ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations (bball)

USAFminersfan

MI Regular
Nov 8, 2008
This year looks to be an improvement in guard play, which is something we haven't seen since Stone left. That, by most opinion, is what kept us from doing great things last year.

This year, however, we have a new weakness. The loss of Willms is bigger than most want to admit. Having an experienced big man is crucial in this college landscape. As of now we have no proven rebounders, shot blockers, or inside offensive threats.

We have a lot of potential talent coming in, but I think many have fooled themselves into believing that will be our saving grace. Big kids take time to develop because they're typically still growing into their bodies and don't have the experience of playing against other big men on a regular basis. Most big's don't make a large impact until they're Juniors (or at least the one's UTEP can recruit).

I think we'll win plenty of games based on our schedule, but I by no means think this will be our breakout year. Even with the soft schedule, I think we're going to have plenty of threads (after a loss) condemning our ability to rebound against more physical teams.

I predict a season similar to last years. We'll win our share, but lose more than many fans expect. I'm thinking we'll finish around 3rd place again in conference. If we do win the tournament and go to the NCAA, we'll assuredly be exposed underneath the basket by the better teams in the country.

Call me pessimistic, but I just don't have confidence in a group of new and unproven inside kids, who are under the leadership of our most experienced inside guy -- Hooper Vint

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Disagree. Young talent is impossible to judge until they have played under the lights. Talented freshman and sophomores are trending very impact-fully nationwide. The days of "we're too young are gone. To pass judgement on a young team is premature. That said, having a loaded backcourt and a young but talented frontcourt bodes well for the long term during this coming season.

I think young talent can be positive as well, just less so with big men. The only bigs who typically do well early are the very elite in their respective class.

When these young kids play against guys who've had more time to develop and grow, it will show. Again, they'll likely need time to grow into their bodies still.

VH was an exception though. That kid probably had a man's body by age 14.

I actually expect more wins than last year... And i expect Wynn Thomas and jones to really step up with some stellar guard play from Moore and artis and not to mention this team I think is finally deep at the guard position..... And how could I forget morris?

Speaking of that I Haven't looked around at all this year... are we after any big time players for 2016?

2 expectations for this season
#1 Make the NCAA Tourney. 6 years is plenty of time. No excuses.
#2 No NCAA Tourney then I expect for Floyd's resignation letter to be submitted.

I can understand where USAF is coming from, but I do expect this young men to do better than the previous recruiting
classes. I honestly do think we have a good chance to make it to the NCAA tourney.

Go Miners...

2 expectations for this season
#1 Make the NCAA Tourney. 6 years is plenty of time. No excuses.
#2 No NCAA Tourney then I expect for Floyd's resignation letter to be submitted.

Yes ma'am, Dr. Natalicio.

Was talking with an ex Miner player that has seen some of them play this summer and he tells me that these guys can flat out shoot and appear to play well. However, he also told me that you need to wait to see how they play when the lights are on.

20-11 losing in the first round of the CBI or whatever that third rate post season tournament is called .

I have been reading hoop posts for a couple of months and biting my tongue in disbelief at some of the negativity thrown at Floyd and the program. Most of you seasoned hoop junkies posting on digs over the years know that I have been an avid fan and booster since the early glory years. It has been a long road with the program ups and down, but remained an avid hoops fan, especially this coming season. My expectations are very high. Floyd and his staff have recruited one of the finest classes in a very long time. Despite losing Wilms and Omega, this class includes excellent guards that will improve floor play and light up the score board. Expect to see an NBA Warriors type of offensive strategy with their improved outside shooting, along with the the long and talented bodies that the staff has recruited. Looking forward to a very successful season.

I think this team is going to bond well and having a softer pre-conference schedule will help them to gain some team unity and confidence. By Mid December hopefully they get back O Harris and keep it rolling.

GO MINERS

This team is going to win alot of games, around 24.

However, because of a couple bad losses and no quality wins, they will not be in the Big Dance. They will be a 6-7 seed in the NIT and travel.

You naysayers! You guys have no optimism! Where is your UTEP colors???? At this time of the year, the football team is going 10-3 and bball team undefeated! :D:D

Of course reality sets in very quickly.. :(:p

I have been reading hoop posts for a couple of months and biting my tongue in disbelief at some of the negativity thrown at Floyd and the program. Most of you seasoned hoop junkies posting on digs over the years know that I have been an avid fan and booster since the early glory years. It has been a long road with the program ups and down, but remained an avid hoops fan, especially this coming season. My expectations are very high. Floyd and his staff have recruited one of the finest classes in a very long time. Despite losing Wilms and Omega, this class includes excellent guards that will improve floor play and light up the score board. Expect to see an NBA Warriors type of offensive strategy with their improved outside shooting, along with the the long and talented bodies that the staff has recruited. Looking forward to a very successful season.

So is UTEP going to the Big Dance this season?

It's not about the other teams it's how they play together... I have never seen touchet, Thomas, Wynn, Artis, Moore shoot a basketball in a division one game... Have yet to see artis run the team. It's not about who we play it's about how they play....

It's not about the other teams it's how they play together... I have never seen touchet, Thomas, Wynn, Artis, Moore shoot a basketball in a division one game... Have yet to see artis run the team. It's not about who we play it's about how they play....

To me you can't really gauge a team's future performance when they play Florida A&M- who won less than five games last season.

It's like me saying if I can get an A in a class at UTEP then the same applies at Harvard.

Agree!! Sweet Lou, where have you been? We need more posters like you to go up against the naysayers. None of us know how the team will do, but we hope they do well. I support the MBB team 100 percent now and always will

Personally, I expect this team to struggle. With the loss of the Willms for the season, and of Omega for at least the first semester, we will start the year without six of our top seven players from last season. Replacing these huge losses will be Artis (whom, even though he was highly rated out of high school, was mediocre at Oregon), Flaggert, and a bunch of guys who have never played Division 1 basketball. Now there are some teams, for example Kentucky, that can expect to have a stellar season with a team comprised mainly of new comers, but Kentucky stacks it's roster with a boat load of McDonald's All Americans. We don't have that type of recruiting class. I would be shocked if this team finishes above fourth in the conference, and fourth is probably too optimistic.

If this class is able to avoid all of the attrition that has been the norm with Floyd's past recruting classes, they should significantly improve for the 2016-17 sesaon, and be ready to challenge for an NCAA Tourney spot in the 2018 tournament. But thinking that this will be the year they finally make the tournament under Floyd just isn't realistic, and the coaching staff obviously agrees. Just look at next season's schedule for proof.

Totally disagree I think we will challenge for the title again this year but we shall see ....

And to the poster above I want to see these kids shoot the ball if they can shoot it we are going to have a great season...just like when fili and Omar came in I saw them play and it took me one game to say this is going to be a great team

Reactions: winstoneptx
Getting to know these new players, and watching how the coaches develop them and the lineups, provides a new narrative and interesting reason to go to the games.

One of the reasons I like watching basketball more than football is you feel like you really get to know the players -- if you go to the games, that is. So this year, there are lots of new faces and personalities to get to know.

Reactions: mine n for gold
I'm 50/50 about the season. I think it will be another 20+ win season, due to the weak schedule, but we could finish from 1st through 6th in conference. Matt is a Big Loss, and a lot hinges on Vints improvement. Winn is also a wild card and if he can stay healthy he will be a good rebounder and bruiser down low as he plays bigger than his 6'7 frame. Thomas and Jones will need time to develop. Now with all that said, we will be stacked at guards and if Omega gets eligible we will simply be to quick for Conference teams to handle. Here's what I look for:

Starters:
G- E. Morris 6-5
G- L. Moore 6-4
G- D. Artist 6-1
F- T. Winn 6-7
C- H. Vint 6-11

Bench:
G- J. Flaggert 6-6
G- Omega Harris 6-2 (After 1st semester)
G- T. Caldwell 6-3 or T. Touchet 6-2
F- P. Thomas 6-8
F- B. Jones 6-9

I'm 50/50 about the season. I think it will be another 20+ win season, due to the weak schedule, but we could finish from 1st through 6th in conference. Matt is a Big Loss, and a lot hinges on Vints improvement. Winn is also a wild card and if he can stay healthy he will be a good rebounder and bruiser down low as he plays bigger than his 6'7 frame. Thomas and Jones will need time to develop. Now with all that said, we will be stacked at guards and if Omega gets eligible we will simply be to quick for Conference teams to handle. Here's what I look for:

Starters:
G- E. Morris 6-5
G- L. Moore 6-4
G- D. Artist 6-1
F- T. Winn 6-7
C- H. Vint 6-11

Bench:
G- J. Flaggert 6-6
F- P. Thomas 6-8
F- B. Jones 6-9

Starters:
G- E. Morris 6-5
G- L. Moore 6-4
G- D. Artist 6-1
F- T. Winn 6-7
C- H. Vint 6-11

Bench:
G- J. Flaggert 6-6
F- P. Thomas 6-8
F- B. Jones 6-9
You didn't mention Romine and Mc Swiggan. You don't expect anything from them?

Miner Maniac, respect your opinion greatly, but I think you blew it in the assessment of this team. I still think it will be a strong team, despite having a patty cake schedule. Maybe its because I lean heavily to outside shooters, especially those who shot threes. I think this it is a young, but a very strong and exciting team.

Miner Maniac, respect your opinion greatly, but I think you blew it in the assessment of this team. I still think it will be a strong team, despite having a patty cake schedule. Maybe its because I lean heavily to outside shooters, especially those who shot threes. I think this it is a young, but a very strong and exciting team.
Lou,

I respect your opinion as well, and I really hope that you're right, but I just can't see how so many people are so optimistic about this team. My experience is that when you have to replace six of your top seven players, as we will be doing this season, you are in a rebuilding mode, and will struggle in your first year. The most recent example is the 2011-12 team. We were coming off a 26-10 season, but lost our top six players. The next year we went 15-17. I do believe that this class has a chance to be really good, but it will take time for them to develop and gel. I would love to be wrong, but I believe that this team, comprised almost entirely of newcomers, will struggle this season. We'll see.

I think your assessment is about on point, MinerManiac.

We all want to believe our recruiting class is strong enough to overcome our inexperience, but that rarely happens in college bball. As it stands now, we'll have one guy who's played a significant amount of D1 basketball in the last year. As well, we have no experienced big's. I'll eat crow if i'm wrong, but I don't see a bunch of young and inexperienced big kids having success against the stronger post players from other teams.

Even Memphis struggled the year they had the #1 recruiting class. They eventually found their stride, but that class literally had the best players in the nation.

We have a team that could look good in a year or two (assuming we don't lose a bunch during the season and offseason), but this year is rebuilding year...plain and simple. Floyd built our schedule a certain way, because he doesn't want this team to get crushed by quality opponents and cause the team and fan base to lose confidence.

At the very least, it will be fun to see which kids step up and look like future impact players. Gonna be a long and interesting season....

With floyds teams you can always count on a pretty good defense and then you add in what should be better overall scorers/shooters which last years team really really lacked and an upgrade at the point guard spot and that's why I think we are better this year than last year....

Although losing Wilms and Harris will hurt a bit...

I think that a key player is Omega. We needed his experience and quickness
to go with Artis. The schedule looks favorable for the new recruits to gel.
Saying that, I am going to say that we will win at least 23 games.

GO Miners...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT