ADVERTISEMENT

Stull discusses MWC

This would be ideal but

That's likely not going to happen now. We should thank Stull for turning them down TWICE! Why would they want us now? What incentive do we bring to the MWC? We can't even offer our prestigious bball program as an offering. The MWC will always demand the Sun Bowl which UTEP cannot deliver. San Jose St....THE--SAN JOSE ST. UNIVERSITY took our spot.

The Big 12 is expanding, they are taking Cincy and ?

If the MWC stays the same, I'm all in. If it's going to be the Wac we left when we joined CUSA then NO! The BIG 12 is looking for teams, I believe they are looking at Air Force, CSU, and Boise from the MWC. From the AAC it is Houston, SMU, UCF, Memphis, UCONN and Cincy. BYU is also in the mix.

So lets hope the Big 12 takes Cincy and UCONN, then that would leave the AAC as a possibility for us also.

Stull open to discussion, however, the local media wants NMSU

Let's be very clear about this, Stull is open but has not said one thing about NMSU and rightfully so. This Aggie "tag along" scenario has been thrown out by them for years and they will not drop it. They push it and push it and push it some more. They are like the "war hawks" of DC, but I-10 rivalry version. I am of the Stull side when it comes to NMSU. It actually has no competitive nor financial advantage to continue this rivalry, at least on a yearly basis. It hurts UTEP to play them in football and the two games in basketball provide no OOC leverage for UTEP, so that's two games....two....that do not help UTEP's SOS nor RPI.

Local media needs more out of town new blood so hopefully this idea stops popping up every year.
This post was edited on 3/18 9:30 AM by utep2step

Re: This would be ideal but

I thought Utah State took our spot? Heck, what difference does it make.

Re: Stull open to discussion, however, the local media wants NMSU

Wrong, you know nothing about financials if you think playing NMSU does nothing for UTEP in football. Schools pay hundreds of thousands to play warm up games with NMSU, we get to schedule them for free. As for basketball, they always have a good rpi which is the point of OOC scheduling, play good to decent RPI schools to toughen the overall SOS.

So, yes, I don't want them in our conference but, yes, I want to continue to play them OOC forever.

Re: The Big 12 is expanding, they are taking Cincy and ?

No one wants BYU. UTEP wants and respects BYU....why is beyond me?! But that is beyond the point. Boise has been discussed on radio and tv and their location is cost prohibitive. You have to offer many academic programs, Tier 1 preferably, to get a whiff from bigger major conferences (and I mean bigger than the American Conference). As far as solid academics, athletics, budget, (TV) revenue, location, Cincy or UConn would be the best fit. However, if you want academics, Colorado State is a good school, but they're too off the beaten path.
This post was edited on 3/18 9:44 AM by utep2step

Dunno where you got the "No one wants BYU" stuff from. It's more BYU doesn't want to be tied to a conference. From my understanding they enjoy their independent status. The only thing half of them have heartburn with is they don't get an auto-bid bowl offer because they're not affiliated with any conference. The other half doesn't mind.

The BYU AD, Holmoe, was quoted recently as saying that BYU will be playing in a P5 conference one day. I would guess that it would have to be the Big 12 where the only openings exist. But you are right about them not wanting in any G5 conference, including the MWC.

Basketball; NMSU current RPI now 101. SOS 223. Congrats on making the NCAA, but you still can't explain how it is beneficial. Stull has offered NMSU to play at the Sun Bowl and both schools can walk away with some money, but NMSU said no. They will take the hit to get 5 to 7 thousand at Memorial. Oh well.

I know it hurts. It hurts like hell. It hurt even when lame ass UNM said "no" to UTEP over twenty years ago when the MWC started. Natalico was stunned....literally! BYU told UTEP to stop riding their coat tails! Drop football, put the money in basketball and then lets make this a combo package and see how the market reacts. To me, that's the only I think any commissioner would listen.

Originally posted by Nugget 07:
If the MWC stays the same, I'm all in. If it's going to be the Wac we left when we joined CUSA then NO! The BIG 12 is looking for teams, I believe they are looking at Air Force, CSU, and Boise from the MWC. From the AAC it is Houston, SMU, UCF, Memphis, UCONN and Cincy. BYU is also in the mix.

So lets hope the Big 12 takes Cincy and UCONN, then that would leave the AAC as a possibility for us also.
The Big 12 has very little interest in expanding and no interest in adding a current Mountain West school. Each Big 12 school receives approximately $30 million from the conference as their share of TV and Bowl revenue. If they add a team, that school would have to generate an additional $30 million or the existing 10 schools would receive less of a share. There isn't a team you have listed, especially the Mountain West schools, that could do that. Big 12 has zero interest.

Things changed when TCU and Baylor got snubbed out of the Football Playoff. The Big12 needs a championship game, and they know they need 12 schools. Many recent articles in the Dallas Morning News and other reputable papers, say Big12 expansion is coming. Cincinnati is listed as a favorite, followed by the other schools I mentioned. UTEP is not going to the Big12, that's not my point. My point is the AAC and or MWC might have some slots open up real soon. Stull knows this. He is very tight lipped about everything and all of a sudden he's open PUBLICLY to joining the MWC?

Again, we will see 1 more round of reshuffling and then that will be it. We have to play our cards right, this is our last chance. The future of UTEP Athletics is at stake.

As for C-USA, I really have no idea why we let FIU and FAU in. They bring nothing. The whole Miami market reason is bogus. Both schools suck, their attendance is garbage, and they bring nothing to the table. C-USA should have never invited those 2 schools, the conference would have been in much better shape.

Things changed when TCU and Baylor got snubbed out of the Football Playoff. The Big12 needs a championship game, and they know they need 12 schools. Many recent articles in the Dallas Morning News and other reputable papers, say Big12 expansion is coming. Cincinnati is listed as a favorite, followed by the other schools I mentioned. UTEP is not going to the Big12, that's not my point. My point is the AAC and or MWC might have some slots open up real soon. Stull knows this. He is very tight lipped about everything and all of a sudden he's open PUBLICLY to joining the MWC?

Again, we will see 1 more round of reshuffling and then that will be it. We have to play our cards right, this is our last chance. The future of UTEP Athletics is at stake.

As for C-USA, I really have no idea why we let FIU and FAU in. They bring nothing. The whole Miami market reason is bogus. Both schools suck, their attendance is garbage, and they bring nothing to the table. C-USA should have never invited those 2 schools, the conference would have been in much better shape.
I agree with everything Nugget states here. Stull knows he "screwed the pooch" when he turned down the MWC (apparently twice). He'll do whatever he can to rectify that major lapse in judgment. The fact that all of a sudden BS is vocal about the prospect of joining the MWC, when historically he's been mum on the issue, speaks volumes on the current and future state of UTEP Athletics in a downtrodden C-USA. The addition of the F_U schools added dead weight to an already sinking ship. Should the opportunity to jump ship to the MWC present itself (again), UTEP must jump at the chance for the betterment of its athletics programs.

Re: This would be ideal but

If in order for us to get into the MWC NMSU would have to come along I wouldn't have any problem at all, if that would get us out of CUSA and the Floridas International and UTSA, we would still be in a far better and more respectable conference.

This post was edited on 3/18 12:33 PM by alvinosports

Wrong, you know nothing about financials if you think playing NMSU does nothing for UTEP in football. Schools pay hundreds of thousands to play warm up games with NMSU, we get to schedule them for free. As for basketball, they always have a good rpi which is the point of OOC scheduling, play good to decent RPI schools to toughen the overall SOS.

So, yes, I don't want them in our conference but, yes, I want to continue to play them OOC forever.
I think we should continue to play them in football, and in basketball cut it to one game a year(alternating venues) and schedule a "big 5" road game every year .

From December 29th, after the snubs and after the conference meetings straight from the commissioner:

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Monday that he doesn't expect his conference will seek expansion anytime soon. Bowlsby, who met with reporters at halftime of the AutoZone Liberty Bowl, said his schools' presidents and chancellors prefer for the conference to remain at 10 teams for the foreseeable future. "Ten is what we are and I think the status quo with all 10 schools committed and with grants of rights for all our media, we're distributing the largest amount of money per school of any of the leagues right now and I don't think any of our members want to change that," Bowlsby said. "Competitively, we think that having everybody play everybody is the right way to determine a champion, even if you do sometimes have a tie."

The conference is seeking to deregulate the FBS rule that requires leagues to have at least 12 teams and two separate divisions in order to stage a conference championship game. He said there hasn't been any noticeable resistance to that effort yet, that he expects the process to play out within the next six months and that the ACC is also seeking to have the rule removed

But what about the "east coast bias"?

The east coast bias is based on intense media coverage ON THE EAST COAST. FIU and FAU are on the east coast, which means they get covered by east coast media...Miami for pete sake?!! I don't see any media outlets quoting the Las Cruces Sun News?!

"The BYU AD, Holmoe, was quoted recently as saying that BYU will be
playing in a P5 conference one day. I would guess that it would have to
be the Big 12 where the only openings exist. But you are right about
them not wanting in any G5 conference, including the MWC."

Totally agree on the Big 12 being their best option. The funny thing is when all the reshuffling was going on, they were approached by two major conference reps (that I know of) and BYU declined both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT