ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT BASKETBALL GAME

I against PineBluff there shouldn’t be any reason to give the bench a majority of the minutes.

Reactions: minerfan_14
How about just watching what CRT does and enjoying the ride.
This^
5 games in and some are acting as if it’s the end of the season
giphy.gif

Best starting 5:
Efe
Williams
Edwards
Lathon
Hawkins

Off the bench:
Boum
Archie
Verhoeven
Stroud
Villa
Tarke

Reactions: axingfools1
Right now, we have Lathon and Boum shooting 17% and 18% from three point range, respectively. Out of the guys on the bench, I think Hawkins gives us the best threat from the perimeter. Based on Terry's limited use of the bench up to this point against better opponents, I think we better hope Lathon and Boum are able to find the range soon.

We’re gonna find out if RT is stubborn, or is an experimental guy this weekend.

Yo, Roy, the message board on minerrush is pretty dead. Are you trying to resurrect it? You lead on in a different thread about posting something out there...

Right now, we have Lathon and Boum shooting 17% and 18% from three point range, respectively. Out of the guys on the bench, I think Hawkins gives us the best threat from the perimeter. Based on Terry's limited use of the bench up to this point against better opponents, I think we better hope Lathon and Boum are able to find the range soon.

Hawkins may indeed be a better shooter, but it's hard to say. His shooting has been pretty inconsistent since his freshman year, honestly. He seems like a boum type player, meaning he's very streaky

Reactions: Lil_Train
My basic reasoning for the thought that Terry try some alternatives is not because as some have suggested I'm ready to tank the season. On the contrary; I'm expecting way more than what I've seen and I know it's there!
Boum is 18 for 58 overall from the field 31%.
That's 40 missed shots which might as
we'll be 40 turnovers in 191 minutes.
Vila is 9 of 31 overall; 29% in 167 minutes
Lathon is 15 of 41 overall; 36% in 166
minutes

Hawkins is 7 of 18 39% 79 minutes
Odegie is 18 of 29 62% 99 minutes
Tarke is 5 of 9 56% in 34 minutes

I know the potential is there for Boum, but how long should we wait for it while others are sitting? Vila I'm not sure about him at all, but at 6-11 he should provide something and Lathon is a mystery as he's been in some kind of funk lately. In addition, hopefully we'll see a lot more of Stroud and Archie.
At this point, I'm not sure we'll ever have a perimeter game other than Edwards and Williams.

My basic reasoning for the thought that Terry try some alternatives is not because as some have suggested I'm ready to tank the season. On the contrary; I'm expecting way more than what I've seen and I know it's there!
Boum is 18 for 58 overall from the field 31%.
That's 40 missed shots which might as
we'll be 40 turnovers in 191 minutes.
Vila is 9 of 31 overall; 29% in 167 minutes
Lathon is 15 of 41 overall; 36% in 166
minutes

Hawkins is 7 of 18 39% 79 minutes
Odegie is 18 of 29 62% 99 minutes
Tarke is 5 of 9 56% in 34 minutes

I know the potential is there for Boum, but how long should we wait for it while others are sitting? Vila I'm not sure about him at all, but at 6-11 he should provide something and Lathon is a mystery as he's been in some kind of funk lately. In addition, hopefully we'll see a lot more of Stroud and Archie.
At this point, I'm not sure we'll ever have a perimeter game other than Edwards and Williams.
Yep, the shooting percentages up to this point don't paint a pretty picture in that area, and as we know, most of our games have been at home. Even if we play elite defense, the poor shooting is going to cause problems.

On Archie, Stroud, and Tarke, I think each guy has been prone to turnovers. I think that is why Terry has hesitated to put them in the game; he doesn't trust them on the court versus better talent. While Vila and Boum haven't been great by any means, for the most part, they have taken decent care of the ball. Those other guys need to earn Terry's trust in practice first, and then we will see more of them against the better teams. The way Terry wants to play defense would be much more effective by using more depth. This is something he mentioned all the time last year.

Hawkins may indeed be a better shooter, but it's hard to say. His shooting has been pretty inconsistent since his freshman year, honestly. He seems like a boum type player, meaning he's very streaky

Hawkins so far has only had a freshman year, and very limited minutes as a sophomore. Yes, his shooting was very streaky as a freshman, but he's not a freshman anymore. We haven't had enough of chance to see if he worked on his shot and improved his consistency. And, while he was streaky, and very often off, as a freshman, he still had a better shooting percentage than Boum does now. Also, I've seen Hawkins go on a hot streak, several times. I have yet to see Boum so.

I want Hawkins to get significantly more minutes. Boum still needs to get minutes, as do Lathon and Edward's, and I hope Archie and Stroud start earning some minutes on the wing as well. We're supposed to have depth. I'd like to see us use that depth, and have our leaders in minutes played averaging closer to 30 minutes per game, rather than 36 to 38 minutes per game. I think that this is more sustainable over the course of a season.

Last edited:
Why Stroud? What have you seen that make you think he's ready? He's athletic, but not a D1 starter just yet.

I picked stroud just because of his athleticism... I think he could go in there and get some rebounds and use his length to play some decent defense... it’s based purely on athleticism.....

Hawkin's numbers would be better than Boum's with the same amount of minutes. I think we see a lot of Hawkins today. I'd really like to see him with the starters right now. With Efe at the 5, our interior defense and passing should be better too.

Last edited:
Hawkin's numbers would be better than Boum's with the same amount of minutes. I think we see a lot of Hawkins and today. I'd really like to see him with the starters right now. With Efe at the 5, our interior defense and passing should be better too.
We lost to NMSU last time because our starters ran out of gas by the end of the game. Shots were coming up short. Playing solid defense is a lot of work. We need to get more players into the rotation and tonight's game will help that. The Sun Carnival will help, too.

Hawkin's numbers would be better than Boum's with the same amount of minutes. I think we see a lot of Hawkins today. I'd really like to see him with the starters right now. With Efe at the 5, our interior defense and passing should be better too.
I rest my case. Boum's day will come, but when is the question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT