ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Locksley and a Healthy Wadley with Winstim Blocking and Goal line is good for 2 or 3 more wins. I don't expect more than 4 wins this year, but I'm hoping for marked improvement with the following year maybe getting to or above .500

Reactions: El Paso 777
Barfield weighs about 170lbs and 'out athleted' all lot of El Paso kids. I think he could play WR or CB in college, but not QB.
Aaron Jones was only 175 and had similar competition. He’s not going to play qb at SDSU so the coaches over there agree with you. I’m going to follow his career and see where he ends up in half a decade.

Reactions: axingfools1
Dimel said that a few EP kids that play out of town have contacted the staff about coming back. I wonder he may be referring too?

Brownholtz will still be with the program so we now have at least 5 "1 QB for every year"

Nobody really asked about the RB position in the pressor, but it seems that they are comfortable with who we have knowing Locksley and likely Dimel will be back there too.

He did say that most of the JC/graduate transfers will be competing for starting jobs immediately and that our new punter is a "5 star".

Also mentioned that Barboza had 4 offers after visiting UTEP (2 power 5 and 2 CUSA teams each). Pretty cool that he stuck with the miners. Left guard might be covered.

Last edited:
It looks like a lot of us were wrong about the new coach. I hope we get out of the slump
and start winning. I want to see the Sun Bowl sold out the way it was being sold out when
Coach Price was winning. This place is a gold mine.

Go Miners..

Dimel said that a few EP kids that play out of town have contacted the staff about coming back. I wonder he may be referring too?

Brownholtz will still be with the program so we now have at least 5 "1 QB for every year"

Nobody really asked about the RB position in the pressor, but it seems that they are comfortable with who we have knowing Locksley and likely Dimel will be back there too.

He did say that most of the JC/graduate transfers will be competing for starting jobs immediately and that our new punter is a "5 star".

Also mentioned that Barboza had 4 offers after visiting UTEP (2 power 5 and 2 CUSA teams each). Pretty cool that he stuck with the miners. Left guard might be covered.
Rashad Still from Andress WR left Minnesota only kid I can think of...

Reactions: jdubb66
Mike Price was at the Presser. Great to see him still involved. He seems like a great ambassador for the Football Program.

Jim Senter also seems to have a Great Vision on what we can do better. Fresh ideas, taking notes from what the fans want, and being honest about the reality of far fetched pipe dreams ie. Baseball, Men's Soccer.

It looks like a lot of us were wrong about the new coach. I hope we get out of the slump
and start winning. I want to see the Sun Bowl sold out the way it was being sold out when

Go Miners..
I completely agree ^^^ that this place is a gold mine. I just hope the fans have the mindset that if we win 3 or 4 this coming season, it's good. Considering we won ZERO last season. I hope this coaching staff walk into a loud full stadium of Miner fans doing their part. If you haven't been to the last few Minerpaloozas, go. They have become quite the spectacle. The Sun Bowl stadium should be a tough place to come play.

Go Miners..

+1.

Still would be a great get. If I remember correctly, he had a really good Sophomore year. Nearly 20 yards per catch, I think.

I'm wondering where we are at scholarship wise for the year. I believe the yearly allotment for FB is 25 rides. Obviously, several of the guys signed today will be greyshirts. However, the staff has also indicated they plan on being active in the area of grad transfers in the summer. Does anyone know if the 25 scholarship per year limit is still in place, and whether that number would include grad transfers?
@FanatiCoog already answered but here’s a nice read with some additional information on the scholarship limit.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...-recruiting-class-limits-national-signing-day

Reactions: develman
Mike Price was at the Presser. Great to see him still involved. He seems like a great ambassador for the Football Program.

Jim Senter also seems to have a Great Vision on what we can do better. Fresh ideas, taking notes from what the fans want, and being honest about the reality of far fetched pipe dreams ie. Baseball, Men's Soccer.
He reminds of those high ranking retired military officers who make El Paso home. They still do good in the community but no one is aware. If Natalicio was that bad, do you think Price would've stayed to continue helping UTEP, paid or unpaid?

Reactions: unihorn
247. Sports doesn't think much of our recruiting class. 14th out of 14.
It’s true despite all the hype and buzz generated by this class it still remains in last place. Before we start competing against the conference it’s important that we are compete against ourselves. This years recruiting class has a score of 103.84. Last years it was 85.51. This year we signed three 3star players and 21 2star players. Last year we signed one 3star and 16 2star. Keep in mind that 247 is still missing Hawkins who is a 2star and Dimel who is a 3star.

Given the short amount of time and the disastrous season we just endured the new coaching staff was still able to pull in a better class than Kugler’s fifth recruiting class.

Also CUSA has seen an increase in recruiting quality. The 2018 UTEP class score would have finished ranked 12th among 2017 CUSA classes.

If Dimel is joining the team and once they add Hawkins our class might just jump a place or two. Next season I hope UTEP can recruit a class that will compete with the top half of the league.

Agreed. Agreed. Nice to have a bright future. Big time.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It would be unbelievable to actually experience a positive season in any sport, whether it's football or basketball; I don't care. It's been a terribly long dry spell and we have been humiliated over and over with hoops with each year with repeated high expectations. I never have high expectations in football so let's hope this is a turning point. I must say that I love the Dimel/Senter results so far.
GO MINERS

I completely agree ^^^ that this place is a gold mine. I just hope the fans have the mindset that if we win 3 or 4 this coming season, it's good. Considering we won ZERO last season. I hope this coaching staff walk into a loud full stadium of Miner fans doing their part. If you haven't been to the last few Minerpaloozas, go. They have become quite the spectacle. The Sun Bowl stadium should be a tough place to come play.
We had around 35,000 in the stands even when we were not winning under Price. El Paso fans like a competitive exciting team. Give them a run up the middle on first down then another run on second, a short pass on third and punt on fourth, the fans will not come.

It’s true despite all the hype and buzz generated by this class it still remains in last place. Before we start competing against the conference it’s important that we are compete against ourselves. This years recruiting class has a score of 103.84. Last years it was 85.51. This year we signed three 3star players and 21 2star players. Last year we signed one 3star and 16 2star. Keep in mind that 247 is still missing Hawkins who is a 2star and Dimel who is a 3star.

Given the short amount of time and the disastrous season we just endured the new coaching staff was still able to pull in a better class than Kugler’s fifth recruiting class.

Also CUSA has seen an increase in recruiting quality. The 2018 UTEP class score would have finished ranked 12th among 2017 CUSA classes.

If Dimel is joining the team and once they add Hawkins our class might just jump a place or two. Next season I hope UTEP can recruit a class that will compete with the top half of the league.
These coaches had 4 weeks to recruit and they did this good. Think of what they can do with a full year.

We had around 35,000 in the stands even when we were not winning under Price. El Paso fans like a competitive exciting team. Give them a run up the middle on first down then another run on second, a short pass on third and punt on fourth, the fans will not come.

Price got around 25,000 when they weren't winning. Even the Oklahoma game barely got 40,000.

When CMP came back to the program after Kugs quit, my respect and admiration for him swelled. He is truly one of our own and I’ll love the guy forever. He is a GREAT ambassador!

You have to consider the playbook. I am sure the new staff have a lot more plays on under their belt.
I expect us to be competitive on almost every game with the possibility of winning 4 games next year.
Who knows what kind of recruits they will bring the following year.

GO Miners...

I think a lot of fans are going to be going to the Spring game to get a glimpse of the offensive system.

I think a lot of fans are going to be going to the Spring game to get a glimpse of the offensive system.

Which is still a huge question mark as far as I know. Dimel and Canales haven’t exactly excelled running the same kind of offense as each other. I’m optimistic but curious to see what we get.

Spring games suck for fans. They're for hillbilly towns and mega fans. Most big cities ignore them. El Paso is too big a city to turn out for a Spring game.

Columbus is the only big city that has people people dumb enough to go to one.

I remember going to the Spring game last year (first time in many, many years). I was bored out of my mind.

Spring games suck for fans. They're for hillbilly towns and mega fans. Most big cities ignore them. El Paso is too big a city to turn out for a Spring game.

Columbus is the only big city that has people people dumb enough to go to one.

The spring game is going to get over 20,000 fans and the first game will be sold out in August. THINK BIG :rolleyes:

Reactions: unihom
Price got around 25,000 when they weren't winning. Even the Oklahoma game barely got 40,000.

Let's unpack, in reverse order.
  • UTEP drew about 41K for the 2012 home game against Oklahoma. Glass half empty/full? That number was about 11K LESS than full capacity at Sun Bowl. But, it also was about 15K MORE that UTEP's AVERAGE attendance the previous season. So what's your point?
  • UTEP's AVERAGE attendance during Mike Price's entire tenure (2004 - 2012) - good years and bad years - was 35,516.
  • "Price got around 25,000 when they weren't winning." Even if you want to cherry pick the WORST consecutive years under Price (his last four, 2009 - 2012), UTEP's AVERAGE attendance during those years was 28,588, significantly more that 25K, as you allege.
  • And let this one sink in - UTEP's WORST year of attendance in the Price era (2011/26,498) was 2,000 greater than UTEP's AVERAGE attendance during the entire, 5 season Kugler era (2013 - 2017/24,500). Shows just how far the program fell under Kugler.
  • In Price's first season at UTEP (2004), average attendance DOUBLED from the the prior 2003 season (41,209 vs 20,009). That pretty remarkable by any standard.
  • In 2005, Price's second season, UTEP averaged 48K in attendance (44th in the nation that year). In Kugler's final season (2017), UTEP averaged 19,548. Years of bad football, bad coaching, and bad AD leadership put this program in hospice.

Last edited:
In Kugler's final season (2017), UTEP averaged 19,548. Years of bad football and bad coaching have put this program in hospice.

Let me jump in here

And yet, 19,548 was still more than FAU and NMSU. Almost 4,000 more than Western Michigan, who was coming off a Cotton Bowl appearance.

Not too shabby, imagine if he had an actual AD and coach, like we do now.

Let's unpack, in reverse order.
  • UTEP drew about 41K for the 2012 home game against Oklahoma. Glass half empty/full? That number was about 11K LESS than full capacity at Sun Bowl. But, it also was about 15K MORE that UTEP's AVERAGE attendance the previous season. So what's your point?
  • UTEP's AVERAGE attendance during Mike Price's entire tenure (2004 - 2012) - good years and bad years - was 35,516.
  • "Price got around 25,000 when they weren't winning." Even if you want to cherry pick the WORST consecutive years under Price (his last four, 2009 - 2012), UTEP's AVERAGE attendance during those years was 28,588, significantly more that 25K, as you allege.
  • And let this one sink in - UTEP's WORST year of attendance in the Price era (2011/26,498) was 2,000 greater than UTEP's AVERAGE attendance during the entire, 5 season Kugler era (2013 - 2017/24,500).
  • In Price's first season at UTEP (2004), average attendance DOUBLED from the the prior 2003 season (41,209 vs 20,009). That pretty remarkable by any standard.
  • In 2005, Price's second season, UTEP averaged 48K in attendance (44th in the nation that year). In Kugler's final season (2017), UTEP averaged 19,548. Years of bad football and bad coaching have put this program in hospice.

Why are you bringing up the attendance when UTEP was winning? I only was talking about the years they weren't winning.

Thanks for proving my point that UTEP averaged around 25,000 when UTEP was losing. They never averaged 35k when they were losing.

Let me jump in here

And yet, 19,548 was still more than FAU and NMSU. Almost 4,000 more than Western Michigan, who was coming off a Cotton Bowl appearance.

Not too shabby, imagine if he had an actual AD and coach, like we do now.

Really? FAU? NMSU? Western Michigan? Biggest midget in the circus, maybe?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT