ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

Yeah, not having field tarps is why we suck in football......
No, it would not cause it to increase the amount of wins and decrease the losses. But when you are playing in an outdoor open- air facility, especially with bowl game in middle to late December. Even during the regular season of late August- late October with rain, the month of November at times can get cold earlier than usual. Honestly I'm surprised that field tarps are not more widely used especially with the Power 5 schools. Especially in recent years with an emphasis on player safety.
The only @UTEPATHLETICS sport that uses a tarp is softball, but not for the practice football field or University Field (soccer).

I would rather celebrate something meaningful like a winning football season or a CUSA basketball regular season title. I don’t blame Senter for throwing a party, this is the only accomplishment he can point to.

Anyone here up for crashing the celebration with ‘FIRE SENTER’ and ‘FIRE TERRY’ signs?
I like it. If I was in EP I’d join in. Hope some of you do it.

The "7 Architects" likely came form A$M and UT, nice stadiums but having been to several university grade venues they really aren't all that remarkable. Sun Bowl is a bit aged but still unique in its construction and design.

Isn't Allen stadium the one with foundations issues that was unusable for a while, or was that McKinney?
It was Allen. But they repaired everything and its been in use for 8 or 9 years now.

They should put that downtown.

What is going on with the Downtown Arena? Last I heard they want to use the money to renovate the Abraham Chavez Theater.

It was Allen. But they repaired everything and its been in use for 8 or 9 years now.

They should put that downtown.

What is going on with the Downtown Arena? Last I heard they want to use the money to renovate the Abraham Chavez Theater.
I don’t believe they are allowed to do that, think that money can only be used for the arena.

I don’t believe they are allowed to do that, think that money can only be used for the arena.

I think you're right but Leeser said the Arena is not a priority and he sees the money going towards renovations.

City has issued bonds and financing for the downtown arena that cannot be changed. The federal government will not approve the request to make downtown a "historical preservation district" either. With out government help no sane investor would invest in restoration of the area. My bet 20 years from now we will see that area fenced off, vacant boarded up and decayed buildings, no arena and we can call the area "Bagdad on the Border" or something or other.

City has issued bonds and financing for the downtown arena that cannot be changed. The federal government will not approve the request to make downtown a "historical preservation district" either. With out government help no sane investor would invest in restoration of the area. My bet 20 years from now we will see that area fenced off, vacant boarded up and decayed buildings, no arena and we can call the area "Bagdad on the Border" or something or other.
So another Lincoln Center?

Pretty much.....typical EP, our entertainment options will forever be cable tv and a six pack of bud.
The Haskins Center, Southwest University Park, and County Coliseum do not provide enough entertainment already?

What events are we missing out on because there’s no new arena? Which gets smaller and get less amenities each day that passes.

Reactions: kickballpro

The Sun Bowl, Haskins Center, and Southwest University Park are all cashless (credit card only) venues.

Huh...the restaurant my wife and I went to last night was having credit card issues. Guess it wasn't just them!

Can they start with better lighting for the Don first?
I believe Senter has stated that a new lighting (LED?) system would cost about $300,000 for the DHC. What would be the costs to remove and replace the four lighting poles 150 ft. height (minimum for cfb) or 250 ft. (NFL standard)? It would be worth it in the long term for the school ($$ savings).

Reactions: utep2step
We should have built one before the basketball practice facility. That was a dumb decision. The next project should be and indoor practice facility.
What does an indoor practice field buy for UTEP besides being able to say that they have one? Does it enable UTEP to practice in ways that it currently can't?

In northern schools, weather can be a factor. In the case of UGA, it doesn't get particularly cold, but they have a humid climate with heavy precipitation and even tropical storms/hurricanes. For UTEP, the weather is good year-round. It's one of the benefits of El Paso that UTEP should be able to capitalize on.

The UGA video in that twitter post shows that their indoor football practice facility also includes a fancy weight room. UTEP has its fancy weight room at the Larry K. Durham center; it's pretty nice.

Yes, if it really does cause UTEP to miss out on recruits because other schools have an indoor practice field and UTEP doesn't, then maybe it's a necessary evil that UTEP will have to pour money into to stay competitive. But from a practical standpoint, I don't understand why it's necessary at all and why people keep pining for it. There are other things that are actual needs that UTEP should prioritize its money on first.

What does an indoor practice field buy for UTEP besides being able to say that they have one? Does it enable UTEP to practice in ways that it currently can't?

In northern schools, weather can be a factor. In the case of UGA, it doesn't get particularly cold, but they have a humid climate with heavy precipitation and even tropical storms/hurricanes. For UTEP, the weather is good year-round. It's one of the benefits of El Paso that UTEP should be able to capitalize on.

The UGA video in that twitter post shows that their indoor football practice facility also includes a fancy weight room. UTEP has its fancy weight room at the Larry K. Durham center; it's pretty nice.

Yes, if it really does cause UTEP to miss out on recruits because other schools have an indoor practice field and UTEP doesn't, then maybe it's a necessary evil that UTEP will have to pour money into to stay competitive. But from a practical standpoint, I don't understand why it's necessary at all and why people keep pining for it. There are other things that are actual needs that UTEP should prioritize its money on first.
Most of the players UTEP recruits come from high schools that have indoor facilities. We have by far the worst practice facilities in CUSA. At worst schools have on full size grass field and one full size synthetic practice field.

UTEP has one practice field. It's not even full size. It's 80 yards long. It's embarrassing. Google UNTs practice facility. See how woefully far behind we are. Rice has a brand nee indoor facility. UTSA just opened a new facility. Meanwhile we have an 80 yd long field we've had for 40 years.

People are finally waking up and realizing we have neglected football for 50 years. It's cost us dearly. It's the most important sport and people have finally figured it out. They should be fundraising now. The basketball facilities are more than adequate for this level of basketball. Nothing should be done to the DHC until an IPC is built and the south end zone renovation that's been planned for 15 years is completed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taco1977
Most of the players UTEP recruits come from high schools that have indoor facilities. We have by far the worst practice facilities in CUSA. At worst schools have on full size grass field and one full size synthetic practice field.

UTEP has one practice field. It's not even full size. It's 80 yards long. It's embarrassing. Google UNTs practice facility. See how woefully far behind we are. Rice has a brand nee indoor facility. UTSA just opened a new facility. Meanwhile we have an 80 yd long field we've had for 40 years.

People are finally waking up and realizing we have neglected football for 50 years. It's cost us dearly. It's the most important sport and people have finally figured it out. They should be fundraising now. The basketball facilities are more than adequate for this level of basketball. Nothing should be done to the DHC until an IPC is built and the south end zone renovation that's been planned for 15 years is completed.
Louisiana Tech uses their track and field complex as their practice field.

The Naked Harem was raunchy inside but it left a legacy among generations.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
If UTEP deems it necessary to have an indoor football practice field they could do what Rice did and buy an inflatable structure for about $3 million. Bet they could raise or find that somewhere.

Total exaggeration. UTEP's Durham center is excellent. The. Basketball practice building is too. LT, USM, FIU, FAU, ODU, Charlotte, Marshall, WKU, MT do not have indoor football practice facilities or nicer facilities in general than UTEP.

Total exaggeration. UTEP's Durham center is excellent. The. Basketball practice building is too. LT, USM, FIU, FAU, ODU, Charlotte, Marshall, WKU, MT do not have indoor football practice facilities or nicer facilities in general than UTEP.
You should probably do a quick YouTube search for some of the teams you've listed. UTEP is no where close to their level in football facilities.

Reactions: FedupMiner

Arizona,Arizona State and UNM share the same desert 🏜️🏝️ climate as UTEP yet they got one.

I live in a town of 44,000 and the new high school has an indoor practice facility. They are 5A and not all that great. I think the best kid out of here last year went to play for Western New Mexico. But we have an indoor practice facility, and UTEP doesn't?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT