ADVERTISEMENT

Sellout The Sun Bowl vs LaTech!

Crazy what that $5 meal deal did for sales. Prior to it being announced there were 17,782 tickets available online at ticketmaster. This morning there is 16,682. 1,100 sold overnight. I expect another huge jump in sales today.

Coincidentally I had checked sales at 4:27pm. The promo was released at 5:35pm. I have screenshots and receipts for all my numbers which I have shared with anyone that has reached out to me.

Exactly right. I remember the build up to the home game with Army and we had a very good crowd and then after getting clobberd the fans vanished. Hope for a win but if not then at least a hotly contested game.

One big difference between then and now. THEN UTEP's strategy was to get Army here so that we can convert soldiers into Miner Fans. NOW we are trying to get El Pasoans to be Miner Fans.

I understand promoting UTEP to Fort Bliss, but there was a time when majority of the marketing Focus was on Fort Bliss and not our Community.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Looks like more local businesses are stepping up. Like I said gyms, restaurants and businesses are a huge benefit in marketing. UTEP is going to have a good crowd on Saturday it appears! Way to go El Paso!
I've seen more locals offering to buy tickets for those sufferring economical hardships than UTEP'S willingness to budge on the ticket price.

I've seen more locals offering to buy tickets for those sufferring economical hardships than UTEP'S willingness to budge on the ticket price.
Indeed, hopefully they are saving it for tomorrow? Something tells me they are not going to budge and the only thing they are doing is the $5 meal. 14 and $20 tickets are not bad, but for many $70 a tickets is a lot.

Reactions: JCorona
Indeed, hopefully they are saving it for tomorrow? Something tells me they are not going to budge and the only thing they are doing is the $5 meal. 14 and $20 tickets are not bad, but for many $70 a tickets is a lot.
I agree and this is where I draw the line in my support of Senter. If UTSA can offer a 50% flash sale why can't UTEP? It helped them get their biggest crowd of the season. And they needed every single of them in attendance to get past 0-5 UNLV.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I agree and this is where I draw the line in my support of Senter. If UTSA can offer a 50% flash sale why can't UTEP? It helped them get their biggest crowd of the season. And they needed every single of them in attendance to get past 0-5 UNLV.
They did? They had 7k more than UTEP that week and UTEP won their game. Fans don’t win games, players do. Many D2 and D3 games are played with under 1k and there’s always a team that wins.

SDSU had 8k for their game vs UNM this past Saturday and won by several touchdowns. They would have won with 0 in the stands, just like a lot of teams did last year.

I've been extremely hard on Senter. However, I'm with him on this. We have tried discounted tickets for decades to get people to games. It's had varying levels of success. However, once tickets go back up people bitch and moan. A get in price of $14 is very affordable. That's the price of a meal at any crappy chain casual dining resturaunt. El Paso has always has a "minor league" mentality. Now is not the time to give in to it. Change the mentality. In the end it's about revenue. What good does having 30,000 people buy tickets at discounted prices when the revenue will be same as 15,000 people at regular. It's smoke and mirrors and does nothing for the bottom line

UTSA is in a completely different situation. That's comparing apples to oranges.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I've been extremely hard on Senter. However, I'm with him on this. We have tried discounted tickets for decades to get people to games. It's had varying levels of success. However, once tickets go back up people bitch and moan. A get in price of $14 is very affordable. That's the price of a meal at any crappy chain casual dining resturaunt. El Paso has always has a "minor league" mentality. Now is not the time to give in to it. Change the mentality. In the end it's about revenue. What good does having 30,000 people buy tickets at discounted prices when the revenue will be same as 15,000 people at regular. It's smoke and mirrors and does nothing for the bottom line

UTSA is in a completely different situation. That's comparing apples to oranges.
Definitely about revenue if to fund this item. One of the things we’ve been behind on is nutrition. Can’t fund something basic if no $$$ inflowing.

Makes no sense to charge $14 for this game and $10 for a current undefeated UTSA team that you claim is UTEP’S biggest rival.

I don't care about the revenue. Or the next game. I want to be bowl eligible and start 6-1 for the first time since the mid 50's. We have a chance to make history.

Makes no sense to charge $14 for this game and $10 for a current undefeated UTSA team that you claim is UTEP’S biggest rival.

I don't care about the revenue. Or the next game. I want to be bowl eligible and start 6-1 for the first time since the mid 50's.
I want to sustain success. You did that with revenue. The team will beat La Tech with 100 people or 40,000.

It’s shortsighted to believe that 15k is “better” than 30k. Senter should have done this for BCU, UNM, or ODU though, where the Miners had a good shot at winning. Now, he’s doing some things for a game that the Miners will “likely” lose. Let the fans go home happy. If the Miners lose, they’re not getting many of these fans back for UTSA, especially if they lose to FAU.

He/they are at least trying. Senter overshot his potential audience. They had the laziest of lazy “promotions” and thought, “This is good”

They did? They had 7k more than UTEP that week and UTEP won their game. Fans don’t win games, players do. Many D2 and D3 games are played with under 1k and there’s always a team that wins.

SDSU had 8k for their game vs UNM this past Saturday and won by several touchdowns. They would have won with 0 in the stands, just like a lot of teams did last year.
Fans make an impact on the game. They can cause false starts in crucial 3rd downs. Players feed of their energy. Stop trying to contradict for the sake of it.

I want to sustain success. You did that with revenue. The team will beat La Tech with 100 people or 40,000.
Kind of seems the more tickets sold the more revenue there is. I'm not asking for permanent $10 tickets just for a one day, one hour or whatever flash sale to give an incentive to those who might be on the fence about attending.

I don't care about the revenue. Or the next game. I want to be bowl eligible and start 6-1 for the first time since the mid 50's. We have a chance to make history.
Right on. When you’re a customer, what difference does it make how much revenue the company is making from you? If WalMart is selling a TV for $100, they paid $150 for, nobody goes and says, “No deal, let me pay you $165 for it”

Reactions: JCorona
Fans make an impact on the game. They can cause false starts in crucial 3rd downs. Players feed of their energy. Stop trying to contradict for the sake of it.
Rattled UT the first half for sure when I saw that home game in what? 2009? Or was it 2006?

I’m not. It’s just fact if there’s 0 or 100,000 in the stands. Oregon won at Ohio St. 100,000 didn’t make a damn bit of difference. Sure, a false start here and there COULD help, but in reality, there’s no stats that will say that the bigger the crowd, the greater chance the home team will win. Ohio St, TAMU, and Michigan aren’t invisible with 100,000 fans. Having 20k in a big dome doesn’t give the home team any “advantage”.

I’m not. It’s just fact if there’s 0 or 100,000 in the stands. Oregon won at Ohio St. 100,000 didn’t make a damn bit of difference. Sure, a false start here and there COULD help, but in reality, there’s no stats that will say that the bigger the crowd, the greater chance the home team will win. Ohio St, TAMU, and Michigan aren’t invisible with 100,000 fans. Having 20k in a big dome doesn’t give the home team any “advantage”.
We're not at the level of any those teams you mention. We've had one of the worst FBS runs in modern history. Last year we played road games in front of nobody and couldn't pull it off. This UTEP team needs all the help it can get to grind out games. We're still a few levels below in talent and coaching. A big crowd will inspire our team to play above our skill level. Could be the difference between a win and more confidence or the start of a downward spiral.

We're not at the level of any those teams you mention. We've had one of the worst FBS runs in modern history. Last year we played road games in front of nobody and couldn't pull it off. This UTEP team needs all the help it can get to grind out games. We're still a few levels below in talent and coaching. A big crowd will inspire our team to play above our skill level. Could be the difference between a win and more conference or the start of a downward spiral.

Right. Those teams win because they’re good. If the 1st and 2nd string OSU players were suspended for a game, and they rolled out 3rd stringers, those 100,000 aren’t helping them win the game vs Michigan St. Sure, the energy and atmosphere is better, but no player that is worth a damn, stops playing hard when the stands are empty. Look at last season. Charlotte beat the Miners in front of 1,000 people last year. Doesn’t get much worse of an atmosphere than that. The players still played hard and found a way to win.

You’re right. Only because there are too many variables to control to conduct a solid “study” of how big a crowd has to be to make an actual difference. Crowd size won’t be the sole factor in winning/losing games, but If you don’t believe the energy of a crowd can lift a team to victory on occasion, don’t know what to tell you.

Hell, even Vegas thinks home field is worth 2 1/2+ points. It’s not because of empty stadiums. The bigger the crowd, the more energy, probably the more lift a team receives from said crowd.

It's called home field advantage for a reason.

Would the A&M kicker have made the game winning field goal if he had 100k people yelling against him? Maybe, most likely not. Most would agree that the game would have a different outcome in Alabama. You yourself said it weeks in advanced that A&M wasn't going to win. I bet the crowd played a huge role in that upset.

Hell, even Vegas thinks home field is worth 2 1/2+ points. It’s not because of empty stadiums. The bigger the crowd, the more energy, probably the more lift a team receives from said crowd.

Are you sure about that? Don’t you think it’s an advantage to play on the same field you play 6 games and can practice on any time you want, than practicing for a hour or so and playing 1 game there every 2 years or once in your life?

Were betting lines adjusted last year when games were playing in front of 0?

It's called home field advantage for a reason.

Would the A&M kicker have made the game winning field goal if he had 100k people yelling against him? Maybe, most likely not. Most would agree that the game would have a different outcome in Alabama. You yourself said it weeks in advanced that A&M wasn't going to win. I bet the crowd played a huge role in that upset.
Maybe? Again, we’re talking about a huge crowd watching a high stakes game. You were referring to a UTSA game with 7k more people than normal, with really no stakes.

Are you sure about that? Don’t you think it’s an advantage to play on the same field you play 6 games and can practice on any time you want, than practicing for a hour or so and playing 1 game there every 2 years or once in your life?

Were betting lines adjusted last year when games were playing in front of 0?
Of course I do. However I’m not naive enough to think that a big energetic crowd doesn’t give a little push to a team in critical moments at times.

Couldn’t tell you about betting lines being adjusted last year. I’m not a betting man, and I only hear of betting lines in passing. Like on this forum. Or seeing it by happenstance when looking on ESPN. Do you know the answer to that?

And if the standard 2 1/2 points is the home field advantage, there’s no difference between a Coastal Carolina advantage in front of 15k or a BYU game in front of 65k

Of course I do. However I’m not naive enough to think that a big energetic crowd doesn’t give a little push to a team in critical moments at times.

Couldn’t tell you about betting lines being adjusted last year.
I’m not arguing it doesn’t give help “at moments”, but the home field advantage is due to playing at home, and not the crowd size. Like I said, in reality doesn’t make a difference and has very little effect on the winner of the game.

I’m not arguing it doesn’t give help “at moments”, but the home field advantage is due to playing at home, and not the crowd size. Like I said, in reality doesn’t make a difference and has very little effect on the winner of the game.
Depends. That statement needs more context to be “true”. Very much conjecture on your part. You have proof?

Maybe? Again, we’re talking about a huge crowd watching a high stakes game. You were referring to a UTSA game with 7k more people than normal, with really no stakes.
Levels. 20k for a CUSA game could be considered the equivalent of a huge crowd at a P5 school. Stakes are involved. UTSA isn't a traditional football powerhouse that is accustomed to starting undefeated. It was shown in how they played up and down to their competition. Would they have won the game at UNLV? Who knows but there's no denying that crowd helped them overcome a weak UNLV squad.

Depends. That statement needs more context to be “true”. Very much conjecture on your part. You have proof?
“ According to the results, the share of home-field advantage attributable to crowd support differs dramatically among divisions and for Serie A and Bundesliga crowd support does not even have any statistical effect on points earned at home.” This is for European soccer, I would guess that this would be a similar for all sports. https://aassjournal.com/article-1-806-en.pdf

Just from last week, SDSU won in front of 8,000. Auburn lost in front of 88,000. Nebraska lost with 88k too. Virginia Tech had 66,000 and lost. Florida beat Vandy in front of 86,000. The teams you’re playing matter, not the fans so much.

Youre right nowins. Fans at the stadium have zero impact on the outcome. UTEP should just raise their cheapest tickets to the G5 FBS median. After all having a crowd won't make a damn difference.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
“ According to the results, the share of home-field advantage attributable to crowd support differs dramatically among divisions and for Serie A and Bundesliga crowd support does not even have any statistical effect on points earned at home.” This is for European soccer, I would guess that this would be a similar for all sports. https://aassjournal.com/article-1-806-en.pdf

Just from last week, SDSU won in front of 8,000. Auburn lost in front of 88,000. Nebraska lost with 88k too. Virginia Tech had 66,000 and lost. Florida beat Vandy in front of 86,000. The teams you’re playing matter, not the fans so much.
Maybe. I doubt it, though. However I’m not in the least bit interested in trying to figure it out.

You’re presenting anecdotal evidence, in the sense that you’re picking and choosing scores that support your side of the “argument”. Besides that, you’re getting too far from the point. Everybody in support of the idea that crowd size helps, admits that it’s just an “edge” not an absolute determining factor.

Of course the teams you’re playing matter more than the crowd size. You’ve said that several times. Has ANYBODY here refuted that?

Ok, it’s now absolutely certain, NoWins doesn’t think crowd size has any effect on the outcome of a game. There it is.

Reactions: develman

oh-woah.gif

Maybe. I doubt it, though. However I’m not in the least bit interested in trying to figure it out.

You’re presenting anecdotal evidence, in the sense that you’re picking and choosing scores that support your side of the “argument”. Besides that, you’re getting too far from the point. Everybody in support of the idea that crowd size helps, admits that it’s just an “edge” not an absolute determining factor.

Of course the teams you’re playing matter more than the crowd size. You’ve said that several times. Has ANYBODY here refuted that?

Ok, it’s now absolutely certain, NoWins doesn’t think crowd size has any effect on the outcome of a game. There it is.

You can go and pick out any scores you want to though. Even if 0-10 Auburn was playing at home against 10-0 Alabama, there’s nothing that says the crowd size was a big factor in the upset. They happen. Corona was saying UNLV needed all 20k to beat UNLV. That is not provable and just his opinion.

If UTEP gets 20k and they lose, would anyone suggest they would have won with 14k? No, of course not, but there would be some yahoos who would claim they would have won with 45k. It’s just not true.

I can go and find a bunch of crowds and scores to support my point. It's useless arguing with someone who's sole purpose is to argue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT