ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Senter!

My opinion is that Dimel should lose his HC job if he doesn’t win another game this year.

I understand lack of talent and every other excuse made for him. No one is asking him to beat the Boise’s, Central Florida’s, or Alabama’s of the college world. All we ask is to beat fcs teams and other similar terrible FBS programs at home.

By his second year Kugler had purged almost every Price player, brought in two classes of “horrible talent” and beat 9 FBS teams with them.

I know we’re asking too much for an experienced head coach to duplicate half the success a former position coach had.

If you think one win over a just as bad FBS team in a two-year span is good enough progress then you’re the one that doesn’t understand football at this level.

My opinion is that Dimel should lose his HC job if he doesn’t win another game this year.

I understand lack of talent and every other excuse made for him. No one is asking him to beat the Boise’s, Central Florida’s, or Alabama’s of the college world. All we ask is to beat fcs teams and other similar terrible FBS programs at home.

By his second year Kugler had purged almost every Price player, brought in two classes of “horrible talent” and beat 9 FBS teams with them.

I know we’re asking too much for an experienced head coach to duplicate half the success a former position coach had.

If you think one win over a just as bad FBS team in a two-year span is good enough progress then you’re the one that doesn’t understand football at this level.

Agree 100%. CUSA isn’t a good football conference and a person who most here say “sucked” and “ruined the program” went to a bowl game and beat bad CUSA teams and NMSU. Price didn’t leave Kugler with anything either, but he won a few games.

If Dismel can’t beat Rice and NMSU, he should be fired. When is it going to get better? If you can’t win those 2 games, you shouldn’t be coaching.

You don't understand low level d1 college football, if you didn't understand what I said. I didn't agree with the hire, but he had to get at least 3 years, because he's still playing with Kuglers players for the most part. Yes they suck, but how do you fire him half in to second seas

Please find another low level college coach that kept his job after back to back 1-11 seasons, which in this case would be on an 11 game losing streak. Bet you can’t find one!

Reactions: utep-piggy

J Corona, I've been on this board since it's inception. You can have your opinion, that's fine, but to question my College Football knowledge is ridiculous. Apparently you're not understanding what I said. At what point did I ever say I'm ok with the one win against D2 Houston Baptist. Don't put words in my mouth, because you fail to understand the simple logic of what I said! I stated the team is crap, but they won't fire him after year 2. He will get at least 3 years. You're saying we won't win another game when that hasn't happened yet. If we don't beat one of the 3 including NMSU then we'll see at the end of the year. However this post said to Fire Dimel now. My response is to that. I simply said he will be judged more after year 3. Is that now simple enough to comprehend???

Please find another low level college coach that kept his job after back to back 1-11 seasons, which in this case would be on an 11 game losing streak. Bet you can’t find one!
Did you go into the future and see they lost to Rice, NMSU and Charlotte? Wow can you give me my lotto numbers?

Did you go into the future and see they lost to Rice, NMSU and Charlotte? Wow can you give me my lotto numbers?

That’s fair. However, based on the way they are playing, losing to all 3 is definitely a real possibility. Then they will be 1-11 and he won’t be back.

That’s fair. However, based on the way they are playing, losing to all 3 is definitely a real possibility. Then they will be 1-11 and he won’t be back.
If that happens then possibly the 3 year rule should come into question, due to an obvious lack of on the field improvement. Let's see at end of the year. I'm disgusted as well, trust me. Just saying I think k he'll get 3 years at least, because he will get time to clean the cupboard. For the record once again, I do not like the hire. However that doesn't mean he'll get fired after a year in half or 2 years, like people asked for on this thread.

J Corona, I've been on this board since it's inception. You can have your opinion, that's fine, but to question my College Football knowledge is ridiculous. Apparently you're not understanding what I said. At what point did I ever say I'm ok with the one win against D2 Houston Baptist. Don't put words in my mouth, because you fail to understand the simple logic of what I said! I stated the team is crap, but they won't fire him after year 2. He will get at least 3 years. You're saying we won't win another game when that hasn't happened yet. If we don't beat one of the 3 including NMSU then we'll see at the end of the year. However this post said to Fire Dimel now. My response is to that. I simply said he will be judged more after year 3. Is that now simple enough to comprehend???
As difficult as you make your paragraph to read, I understand them. The difference is I don’t agree with them. So you don’t have to dumb it down anymore than it already is.

Anyway, what does length of time on this board have to do with an overall knowledge of college football?

Nobody put any words in your mouth. I said if we don’t win another game this year he should be gone. Anyone that thinks one FBS victory over a two year span is good enough progress to save Dimel’s job doesn’t understand college football.

Last season I saw WKU Fire their second year HC for only taking them to one post season and winning nine games. So yes, even at low level football like CUSA, changes take place early in the process if the decision makers don’t like the direction the program is going with the new coach.

I don’t know what comment you were responding to regarding “Fire Dimel Now” since you didn’t quote anyone and the title of the thread is “Fire Senter.” I only responded to the part you wrote that fans calling for his job “don’t understand college football at this level.”

I’ll say it again IF Dimel doesn’t win another game this season they should fire him.

It doesn’t take a college football expert to conclude that.

IF Dimel is going with the Gary Nord "5 Year Plan" approach, and our QB of the future is redshirting this season along with several other players, and he's building for the long term, then I could be convinced to show a little more patience. Some have speculated that we'll see our QB of the future the last four games since redshirts are allowed to play 4 games and our most winnable games remaining on the schedule are at the end of the season.

I guess we'll know more after those last four games.

Last edited:
I’ve asked this before. I’ll ask it again. If you fire Dimel after this season, you owe him over 2 million dollars to buyout his contract. Who’s paying that? And don’t say UTEP. They don’t have that kind of money.

Does he need all $2,000,000 up front? You can “save” 2milly by keeping him, if you can live with 5,000 fans at your home games and general disinterest from the fans that make a difference in your bottom line.

Which new fans are buying season tickets next year? If he wins 2 more games, fine, reason to believe, but another 1-11, you HAVE TO make a change.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Does he need all $2,000,000 up front? You can “save” 2milly by keeping him, if you can live with 5,000 fans at your home games and general disinterest from the fans that make a difference in your bottom line.

Which new fans are buying season tickets next year? If he wins 2 more games, fine, reason to believe, but another 1-11, you HAVE TO make a change.
I was wondering something similar. Can we demote him to DC and hire a a new HC with the stipulation that Dimel is the DC?

I was wondering something similar. Can we demote him to DC and hire a a new HC with the stipulation that Dimel is the DC?

I wouldn’t think so, because he has a contract. I’m wondering more if the 2 million can be broken up over years and not that UTEP would have to pay him 2 million when they fire him.

All this talk could be moot anyway, just wondering

As difficult as you make your paragraph to read, I understand them. The difference is I don’t agree with them. So you don’t have to dumb it down anymore than it already is.

Anyway, what does length of time on this board have to do with an overall knowledge of college football?

Nobody put any words in your mouth. I said if we don’t win another game this year he should be gone. Anyone that thinks one FBS victory over a two year span is good enough progress to save Dimel’s job doesn’t understand college football.

Last season I saw WKU Fire their second year HC for only taking them to one post season and winning nine games. So yes, even at low level football like CUSA, changes take place early in the process if the decision makers don’t like the direction the program is going with the new coach.

I don’t know what comment you were responding to regarding “Fire Dimel Now” since you didn’t quote anyone and the title of the thread is “Fire Senter.” I only responded to the part you wrote that fans calling for his job “don’t understand college football at this level.”

I’ll say it again IF Dimel doesn’t win another game this season they should fire him.

It doesn’t take a college football expert to conclude that.
Ok and you can test my College Football and UTEP Knowledge anytime you'd like Corona lol all jokes aside I get you, but UTEP doesn't fire after 2 years. I hope they win at least 3 this year, but who knows. For the record I don't like Dimel either.

I’ve asked this before. I’ll ask it again. If you fire Dimel after this season, you owe him over 2 million dollars to buyout his contract. Who’s paying that? And don’t say UTEP. They don’t have that kind of money.

I agree with you 100 percent but a lot of people aren’t going to listen to this point. UTEP has never been in a financial position to hire/fire coaches on a whim. In a perfect world I would love for UTEP to give Dimmel time and lessen the chance of a big buyout. UTEP is better off allocating money towards paying a good coach well because the lack of a good salary is as much of a hinderance to success as is El Paso and the constant losing.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Ok and you can test my College Football and UTEP Knowledge anytime you'd like Corona lol all jokes aside I get you, but UTEP doesn't fire after 2 years. I hope they win at least 3 this year, but who knows. For the record I don't like Dimel either.
I know you know college athletics. You don’t remember me but you will one day.

I remember before the start of the 2002 season asking you about the Kentucky football game. I was still in the UTEP fan infancy stage back then and didn’t know much.

I guess it depends if you consider TCU high level in the 70s. Jim Shofner went 1-10 In 74 and 75. He was brought back for 1976 and went 0-11

As far as lower-level, I guess it would have to be Prairie View A&M. Ronald Beard coached there from 1991 to 1994 and went 0 - 44

I guess it depends if you consider TCU high level in the 70s. Jim Shofner went 1-10 In 74 and 75. He was brought back for 1976 and went 0-11

Was talking about a G5 school and if the best that you can come up with is TCU from the 70s and FCS Prairie View from the early 90s, then point proven. UTEP will not bring him back if he finishes 1-11. If they do, then there is no point of having a FBS program any longer.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Was talking about a G5 school and if the best that you can come up with is TCU from the 70s and FCS Prairie View from the early 90s, then point proven. UTEP will not bring him back if he finishes 1-11. If they do, then there is no point of having a FBS program any longer.

Carl Franks over at Duke went winless in both 2000 and 2001 (0-11). He came back in 2002 and went 2-10. Duke fired him midway through 2003.

Also at Duke, Ted Roof was 1-10 in 2005 and 0-12 In 2006. He was fired after going 1-11 in 07.

If Dimel finishes 1-11 again and he is shown the door at the end of the season, I have little faith in Senter hiring a competent replacement. With our luck, he would hire another coach who brings an antiquated 1950s run based offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: minermaniac2023
Carl Franks over at Duke went winless in both 2000 and 2001 (0-11). He came back in 2002 and went 2-10. Duke fired him midway through 2003.

Also at Duke, Ted Roof was 1-10 in 2005 and 0-12 In 2006. He was fired after going 1-11 in 07.

Doesn’t bode well and he already has 0-11 at a previous school

If Dimel finishes 1-11 again and he is shown the door at the end of the season, I have little faith in Senter hiring a competent replacement. With our luck, he would hire another coach who brings an antiquated 1950s run based offense.
Or with our luck, Senter would tell us that he wants a coach that runs a spread offense, and he would hire Hal Mumme.

Pot, meet kettle. Go back and read your post that jcorona quoted. That’s exactly what you did.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I don't think Dimel gets fired no matter what happens the rest of the season. I am not stating that I agree with that but Senter will give his first hire at least through year three before pulling the trigger. I do however see a couple of coaches not coming back: Canales and Simmonds. I don't see them coming back unless the offense has a complete turn around over the rest of the season, even if we win 2-3 more games.

I don't think Dimel gets fired no matter what happens the rest of the season. I am not stating that I agree with that but Senter will give his first hire at least through year three before pulling the trigger. I do however see a couple of coaches not coming back: Canales and Simmonds. I don't see them coming back unless the offense has a complete turn around over the rest of the season, even if we win 2-3 more games.
I have to agree with you. UTEP firing a coach after year 3 (next season) would be a positive for the program and maybe a first. We usually wait until the after the 4th or into the 5th. I believe you are right that Canales is in serious trouble if the Miners can't see big improvement on offense the remainder of this season.

I do think the new AD and Prez will make a move after next season if Dimel has not produced marked improvement by then. Tweets from athletic dept staff after meetings with the Prez indicate she is a big supporter of athletics and wants a successful athletic dept. She just might be better at finding appropriate funding for buyouts and salary improvements.

Try selling 2 straight 1-11 seasons to your fan base and not come off looking like an Alameda used car salesman.

With all that being said I would love it if Dimel shut us all up. If he benches the two seniors and brings in Goodwin and Hardison for the last four games would be a nice start. If they move the ball, pose a passing threat, and score over 17 points per game will give us hope. If we get lucky and win 2 of those will show improvement in the overall w/l record. Preferably RICE and NMSU, but I won’t be mad if he beats Charlotte too.

But if the future qbs come in along with those 3-star freshmen recruits and the offense looks worse and we go 0-4 serious questions need to be asked about what will be different in year 3.

Try selling 2 straight 1-11 seasons to your fan base and not come off looking like an Alameda used car salesman.
They won't need to if they can somehow bring in a proven winner that can recruit. It gonna cost money anyway we put it.

I'm a strong believer that sports are an integral part of being at a University, like it or not. Mandate that all students pay a reasonable athletic fee and then go after alumni like me for donations (haven't heard from UTEP despite being a 2-time graduate, previous season ticket holder and having a son attend school there).

$100 a semester per student and you have a buyout with $2 million to spare in 1 years time. Mandate it! Kids are not gonna stop going to UTEP.

They won't need to if they can somehow bring in a proven winner that can recruit. It gonna cost money anyway we put it.

I'm a strong believer that sports are an integral part of being at a University, like it or not. Mandate that all students pay a reasonable athletic fee and then go after alumni like me for donations (haven't heard from UTEP despite being a 2-time graduate, previous season ticket holder and having a son attend school there).

$100 a semester per student and you have a buyout with $2 million to spare in 1 years time. Mandate it! Kids are not gonna stop going to UTEP.
They tried that in 2010 and the students voted down a separate athletic fee. I would tag the link, however, KVIA doesn't have it archived. Cant post a screenshot either since, I don't have the "url link" needed here. Just google "UTEP student athletic fee 2010"

However, there is a student services fee, which a small part does go to athletics, of which a max of $186 is divided up into many pots.
https://www.utep.edu/vpba/student-b...dule/summer-2018/required-fees-undergrad.html

They tried that in 2010 and the students voted down a separate athletic fee. I would tag the link, however, KVIA doesn't have it archived. Cant post a screenshot either since, I don't have the "url link" needed here. Just google "UTEP student athletic fee 2010"

However, there is a student services fee, which a small part does go to athletics, of which a max of $186 is divided up into many pots.
https://www.utep.edu/vpba/student-b...dule/summer-2018/required-fees-undergrad.html
Looks like KVIA has totally redesigned their website. Looks nice actually. Unfortunately, that means all of their links to previous articles are now going to be broken when doing a Google search.

Reactions: minerfan_14

Yes I remember. This is why I suggest it be mandated and not voted upon by students.

And yes I understand its money, but that's the cost. We can't continue with the pobresito attitude. If everybody contributes, then everybody is a part of it. Fair and square.

Looks like KVIA has totally redesigned their website. Looks nice actually. Unfortunately, that means all of their links to previous articles are now going to be broken when doing a Google search.
That's the only thing that came up on google. I would've thought a prospector article or something at least would also pop up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT