ADVERTISEMENT

Sellout The Sun Bowl vs LaTech!

I remember the 2005 game against UNM. We had a large crowd against the Lobos, and were trailing 10-7 at the half. Then, in the second half, we had a pick 6. The crowd went absolutely bonkers. On the Lobos' ensuing possession the fired up crowd was as loud as I have ever heard a crowd in the Sun Bowl. The Lobos had at least two false starts in that series, possibly three. I also remember a possession in that series where their QB tried to audible, his running back didn't hear him, and he had to take a sack when he turned to hand off to a running back who wasn't there. They were forced to punt out of their own end zone. We blocked the punt and recovered it in the end zone to go up 21-10. We ended up winning 21-13. Nothing anyone tells me will convince me that the crowd didn't help the Miners to win that game. After the game Price agreed.

Now if we had played eventual champion Texas, or runner up USC, do we win that game with our great, enthusiastic crowd? No, of course not. We would have had our heads handed to us. No amount of crowd noise can overcome a large disparity of talent. But for two closely matched teams can a large, loud crowd disrupt the visiting team and help energize the home team enough to give that home team a bit of an edge? I can't prove it, but I believe so.

There are other advantages to having a large, boisterous crowd. I can guarantee that the players would rather play before a big crowd than in a stadium that resembles a tomb. Does anyone else remember Tony Barbee begging El Paso to fill the Don every time Teicher interviewed him after a game? Was it because he was extremely dedicated to filling the athletic department's coffers? He already had his contract in place, and he was hoping to parlay success here into a job elsewhere, so that wasn't it. He believed that a large, loud crowd would help to lift the team. When he finally saw big boisterous crowds in the 2009 CBI he campaigned to have large sections of the Don set aside for inexpensuve GA seating in order to duplicate the experience. Stull, knowing that season ticket holders would not stand for it, refused, but it was obvious that Barbee wanted that crowd experience full time.

There is another potential advantage to a great crowd: recruiting. Now there are several factors that go into each recruit's decision, and crowd size probably isn't at the top of the vast majority of them, if any. But other things being equal I think that there are a lot of recruits that would prefer to play in front of big crowds instead of empty stadiums.

When asked what the difference is between playing in front of 15,000 or 30,000 If the revenue is the same, I'd say it is huge. And I bet Dimel and the team would agree with me.

I think I'm starting to get annoyed with the media bashing UTEP fans for not going to games. Yes, the team is winning but UTEP fans have been getting burned for a long time and I think it's going to take more than winning this year to get them back.

I have always had season tickets and gone to games but I also understand that a lot of people aren't like me. I want to see a big crowd in every game but I know UTEP has to continue to put out a decent product to get people back. Maybe, hopefully, I'm wrong and we get 25k on Saturday. I remember when 25k was considered a bad crowd during the prices years.

Maybe I have just turned into NoWins light over the years lol
For the faithful core like your family that show up regardless of opponent or record its perfectly normal to feel that way.

I think the media should focus on the good feel stories. On those in the community that are making a difference. Those that are buying extra tickets out of pocket and giving them away to those who can't afford them. There are a couple of stories on Twitter they could pick up. Tomorrow afternoon Top View Fitness is putting their money where their mouth is and handing out free tickets.

It's clear Senter and UTEP are more worried about milking every penny they can rather than spend money on actual advertising (not free social media) or God Forbid make this game the same price as our next two home games. I don't expect the media to turn the heat on UTEP.

I remember the 2005 game against UNM. We had a large crowd against the Lobos, and were trailing 10-7 at the half. Then, in the second half, we had a pick 6. The crowd went absolutely bonkers. On the Lobos' ensuing possession the fired up crowd was as loud as I have ever heard a crowd in the Sun Bowl. The Lobos had at least two false starts in that series, possibly three. I also remember a possession in that series where their QB tried to audible, his running back didn't hear him, and he had to take a sack when he turned to hand off to a running back who wasn't there. They were forced to punt out of their own end zone. We blocked the punt and recovered it in the end zone to go up 21-10. We ended up winning 21-13. Nothing anyone tells me will convince me that the crowd didn't help the Miners to win that game. After the game Price agreed.

Now if we had played eventual champion Texas, or runner up USC, do we win that game with our great, enthusiastic crowd? No, of course not. We would have had our heads handed to us. No amount of crowd noise can overcome a large disparity of talent. But for two closely matched teams can a large, loud crowd disrupt the visiting team and help energize the home team enough to give that home team a bit of an edge? I can't prove it, but I believe so.

There are other advantages to having a large, boisterous crowd. I can guarantee that the players would rather play before a big crowd than in a stadium that resembles a tomb. Does anyone else remember Tony Barbee begging El Paso to fill the Don every time Teicher interviewed him after a game? Was it because he was extremely dedicated to filling the athletic department's coffers? He already had his contract in place, and he was hoping to parlay success here into a job elsewhere, so that wasn't it. He believed that a large, loud crowd would help to lift the team. When he finally saw big boisterous crowds in the 2009 CBI he campaigned to have large sections of the Don set aside for inexpensuve GA seating in order to duplicate the experience. Stull, knowing that season ticket holders would not stand for it, refused, but it was obvious that Barbee wanted that crowd experience full time.

There is another potential advantage to a great crowd: recruiting. Now there are several factors that go into each recruit's decision, and crowd size probably isn't at the top of the vast majority of them, if any. But other things being equal I think that there are a lot of recruits that would prefer to play in front of big crowds instead of empty stadiums.

When asked what the difference is between playing in front of 15,000 or 30,000 If the revenue is the same, I'd say it is huge. And I bet Dimel and the team would agree with me.
Amen!! Leave it to MinerManiac to so eloquently convey in one post what I couldn’t do in 6-8. Well said, sir.

Does anyone else remember Tony Barbee begging El Paso to fill the Don every time Teicher interviewed him after a game? Was it because he was extremely dedicated to filling the athletic department's coffers? He already had his contract in place, and he was hoping to parlay success here into a job elsewhere, so that wasn't it. He believed that a large, loud crowd would help to lift the team. When he finally saw big boisterous crowds in the 2009 CBI he campaigned to have large sections of the Don set aside for inexpensuve GA seating in order to duplicate the experience. Stull, knowing that season ticket holders would not stand for it, refused, but it was obvious that Barbee wanted that crowd experience full time.

I remember! Best game I have been at The Don is the one against UAB to win the CUSA regular season title, with Stone's dish to Caracter to win it at the end. Nothing I have seen at The Don has ever compared to that. That crowd was a fever frenzy that I am sure hindered UAB.

I remember! Best game I have been at The Don is the one against UAB to win the CUSA regular season title, with Stone's dish to Caracter to win it at the end. Nothing I have seen at The Don has ever compared to that. That crowd was a fever frenzy that I am sure hindered UAB.
Georgetown in mid 80's and UT under Penders thirty years ago or so was deafening. UTEP women vs Rutgers in NIT matchup was electric and rockin', and I mean rockin' !

I was there as well, definitely top 5 games in UTEP History!

Reactions: mikesarabia
Any update on tickets sold?
As I mentioned yesterday UTEP released more tickets so it kind of threw off my math but another 900+ were sold from yesterday at 3pm to this morning at 8am. Around 16180 available last time I checked this morning.

Reactions: shyminer81
As I mentioned yesterday UTEP released more tickets so it kind of threw off my math but another 900+ were sold from yesterday at 3pm to this morning at 8am. Around 16180 available last time I checked this morning.
Thanks, appreciate you doing that! Totally surprised no flash sale or anything.

To me the Georgetown beat down was the loudest ever I went to…. The uab game was close but that Georgetown game was awesome

I thought beating the Globetrotters was pretty cool.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Another 1k tickets sold yesterday from 4pm yesterday until right now at 9am. 14,486 available on ticketmaster. I'm almost ready to make my prediction on the attendance thread.

Nate Ryan says less than 12k. I’ll take his word over Natty Lights
I predicted 27,456 let's see. If it's under 20,000 then the ticket information saying there's less than 14,000 available as of yesterday and 30,000 had been sold. Which of course doesn't mean sold to actual fans. Then someone is fudging the numbers. So I guess we'll just have to wait n see.

I predicted 27,456 let's see. If it's under 20,000 then the ticket information saying there's less than 14,000 available as of yesterday and 30,000 had been sold. Which of course doesn't mean sold to actual fans. Then someone is fudging the numbers. So I guess we'll just have to wait n see.
I'll explain again. Those 14k tickets available doesn't include the thousands of seats that obviously haven't sold but aren't available to purchase on the east side of the stadium. Sections 21-26. Have a bunch of grey seats on the top that I know haven't sold.

I haven't had a Natty Light in 20 years, but that's actually kinda funny lol Less Filling, watered down and cheap I'll accept that lol
That is some terrible beer. When my son was at Iowa State, the fans drank that shit in mass quantities. Their SBNation site, equivalent to our old Miner Rush, is even called Wide Right and Natty Lite.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That is some terrible beer. When my son was at Iowa State, the fans drank that shit in mass quantities. Their SBNation site, equivalent to our old Miner Rush, is even called Wide Right and Natty Lite.
What a terrible beer state. Everytime I've been there everybody was drinking Busch light. I get college kids but for life of me I don't know why an adult would buy Busch or Natty Lite.

What a terrible beer state. Everytime I've been there everybody was drinking Busch light. I get college kids but for life of me I don't know why an adult would buy Busch or Natty Lite.
I guess I’m somewhat of a beer snob, so I have to agree with you.

Yep, Busch Light is the other one. Gross!!

Reactions: Lil_Train
Lol yeah I wouldn't drink it, idk even know how it still sales. I know it's cheap, but If I was in that position, I'd rather not drink a beer at all.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT