ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

FYI to UTEPFB staff, my central EP catholic church allows a Somoan Christian church to use the facilities since their place sustained serious property damage here in El Paso. There are some Samoan high school looking boys who look like they can toss me 50 yards. Just sayin

Last edited:
Reactions: jdubb66
On channel 9 tonight, they showed that UTEP commit Escobar had to be helped off the field after the first or second play of the game and he never returned. The video showed that he needed 2 or 3 people to help him get off the field.

Also, Robert Mervin has appeared on the roster at some point. He is a JC Center who had committed to East Carolina earlier this year, but somehow ended up with us. He might be a candidate to replace Gatewood next year. It also looks like he might be either redshirting or blueshirting this season(which had also been his plan at ECU, according to an article). This would give him 2 years to play starting next year?

FYI to UTEPFB staff, my central EP catholic church allows a Somoan Christian church to use the facilities since their place sustained serious property damage here in El Paso. There are some Samoan high school looking boys who look like they can toss me 50 yards. Just sayin

Growing up in El Paso and spending most of my summers in Hawaii...I’ll tell ya some of the Samoan women there were bigger then our linemen. Lol.

Reactions: utep2step
I'm g

I'm guessing Dimmel is thinking good write ups about recruits will calm down some fans. It might, any good news is welcomed.
There is something I like about Dimel and I really do want him to succeed. He may throw the same slogans after every loss, but he is a well spoke person and I have seen him once or twice around town and he always had a smile on his face.

Below is a conversation from the realignment board talking about how difficult recruiting is now for new coaches. This applies to Dimel since I remember, and I'm sure you all do as well, that the early signing period was pretty much ignored by Dimel even in his 2nd recruiting class. He did have a few early signees but not enough to shout it to the world. This years class is going to be interesting because he is going to have an "event" this year for early signees but how do you sell your program with the current results?

(Yesterday 01:16 PM)stever20 Wrote: saw a really interesting point that the early signing period moved into December is making that 1st recruiting class for incoming coaches trash basically, and totally making that 2nd year jump that we see a lot of times a whole lot tougher....

think the yearly scholarship limits hurt a lot too. Coaches used to be able to take 30 or 32 in those first classes to get back up to 85. But with a cap of only 25 spots it means coaches are basically on probation their first few years

Below is a conversation from the realignment board talking about how difficult recruiting is now for new coaches. This applies to Dimel since I remember, and I'm sure you all do as well, that the early signing period was pretty much ignored by Dimel even in his 2nd recruiting class. He did have a few early signees but not enough to shout it to the world. This years class is going to be interesting because he is going to have an "event" this year for early signees but how do you sell your program with the current results?

(Yesterday 01:16 PM)stever20 Wrote: saw a really interesting point that the early signing period moved into December is making that 1st recruiting class for incoming coaches trash basically, and totally making that 2nd year jump that we see a lot of times a whole lot tougher....

think the yearly scholarship limits hurt a lot too. Coaches used to be able to take 30 or 32 in those first classes to get back up to 85. But with a cap of only 25 spots it means coaches are basically on probation their first few years
FBS colleges are firing coaches "in season" now. Kulger was one such victim (he technically "stepped down"). Firing in season was frowned upon for decades in D1A/FBS football and only happened if there was an off field scandal. Let's not forget Stull followed this model up until recently and held out until the bitter end with Nord and Price.

So yes it is trash for them but the new coach moves in, throw the dead bones out (or hides them), kissy, kissy with the boosters, shake some hands, throw up some university hand signs on social media and work the first year with what ya got. That is what exactly what Tom Herman did at UT.

So my point it, this is the new normal.

There is something I like about Dimel and I really do want him to succeed. He may throw the same slogans after every loss, but he is a well spoke person and I have seen him once or twice around town and he always had a smile on his face.

I'd have a smile on my face too if I was Dimmel. After Kansas State he had two roads, 3.5 million guaranteed at UTEP or if he was lucky 200,000 grand non-guaranteed as an OC or position coach somewhere. He got the only FBS or even FCS job he could get.

I'd have a smile on my face too if I was Dimmel. After Kansas State he had two roads, 3.5 million guaranteed at UTEP or if he was lucky 200,000 grand non-guaranteed as an OC or position coach somewhere. He got the only FBS or even FCS job he could get.
Can't argue with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT