ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

Arizona,Arizona State and UNM share the same desert 🏜️🏝️ climate as UTEP yet they got one.

$16 Million doesn't seem like alot to me.

$16 Million doesn't seem like alot to me.
Northwestern's cost $270 million. Right on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Ryan_Fieldhouse_Walsh_ABI_037-(low).jpg

$5.3-16.3 mil invested in an indoor practice facility, to attract better recruits, seems like a better investment than better seats at the Sun Bowl.

Reactions: develman
Then either you're intentionally being ignorant or you haven't seen the facilities at UTEP in a long time.
Why does Louisiana Tech have to use their track and field complex as their practice field but they manage to field better football teams than UTEP most years? Should UTEP move its practices to Kidd Field?

Reactions: Cube Jack
Why does Louisiana Tech have to use their track and field complex as their practice field but they manage to field better football teams than UTEP most years? Should UTEP move its practices to Kidd Field?
Not really sure what point it is you're trying to make? Do you think the local talent surrounding El Paso is equivalent to the talent surrounding Ruston?

AJ's biggest complaint about UTEP was nutrition. Is that a low-hanging fruit? Has UTEP done anything to improve nutrition since AJ called them out on it?
They're in the process of building a new nutrition station, or I should say refurbishing the old one.

As far as training table goes, it's an absolute joke. The players used to have a meal plan at Pick ‘N’ Shovel, but they don't anymore. I believe they get dining benefits at a few local restaurants two or three days out of the week. Overall though, the kids are not getting what they should be getting.

They're in the process of building a new nutrition station, or I should say refurbishing the old one.

As far as training table goes, it's an absolute joke. The players used to have a meal plan at Pick ‘N’ Shovel, but they don't anymore. I believe they get dining benefits at a few local restaurants two or three days out of the week. Overall though, the kids are not getting what they should be getting.
Then that sounds like a greater need for UTEP than an indoor practice field. I think they should address that first.

Wait....they don't have a meal plan anymore. Did the Cafe close? Do they get vouchers? Thats unbelievable

Reactions: axingfools1
Wait....they don't have a meal plan anymore. Did the Cafe close? Do they get vouchers? Thats unbelievable
They do not! Last year I could understand why they didn't have it. This year I'm absolutely blown away.

They get 7 meals a week as part of training table. Three of the meals are pretty decent, the other four are the equivalent of what you would see at an elementary school lunch. I don't know how they expect 300 lb lineman to maintain their weight on that garbage. There are several days out of the week where they don't even have enough protein to provide players for shakes after lifts.

Don't even get me started on the academic support. There are so many issues with the football program that it's a miracle they are able to get anyone to stick around once they perform.

They do not! Last year I could understand why they didn't have it. This year I'm absolutely blown away.

They get 7 meals a week as part of training table. Three of the meals are pretty decent, the other four are the equivalent of what you would see at an elementary school lunch. I don't know how they expect 300 lb lineman to maintain their weight on that garbage. There are several days out of the week where they don't even have enough protein to provide players for shakes after lifts.

Don't even get me started on the academic support. There are so many issues with the football program that it's a miracle they are able to get anyone to stick around once they perform.
Taco, you have inside info or are you doing some douchie trolling?

It’s been well known, ex student athletes have spoken on how bad it is. Saying at UTEP all they ate was fast food… Once they left to another school, they were able to get in shape and on a nutrition meal plan.

Reactions: Taco1977
It’s been well known, ex student athletes have spoken on how bad it is. Saying at UTEP all they ate was fast food… Once they left to another school, they were able to get in shape and on a nutrition meal plan.
Well, if its well known and hasn't been corrected then maybe UTEP can't afford to have a football team. Just throw in the towel.

Reactions: Taco1977
Is this a COVID cut back? I could have sworn that the nutrition issue was fixed a few years back.

Well, if its well known and hasn't been corrected then maybe UTEP can't afford to have a football team. Just throw in the towel.

If that is true, it is depressing. And UTEP should NOT field any teams if athletes have to starve/malnourish themselves to make a roster. Stupid NCAA limits!

If that is true, it is depressing. And UTEP should NOT field any teams if athletes have to starve/malnourish themselves to make a roster. Stupid NCAA limits!
There no NCAA limits preventing them from feeding the athletes. They changed the rules for training table to be unlimited a few years back. UTEP simply doesn't have the money to properly run a football program. They don't want to get rid of it because then they will have to cut a lot of other sports programs. Who wants to be the athletic director or president to cut 50% of the athletics at a school? It's a lot easier to just keep the status quo going.

I remember the 3 hour lighting delay at NMSU and their football team not having money to bring in Subway for their team. Was it UTEP, or UTEP booster, that helped them out?

F the fancy seats, feed the athletes properly

I remember the 3 hour lighting delay at NMSU and their football team not having money to bring in Subway for their team. Was it UTEP, or UTEP booster, that helped them out?

F the fancy seats, feed the athletes properly
You can upgrade the Sun Bowl all you want, nobody wants to see shitty football year after year. Nobody is going to suddenly pay $30 for a seat because it’s a movie theater style seat with your own usher to bring you drinks.

UTEP needs to do everything it can to improve everything other than the Sun Bowl seating.

You can upgrade the Sun Bowl all you want, nobody wants to see shitty football year after year. Nobody is going to suddenly pay $30 for a seat because it’s a movie theater style seat with your own usher to bring you drinks.

UTEP needs to do everything it can to improve everything other than the Sun Bowl seating.
Lol. Gold seats are $70. UTEP doesn't charge more they just improve the experience for their customers.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The practice facility a UNM really improved their recruiting and team winning percentage. NOT

That's true. But look at their facilities as a whole. The Pit went under massive renovations and is awesome. They upgraded Football Stadium facilities, are building and athletic performance center, they have first class tennis, soccer, track and softball facilities.

Seems like if you google UNM facilities, you read about constant improvements. They invest heavily in facilities. And although it hasn't translated into wins, they haven't lost any ground either.

They've got the infrastructure to go bigger.

That is exactly right!! Because UNM cares about its athletic programs and invests in its athletic infrastructure they are in a much better conference. They also haven’t been abandoned at the athletic alter by other conference mates like UTEP has. UTEP doesn’t care about its athletic programs, and everyone knows it. UTEP’s athletic programs exist to ensure people like Senter and Stull have a job and get paid lots of $ for pitiful results.

Last edited:
Reactions: kickballpro
That is exactly right!! Because UNM cares about its athletic programs and invests in its athletic infrastructure they are in a much better conference. They also haven’t been abandoned at the athletic alter by other conference mates like UTEP has. UTEP doesn’t care about its athletic programs, and everyone knows it. UTEP’s athletic programs exist to ensure people like Senter and Stull have a job and get paid lots of $ for pitiful results.

Wrong. UNM is a founding member of the MWC and at the time of its formation, their basketball program was top notch. They might invest in facilities, but their name isn’t getting kicked around for movement. They are “stuck” in their conference too, because of shitty football and basketball programs. It just happens to be better than CUSA.

Except for political shenanigans El Paso should have been part of NM. Imagine a 3 school conference of UTEP, UNM and NMSU. Our guys and gals could win that now and then.

There no NCAA limits preventing them from feeding the athletes. They changed the rules for training table to be unlimited a few years back. UTEP simply doesn't have the money to properly run a football program. They don't want to get rid of it because then they will have to cut a lot of other sports programs. Who wants to be the athletic director or president to cut 50% of the athletics at a school? It's a lot easier to just keep the status quo going.
Ok Taco, I believe you are either receiving bogus information from a disgruntled player or you just want to sh!t on the program in public for whatever reason. I reached out to confirm your nutrition and tutorial hearsay. Two sources, one a player and the other in news, both say that those statements by you are untrue. These sources are reliable to the extreme.

Ok Taco, I believe you are either receiving bogus information from a disgruntled player or you just want to sh!t on the program in public for whatever reason. I reached out to confirm your nutrition and tutorial hearsay. Two sources, one a player and the other in news, both say that those statements by you are untrue. These sources are reliable to the extreme.
You have your unnamed sources and I have my own eyes. I wonder which one I'm going to believe. I stand 100% by everything I've said! Taco is my everyday name that I've been called since the first grade. If your sources are in fact around the program they know exactly who I am and they can come and address it with me in person.

Don't make me call sources. Lol, naw but for reals I've heard of some shady ass illegal activities that would happen under Stull. Let's just say we tried cheating.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT