ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't have a football season

Probably not. This isn’t a positive/negative take. It’s more of a realistic view into the finances of the athletic department.

It isn’t a negative take. As he wouldn’t call for his head or say he could be replaced if the Miner have another bad season. That’s my point. He will only bad mouth Dimel once he’s gone. Until then, he will just write non-negative articles, even if he feels differently inside. He won’t let his true public feelings out. As we have seen in the past, UTEP cuts you off unless you’re a cheerleader.

The funny thing, is that it was Bob Stull that won 10 games. They went 10-3 in 1988. May have been before your time.

Gotta give him this. Bob Stull was one helluva good coach while at UTEP. He turned a perennial loser into a conference contender after just two seasons. Back when the WAC regularly fielded a couple top 20 teams. Looking back at his first season where we went 4-8 we were in most of those games where we ended up with an L. Could’ve just as easily been 8-4 that year. Considering 4 wins was the most since 1974, Stull orchestrated one hell of a program turnaround in his short stint. Glad I got to see that, because I’m not sure Miner football will ever see that kind of success again.

There’s absolutely no way he comes back if he goes 1-11 or 0-12. There comes a point in time where you need to sell tickets. What idiot would buy tickets to see a 3-33 coach?

I absolutely agree that Dimel should not come back if he goes 1-11 or 0-12. Heck... in my world where I’m AD I’d say he needs at least 3 wins, but I do think he’s coming back. It has nothing to do with his performance and everything to do with his contract. Will UTEP be willing and able to fire him with two years remaining on his contract during a pandemic? In my heart of hearts I want to believe they would but it’s going to be tough financially. Also, when you look at it coaches at least fire a coordinator as a PR move to save face and that hasn’t happened yet.

I absolutely agree that Dimel should not come back if he goes 1-11 or 0-12. Heck... in my world where I’m AD I’d say he needs at least 3 wins, but I do think he’s coming back. It has nothing to do with his performance and everything to do with his contract. Will UTEP be willing and able to fire him with two years remaining on his contract during a pandemic? In my heart of hearts I want to believe they would but it’s going to be tough financially. Also, when you look at it coaches at least fire a coordinator as a PR move to save face and that hasn’t happened yet.

Everything depends on the COVID stuff. I don’t think they will play 12 games. I’d say 4-6 games at the most. So if he goes 0-4 or 0-6, I don’t know if he comes back. Would be a lot easier to justify than being 0-10, 1-11, or 0-12.

As far as money goes, if you’re Senter, he would have to de really dumb to think people will buy tickets to see Dimel for year 4 after an 0-12 season.

The best case scenario is that UTEP doesn’t play any games or they play NMSU plus the CUSA Texas schools. Rice and UTSA are “winnable”. On the bright side, if there is no season at all, it’s possible you chop a year off Dimels deal without having all the losses.

Everything depends on the COVID stuff. I don’t think they will play 12 games. I’d say 4-6 games at the most. So if he goes 0-4 or 0-6, I don’t know if he comes back. Would be a lot easier to justify than being 0-10, 1-11, or 0-12.

As far as money goes, if you’re Senter, he would have to de really dumb to think people will buy tickets to see Dimel for year 4 after an 0-12 season.

The best case scenario is that UTEP doesn’t play any games or they play NMSU plus the CUSA Texas schools. Rice and UTSA are “winnable”. On the bright side, if there is no season at all, it’s possible you chop a year off Dimels deal without having all the losses.

The uncertainty is what’s the kicker here. Unfortunately the fan base is nonexistent so you can’t really say his seat is getting hot because there is little to no fan support at the moment. Senter signed him to this deal after hearing Dimel do his best sales pitch. That right there leads me to believe he is buying into the process on some level and he’s not willing to budge just yet. I may feel confident he may be out if coaches get the boot because that hasn’t even happened yet.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Gotta give him this. Bob Stull was one helluva good coach while at UTEP. He turned a perennial loser into a conference contender after just two seasons. Back when the WAC regularly fielded a couple top 20 teams. Looking back at his first season where we went 4-8 we were in most of those games where we ended up with an L. Could’ve just as easily been 8-4 that year. Considering 4 wins was the most since 1974, Stull orchestrated one hell of a program turnaround in his short stint. Glad I got to see that, because I’m not sure Miner football will ever see that kind of success again.
This is why I don’t sympathize with the Dimel took over a 0-12 program excuse. Stull took over a complete wreck. UTEP had not been to a bowl in 19 years and only had one season over .500 in that time frame. They went 33-150 in between the last bowl game and his first game as a HC. Price alone won more than 33 games by his 6th year here. I find it very hard to believe that Kugler, who’s responsible for the only winning season in the last 15 years, destroyed the program to a worse shape than what Stull inherited. He did it in only one year because by the end of year four he had already won 18 games.

I don’t expect 10 wins in a year but 1 FBS win in 2 years is completely unacceptable. Even by our low standards.

This is why I don’t sympathize with the Dimel took over a 0-12 program excuse. Stull took over a complete wreck. UTEP had not been to a bowl in 19 years and only had one season over .500 in that time frame. They went 33-150 in between the last bowl game and his first game as a HC. Price alone won more than 33 games by his 6th year here. I find it very hard to believe that Kugler, who’s responsible for the only winning season in the last 15 years, destroyed the program to a worse shape than what Stull inherited.

Different times man. In 1986, if you wanted to know how bad UTEP was, you had to go to a library and look in the yearly almanacs to look at conference standings. Sure, the players from the West were likely told how bad UTEP was, but players on the East, really had no way of looking at how bad that record was.

If I remember correctly, Stull recruited a good amount of east coast players, Kugler included. John Harvey was an east coast player too, who was here when Stull got here. Bill Yung left Stull others besides Harvey as well.

Today, any recruit can see how shitty UTEP is in 1 minute. They see the recruiting rankings and they’re probably only interested if we’re their lone D1 offer. Despite records, Kugler did leave Dimel with jack shit. Name 2 current Kugler players who are worth a damn.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Different times man. In 1986, if you wanted to know how bad UTEP was, you had to go to a library and look in the yearly almanacs to look at conference standings. Sure, the players from the West were likely told how bad UTEP was, but players on the East, really had no way of looking at how bad that record was.

If I remember correctly, Stull recruited a good amount of east coast players, Kugler included. John Harvey was an east coast player too, who was here when Stull got here. Bill Yung left Stull others besides Harvey as well.

Today, any recruit can see how shitty UTEP is in 1 minute. They see the recruiting rankings and they’re probably only interested if we’re their lone D1 offer. Despite records, Kugler did leave Dimel with jack shit. Name 2 current Kugler players who are worth a damn.
There’s not many players from Kugler left. Almost everyone’s graduated or transferred out. I guess Wadley and VanHook. The first year when we had a majority of Kugler players we were competitive in a lot of games. If in year three the blowouts continue can we really keep blaming it on Kugler’s players? He had three former UTEP recruits contributing in the NFL last season. That’s gotta be up there with the Price years.

Not exactly true. It had been since 1974 since UTEP had won 4 measley games in a season. Most of those seasons were 1 and 2 win seasons. You don’t think players asked what the school’s recent W-L history was like before they committed for the next four years of their lives?

You don’t think there were competing recruiters telling kids how atrocious of a program UTEP was?

UTEP, along with NMSU, was known as the worst football program in the nation for a stretch of time. The worst!!! Kids ****ing knew that. Makes Stull’s accomplishment all that much more impressive.

Stull also had an incredible staff:

Andy Reid--Needs no intro
Dirk Koetter--Former head coach of Tampa bay and current Offensive Coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons
Marty Mornhinweg-- Offensive Senior Consultant of the Eagles, Former OC of 49ers, Jets, Ravens, and head coach of the Lions

Also, some great players that became coaches:
Ken Flajel: Current Eagles Linebacker coach
David Toub: Asst Head Coach of the Chiefs
Mo Lattimore: Defensive Coordinator at KState for 35 years, retired in 2018.

Players in NFL
Tony Tolbert
Chris Jacke
Reggie Barret
Victor Bailey
And already said by NCAA John Harvey

I guess it was the perfect story where everything came together. Sad, but NCAA may be right, as it may not ever happen again.

You don’t think there were competing recruiters telling kids how atrocious of a program UTEP was?

I’m sure they did. Doesn’t mean UTEP recruiters couldn’t stretch the truth or smooth talk a player into coming down for a visit right? The WAC wasn’t on National TV a lot during the 80s. If you lived in New York, how would you know how bad UTEP was?

Before google, if someone said Jim Carrey worked at McDonalds before starring in the Mask, you would take their word for it. There was really no way to verify stuff. So a competing coach can say all they want about UTEP doesn’t mean, they could easily verify those claims.

Recruiting is about connections as well. Despite Yung’s record at UTEP, he left Stull with some talent. The same way Nord left it for Price. Kugler didn’t leave shit for Dimel. I guarantee you, the talent level is when Dimel took over, than when Stull did.

Reactions: Rocketsr
There’s not many players from Kugler left. Almost everyone’s graduated or transferred out. I guess Wadley and VanHook. The first year when we had a majority of Kugler players we were competitive in a lot of games. If in year three the blowouts continue can we really keep blaming it on Kugler’s players? He had three former UTEP recruits contributing in the NFL last season. That’s gotta be up there with the Price years.

This year is all on Dimel. He can’t blame Kugler any longer.

I’m sure they did. Doesn’t mean UTEP recruiters couldn’t stretch the truth or smooth talk a player into coming down for a visit right? The WAC wasn’t on National TV a lot during the 80s. If you lived in New York, how would you know how bad UTEP was?

Before google, if someone said Jim Carrey worked at McDonalds before starring in the Mask, you would take their word for it. There was really no way to verify stuff. So a competing coach can say all they want about UTEP doesn’t mean, they could easily verify those claims.

Recruiting is about connections as well. Despite Yung’s record at UTEP, he left Stull with some talent. The same way Nord left it for Price. Kugler didn’t leave shit for Dimel. I guarantee you, the talent level is when Dimel took over, than when Stull did.

If you intended to say the talent level that Dimel took over can’t compare to the level of talent Stull took over...I’d have to agree with you. However, the talent level of CUSA can’t compare with the talent level of the mid to late 80s WAC. Those two things kind of cancel each other out.

Kugler didn’t do Dimel any favors by leaving the cupboard stocked, however I’m not sure Dimel would know what to do with fully stocked roster anyway. This is all besides the point I made that Stull made a near miraculous turnaround of a turd fb program, which needs no comparison...as it has no comparison.

About verifying whether or not UTEP was any good or not, how do you say that with any seriousness? I took off to play college soccer at the very end of that era (Fall of 89). I had access to information to all soccer programs, including JUCO programs, through a publication called Soccer America. If I could tell you about Herkimer CC in New York, or Triton College in Illinois, I promise you, recruits had access to all the info they needed in regards to a cfb program, and then some, to make an informed decision. Just sayin.

If you intended to say the talent level that Dimel took over can’t compare to the level of talent Stull took over...I’d have to agree with you. However, the talent level of CUSA can’t compare with the talent level of the mid to late 80s WAC. Those two things kind of cancel each other out.

Kugler didn’t do Dimel any favors by leaving the cupboard stocked, however I’m not sure Dimel would know what to do with fully stocked roster anyway. This is all besides the point I made that Stull made a near miraculous turnaround of a turd fb program, which needs no comparison...as it has no comparison.

About verifying whether or not UTEP was any good or not, how do you say that with any seriousness? I took off to play college soccer at the very end of that era (Fall of 89). I had access to information to all soccer programs, including JUCO programs, through a publication called Soccer America. If I could tell you about Herkimer CC in New York, or Triton College in Illinois, I promise you, recruits had access to all the info they needed in regards to a cfb program, and then some, to make an informed decision. Just sayin.

I don’t know anything about your background, but do you think the stereotypical “black high school kid” had the access to the football equivalent of soccer America? I looked into getting a subscription to SA several years ago and it was like $100 for less 12 issues or something outrageous like that.

I’m not going to go on and on about it. This is what I believe.

Stull had more left to him than Dimel did
Stull did an excellent job as coach here
Dimel has done a poor job, outside of the poor roster he inherited.

I don’t know anything about your background, but do you think the stereotypical “black high school kid” had the access to the football equivalent of soccer America? I looked into getting a subscription to SA several years ago and it was like $100 for less 12 issues or something outrageous like that.

Back in the 80s publications were pretty cheap. Besides, it wasn’t even my SA. I got the mag from a club coach helping me out. I was just looking for an opportunity to play at the next level. With that said, yes I think any HS fb player had an abundance of info with which to make their choice. My point was, if I could find info about soccer, and even JUCO soccer, imagine the amount of info that was available about college football programs. It only makes sense. Anyway...

Last edited:
Would Pat Hegarty count as an NFL player? I don't know if he ever played a down in the regular season, but spent time with the Broncos behind Elway and Kubiak.

I know Clarence Seay played a season in the WLAF with Raleigh-Durham after a preseason with Philadelphia. James Spady was with the Denver Dynamite in the old Arena league back when they had the colorful uniforms.

Charlotte is going to announce a rebrand next week. I hope this isn’t a leak from it. It looks like green UTEP.

Imagine what’s going to happen once you have full team workouts and traveling to and from games? If the season continues as planned keeping players from getting infected may prove to be as important if not more important than the strategy. If a team loses several players due to quarantine I would think it could mean the loss in a game between two equal teams.

Very few people are taking it seriously, especially young people. They’re the ones ruining for themselves. Taking a year of football away from themselves.

F*ck them and their wannabe UTEP helmets and pickaxe hand sign. New rivals...
If you read the thread on Twitter it seems like the fans hate it too.

Trust me here, ain’t nobody want to be a “wannabe UTEP”. Just because we’re the Miners doesn’t mean we own exclusive rights to a pick axe. Nobody wants to copy anything from a school who has gone 2-34 the last 3 years in football.

New rivals? They’re gonna be bigger than NMSU now too??????

Trust me here, ain’t nobody want to be a “wannabe UTEP”. Just because we’re the Miners doesn’t mean we own exclusive rights to a pick axe. Nobody wants to copy anything from a school who has gone 2-34 the last 3 years in football.

New rivals? They’re gonna be bigger than NMSU now too??????

I think it's funny how people care so much if other schools "steal" the pick axe symbol.

Charlotte is going to announce a rebrand next week. I hope this isn’t a leak from it. It looks like green UTEP.

Almost looks like Eastern Michigan or Michigan State's helmets. Those have an E and an S respectively. This one is the same with a C.

I hate ours. I liked the Paydirt Pete logo. Wouldn't be surprised if Paydirt Pete offends someone and they have to get rid of him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT