ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

UTEP has 2 JUCO DE's coming in on visits this weekend. When you watch the HUDL on both of these DE's, you see that they played on 4 DL lines in JUCO. Playing DE on a 3 man D line has different responsibilities than playing DE on a 4 man D line. It also usually requires more size, which I am not sure that these guys have. Is Cox going to break his stubbornness and play more 4 man D line, or his he going to try to force these DE's into playing on a 3 man D line?

I really liked Cox coming into this season, but seeing his stubbornness of staying in a 3 D line defense against a predominantly rushing UAB team while continuously getting run over, along with an inability to stop the bootleg pass against Charlotte play-after-play-after-play, really raised some major red flags.

Last edited:
UTEP has 2 JUCO DE's coming in on visits this weekend. When you watch the HUDL on both of these DE's, you see that they played on 4 DL lines in JUCO. Playing DE on a 3 man D line has different responsibilities that playing DE on a 4 man D line. It usually requires more size, which I am not sure that these guys have. Is Cox going to break his stubbornness and play more 4 man D line, or his he going to try to force these DE's into playing on a 3 man D line?

I really liked Cox coming into this season, but seeing his stubbornness of staying in a 3 D line defense against a predominantly rushing UAB team while continuously getting run over, along with an inability to stop the bootleg pass against Charlotte play-after-play-after-play, really raised some major red flags.

That stubbornness is all over the program. On offense and defense. UTEP has rarely fielded good 4 man fronts. I can’t believe they think they can field a good 3 man front.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
If we want to read into things, it looks like we got 5 commitments this weekend, with two visitors still pending:

We apparently offered 3 secondary guys from Fort Scott CC. Fort Scott CC only won 2 games this year and gave up almost 350 yards per game, for whatever that’s worth.

We had 8 confirmed visitors this weekend, which included Warfield, who had already committed. So we had the chance to gain 7 new commitments.

Nealy put out a 3 alarm tweet around the same time that the 3 Fort Scott CC guys tweet from above came out. So that likely accounts for 3 of the 5 new commitments.

Then a little later, Nealy had a tweet with 4 alarms and 3 dots(4 commits and 3 pending). Then a little while after that he had the above tweet of 5 alarms and 2 dots(5 commits and 2 pending).

So in summary, we got 5 new commits, which means that we got the 3 commits from the 3 Fort Scott CC guys, plus we got 2 more commits out of the following 4 players: McIver, Steele, Taylor, and Williams.

At least it all adds up if you look at it this way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT