ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations

Exactly. The slight turn of “he didn’t go to this university so why did he give instead of the soccer team” was a nice touch.
Just tag me on your post. I can read your comments. To clarify I said that because NoWins seems to be under the impression that MountainStar can’t afford their own stadium and will need city funding. Yet the owners of the Locomotive and Bravos don’t flinch when bailing out Senter. Thus demonstrating they can privately fund a 5 million minor league soccer stadium if they choose to.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Just tag me on your post. I can read your comments. To clarify I said that because NoWins seems to be under the impression that MountainStar can’t afford their own stadium and will need city funding. Yet the owners of the Locomotive and Bravos don’t flinch when bailing out Senter. Thus demonstrating they can privately fund a 5 million minor league soccer stadium if they choose to.

They haven’t bought land for it. There is no plan about it anywhere on their website. Only one of their executives saying they would need city help before they got the team. Those are FACTS.

And a $5,000,000 tax write off is a lot cheaper than a $100,000,000 privately financed stadium!

Reactions: Autograph Boy
A lead gift of $5.1 million by El Paso businessman and philanthropist Paul Foster and his wife, Alejandra De la Vega Foster, ensures the completion of the Sun Bowl Renovation Project.

To recognize their incredible support, the structure housing the press box and the Hunt Family Sky Lounge in the iconic stadium will be renamed the Paul and Alejandra Foster Tower.

“Paul and Alejandra have done so much for El Paso and for UTEP. Having their names on the tower will make us smile every time we walk into the Sun Bowl. We’re very thankful for their generosity,” said UTEP President Heather Wilson.

“We can’t thank Paul and Alejandra enough for their generosity and for their continued support of UTEP and UTEP Athletics,” said UTEP Director of Athletics Jim Senter. “And, we can’t wait for our fans to experience the new and improved Sun Bowl! Paul and Alejandra’s vision aligned with ours, and their dedication and kindness was absolutely critical to making the dream a reality. The Paul and Alejandra Foster Tower will be gorgeous, and a centerpiece of this spectacular renovation.”

“We are pleased to be a part of the Sun Bowl renovation project, and proud to dedicate the Paul and Alejandra Foster Tower as part of this important initiative to give the Sun Bowl a new look and new amenities,” said Paul Foster. “Alejandra and I try to focus much of our civic and charitable giving on effective, sustainable quality-of-life projects. The Sun Bowl has been a big part of El Paso’s quality of life for over 57 years, representing our City and public university in a very unique way. We’re happy to be a part of renovating this iconic venue.”

The Foster gift is instrumental in the overall development of the Sun Bowl Renovation Project, including the installation of:

• 499 outdoor club seats
  • 26 loge boxes
  • New 40-foot bar at the club level
  • Addition of club level outdoor pavilion
  • Creation of four suites (first-ever in the Sun Bowl)
  • New HVAC and updated audio visual capabilities in the press box
  • Updated tower façade
  • New premium seating and hospitality entrance
  • Renovated restrooms and concessions at the club level
Senter could not get LED lighting as part of the deal, like Estadio Olimpico Benito Juarez and eventually the new stadium. .

There's a lot of bad takes in this tread but I'll only correct one: Locomotive is not a minor league soccer team. Locomotive is not a farm team for anyone; they are second division American soccer.

Sure

Any professional team that does not play in the top league of their sport, is considered minor league here in the US. So yeah, the Locomotive are a minor league soccer team.

You have discredited people that have quoted Wikipedia before but cite it when it fits your argument? Cool. Second division isn't minor league, deal with it.

When and who did I discredit for using Wikipedia?

Yes, it is minor league. The Locomotive play on a baseball field of a minor league AAA baseball team. They are not in MLS, they are below that. The USL championship is a minor league. Are you insinuating that the USL Championship is a high level league?

Which MLS team do they feed too and vice versa?

I thought the players were cherry picked..

They do not have any affiliation with a MLS team. Any team can “cherry pick” their players. They are a minor league team, playing below the top soccer league in the country. Just like an Arena Football League team or a NBA G-League team.

When and who did I discredit for using Wikipedia?

Yes, it is minor league. The Locomotive play on a baseball field of a minor league AAA baseball team. They are not in MLS, they are below that. The USL championship is a minor league. Are you insinuating that the USL Championship is a high level league?
1) I'm not going to go back and look but yes you have discredited people for using Wikipedia.

2) I clearly called them second division American soccer, read.

Reactions: EP Maximus
There's a lot of bad takes in this tread but I'll only correct one: Locomotive is not a minor league soccer team. Locomotive is not a farm team for anyone; they are second division American soccer.

1) I'm not going to go back and look but yes you have discredited people for using Wikipedia.

2) I clearly called them second division American soccer, read.

1)Because it didn’t happen

2)You also said they’re not a minor league team, which they are.

They do not have any affiliation with a MLS team. Any team can “cherry pick” their players. They are a minor league team, playing below the top soccer league in the country. Just like an Arena Football League team or a NBA G-League team.
Yes G-league teams are affiliated. Not arena football or USL. You can consider them minor by definition but most go by affiliation.

Yes G-league teams are affiliated. Not arena football or USL. You can consider them minor by definition but most go by affiliation.

They are minor leagues, that’s my point. Nobody would consider the G League the pinnacle of pro basketball in the US, nor would they consider the USL-C that in soccer. Therefore, they are minor leagues

They are minor leagues, that’s my point. Nobody would consider the G League the pinnacle of pro basketball in the US, nor would they consider the USL-C that in soccer. Therefore, they are minor leagues

Plus the fact that unlike other sports the United States doesnt have the world's dominant soccer league. We're close but MLS is number two to liga MX on our own continent. When you consider those facts USL is a very minor league.

The project, which is financed with athletic department funds, was initially approved by the Board of Trustees in November 2019 and was estimated to cost between $3.75 million and $4.25 million according to the Montgomery Advertiser. It's no secret that stadium upgrades like this are geared toward enhancing the fan experience and impressing recruits. This has another purpose, though.

"This is a time-sensitive project because the metal halide fixtures are no longer being manufactured and our inventory of bulbs will eventually one day go out," Dan King, Auburn's associate vice president for facilities, said last November.

Eventually @UTEPAthletics @JimSenter2 are going to have to deal with a field lighting system has been around 1963. Unless they have a surplus of light bulbs, repairs,and of course maintenance; main concern would be the amount of money that they are paying to @EPElectric from August to November.
The light pole(s) on the east side (AKA high side) have eight Halogen lights) roll x 8=64, total of 128.
The press box side has seven Halogen lights x 7=49, total of 98.

Replace 1500W Metal Halide Lights with LED and Save $$$
Replacing 1500W metal halide lights with LED football field lights will keep money in the bank. One metal halide light of this wattage can be replaced with one LED light that is between 450 and 600 watts. Use a 500 watt 30 degree narrower beam for higher installs or the 450 or 600 watt T3 pattern area light for lower installs. LED lights use less wattage to produce the same amount of light, and it is a bright, consistent light. Remember, wattage is the amount of energy the light uses and what drives energy costs. LED lights also have a longer lifespan, are eco-friendly, require much less (if any) maintenance, and are more durable than metal halide lights. When you consider the long lifespan of the LED light, even though the actual light may cost more for initial installation, you will replace LED lights very rarely and will spend less money on upkeep. You must keep the long game in mind, as LED lights are a much more economical lighting solution when you consider all as aspects
https://www.ledlightexpert.com/Football-Field-Lighting_c_96.html

I might be wrong but not even Texas has led lights at Memorial stadium. It didn’t look like they did.

I wish they would cover the exposed concrete with field turf like the MTSU field in the above video. Also why not paint the southern endzone orange and replace the UTEP MINERS block lettering with the UTEP logo.

I wish they would cover the exposed concrete with field turf like the MTSU field in the above video. Also why not paint the southern endzone orange and replace the UTEP MINERS block lettering with the UTEP logo.

I wish @UTEPAthletics would install netting on the north and south end of the Sun 🌞 Bowl:

Instead of field turf. track surface as warning track that goes all the way to the tunnel entrance (locker rooms) with upgraded drainage system like so:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT