ADVERTISEMENT

UNT vs UTEP

Overall I'm satisfied with the road split. I would be really happy with a split with UNT to end the season.
One game at a time. Tough loss but UNT is a tough team.

D’Antoni, who is passionate in his style and has been been in the cross hairs by even his own players, will have this team ready to play and no doubt will be aggressive despite what is indicative in the win loss column.

54% shooting and UTEP out rebounded UNT. Turnovers and 2nd chance shots by UNT.

Overall I'm satisfied with the road split. I would be really happy with a split with UNT to end the season.
Couldn't agree more. This is a great time in the schedule to take our temperature. We've got the best teams in the conference coming up, besides FAU who we beat. Then we close out with UNT at home.
Lets get a win next time and a good seed in the tourney.
I think we'll get some kind of post season tourney. Not bad for a first year coach.

Last edited:
One game at a time. Tough loss but UNT is a tough team.

D’Antoni, who is passionate in his style and has been been in the cross hairs by even his own players, will have this team ready to play and no doubt will be aggressive despite what is indicative in the win loss column.
I'll be there! Hoping to see a solid win so Onyema gets more minutes.
I was impressed by him tonight. Good to see him have some restraint and help the team.

Marshall comes to the DHC with guard Kinsey as top CUSA scorer. He’s their Bienemy and I wouldn’t count this as a win. This can be a trap game for conference tourney seeding.

Two of the streakiest teams, UTEP and UNT, are heading into a grinder for the next month. UNT's joy ride will come to a crashing end. Miner fans are going to get a bucket of artic ice water on SB Sunday when Marshall comes to town to get an upset. Listening to the post game show and reading on here, many UTEP faithful are chalking a "W" this Sunday because there is plenty of time for UTEP to rest, prep and study (film) and Marshall is struggling this year. This is a trap game. A) Marshall has the CUSA leading scorer and B)D'Antoni does not like UTEP. What his beef is with UTEP I have not a clue, but the man is a slight bit of a head case with a massive ego and they did upset UAB days ago. But, he will have them ready for the Miners.

However, look for UAB to pull away from the rest of the pack and snatch the #1 seed as the next five games should be in their favor and pull out 4 out 5, 5 being very likely as UNT is in their house later this month. They have two left with USM to round it out to 7 going into a show down against La Tech to snatch away a conference title. La Tech and UNT will fight it out for two spot.

Last edited:
Good effort by the guys. This team continues to get better. This is the first UTEP team I can remember in a very long time I think will be peaking in March. They are going to have better than a punchers chance in the conference tourny. Couldn't ask much more for Golding's first year.

Last edited:
Good effort by the guys. This team continues to get better. This is the first UTEP team I can remember in a very long time I think will be peaking in March. They are going to have better than a punchers chance in the conference tourny. Couldn't ask much more for Golding's first year.
Just block out. Lol.
According to Teich, last night was the first time UTEP out rebounded an opponent since December?

Just block out. Lol.
According to Teich, last night was the first time UTEP out rebounded an opponent since December?
Damn…since December?!? First half rebounding effort was outstanding. Second half, we hurt ourselves by giving up too many tip ins and other offensive boards. Gotta play a full 40. Oh yeah, and limit unforced turnovers.

I think it was Feral last night, who said the UNT’s defense had a lot to do with the amount of turnovers. Yes, they’re really aggressive and stifling, however FAR too many were unforced.

Damn…since December?!? First half rebounding effort was outstanding. Second half, we hurt ourselves by giving up too many tip ins and other offensive boards. Gotta play a full 40. Oh yeah, and limit unforced turnovers.

I think it was Feral last night, who said the UNT’s defense had a lot to do with the amount of turnovers. Yes, they’re really aggressive and stifling, however FAR too many were unforced.
Agree on the turnovers. But I also think the lack of depth comes into play. Bieniemy and Boum both played nearly the entire game, and wore down against the UNT pressure. Both of them are playing too many minutes but the options off the bench are limited. With Saterfield not being allowed to catch the ball on offense, he brings very little else offensively. On defense, he is very average, and forces CJG to play Clardy. I'm hoping Kennedy can come back in provide a spark, but that may be asking alot due to his injury and time away from the game.

Agree on the turnovers. But I also think the lack of depth comes into play. Bieniemy and Boum both played nearly the entire game, and wore down against the UNT pressure. Both of them are playing too many minutes but the options off the bench are limited. With Saterfield not being allowed to catch the ball on offense, he brings very little else offensively. On defense, he is very average, and forces CJG to play Clardy. I'm hoping Kennedy can come back in provide a spark, but that may be asking alot due to his injury and time away from the game.
I agree with you. Our lack of depth hurts. Especially our lack of diversity with the depth we do have. We definitely wore down. We looked tired in the 2nd half. With that said, UNT only plays 7 deep. Something on the stat sheet stuck out to me. Looking into UNT's stats, 3 guys have over 600 minutes, 2 with 500+, and 2 around 400. The next closest guy only has 67 minutes for the season.

We're very similar at the top, with two of our guys near 700 minutes logged. However we have 8 other guys with over 200 minutes. It would seem that UNT should be just as tired, if not more so. Anyway...

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Two of the streakiest teams, UTEP and UNT, are heading into a grinder for the next month. UNT's joy ride will come to a crashing end. Miner fans are going to get a bucket of artic ice water on SB Sunday when Marshall comes to town to get an upset. Listening to the post game show and reading on here, many UTEP faithful are chalking a "W" this Sunday because there is plenty of time for UTEP to rest, prep and study (film) and Marshall is struggling this year. This is a trap game. A) Marshall has the CUSA leading scorer and B)D'Antoni does not like UTEP. What his beef is with UTEP I have not a clue, but the man is a slight bit of a head case with a massive ego and they did upset UAB days ago. But, he will have them ready for the Miners.

However, look for UAB to pull away from the rest of the pack and snatch the #1 seed as the next five games should be in their favor and pull out 4 out 5, 5 being very likely as UNT is in their house later this month. They have two left with USM to round it out to 7 going into a show down against La Tech to snatch away a conference title. La Tech and UNT will fight it out for two spot.
I call BS Utep wins by 8-12 points! Marshall is really bad in the road this year for the most part, UTEP plays aggressive defense and will shut down the rest of Marshall. So unless this guy goes off for 40 or something, I don't see it.

I call BS Utep wins by 8-12 points! Marshall is really bad in the road this year for the most part, UTEP plays aggressive defense and will shut down the rest of Marshall. So unless this guy goes off for 40 or something, I don't see it.
Agree. Go out and play with the same consistency as the last 3 weeks and it will pay off. Don't look past Marshall, but do what we've been doing and results will fall into place. I think you're spot on for the point spread, too.

I agree with you. Our lack of depth hurts. Especially our lack of diversity with the depth we do have. We definitely wore down. We looked tired in the 2nd half. With that said, UNT only plays 7 deep. Something on the stat sheet stuck out to me. Looking into UNT's stats, 3 guys have over 600 minutes, 2 with 500+, and 2 around 400. The next closest guy only has 67 minutes for the season.

We're very similar at the top, with two of our guys near 700 minutes logged. However we have 8 other guys with over 200 minutes. It would seem that UNT should be just as tired, if not more so. Anyway...
Good analysis MF. I think the key for us would be to have Bieniemy/Boum get a couple of well timed minutes break each half. Even if they play 35 - 36 minutes, I think that would make a big difference. With Agnew playing out of control, and Kennedy just plain out, there is just too much drop off after them. UNT adjusted by trapping Bieniemy in the second half forcing someone else to beat them. Boum started to hit some shots, but it was too late. With UNT, a lot of their offensive plan flows through Bell, and I thought he was able to really able to exploit the Miners interior defense with his passing out of double teams. They are a pretty well coached bunch; McCasland gets a lot of those guys, and they really get after you defensively.

Good analysis MF. I think the key for us would be to have Bieniemy/Boum get a couple of well timed minutes break each half. Even if they play 35 - 36 minutes, I think that would make a big difference. With Agnew playing out of control, and Kennedy just plain out, there is just too much drop off after them. UNT adjusted by trapping Bieniemy in the second half forcing someone else to beat them. Boum started to hit some shots, but it was too late. With UNT, a lot of their offensive plan flows through Bell, and I thought he was able to really able to exploit the Miners interior defense with his passing out of double teams. They are a pretty well coached bunch; McCasland gets a lot of those guys, and they really get after you defensively.
Couldn't agree more with you, Train...especially well timed breaks for Boum and Bieniemy. Preferably, one at a time. Never both at the same time, because of the drop off in production, as you mentioned.

Yeah, I thought UNT was good. Really good. Very well coached, and defensively outstanding. Bieniemy couldn't do a thing after the half time adjustment on him. Saterfield was invisible. Boum held in check for 60% of the game. TV did not have nearly the kind of game I thought he would. Agnew...Agnew...Agnew.

On the bright side, Onyema played well and within himself and is getting better and better on the defensive end. His little floater that didn't quite beat the buzzer at the half showed a nice touch that I didn't know he had.

As disappointing as the loss was, CJG has this team playing pretty good basketball. As someone posted earlier, I bet they get even better and peak in March.

We all forgot one person that won UNT that game, Thomas Bell. He was over extending, under extending, slipping thru screens, under hand shots, tip in's. No doubt in my mind UTEP could have kept it down to the wire if not for him.

Why Sibley was on UNT big man a few times was an interesting call? Was it due to switch off's, rotation, or what?

We all forgot one person that won UNT that game, Thomas Bell. He was over extending, under extending, slipping thru screens, under hand shots, tip in's. No doubt in my mind UTEP could have kept it down to the wire if not for him.

Why Sibley was on UNT big man a few times was an interesting call? Was it due to switch off's, rotation, or what?
Nah, Lil_Train gave him credit.

Nah, Lil_Train gave him credit.
Yep, and Golding knew defending Bell was the key, so he tried to double team him as much as possible. Unfortunately, Bell was able to defeat a lot of the UTEP double teams, and got point blank looks for Ousmane with his interior passing or he scored on his own. Plus, Bell is very good on the defensive side as well. I'm kind of hoping dos Anjos is able to provide a similar type skill set next year, but that is going to be a tall order.

I hate to say it, but I need a towel to dry up this bucket of Arctic ice water you mentioned Marshall was gonna bring with em.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT