ADVERTISEMENT

Football vacancy

I don't think anybody, including Kentucky, had much success getting him to sign a contract. I know it was more than just UTEP.
Well it’s like they say at closing time “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.” I’d take McConnell in a heartbeat before I see Hardison in a Miner uniform ever again. Nothing personal, but he can beat it.

Well it’s like they say at closing time “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.” I’d take McConnell in a heartbeat before I see Hardison in a Miner uniform ever again. Nothing personal, but he can beat it.
Get gone!

Yes, Foster has major pull at both schools more than anyone; however, I can't see him getting involved without the media hounds sniffing his back door.

Grimes has a very, very impressive resume that has stood the test of time from a coaching tree that speaks for itself.-Grimes resume (Wiki)

However, El Paso ran out two UTEP legends: Floyd and Kugler. I am speaking for myself and say no more running out family members, especially those who make us proud, unless they show an absolute willingness to take the job knowing the knives that come out when the barrio is angry. It is too painful for this alum.

Reactions: jdubb66
My picks:

Yes, Foster has major pull at both schools more than anyone; however, I can't see him getting involved without the media hounds sniffing his back door.

Grimes has a very, very impressive resume that has stood the test of time from a coaching tree that speaks for itself.-Grimes resume (Wiki)

However, El Paso ran out two UTEP legends: Floyd and Kugler. I am speaking for myself and say no more running out family members, especially those who make us proud, unless they show an absolute willingness to take the job knowing the knives that come out when the barrio is angry. It is too painful for this alum.
Been a fun day since I took the day off going over all the candidates. I have always been team Eck, but am now swayed by what I see and hear. There may be some other names that come up, but my current top 5 after doing some research.

1.Scotty Walden
2. Jeff Grimes
3. Jason Eck
4. Bennan Marion
5A/5B. Kasey Dunn/Mack Leftwich

Last edited:
My picks:

If Filli can use google to search for offensive coordinator’s UTEP played against this year, the search committee can def find Brennan Marion’s name.

Been a fun day since I'm off going over all the candidates. I have always been team Eck, but am now swayed by what I see and hear. There may be some other names that come up, but my current top 5 after doing some research.

1.Scotty Walden
2. Jeff Grimes
3. Jason Eck
4. Bennan Marion
I’d rather bring back Dimel than hiring any FCS head coach no matter how successful they were at the FCS level or Jeff Grimes.

I’ll be sick if Jeff Grimes gets the job. An OC? Yeah that’s cool but again that would be Kugler 2.0 IMO.

Been a fun day since I'm off going over all the candidates. I have always been team Eck, but am now swayed by what I see and hear. There may be some other names that come up, but my current top 5 after doing some research.

1.Scotty Walden
2. Jeff Grimes
3. Jason Eck
4. Bennan Marion
If Mack isn’t hired as HC, would new ball coach and Mack himself consider OC. Does he come home or stay and finish at what looks to be a better team at TX ST?

My old man wants Jordan Palmer for OC, and I’m not mad at that.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I’d rather bring back Dimel than hiring any FCS head coach no matter how successful they were at the FCS level or Jeff Grimes.

I’ll be sick if Jeff Grimes gets the job. An OC? Yeah that’s cool but again that would be Kugler 2.0 IMO.
Curious on the FCS Head Coach reasoning Bigwood?🤔

If Mack isn’t hired as HC, would new ball coach and Mack himself consider OC. Does he come home or stay and finish at what looks to be a better team at TX ST?

My old man wants Jordan Palmer for OC, and I’m not mad at that.
I think it's time for a young upstart who really embraces the transfer portal and NIL. That is as long as he brings in experienced XandO guys to coach with him. I'd love to have Palmer back as a QB coach and Assistant OC.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Curious on the FCS Head Coach reasoning Bigwood?🤔
I just think UTEP should be aiming higher for a decent name, an FCS head coach is kind of a lazy hire IMO.

Should be a P5 experienced/seasoned or someone who has had success at the G5 level and P5. So many good names in this cycle to settle for a successful FCS coach, not discrediting any of them, but this cycle has plenty of sexy FBS names UTEP can try to go after rather than settle for a cheap and safe hire. @GymCenter did the safe and cheap hire and got burned. The FBS market is great for UTEP to make a great hire that would turn heads.

Palmer doesn’t love EP! His QB skills camps are top tier, why would he want to stop tutoring Mahomes, Josh Allen, Burrow, and more to coach McConnell.

The true question is why doesn’t every UTEP QB attend his camps, starting with SoCal McConnell?
He's also flat out stated, he would not be interested.

I just think UTEP should be aiming higher for a decent name, an FCS head coach is kind of a lazy hire IMO.

Should be a P5 experienced/seasoned or someone who has had success at the G5 level and P5. So many good names in this cycle to settle for a successful FCS coach, not discrediting any of them, but this cycle has plenty of sexy FBS names UTEP can try to go after rather than settle for a cheap and safe hire. @GymCenter did the safe and cheap hire and got burned. The FBS market is great for UTEP to make a great hire that would turn heads.
I get ya, so who's on your wish list?

Why would Jordan Palmer take a pay cut to ruin what he built as a QB guru? Might as well hire Robert Rodriguez then. Jeff Banks also hated being here.
I agree about Palmer, I just said it'd be nice, but yeah he's doing just fine without us lol

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Will Stein a name I didn't think of, was brought up to me today and I definitely wouldn't hate that hire actually 👍🤔

Reactions: shyminer81
The key to success lies west on i10. Opt for a seasoned coach who has achieved victories at every stop.

While some emerging talents from FCS schools may seem promising, this role demands an established winner, not someone experimenting on the job. Consider the potential challenges of adapting to larger rosters, managing more coaches, handling bigger budgets, the higher depth of talent at FBS, etc. Recruiting is crucial, and the consequences of poor recruitment are well-known here.

While there's a slim chance of finding the perfect young coordinator or rising FCS coach, in my opinion, the risk is too great. Why take a chance when we can secure a coach with proven success in FCS, G5, and even at the top level, won at the P5 but fell short in their eyes?

Reactions: EPUTEP
How many of those DBs sat out most of the season after four games? (Ilijah certainly did.)

Our defense really sucked this season. A ball-control philosophy can be successful, but it requires an elite defense (look at Iowa). Dimel ball paired with a horrid defense is a recipe for disaster. We heard about all the WRs electing not to play; I'm just curious how many players from the D also sat themselves out.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I get ya, so who's on your wish list?
Posted this on another thread.

) Brennan Marion
2) Sean Lewis
3) Mack Leftwich
4) Emmett Jones
5) Will Stein

My immediate list of candidates I’d like to see UTEP interview. Marion is the answer to a turnaround IMO.

Adding Two grand slam hires tho: Gary Patterson and Jeff Banks. Don’t think UTEP can outbid anyone for them tho, the list above is more realistic.

I would be fine with the Brennan Marion hire, but I'm just concerned that he has only been an FBS coach for 4 years and an offensive coordinator for 1 year.

I would be fine with the Brennan Marion hire, but I'm just concerned that he has only been an FBS coach for 4 years and an offensive coordinator for 1 year.
He was one of the most prolific WRs to play FBS/D1 football, former players who are coaches connect well with kids. Not worried about his coaching experience, dude actually played the game at a high level that holds heavy weight with me.

Consider the potential challenges of adapting to larger rosters, managing more coaches, handling bigger budgets, the higher depth of talent at FBS, etc.
On the other hand, if you hire a coach who has been at a place with a larger budget and much easier access to resources, they might have a difficult time adjusting to not having them. I would go for a coach with previous HC experience who perhaps has had success at a school that is not in an area considered easy to recruit to and has dealt with the portal, both the reality of losing players and replenishing your roster yearly if needed.

He was one of the most prolific WRs to play FBS/D1 football, former players who are coaches connect well with kids. Not worried about his coaching experience, dude actually played the game at a high level that holds heavy weight with me.

His college stats don't hold any weight with me. I don't care if he won the Heisman Trophy. All I care about is coaching experience and if the coach is a proven winner.

I would take a coach like Skip Holtz in a heartbeat over Brennan Marion. Holtz is a proven winner as a head coach and would turn things around at UTEP. Brennan Marion is a wildcard because he has never been a head coach.

Reactions: fwahbevo
If Filli can use google to search for offensive coordinator’s UTEP played against this year, the search committee can def find Brennan Marion’s name.
Of those 2 who you think is head coach ready?? Looks like Liberty has 3 OC's. Liberty did run the ball a lot on the Miners. Isaac is in charge of the running game at Liberty and Utep does have good RBs, that's if they stay. Liberty does have a good winning formula that worked in CUSA. I wouldn't mind if Senter went that route. They also would be cheaper .

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Of those 2 who you think is head coach ready?? Looks like Liberty has 3 OC's. Liberty did run the ball a lot on the Miners. Isaac is in charge of the running game at Liberty and Utep does have good RBs, that's if they stay. Liberty does have a good winning formula that worked in CUSA. I wouldn't mind if Senter went that route. They also would be cheaper .
I’m just trolling you pops. Wouldn’t mind them at all actually sneaky good find +1. Liberty does have that winning formula and cash money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT