ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Return of the NBA

What does LeBron want the owners to do, he has more power than all the owners combined. That is just BS. on his part. I bet there are few people who even know who any of the owners are. Except for Cuban. Who are the owners of the Kings, Nuggets, Knicks, Heat, San Antonio, Hawks.

What does LeBron want the owners to do, he has more power than all the owners combined. That is just BS. on his part. I bet there are few people who even know who any of the owners are. Except for Cuban. Who are the owners of the Kings, Nuggets, Knicks, Heat, San Antonio, Hawks.

Absolutely. It’ll be interesting to see how he uses that power over the next few months. Boycotting the remainder of the season isn’t enough in and of itself. It’s a starting point. Let’s see where it goes from here. I’m truly curious.

great tweet by Jemele!

LOL. Lebron talked to his accountant and found out he wasn't going to get paid if they didn't play. Same reason they are mum on China, because their mansions have high property taxes.

Patrick Ewing said it best years ago during the strike: "Yeah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money."

So much for that biggest story/culturally since Muhammed Ali.

LOL. Lebron talked to his accountant and found out he wasn't going to get paid if they didn't play. Same reason they are mum on China, because their mansions have high property taxes.

More incorrect statements. Players had the option whether or not to go to the NBA campus. Every player knows not playing means not getting paid. Lebron James was one of the last holdouts to agree to resume the season. A decision was made by the players. Not accountants.

So much for that biggest story/culturally since Muhammed Ali.

No baseball on Fox. No basketball on ESPN. Players making the decisions. Not owners or executives. A commitment from team owners and actual dialogue with people of authority. The Bucks didn’t just sit out. They got the powers that be on the phone. So yes, this is a huge story. Progress is coming.

Why does everything have to be all or nothing all of a sudden?

Players are welcome to boycott their owners if they want or maybe demand contractual language changes regarding proven racism or 'danger'

Its obvious that some NBA players are falling victom to peer pressure, otherwise there wouldn't have been such an about-face so fast. People afraid to have their own opinions in certain industries now.

Last edited:
Its definitely a huge statement they have made. I think its bold and brave. I dont agree with the sentiment that owners should have same political views as the players. If you're going to say all players and all owners must have the same views, then that's not Liberty nor freedom.

A little off topic, but what I fail to understand is why the NBA TV ratings are down so much. With nothing but reruns on regular TV, no going out in public, etc. I was thrilled to have the NBA available.
My family is exhausting Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

A little off topic, but what I fail to understand is why the NBA TV ratings are down so much. With nothing but reruns on regular TV, no going out in public, etc. I was thrilled to have the NBA available.
My family is exhausting Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

It is really about where you get your info. NBA TV ratings are down but more people are watching on platforms other than television. Actual viewership is not necessarily down. I am an avid NBA consumer but I stream most of the games. I love NBA League Pass.

A lot of people aren’t used to looking for basketball in August. WWE and UFC are also down in the ratings but their respective networks are still thrilled with the viewership. TV ratings across the board are down. That is why live programming is king.

I googled NBA ratings and surprisingly the first full page of results were from conservative blogs. No TV or entertainment sites. Granted, I had just come from this thread so that might have influenced what google displayed first.

Overall, ratings for the playoffs are down 20 percent from last season, according to data collected from Real GM and ShowBuzz Daily.

Industry insiders mostly chalk up the decline in viewership to the abnormal season, with games being played in August and often during the daytime hours, when television viewership is generally down across the board.

SportsBusiness Daily reported in February that ratings for regular-season games had declined by 12 percent since the end of the 2018-19 season. That was during the NBA's normal calendar year and prior to the league suspending play because of the coronavirus pandemic.

All comparisons come with the disclaimer that this year’s NBA Playoffs are taking place four months later than originally scheduled, during a time of year in which fewer televisions are in use, and with the majority of games airing in unusual weekday afternoon timeslots.

TL/DR: Ratings are down. There are reasonable reasons why. If you come from a position where you don’t like outspoken black athletes, many of which are critical of the current POTUS, you can gloat that ratings are down.

Reactions: develman
The league and union announced Friday that the playoffs will resume Saturday. That announcement included a concrete promise from the league. Every team-owned arena will turn into a polling place for the November election in locations where that’s still legally possible in order for voters to have a large, COVID-safe place to vote in person.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200828-ywe4gy6ajbcpfoj6tcei57x3iq-story.html

I definitely don’t like baseball in empty stadiums. I do like the virtual fans at the NBA games. WWE just created a similar environment. It’s really odd watching MMA with no crowd noise.

I agree. But the ufc, and Bellator, have been a godsend and brought in a small sense of normalcy during the last few months. The Bellator card with Bader vs Nemkov was fairly entertaining last weekend.

Reactions: MistaBinks
The league and union announced Friday that the playoffs will resume Saturday. That announcement included a concrete promise from the league. Every team-owned arena will turn into a polling place for the November election in locations where that’s still legally possible in order for voters to have a large, COVID-safe place to vote in person.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200828-ywe4gy6ajbcpfoj6tcei57x3iq-story.html

But Jemele Hill said racism would cancel the NBA season!

I really have no issue what athletes are doing because at the end of the day people are entitled to their opinion, but you can’t compare Lebron to Ali. I know a lot of people will argue that Ali was a draft dodger but he lost the heavyweight title, three years of his career and tons of money. Whether or not you agree with his actions he was willing to pay a hefty price for his beliefs.

I really have no issue what athletes are doing because at the end of the day people are entitled to their opinion, but you can’t compare Lebron to Ali. I know a lot of people will argue that Ali was a draft dodger but he lost the heavyweight title, three years of his career and tons of money. Whether or not you agree with his actions he was willing to pay a hefty price for his beliefs.
Ali's fight was religious as well as racial, but he likely would have never become who he was without being in the U.S. it's a conundrum for some, but you have to look at the big picture.

Their oversized egos! I am willing to listen to anyone, but They think their so damn important that by not doing their job, it is going to change society.

But this the fundamental problem that many people have with individuals in entertainment and sports when they try to get overly political. I read where the NBA players were mad that more wasn’t being done to address the issues they brought up. But on the other hand should we look towards entertainers and athletes for moral guidance as a country? It is a little pompous to believe when an athlete speaks the country is going to drop everything and listen.

Why are you guys all upset about the NBA?

I am not upset, I just do not like the sports teams/leagues to do politics. If LeBron wants to post 20 times a day on his social media about political issues, then that’s fine with me. When a bunch of millionaires are “sitting out” and “protesting” games, I have a problem with that. In my opinion, the average fan tunes in to see the game, not their thoughts on anything else.

The people that this issue is really affecting, don’t give 2 shits about MLB and NHL players sitting out games. Most sports fans really don’t care if the Bucks/Magic 2pm weekday game is missed either. Only the truly devoted and non-political fan will be truly upset at the game being missed.

Like that MMA fighter said, these NBA players should quit their jobs and go sign up as inner city Chicago police and try and make a difference. Postponing a game 2 days, does absolutely nothing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT