ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Return of the NBA

I am not upset, I just do not like the sports teams/leagues to do politics. If LeBron wants to post 20 times a day on his social media about political issues, then that’s fine with me. When a bunch of millionaires are “sitting out” and “protesting” games, I have a problem with that. In my opinion, the average fan tunes in to see the game, not their thoughts on anything else.

The people that this issue is really affecting, don’t give 2 shits about MLB and NHL players sitting out games. Most sports fans really don’t care if the Bucks/Magic 2pm weekday game is missed either. Only the truly devoted and non-political fan will be truly upset at the game being missed.

Like that MMA fighter said, these NBA players should quit their jobs and go sign up as inner city Chicago police and try and make a difference. Postponing a game 2 days, does absolutely nothing!

https://www.ringtv.com/607108-john-molina-jr-finds-life-after-boxing-as-los-angeles-police-deputy/

John Molina Jr recently retired from professional boxing and became a LA Sheriff's Deputy.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Someone’s mind was/is already made up if they believe the boycott accomplished nothing. Commitments have already been made to the players that were not already in motion. Actual legislation. People noticed. More importantly, people in power noticed. The best people can come up with are ultimatums. America, love it or leave it! Quit your job and try being a cop! Nope. Black athletes will protest, critique, collect their paycheck, and continue to live here. They are making a difference as basketball players. Now, we might not want to give black athletes their due. Drew Brees is a good Christian man from a good family and he was brave when he spoke up. Black basketball players have oversized egos and need to shut up and dribble and/or become police officers.

Someone’s mind was/is already made up if they believe the boycott accomplished nothing. Commitments have already been made to the players that were not already in motion. Actual legislation. People noticed. More importantly, people in power noticed. The best people can come up with are ultimatums. America, love it or leave it! Quit your job and try being a cop! Nope. Black athletes will protest, critique, collect their paycheck, and continue to live here. They are making a difference as basketball players. Now, we might not want to give black athletes their due. Drew Brees is a good Christian man from a good family and he was brave when he spoke up. Black basketball players have oversized egos and need to shut up and dribble and/or become police officers.

The riots and others calling for change did nothing? It was all the Bucks and Magic postponing their game 5 of a 1st round series that was pretty much over? That was the tipping point?

I’m not saying they should “shut up and dribble”, but only small minded people and fanboys think they should be political leaders.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
But this the fundamental problem that many people have with individuals in entertainment and sports when they try to get overly political. I read where the NBA players were mad that more wasn’t being done to address the issues they brought up. But on the other hand should we look towards entertainers and athletes for moral guidance as a country? It is a little pompous to believe when an athlete speaks the country is going to drop everything and listen.
Whom then? SCOTUS rulings, starting in late 80's, basically and literally militarized local law enforcement and community policing was demoted.

This has been reported for over twenty years. Putin even cracked a joke at Obama once during international talks that the U.S. answer to crime and justice is too lock everyone up (a few years later isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?).

Reactions: RanDaddyBinks
I am not upset, I just do not like the sports teams/leagues to do politics. If LeBron wants to post 20 times a day on his social media about political issues, then that’s fine with me. When a bunch of millionaires are “sitting out” and “protesting” games, I have a problem with that. In my opinion, the average fan tunes in to see the game, not their thoughts on anything else.

The people that this issue is really affecting, don’t give 2 shits about MLB and NHL players sitting out games. Most sports fans really don’t care if the Bucks/Magic 2pm weekday game is missed either. Only the truly devoted and non-political fan will be truly upset at the game being missed.

Like that MMA fighter said, these NBA players should quit their jobs and go sign up as inner city Chicago police and try and make a difference. Postponing a game 2 days, does absolutely nothing!

Lebron James has made more of a difference for inner city kids than any cop ever has. Hes used his platform to better the lives of countless youths and their families. Most of the NBA come from the inner city. They have the platform to shed light on issues affecting their communities. One of the biggest is police violence and mass incarceration that's plagued their communities. Now we have George Wallace Jr promising to keep the black and brown hordes out of the suburbs. I applaud them for speaking up and using their platform to create change. It would much easier just to ignore it.

Last edited:
I didn’t post anything about the riots. I have been consistent. Anyone saying the NBA players’ protest(s) accomplished nothing is incorrect. Things are now in motion that weren’t before. This would be in addition to things accomplished by other protests.

Lebron James has made more of a difference for inner city kids than any cop ever has. Hes used his platform to better the lives of countless youths and their families. Most of the NBA come from the inner city. They have the platform to shed light on issues affecting their communities. One of the biggest is police violence and mass incarceration that's kept plagued their communities. Now we have George Wallace Jr promising to keep the black and brown hordes out of the suburbs. I applaud them for speaking up and using their platform to create change. It would much easier just to ignore it.

LeBron James has done a lot for Akron, no doubt about it. The other players not so much I’m not saying LeBron would make a difference as a cop. Not alone, of course. I’ve said in the other thread, the young black kids need role models other than LeBron, Jay-Z, and Lil Wayne. More of them need to want to be cops and regular jobs. Not all of them can play in the NBA, NFL, or be rappers.

I didn’t post anything about the riots. I have been consistent. Anyone saying the NBA players’ protest(s) accomplished nothing is incorrect. Things are now in motion that weren’t before. This would be in addition to things accomplished by other protests.

Maybe so. I believe they would have got the same done by bringing attention to it or speaking out after a game or on their day off.

The riots and others calling for change did nothing? It was all the Bucks and Magic postponing their game 5 of a 1st round series that was pretty much over? That was the tipping point?

I’m not saying they should “shut up and dribble”, but only small minded people and fanboys think they should be political leaders.

Tell that to Bill Bradley. Oh wait, he's white. Ok, how about Kevin Johnson or Lynn Swann. Tell they they should just fade away after their professional sports careers because they're just athletes so they don't quality for politics.

Tell that to Bill Bradley. Oh wait, he's white. Ok, how about Kevin Johnson or Lynn Swann. Tell they they should just fade away after their professional sports careers because they're just athletes so they don't quality for politics.

That's not what he meant. As usual, you're missing the point.

He's talking about the current players, not retired players who go into politics.

Why? Are they no longer American citizens once they make it to the NBA or NFL or MLB? Or do they simply begin to lose some of their birth rights once they go pro?

Again, you're missing the point.

People watch sports as an escape from politics, work, etc. Nobody cares who LeBron James votes for. If you vote for Biden just because LeBron James said so, then you're a fool.

So did anybody watch the games today?
Why? Are they no longer American citizens once they make it to the NBA or NFL or MLB? Or do they simply begin to lose some of their birth rights once they go pro?
Do you give a damn about what I think or anybody else on this board. I am sure there are many on here much more knowledgeable than most of pro athletes.
I don’t see you putting them on a pedestal. I don’t understand why we worship athletes, actors and singers. Sure some are very intelligent but not all.
If you get a chance listen to what Jason Whitlock has to say about LeBron. He is far more eloquent than I.

So did anybody watch the games today?

Do you give a damn about what I think or anybody else on this board. I am sure there are many on here much more knowledgeable than most of pro athletes.
I don’t see you putting them on a pedestal. I don’t understand why we worship athletes, actors and singers. Sure some are very intelligent but not all.
If you get a chance listen to what Jason Whitlock has to say about LeBron. He is far more eloquent than I.

Focus, Dman. Focus. Once again, you go off on crap nobody said. Focus.

Focus, Dman. Focus. Once again, you go off on crap nobody said. Focus.
The discussion was about we were upset with the NBA, and as I stated before because of their egos. The public enforces their attitudes because they use them for their news or beliefs. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear to you.

"Yes, they have a right to protest but just don't kneel during the national anthem."
OK
"They should sit in the back of the bus because it's inconveniencing my commute."
OK
" But they shouldn't march on the streets because it causes traffic problems and leads to looting, and we all know property and materialism is more important than black lives."
OK
Athletes offer opinions about police brutality.
"Shut up and dribble."
OK
Athletes go on strike.
"That's not the way to heard, they should really do something else."
People that keep hearing all these buts: You know what, **** YOU!

"Yes, they have a right to protest but just don't kneel during the national anthem."
OK
"They should sit in the back of the bus because it's inconveniencing my commute."
OK
" But they shouldn't march on the streets because it causes traffic problems and leads to looting, and we all know property and materialism is more important than black lives."
OK
"Shut up and dribble."
OK
Athletes go on strike.
That’s the dumbest comment you’ve ever made. No one is claiming that shit.
It’s very simple, if you told your boss your no longer going to work until he agrees with everything the left wants, will you still have a job. I know it is not that simple.
I guess someone needs to burn down your house for you to think it’s just property.

No
That’s the dumbest comment you’ve ever made. No one is claiming that shit.
It’s very simple, if you told your boss your no longer going to work until he agrees with everything the left wants, will you still have a job. I know it is not that simple.
I guess someone needs to burn down your house for you to think it’s just property.
No one has said these statements verbatim or very similar, are you sure?
Also, my not so subtle point is any time black people/civil rights protests have happened there's always a hateful peanut gallery with all kinds of excuses why they shouldn't protest.

As far as for a boss, NBA players are using their leverage(power) a guy at circle K doesn't wield that leverage(power). Also luckily I don't have a boss.

I swear to you if my house was burning down all I would care about is my kids and wife to be safe and sound before anything else inside of it.

Right there. This isn’t a left or right issue. This isn’t a me or you issue. These players are heartbroken about another cop murdering another black man. That is their issue. That’s why they sat out in protest.

Can you or I fail to perform our jobs in protest and expect to be employed the next day? Of course not. That doesn’t mean NBA players are bad or egotistical because they can. Fair or not, that’s just the way it is.

I get it. A lot of black players are critical of Trump. He is a very defensive man and puts down the NBA every chance he gets. We still need to stick to actual details and not blur this into a larger narrative that this isn’t even about.

Do the people watching CNN and Fox News tune in to watch 10 minutes of NBA slam dunk highlights? The best homeruns from yesterday? Does CNN bring in special correspondent Mike Miller to give his thoughts on election night? No, of course not. That’s ****ing stupid. Nobody tuning in for politics, is wondering what Mike Miller and Udonis Haslim are thinking about.

Just like the people tuning in to see Rockets vs Lakers gives 2 shits about what James Harden thinks about the voting rights of illegal aliens.

No

No one has said these statements verbatim or very similar, are you sure?
Also, my not so subtle point is any time black people/civil rights protests have happened there's always a hateful peanut gallery with all kinds of excuses why they shouldn't protest.

As far as for a boss, NBA players are using their leverage(power) a guy at circle K doesn't wield that leverage(power). Also luckily I don't have a boss.

I swear to you if my house was burning down all I would care about is my kids and wife to be safe and sound before anything else inside of it.
Of course your family or any person would come first. They are far more important than any building. What I’m trying get across if that building was you lifeblood, that business is what supported your family, would you be ok with anybody destroying it ? Of course not.
You said you don’t have a boss, do you have employees? Would you let them tell you who to vote for or what policies to follow in order for them to do their job.
If You or I had the power to right all the injustice In this country I’m know we would do it in a heartbeat. I’m sure we are wishing for the same outcome, just disagree on how to get there.

OK
OK
OK
"Shut up and dribble."
OK
Athletes go on strike.

I for one, do not give 2 shits about what anyone does during the national anthem. Kneel, make fart sounds with your mouth, do your thing.

They can protest on their days off, just like a normal person. Talk politics all day on your instachat, snapface, or whatever. I don’t care. I don’t want to see interviews at halftime, that aren’t game related.

I agree with the second paragraph, not the first. I don’t know of anyone ever getting hurt by being respectful

I for one, do not give 2 shits about what anyone does during the national anthem. Kneel, make fart sounds with your mouth, do your thing.

They can protest on their days off, just like a normal person. Talk politics all day on your instachat, snapface, or whatever. I don’t care. I don’t want to see interviews at halftime, that aren’t game related.
But that's when they have the most effect when people feel uncomfortable about hearing a black man speak of trying to reduce police brutality, which is the "target" audience. I think you're the target audience NoWinns. No use preaching to the choir.

But that's when they have the most effect when people feel uncomfortable about hearing a black man speak of trying to reduce police brutality, which is the "target" audience. I think you're the target audience NoWinns. No use preaching to the choir.

I am already aware of the “police brutality”. I don’t need a pampered millionaire telling me(us) that things need to change. The last two incidents are world news. They’re not stories in a rural town that’s not getting coverage.

I am already aware of the “police brutality”. I don’t need a pampered millionaire telling me(us) that things need to change. The last two incidents are world news. They’re not stories in a rural town that’s not getting coverage.
Not every Aggie is as informed and cultured as you, I find them to be very uncouth.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Of course your family or any person would come first. They are far more important than any building. What I’m trying get across if that building was you lifeblood, that business is what supported your family, would you be ok with anybody destroying it ? Of course not.
You said you don’t have a boss, do you have employees? Would you let them tell you who to vote for or what policies to follow in order for them to do their job.
If You or I had the power to right all the injustice In this country I’m know we would do it in a heartbeat. I’m sure we are wishing for the same outcome, just disagree on how to get there.
Agreement in bold.

"It's not the police who need to be retrained, it's the public. We have grown into a mouthy, mobile phone wielding, vulgar, uncivil society with no personal responsibility and the attitude of 'it's the other person's fault, you owe me'. A society where children grow up with no boundaries or knowledge or concern for civil society and personal responsibility.

When an officer says "Put your hands up," then put your hands up! Don't reach for something in your pocket, your lap, your seat. There's plenty of reason for a police officer to feel threatened, there have been multiple assaults and ambushes on police officers lately. Comply with requests from the officer, have your day in court. Don't mouth off, or fight, or refuse to comply... that escalates the situation.

Police officers are our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters. They're black, white, brown, all colors, all ethnicities, all faiths, male and female, they are us. They see the worst side of humanity... the raped children, the bloody mangled bodies of traffic victims, the bruised and battered victims of domestic violence, homicide victims, body parts... day after day.

They work holidays while we have festive meals with our families. They miss school events with their kids, birthdays, anniversaries, all those special occasions that we take for granted. They work in all types of weather, under dangerous conditions, for relatively low pay.

They have extensive training, but they are human. When there are numerous attacks on them, they become hyper vigilant for a reason, they have become targets. When a police officer encounters any person... any person, whether at a traffic stop, a street confrontation, an arrest, whatever... that situation has the potential to become life threatening. You, Mr & Mrs/Miss Civilian, also have the responsibility of keeping the situation from getting out of control.

Many law enforcement officers are Veterans. They've been in service to this nation most of their lives, whether on the battlefield or protecting us here at home. They are the only thing that stands between us and anarchy in the streets.

If you want to protect your child, teach them respect."

~ Sheriff David Clarke

"It's not the police who need to be retrained, it's the public. We have grown into a mouthy, mobile phone wielding, vulgar, uncivil society with no personal responsibility and the attitude of 'it's the other person's fault, you owe me'. A society where children grow up with no boundaries or knowledge or concern for civil society and personal responsibility.

When an officer says "Put your hands up," then put your hands up! Don't reach for something in your pocket, your lap, your seat. There's plenty of reason for a police officer to feel threatened, there have been multiple assaults and ambushes on police officers lately. Comply with requests from the officer, have your day in court. Don't mouth off, or fight, or refuse to comply... that escalates the situation.

Police officers are our sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters. They're black, white, brown, all colors, all ethnicities, all faiths, male and female, they are us. They see the worst side of humanity... the raped children, the bloody mangled bodies of traffic victims, the bruised and battered victims of domestic violence, homicide victims, body parts... day after day.

They work holidays while we have festive meals with our families. They miss school events with their kids, birthdays, anniversaries, all those special occasions that we take for granted. They work in all types of weather, under dangerous conditions, for relatively low pay.

They have extensive training, but they are human. When there are numerous attacks on them, they become hyper vigilant for a reason, they have become targets. When a police officer encounters any person... any person, whether at a traffic stop, a street confrontation, an arrest, whatever... that situation has the potential to become life threatening. You, Mr & Mrs/Miss Civilian, also have the responsibility of keeping the situation from getting out of control.

Many law enforcement officers are Veterans. They've been in service to this nation most of their lives, whether on the battlefield or protecting us here at home. They are the only thing that stands between us and anarchy in the streets.

If you want to protect your child, teach them respect."

~ Sheriff David Clarke
Yes, a power tripping tyrant would say all this, just be obedient subjects. This guy can **** all the way off.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Do the people watching CNN and Fox News tune in to watch 10 minutes of NBA slam dunk highlights? The best homeruns from yesterday? Does CNN bring in special correspondent Mike Miller to give his thoughts on election night? No, of course not. That’s ****ing stupid. Nobody tuning in for politics, is wondering what Mike Miller and Udonis Haslim are thinking about.

Just like the people tuning in to see Rockets vs Lakers gives 2 shits about what James Harden thinks about the voting rights of illegal aliens.

You're not answering the question posed in response to a comment you made; you're changing the narrative instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT