recruiting. It will be a dog fight to be
the starter in 2019 and 2020.

Go Miners...

Is this kid another walkon?

Must be, but not absolutely sure. Has played his hs ball in a small community outside SA but also plays for the same AAU team as another of our commits, Brendan Wenzel. Not much out there on him, but in a vid clip it’s shows he’s got some hops. Also read a rivals write up about him being extremely active around the basket and that he rebounds well.

Reactions: axingfools1
Must be, but not absolutely sure. Has played his hs ball in a small community outside SA but also plays for the same AAU team as another of our commits, Brendan Wenzel. Not much out there on him, but in a vid clip it’s shows he’s got some hops. Also read a rivals write up about him being extremely active around the basket and that he rebounds well.
He looks like he could be anywhere between 6-6 and 6-8. Couldn't find anything except tons of videos.

He looks like he could be anywhere between 6-6 and 6-8. Couldn't find anything except tons of videos.

I read either on MaxPreps or his AAU team page that he is 6’ 6”, but I think it was as of a year ago. He’s gotta still he growing at only 16-17 years old.

I think Coach Terry might single handedly be responsible for UTEP’s record high enrollment.

Coach Terry appears to be the exact opposite of Floyd, as Floyd would usually be losing a player or two at this time, while Coach Terry just keeps adding.

Is terry going to have 2 teams??

Maybe the players who don’t make the team can play for Baker.

juwanna-mann-movie-still-vivica-a-fox-and-miguel-a-nunez-jr_1110203-305x400.jpeg

I am telling you the next couple of years is going to be a dog fight
to be the starters. The only problem that I see is that if Coach
Terry takes us to the big dance in the 20-21 year other schools
will be knocking on Coach Terry's door.

Go Miners...

Reactions: EPTUTEP

Go Miners...
That's not a problem if that happens it means we are winning. I'll take it.

Go Miners...
Like Develman said I'll take it too. It has been a brutal 8 years under Floyd and it is worth it. Plus if Terry leaves , we will have some top notch up and coming assistant coaches applying for the job with a stacked NCAA Tourney roster and 750k base pay.
Plus I think Terry wants to stay in the state of Texas and we only really have to worry if the UT or A$M job opens up. Maybe Houston (lateral move but he is from there and has family there). Of course he will leave if a top BB school like Duke, UNC come calling , but I don't think that is very likely to happen. The 750k base pay will make him a bit more selective in his next job, but like I said, he has his eyes on UT or A$M.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
So is it just me, or is anybody else concerned that our MBB scholarships are locked up for the next 3 seasons. Of course players can turnover for whatever reason, but let's just theorize that things play out the same as they are now. CRT has a plan.

We are all expecting CRT to have better teams in 19-20' and 20-21'. How good they can be is obviously yet to be seen. We know that Terry is staying close to a 5-star player for 20-21' (whether its for UTEP or another school). We are also all expecting CRT to move on eventually, depending on how well he does. This could be anywhere from 2-5 years, but I'm thinking his goal is 3 seasons.

So let's say best case scenerio that CRT blows up the miners and we win CUSA and make the NCAA in 20' and 21'. He gets some big games and creates sellouts. Everything is going the way we want and then he moves on and leaves the cupboard bare for another rebuild, only 4 years from now.

I know this is all conjecture and things can end up totally different, but my concern is the long-term upward trajectory of the miner's MBB program. Are those opportunities gone for us? Are we just a springboard from here on out, or is there a chance that we can maintain at the top of CUSA? What do you all think?

I would like to hope that Coach Terry might have an assistant or two on his staff that might be solid candidates to take over and continue the momentum as presented in the scenario presented above.

For instance, Lamont Smith has good assistant coaching experience(Washington, Arizona State, UNM) and he showed 3 consecutive years of improvement as a head coach at San Diego before losing that job due to an off the court issue. After two or three successful years here, he could be ready to get another Head Coaching chance.

The one thing that Senter has shown with his hires, is that he likes experienced coaches who already have head coaching experience. So maybe Senter goes out and finds another quality coach like: Rodney Terry, Dana Dimel, Mike Houston, etc., as he has done in the past.

Reactions: axingfools1
So is it just me, or is anybody else concerned that our MBB scholarships are locked up for the next 3 seasons. Of course players can turnover for whatever reason, but let's just theorize that things play out the same as they are now. CRT has a plan.

We are all expecting CRT to have better teams in 19-20' and 20-21'. How good they can be is obviously yet to be seen. We know that Terry is staying close to a 5-star player for 20-21' (whether its for UTEP or another school). We are also all expecting CRT to move on eventually, depending on how well he does. This could be anywhere from 2-5 years, but I'm thinking his goal is 3 seasons.

So let's say best case scenerio that CRT blows up the miners and we win CUSA and make the NCAA in 20' and 21'. He gets some big games and creates sellouts. Everything is going the way we want and then he moves on and leaves the cupboard bare for another rebuild, only 4 years from now.

I know this is all conjecture and things can end up totally different, but my concern is the long-term upward trajectory of the miner's MBB program. Are those opportunities gone for us? Are we just a springboard from here on out, or is there a chance that we can maintain at the top of CUSA? What do you all think?
No

Aside from Don Haskins, and probably Tim Floyd, every other coach has or has planned to use UTEP as a stepping stone. Haskins seemed too comfortable for his own good, and Floyd tried to leave (according to rumors) and by the end he probably realized he would be an idiot to leave given the job security with his boy Stull.

Aside from Don Haskins, and probably Tim Floyd, every other coach has or has planned to use UTEP as a stepping stone. Haskins seemed too comfortable for his own good, and Floyd tried to leave (according to rumors) and by the end he probably realized he would be an idiot to leave given the job security with his boy Stull.
Yes I agree, but are we ok with a rebuild every 4-5 years, or do you want us to be able to maintain? Barbee had us set up to explode but then Floyd let us fall back down. I know first things first, but I'm a little concerned that CRT used up all his scholarships so quick. Lets just hope that 3-4 years from now CRT has us rolling and Senter can build on the momentum when coach leaves. Just remember how hard that will be though if the cupboard is bare.

Last edited:
Yes I agree, but are we ok with a rebuild every 4-5 years, or do you want us to be able to maintain? Barbee had us set up to explode but then Floyd let us fall back down. I know first things first, but I'm a little concerned that CRT used up all his scholarships so quick. Lets just hope that 3-4 years from now CRT has us rolling and Senter can build on the momentum when coach leaves. Just remember how hard that will be though if the cupboard is bare.

Again this is all speculative, and it really means absolutely nothing right now. But I would think you promote from within if you are looking for continuity. Problem with that is that assistant capable of running the ship like Terry? Plus you may overlook outside candidates solely on the fact that they want to overhaul the system. So you can make the argument both ways in this “inside hire/outside hire” argument. In the end we will have to trust Senter.

On the scholarship side, everyone better be prepared for attrition. Just accept it now and get it through your system. No way in hell is Terry going to sit back, kick his feet up and say he’s done recruiting for the next 3-4 years. Players are going to leave.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I think Terry is here for at least 3 more seasons. Reason is cause of Bryson williams. Terry had him transfer over here. It would be messed up if he left him. Not only him but all the other transfers. Tarke and Williams picked utep over high majors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT