ADVERTISEMENT

Football vacancy

Now take a look at all these names and write them down. Throw that list in the trash. Now think of a coach that inspires you the least. 10 bucks says that’s our next head coach.

giphy.gif
Who is an offensive coordinator that is about to be fired?

I still think the name I've been saying since Day 1 Jason Eck is #1 on Senters list. This is due to a relationship and knowledge of one another and he fits the bill. HC experience, Proven winner and able to recruit to a tough area. With that being said it should be Patterson's job to decline. Eck may not bring about excitement to Miner fans, who don't know him, but he's a spirited and fun coach. Respect the Eck!

Reactions: kickballpro
I still think the name I've been saying since Day 1 Jason Eck is #1 on Senters list. This is due to a relationship and knowledge of one another and he fits the bill. HC experience, Proven winner and able to recruit to a tough area. With that being said it should be Patterson's job to decline. Eck may not bring about excitement to Miner fans, who don't know him, but he's a spirited and fun coach. Respect the Eck!

I agree. Rumor is that the decision on Dimel was made about 4 weeks ago and Senter had been making a short list.

I doubt any names will get leaked, but I would think Eck is the favorite. I also expect this to be a quick hire. Too many openings to compete against and the Portal opens December 4th. The guy has to be in place to try and keep guys here and to recruit the Portal.

Now take a look at all these names and write them down. Throw that list in the trash. Now think of a coach that inspires you the least. 10 bucks says that’s our next head coach.

giphy.gif
You may be right. What we want and what UTEP are willing to pay are two different things. I think a lot of these coaches are out of our reach not just because of their salary, but also the salary for the staff. We got Dimel last go around because UTEP didn’t pay enough, and 6 years later I bet 1 million is laughable to some of these guys.

Price had baggage. The only obstacle to Price was if Natalicio would agree to the hire. Patterson is a proven winner with no baggage. He ain’t coming here for 800k as a charity case.
Allegedly from sources I hear depending on the coach it could be anywhere from 850,000-1.5million offered this time around. Patterson, Banks or White are the only coaches I could see being offered that much to come to Utep. One issue with Patterson is he has said before he has a dislike for the NIL and transfer portal. However hopefully he's changed his tune since then. If he doesn't give us a sniff oral any other Big Names out there, then we'll probably hire a current FCS HC or FBS Assistant for $900-950 range. Another Big need is for Utep to establish a NIL for Football ASAP.

Last edited:
College Football Network-

UTEP DC Bradley Dale Peveto
Oregon State OC Brian Lindgren
Marion
Toledo OC Mike Hallett
SMU OC Casey Woods
Well, I was certain they were gonna keep Dismal. Oh Lord…..why do I get the feeling it’s gonna be the DC Peveto. Everyone is gonna be excited for new blood and then they end up keeping it in house. Please God don’t let this happen.

I agree. Rumor is that the decision on Dimel was made about 4 weeks ago and Senter had been making a short list.

I doubt any names will get leaked, but I would think Eck is the favorite. I also expect this to be a quick hire. Too many openings to compete against and the Portal opens December 4th. The guy has to be in place to try and keep guys here and to recruit the Portal.
This would be an underwhelming hire but would not be surprised because of Senter

Well, I was certain they were gonna keep Dismal. Oh Lord…..why do I get the feeling it’s gonna be the DC Peveto. Everyone is gonna be excited for new blood and then they end up keeping it in house. Please God don’t let this happen.

This would be an underwhelming hire but would not be surprised because of Senter
Well Heck, I just listened to a podcast with Scotty Walden Austin Peay HC, and now I like him a little better than Eck haha 🤣 Young, driven dude who will totally embrace the transfer portal and NIL. It's gonna be a fun week of seeing which candidates fit the best and for Utep's sake and Senter's future, hopefully they make the right choice!

I don’t want to come off as overly pessimistic, but there is NO fvcking way Gary Patterson is going to coach at UTEP. Not gonna happen.

Price fell from grace, which is the ONLY reason UTEP landed him. GP will have far better options if he wants them.
Totally agree. He us from the Coach Fran Tree and let’s not forget he inherited a good TCU program from Coach Dennis Franchione who rebuilt TCU from a WAC team to giant killer of USC in the Sun Bowl which helped them land into the Big XII. Coach Fran is forgotten about but he built up UNM, TCU and forced out at TAMU. He is quietly retired.

Patterson will not come here and I don’t think he’s the right fit.

Yes agreed. This was not decided recently, Dimel is delusional, if he truly thought he was returning. Senter has his list, and believe it or not, there is a ton of interest. If Dimel did anything, it was leaving the next guy a few pieces to work with. Though they are losing some solid players.

UTEP football is a stepping stone program, once that mindset i
tak
Yes agreed. This was not decided recently, Dimel is delusional, if he truly thought he was returning. Senter has his list, and believe it or not, there is a ton of interest. If Dimel did anything, it was leaving the next guy a few pieces to work with. Though they are losing some solid players.
It's upsetting to me that Senter has the decision on the next UTEP FB HC decision. The man is a fool.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Eck makes "money" sense as UTEP does not have the privilege of hiring and firing as other schools do.

He was the runner up for the UNLV opening last year
UNLV pays close to 2 million for their HC. Built a state of the art $35 million football facility center and plays their games in a brand new nfl stadium. UNLV has sights to have one of the best nil deals in the g5. We’re not quite the same as them anymore. They invested and improved themselves.

UNLV pays close to 2 million for their HC. Built a state of the art $35 million football facility center and plays their games in a brand new nfl stadium. UNLV has sights to have one of the best nil deals in the g5. We’re not quite the same as them anymore. They invested and improved themselves.
One of if not the best G5 conference too.

"Grimes can coach, as he has been a play-caller at BYU and Baylor across the past six years, which includes an 11-1 year with the Cougars in 2020 and a Big 12 title the following year with the Bears. Grimes was a career O-line coach before that and was on staff of the 2010 Auburn team that won the national title. Grimes is available, but he might not be for long. He should be the Miners’ first call."

My quick 2 cents. No on Patterson or anyone with ties to El Paso/UTEP, do we need a 63 year old tryng to motivate 18 year olds or someone who is used to losing mentality and people around town thanking him for trying really hard after going 2-10. Didn't this experiment with Price, Dimel and Kugler and Floyd already fail, have we not learned anything? Hell, Stull came from UMASS and was successful, as was Billy Clyde, Sadler, Barbee. Get someone who can excite the fan base.

If we get a coach who is successful, decides to bolt for a better job after Year 3, then that means we would have had 2-3 successful winning seasons. I would take that in a second, it sure beats the last 20 plus years, hopefully Senter is smart enough (TBD) to build in a buyout clause if a coach leaves for another job for any years remaining on their contract. For some reason Stull never did that (Nor get BCG to actually sign his contract), so hopefully he didn't train Senter.

I hope so. Grimes would be in line with Kugler/Dimel hires.
I live in Waco and seen the games — I could be wrong but I don’t want him coming here—- it could be aranda had him change his style but if it’s like what I saw at baylor no thank you

Did Senter actually hire Dismal or was it mainly Stull?

If Banks is hired….is his wife gonna bring her stripper friends and monkeys as recruiting tools?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT