ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't have a football season

I don’t know, we’ll see. Hawaii has to play someone unless they decide to sit it out themselves.

Maybe they will play all the games on the mainland. Who knows. I don't think any college football will be played in 2020, so they might get lucky if they play in January.

I think if at least 8 games can't be played no games will be played. The goal of the season is to crown a National Champion for schools like Alabama.

For UTEP it wouldn't make sense to play without fans.

That’s a good point. Right now it seems like conferences are doing there own thing. With the Pac 12 going to a conference only schedule, what happens if another conference decides to play all their games? Or if a school like NMSU or ND is unable to fill their schedule? Also what about bowls? Are those out of the question? And if not how many wins guarantees eligibility?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
That’s a good point. Right now it seems like conferences are doing there own thing. With the Pac 12 going to a conference only schedule, what happens if another conference decides to play all their games? Or if a school like NMSU or ND is unable to fill their schedule? Also what about bowls? Are those out of the question? And if not how many wins guarantees eligibility?

My guess is just the National Championship, Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Sugar Bowl will be played.

No different than when Marshawn Lynch said “I’m just here so I won’t get fined” or when Belicheck said “We’re on to Cincinnati”
In the EP market I don't see the point of asking the tough questions. At the end of the season whether the coach wins 1 or 10 games they'll still be the coach. I don't get any joy from hearing our coach apologize every week and say we'll be better next week.

In the EP market I don't see the point of asking the tough questions. At the end of the season whether the coach wins 1 or 10 games they'll still be the coach. I don't get any joy from hearing our coach apologize every week and say we'll be better next week.

It’s just frustrating to not hear tough questions asked. It will end up badly for the asker, though it doesn’t at real schools. At UTEP, you will either get attacked by the coach or get banned from access all together. That’s such a chicken shit move. So KROD’s employees can only ask softball questions, just sounds like a damn infomercial.

It’s just frustrating to not hear tough questions asked. It will end up badly for the asker, though it doesn’t at real schools. At UTEP, you will either get attacked by the coach or get banned from access all together. That’s such a chicken shit move. So KROD’s employees can only ask softball questions, just sounds like a damn infomercial.
I would like a one on one interview with Senter. Put him on record to what he expects Dimel and Terry to accomplish in year 3 that shows the programs are headed in the right direction.

I would like a one on one interview with Senter. Put him on record to what he expects Dimel and Terry to accomplish in year 3 that shows the programs are headed in the right direction.

Yeah, but even if you did, Senter would give the line “success isn’t measured with wins and losses”. We can’t really expect him to say “Dimel needs 4 plus wins to be coach in 2021”. However, he could say something like “This is a crucial year and vast improvement is expected”.

He would need to have a legitimate conversation with a big booster and info would need to be overheard or leaked, for his true thoughts.

Yeah, but even if you did, Senter would give the line “success isn’t measured with wins and losses”. We can’t really expect him to say “Dimel needs 4 plus wins to be coach in 2021”. However, he could say something like “This is a crucial year and vast improvement is expected”.

He would need to have a legitimate conversation with a big booster and info would need to be overheard or leaked, for his true thoughts.
Forget W/L, how about being competitive in games? Last year there was only one game that we lost by one possession. The other 10 games were not really that close. In 2018 we were competitive in three games. One would assume that with fewer Kugler players and more Dimel players those stats should be reversed. I see us trending backwards and most are ok with it, because obviously Kugler left us a d4 roster and we need half a decade just to get back to 2-10.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Forget W/L, how about being competitive in games? Last year there was only one game that we lost by one possession. The other 10 games were not really that close. In 2018 we were competitive in three games. One would assume that with fewer Kugler players and more Dimel players those stats should be reversed. I see us trending backwards and most are ok with it, because obviously Kugler left us a d4 roster and we need half a decade just to get back to 2-10.

Assuming things get back to normal, I think UTEP should have one more football coach after Dimel. One last try, if not shut it the fvck down or drop to FCS. We’ve gotten to the point where 2 to 3 wins is a successful season and the AD seems content with awful seasons.

Assuming things get back to normal, I think UTEP should have one more football coach after Dimel. One last try, if not shut it the fvck down or drop to FCS. We’ve gotten to the point where 2 to 3 wins is a successful season and the AD seems content with awful seasons.
The sad thing is that I firmly believe we would be a bottom dweller in FCS too. We don't take advantage of weaker competition, we plunge ahead of them.

The sad thing is that I firmly believe we would be a bottom dweller in FCS too. We don't take advantage of weaker competition, we plunge ahead of them.

Depends on our conference/schedule. I don’t think UTEP would be Top 25 every year, but they would be Top 25 more often than they are in FBS.

Depends on our conference/schedule. I don’t think UTEP would be Top 25 every year, but they would be Top 25 more often than they are in FBS.
I don't think so. If we end up in the Southland, we would compete with HBU for last place. Until UTEP proves otherwise, they are a bottom dwelling team in almost every D1 football conference in America.

I don't think so. If we end up in the Southland, we would compete with HBU for last place. Until UTEP proves otherwise, they are a bottom dwelling team in almost every D1 football conference in America.

If that’s the way you feel, I have to question why you’re so against being Independent in football. Houston Baptist sucks way more than UTEP ever could.

I wouldn't go that far.
The results speak for themselves. We have every possible advantage over FCS teams. The last two wins vs fcs team weren't decided until the 4th. The other team beat us by two possessions. We're not even playing the good fcs teams just a couple of teams around .500. Imagine if we were regulated to the same metrics as fcs teams. It wouldn't take long for them to pass us the same way the recent fcs to fbs teams passed us.

The results speak for themselves. We have every possible advantage over FCS teams. The last two wins vs fcs team weren't decided until the 4th. The other team beat us by two possessions. We're not even playing the good fcs teams just a couple of teams around .500. Imagine if we were regulated to the same metrics as fcs teams. It wouldn't take long for them to pass us the same way the recent fcs to fbs teams passed us.

I still don't think UTEP would be a last place team every year in FCS.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
If that’s the way you feel, I have to question why you’re so against being Independent in football. Houston Baptist sucks way more than UTEP ever could.
As a team in the middle of nowhere, I don't think adding more problems to the athletic department is the way to fix it.

If you think that way that's fine.

I think UTEP would be at the top or in the middle every year.
I'm realistic. The top teams in the Southland would bully us. Once UTEP can blowout the bottom Southland teams, it might convince me otherwise. Until then all we have is the actual results.

As a team in the middle of nowhere, I don't think adding more problems to the athletic department is the way to fix it.

This isn’t 1950 though. We’re on the far edge of CUSA by ourselves, that’s not good either. North Dakota St can dominate FCS in a state with the same population as El Paso. Location is just an excuse.

If the choice came down to 1992s WAC with FB indy or FCS, I would take the WAC and FB indy. FCS will not spark much interest, even if winning. FBS when winning, well we have all seen how El Paso will embrace the Miners in that situation. If we look at CUSA west as our conference, it's not that bad for now.

The FB schedule this year offers a pretty regional flavor, sad that it likely won't be played. With NMSU, TT, Texas, UNT, UTSA and Rice, you can't have a schedule that is much more regional than that for El Paso.

1992 is right that we need at least one more coach after Dimel to take a shot at success. Personally, I don't think UTEP should ever give up. Keep trying but for God's sake, hire someone that gives the locals some hope that things will change. Someone with a successful past. Maybe someone that is wild and flamboyant. Whatever it takes. We had some success with Bobby Dobbs (who had success in Canadian FB and had the wild ass thought that FB should be entertaining), Bob Stull (who had some previous success at the 1-AA level), Mike Price (who had success at WSU and was a great personality), etc.

If the choice came down to 1992s WAC with FB indy or FCS, I would take the WAC and FB indy. FCS will not spark much interest, even if winning. FBS when winning, well we have all seen how El Paso will embrace the Miners in that situation. If we look at CUSA west as our conference, it's not that bad for now.

The FB schedule this year offers a pretty regional flavor, sad that it likely won't be played. With NMSU, TT, Texas, UNT, UTSA and Rice, you can't have a schedule that is much more regional than that for El Paso.

1992 is right that we need at least one more coach after Dimel to take a shot at success. Personally, I don't think UTEP should ever give up. Keep trying but for God's sake, hire someone that gives the locals some hope that things will change. Someone with a successful past. Maybe someone that is wild and flamboyant. Whatever it takes. We had some success with Bobby Dobbs (who had success in Canadian FB and had the wild ass thought that FB should be entertaining), Bob Stull (who had some previous success at the 1-AA level), Mike Price (who had success at WSU and was a great personality), etc.

We’ve been trying for 50 years and we’ve only been marginally successful 1/5 of those. No other business would still remain if they were successful 1 out of every 5 years. Mike Price was a National coach of the year and he wasn’t really successful here. He was only successful by UTEP’s very low standards.

Our next hire should be a young, up and coming assistant. If he can’t do it, then the viability of the program needs to be thoroughly examined.

This isn’t 1950 though. We’re on the far edge of CUSA by ourselves, that’s not good either. North Dakota St can dominate FCS in a state with the same population as El Paso. Location is just an excuse.
No location is not an excuse. There’s only three G5 schools in our region. Finding and Scheduling 8 extra games a year will create unnecessary problems that we don’t need. As much as you and AB want to say that nmsu has it easy scheduling teams, that is simply not true.

No location is not an excuse. There’s only three G5 schools in our region. Finding and Scheduling 8 extra games a year will create unnecessary problems that we don’t need. As much as you and AB want to say that nmsu has it easy scheduling teams, that is simply not true.

I don’t believe I have said it was “easy”, but if NMSU can do an Indy schedule then UTEP could too. As I stated before, if you’re not going bowling or competing for conference/division titles, then opponents and conferences don’t matter.

If the choice came down to 1992s WAC with FB indy or FCS, I would take the WAC and FB indy. FCS will not spark much interest, even if winning

Exactly. It's like when the Diablos went to Indy ball. Nobody went because of the caliber of the players. Sure there were former and future Major Leaguers playing, but the overall play is nothing compared to AAA.

I don’t believe I have said it was “easy”, but if NMSU can do an Indy schedule then UTEP could too. As I stated before, if you’re not going bowling or competing for conference/division titles, then opponents and conferences don’t matter.

Exactly. Nobody said it it easy, but it's not hard either. I showed you the evidence of NMSU's future schedules.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Sure we could and it would suck. It’s not fan friendly at all. Next year the nmsu schedule has one home game from Oct 2 to November 20th. Why give up on trying to win conference/division titles? I’ve never experienced a bowl win but to me the best season was when we were WAC champions. I don’t think going 6-6 and winning the whatever bowl would produce the same dopamine as a conference title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT