ADVERTISEMENT

If we lose to HBU...

Cube Jack

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
I'm not saying UTEP "will" lose to Houston Baptist, but imagining a worst case scenario if it were to happen...

I imagine it would mean we're in for another 1-win season and could be devastating for attendance. The student section is already empty so I imagine we'd be looking at maybe 9000 per game officially.

I remember all the bragging and clowning NAU did before coming here and it was humiliating to watch them come in and do exactly what they bragged they'd do.

The last time UTEP won in the Sun Bowl a guy named Obama was President. It was November 26, 2016. Aaron Jones ran for 301 yards and 4 TDs and was pulled in the third quarter to a standing ovation. UTEP beat UNT 52-24 that day.

I know it is just Houston Baptist, but I think this is an important game for the program. The team and fans would just love to see a win again

Reactions: FarWestTexas
If we dont win. Senter and Dimel need to be fired immediately. I dont even want to contemplate how disastrous a loss to HBU would be. They are a really bad FCS team.

Last edited:
If we dont win. Senter and Dimel need to be fired immediately. I dont even want to contemplate how disastrous a loss to HBU would be. They are a really bad FCS team.
At least Dimel should be fired and this time a coach with an offensive mindset needs to be hired. But hopefully the Miners beat HBU and 5 others to become bowl eligible.

Worst come to worst, Canales may be gone. We all know coordinators get the axe before the HC. But with that being said I am still giving him a pass in this second year. I think they’ll be more competitive, and improved but I am not expecting miracles at the same time. I wonder what is a reasonable expectation in year 2? I say 3-4 wins, but with that being said a win vs HBU should be a given.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cube Jack
Cal Poly 34
UTEP 13
September 6, 2003

The beginning of the end of the Gary Nord era.

I will never forget listening to Teich and Bernie taking phone calls past midnight because Miner fans were in the dumps after that game.

But those two win seasons in 01 & 02 didn’t help. We all had high hopes for that 01 team coming off a conference co-championship and the wheels fell off big time.

For some reason I never viewed the 2000 season as all that great. Of course considering the timeperiod was when I was a very pessimistic person in general. The season started with two out of the first three games being big losses, but of course those teams were Oklahoma and Texas A&M. That season ended with a humiliating blowout loss to TCU and LaDainian Tomlinson, the man UTEP made famous. After that of course was the 15-point loss to Boise State in the humanitarian Bowl

For some reason I never viewed the 2000 season as all that great. Of course considering the timeperiod was when I was a very pessimistic person in general. The season started with two out of the first three games being big losses, but of course those teams were Oklahoma and Texas A&M. That season ended with a humiliating blowout loss to TCU and LaDainian Tomlinson, the man UTEP made famous. After that of course was the 15-point loss to Boise State in the humanitarian Bowl

Those 3 losses during the season were to some really good teams. Oklahoma was obviously the National Champs and if I remember correctly UTEP was the first non conference opponent in however many years to lead at the half in College Station. The TCU game was a letdown in my eyes but Tomlinson is probably one of the greatest RBs of the last 25 years. And the Boise St. game was essentially a home game for them and it was cold as hell. I met one the players on that 2000 team a while back (I cant remember his name) and I asked him about that game. He told me it was so cold during the game and they were screwed.

But that 2000 UTEP won the program’s 2nd conference title and produced an All-American at TE. The city went crazy for that team, and it really showed that El Pasoans will support the program.

It is true that the season didn't start great, then again, that Oklahoma team went on to win a national championship. And yes, we ended the season poorly. But even following that team from afar in San Diego, where I was living at the time, it was a lot of fun in between.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I'm not saying UTEP "will" lose to Houston Baptist, but imagining a worst case scenario if it were to happen...

I imagine it would mean we're in for another 1-win season and could be devastating for attendance. The student section is already empty so I imagine we'd be looking at maybe 9000 per game officially.

I remember all the bragging and clowning NAU did before coming here and it was humiliating to watch them come in and do exactly what they bragged they'd do.

The last time UTEP won in the Sun Bowl a guy named Obama was President. It was November 26, 2016. Aaron Jones ran for 301 yards and 4 TDs and was pulled in the third quarter to a standing ovation. UTEP beat UNT 52-24 that day.

I know it is just Houston Baptist, but I think this is an important game for the program. The team and fans would just love to see a win again
Ah, the good ol "Cal Poly" type scenario. If the assistants do their job like their supposed to they would make sure the week leading up to the game has focus, proper rest, game film study, hydration, and Friday everyone's fanny is in bed at curfew.

No excuses for UTEP, but NAU was a loaded FCS team last year and knew they had better skilled players than UTEP at certain positions and used them with efficiency, especially at qb. Our offensive line was the first to go down and quiet simply NAU popped UTEP in the mouth from the first snap. The game had the right ingredients for an upset.

It is true that the season didn't start great, then again, that Oklahoma team went on to win a national championship. And yes, we ended the season poorly. But even following that team from afar in San Diego, where I was living at the time, it was a lot of fun in between.

And the tailgates were insane too, especially because they were under the old rules. I remember walking out one game and people lit road flares and there was some huge DJ set up. It was insane.

Ah, the good ol "Cal Poly" type scenario. If the assistants do their job like their supposed to they would make sure the week leading up to the game has focus, proper rest, game film study, hydration, and Friday everyone's fanny is in bed at curfew.

No excuses for UTEP, but NAU was a loaded FCS team last year and knew they had better skilled players than UTEP at certain positions and used them with efficiency, especially at qb. Our offensive line was the first to go down and quiet simply NAU popped UTEP in the mouth from the first snap. The game had the right ingredients for an upset.

Game 1 of the new offensive/defensive system didn’t help either. I really want to believe that with another year of the system under their belts and a 2nd offseason to work and get stronger, and with some of the recruits ready to contribute that The Miners come ready to not only win but dominate HBU. But at the same time with 2 players arrested in the offseason I wonder how focused some players are off the field.

No pass for losing to Houston Baptist in year two. That would be a disaster and would mean UTEP is actually getting worse. Immediate fire.

A loss to HBU is inexcusable, I agree. They’re coming off of consecutive 1 win seasons, so in a lot of ways they’re just as bad if not worse than The Miners. If we can’t beat these guys we’re in deep trouble.

Their D gave up almost 44 ppg last year and over 200 ypg rushing so that bodes well for The Miners. They should give the ball to Wadley and Hankins all game.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Reactions: minerfan_14
A loss to HBU is inexcusable, I agree. They’re coming off of consecutive 1 win seasons, so in a lot of ways they’re just as bad if not worse than The Miners. If we can’t beat these guys we’re in deep trouble.

Their D gave up almost 44 ppg last year and over 200 ypg rushing so that bodes well for The Miners. They should give the ball to Wadley and Hankins all game.

I wonder if Hankins was the real reason for Josh Fields leaving town...

HBU has been abysmal these last two seasons, as has UTEP. I'm hoping we see UTEP step up as an D1 FBS program here. Losing this game would be crushing for the season.

I wonder if Hankins was the real reason for Josh Fields leaving town...

HBU has been abysmal these last two seasons, as has UTEP. I'm hoping we see UTEP step up as an D1 FBS program here. Losing this game would be crushing for the season.

Fields got less playing time last year but I can’t imagine he did himself any favors averaging 1.8 yards per rush which was by far the worst of any back. It’s possible that with Wadley and Hughes set as the 1-2 back and Hankins coming in he may have felt he was in line for even less touches.

But at the same time Wadley and Hughes are Seniors and in 2020 it would have been him and Hankins. And even then injuries/poor play could have thrust him into a larger role this coming season. I would think he’d have every chance to establish himself this season and next season, but only he knows the real reason.

It showed that El Paso will pull up to the bandwagon, not that El Pasoan's really supported the (football) program. It's a what have you done for me lately kinda town.

I get what you’re saying. I hated watching all those Miner fans showing up to games in the mid 2000s with their perfect orange shirts because they had never been washed. But at the same it’s hard to expect fans/alumni to give money/go to games when the on the field product is so poor. These last couple of seasons, how many people on this board threatened/have cancelled season tickets because the teams sucked? Even our patience is wearing thin.

I think we can all agree that we would love to see a packed Sun Bowl and a consistent winner at UTEP and at the end of the day the vast majority of fans in that scenario will inevitably be bandwagon fans. They will probably claim that they were at the games under Kugler just like every other Miner fan claims that they were at that BYU game in ‘85 or every other Cowboy fan in the 90s claimed that they were there during the 1-15 year. It is what it is and that’s not just an El Paso thing.

Look at bigger college programs. I love nothing more than to watch college football on Saturday and to watch a good/big program lose. As a Miner fan I love watching the crowd all dumbfounded and butthurt because their mega program lost 1 game. Then you see fans online crying and saying that they will never support the team again or they should fire their coach because god forbid they are not going to win a National Title. Every fan base has them and if UTEP wins then they will all come back.

I like bandwagon fans. Look at WKU back to back top 25 seasons and CUSA champions. Only 13k showed up for the championship game. Give us those results and not only would we sell out the sun bowl we would also have 12k at the Don Haskins watch party.

Game 1 of the new offensive/defensive system didn’t help either. I really want to believe that with another year of the system under their belts and a 2nd offseason to work and get stronger, and with some of the recruits ready to contribute that The Miners come ready to not only win but dominate HBU. But at the same time with 2 players arrested in the offseason I wonder how focused some players are off the field.
I totally agree with you 8106. Players going down from injury rallies the troops and the team was so decimated last year that UTEP played inspired football, at times, last year because it was a "quit now or die here with our boots on" mentality and the UAB game was a great example.

However, arrests are a different matter. Players know their team mates make stupid mistakes but if not handled right by the staff it could become a bid deal. Right now, since UTEP as officially and administratively put a 6 inch steel plate on anything unbecoming or puts a stain on athletics I think it hurts those that do support UTEP athletics. Get your fanny in from the mic and video and tell people how you will handle this. You're a state public institution, you're obligated to say something. Coach Canales putting KL in a twitter photo three days later and all smiles with the team is just plain stupid and horrid PR. Robert Acunto is the UTEP Asst for External Relations, shouldn't his face be all over the media saying something? Seems to me it just a "we answer to season ticket holders and screw the rest of you. A need to know basis is all you need to know". Like I said, UTEP has Baylor'ed this entire mess. Oh well! Guess they're happy with 10 to 15 thousand in the stands?

Wow. A discussion about possibly losing to HBU. How far this program has fallen.

Again.

Or has it never gotten back up off the ground?

I totally agree with you 8106. Players going down from injury rallies the troops and the team was so decimated last year that UTEP played inspired football, at times, last year because it was a "quit now or die here with our boots on" mentality and the UAB game was a great example.

However, arrests are a different matter. Players know their team mates make stupid mistakes but if not handled right by the staff it could become a bid deal. Right now, since UTEP as officially and administratively put a 6 inch steel plate on anything unbecoming or puts a stain on athletics I think it hurts those that do support UTEP athletics. Get your fanny in from the mic and video and tell people how you will handle this. You're a state public institution, you're obligated to say something. Coach Canales putting KL in a twitter photo three days later and all smiles with the team is just plain stupid and horrid PR. Robert Acunto is the UTEP Asst for External Relations, shouldn't his face be all over the media saying something? Seems to me it just a "we answer to season ticket holders and screw the rest of you. A need to know basis is all you need to know". Like I said, UTEP has Baylor'ed this entire mess. Oh well! Guess they're happy with 10 to 15 thousand in the stands?

I’ve gone back and forth with the whole Kai Locksley situation so I apologize if I contradict some earlier posts. I do agree that Canales’ photo looks bad, especially when UTEP said that he was immediately suspended following his arrest. I think in today’s world where you’re under such a microscope with social media it would have been a better idea not to say/post anything.

I wouldn’t say that UTEP has Baylor’ed this situation, just because they are waiting to see how this all plays out in court which I can understand. I am in no way trying to downplay what he’s been accused of but UTEP’s handling of this situation is nowhere near Baylor’s.

https://deadspin.com/how-baylor-happened-1828372303

Reactions: minerfan_14
Is there anyone here who does NOT think Kai Locksley will be the opening day starter?

I will be shocked. There is no way they can avoid suspending him. He was driving drunk, with an unregistered firearm and threatened to shoot people. If Dimel let's him play that would take away all his credibility with the team and fan base. If he doesnt get suspended what gets you suspended Rape? Murder? It pains me to see someone throw away a second chance. Locksley seem hell bent on it. There have to be repercussions for your actions. He should have been expelled the day after it happened. The unregistered weapon and threat to use push this way over the top for me.

I will be shocked. There is no way they can avoid suspending him. He was driving drunk, with an unregistered firearm and threatened to shoot people. If Dimel let's him play that would take away all his credibility with the team and fan base. If he doesnt get suspended what gets you suspended Rape? Murder? It pains me to see someone throw away a second chance. Locksley seem hell bent on it. There have to be repercussions for your actions. He should have been expelled the day after it happened. The unregistered weapon and threat to use push this way over the top for me.

I wonder if he'll be in uniform in case the game starts to go south to run in to applause in the 2nd or 3rd.

As long as there's a legal case pending he won't be able to play IMO. If all charges are dropped then yes, he'll play, but not before then.

No court date = Dimel has a clear legal UTEP policy and can afford to withhold judgement on his final determination, meaning he can keep him in uniform and on the sidelines at the very least until adjudicated by UTEP administration or by D.A. office (or any other jurisdictional authority)

But as of right now all Dimel has was a)he was out past curfew (if in place at that the time of alleged criminal conduct) and b) did he violate any UTEP student athlete policy for possession of an illegal firearm? He did this off UTEP grounds and is there anything in writing for UTEP athletes? According to police reports, the officer literally saw him pull out the weapon which leads to c) how did he not notice the police? My understanding is they were not hidden but in plain site. KL was so damn high that he didn't even see them which leads to d) his use of weed which is still prosecuted in Texas (as clearly laid out via media two days ago by Gov. Abbott and DA Jaime Esparza, love them or hate them).

He's the starting QB for a FBS college team and that carries weight. In all fairness, Dimel should not throw him off the team until the courts decide because police reports do have holes in them and KL is innocent as of right now in our civil court system and he will get good counsel I'm sure. Right now, he should just be a padded up, towel swinging motivator for the team from the sidelines. Also, he has no priors which the judges take into heavy consideration, personal friend and family testimonies, has a gut wrenching life story (brother) and goes to school and involved in the community (through UTEP athletics).

My full of crap analysis: Two year probation (could face up to two years in jail for first offense but he is in no way habitual nor priors), $500 fine since he is a "non-felon" and first timer.(18 U.S.C. § 922(g) via Google).

With all that bullshit I just said, he will start against HBU and have a career game.

They will probably claim that they were at the games under Kugler just like every other Miner fan claims that they were at that BYU game in ‘85 or every other Cowboy fan in the 90s claimed that they were there during the 1-15 year.
But I was at that BYU game and I was a huge Cowboys fan even during the 1-15 year.

I was even at the Cal Poly game. :eek:

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
But I was at that BYU game and I was a huge Cowboys fan even during the 1-15 year.

I was even at the Cal Poly game. :eek:
It was Halloween weekend for that BYU game. There better not be photos of you dressed up in something you now regret? LOL! I'm just kidding. :p

But as of right now all Dimel has was a)he was out past curfew (if in place at that the time of alleged criminal conduct) and b) did he violate any UTEP student athlete policy for possession of an illegal firearm? He did this off UTEP grounds and
He's the starting QB for a FBS college team and that carries weight. In all fairness, Dimel should not throw him off the team until the courts decide because police reports do have holes in them and KL is innocent as of right now in our civil court system and he will get good counsel I'm sure. Right now, he should just be a padded up, towel swinging motivator for the team from the sidelines. Also, he has no priors which the judges take into heavy consideration, personal friend and family testimonies, has a gut wrenching life story (brother) and goes to school and involved in the community (through UTEP athletics).

My full of crap analysis: Two year probation (could face up to two years in jail for first offense but he is in no way habitual nor priors), $500 fine since he is a "non-felon" and first timer.(18 U.S.C. § 922(g) via Google).

With all that bullshit I just said, he will start against HBU and have a career game.[/QUOTE]
No court date = Dimel has a clear legal UTEP policy and can afford to withhold judgement on his final determination, meaning he can keep him in uniform and on the sidelines at the very least until adjudicated by UTEP administration or by D.A. office (or any other jurisdictional authority)

But as of right now all Dimel has was a)he was out past curfew (if in place at that the time of alleged criminal conduct) and b) did he violate any UTEP student athlete policy for possession of an illegal firearm? He did this off UTEP grounds and is there anything in writing for UTEP athletes? According to police reports, the officer literally saw him pull out the weapon which leads to c) how did he not notice the police? My understanding is they were not hidden but in plain site. KL was so damn high that he didn't even see them which leads to d) his use of weed which is still prosecuted in Texas (as clearly laid out via media two days ago by Gov. Abbott and DA Jaime Esparza, love them or hate them).

With all that bullshit I just said, he will start against HBU and have a career game.

That he is a starting qb for an fbs team carries weight? Do you mean he has a higher level of responsibility or do you mean he gets more of a free pass??

There is no way in the world it should matter if you play football or not...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT