ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Responds to CUSA Realignment:

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Let me channel my inner NCAA.....

UTEP Puts out a statement:

We have not been successful in Football or Basketball recently, but we're better this year in football and have an energetic Basketball coach. We boast the 89th media market, because half our population watches Spanish television. We are 4+ hours from the next cities over 500,000. (Oh and one of those is in a P5 conference while the other doesn't want us in theirs) However with all this said El Paso has some of the best Mexican food you'll find, nice people and is one of the safest large cities in the US. So please take us into your conference, because we have no other options at this point. Thanks UTEP President (Why'd I take this Job Wilson) and Director of Athletics (Who needs a new AD Senter)

It's flabbergasting that when you look at the map there is only one obvious and natural conference for us to be in. Of all the existing MWC schools does anyone know what the breakdown is regarding who wants us and who doesn't? Of those that don't want us have they stated why? It can't be the travel time, so I'm guessing it's our poor product quality and/or our poor attendance. From what I observe we are somewhere toward the middle when compared to the existing schools.
It's so sad that we're in this boat and I'm praying that Wilson and Senter can devote their efforts 100% to getting it fixed.

I think it's obvious now that Senter's Big play is the Big 12! Now it all makes sense why he won't comment. Thank You Senter and Wilson for making Miner Fans dreams come true. See y'all at the Sun Bowl for Utep vs Baylor 2023!!!

Might not be quite so far-fetched at this point. Boise State and SDSU stayed in the MWC to await an eventual invitation to the Big-12. Maybe the B-12 loses another school or two by then and -- if --, no, -- IIIIIIIIFFFFFFFF -- we have any measure of success and support from Mother in Austin we can get one too.

I know, I know. Dreaming bigly stupid. I know.

Reactions: chuwy9 and nattybry
Bleacher Report I found from 2013 making a case for Utep to the Big 12 lol Senter should copy paste the first part for his statement lol

. UTEP
Conference: Conference USA

Enrollment: 21,011 (17,205 undergrad)

El Paso is one of the faster-growing media markets in Big 12 territory, now approaching one million, plus an additional million on the Ciudad Juarez side of the border. UTEP has also won 20 national championships in track or cross country.

However, in revenue sports, UTEP has not been lights-out of late. Their football team went 54-75 since 2000, this playing against inferior competition in the WAC and Conference USA.

Its last bowl victory came in 1967, the year after UTEP won its one and only NCAA men’s basketball championship. UTEP has only been to the Big Dance three times since 2000, losing in the First Round each time.

While UTEP offers possibilities market-wise, it would quickly become the Big 12’s competitive doormat.

Does the UT system care about UTEP enough, to help them find the right spot? Or do they not care? If UTEP hit up the MWC and said we are going to invest in this or that, would they be more inclined to offer? Foster, you like El Paso right? We need some more 💰. Everyday it looks worse for the Miners. If the Sunbelt expands with 4, CUSA is done.

Any surprise that the two schools with no options have nothing to say.

Has LT said anything?

At least WKU and MTSU might get saved by the MAC.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Naw, LaTech thinks they’re too good to be in the Sun Belt. I went over to their message board and they’re still above being with Arkansas St, Louisiana, and Monroe. Looks like they’ll get their wish!!

To be fair to Senter, he didn't cause the situation we find ourselves in. There's lots of blame to go around and it goes back years. Anything he would say now would sound hollow. What he can do to improve our situation is pick winning coaches and grow fan support. On the former, Dimel seems to have righted the ship this season. But is Senter supposed to issue a statement that UTEP has been rotten for many years but finally seems to be turning things around? On the latter, there's certainly action he should take, but I'm not sure the collapse of CUSA is a good opportunity to talk about it. But he does need to be out there finding ways to promote our teams among the people of El Paso.

Just control the things we can, keep winning and bring back the fans. We know the CUSA situation sucks and I don't think Senter needs to waste his energy talking about it. Just go out there and find ways to bring back the fans, Senter.

I agree this is years in the making... We have been left by fellow conference mates such as AZ, AZ St. Utah, BYU, TCU, the MW and the AAC. There's many reasons for that. One of them to be sure is the dormant men's basketball team that once was one of the top mid majors and the continued lack of success for football. Remember UTEP used to lead the conference in football attendance or be near the top and always led in Basketball. The lack of commitment even before Senter got this in motion. DR. Natalicio may she rest in peace, seemed only concerned with Academics in her later years. We stood by and watched as teams improved their footing and we stood pat. It's not Senter's or Wilson's fault, but I think now they have been tasked with arguably the most daunting UTEP Athletics Challenge in most of our lifetime's! Best of Luck!

DR. Natalicio may she rest in peace, seemed only concerned with Academics in her later years.
Isn't that the job of the president of a higher learning institution? As much as we're all sports fans here, let's not forget what the main purpose of a college or university is.

Isn't that the job of the president of a higher learning institution? As much as we're all sports fans here, let's not forget what the main purpose of a college or university is.
That is true. But as sports fans, we are not on this forum for the mathletes, we’re here for the athletes.

Why couldn’t Granny N have focused on improving academics AND athletics, like Renu Khator over at UH has focused on?

That is true. But as sports fans, we are not on this forum for the mathletes, we’re here for the athletes.

Why couldn’t Granny N have focused on improving academics AND athletics, like Renu Khator over at UH has focused on?
Are saying you're not excited that Ana Flor-Bernal is the second student this year to win the Fulbright award?

Wilson is quoted in the article "The best students at UTEP can compete with the best students anywhere"

If this was true of our athletes we would be celebrating our promotion to the AAC.

Are saying you're not excited that Ana Flor-Bernal is the second student this year to win the Fulbright award?

Wilson is quoted in the article "The best students at UTEP can compete with the best students anywhere"

If this was true of our athletes we would be celebrating our promotion to the AAC.
No, of course I’m excited about that. But when I post about academics, it’s never on Miner Illustrated, it’s on Miner Educated. Another great forum. I just never mix the two.🤓

JFC Tio Jaime trying to sell UTEP while saying we’re committed to CUSA. Nombre, we’re screwed!
This was like UTEP making CBI-Still playing basketball shirts!

Reactions: JCorona
It’s exactly what I said he would write. No information, just spinning accomplishments past and present.
He actually said a little more than we all thought. I'm not surprised that he didn't say we look at all available options to better this Universities Athletic Excellence. However he did say "Regardless of our Conference Membership our commitment doesn't waiver" That's about as close as we could expect to him saying all options are on the table I guess.

Bleacher Report I found from 2013 making a case for Utep to the Big 12 lol Senter should copy paste the first part for his statement lol

. UTEP
Conference: Conference USA

Enrollment: 21,011 (17,205 undergrad)

El Paso is one of the faster-growing media markets in Big 12 territory, now approaching one million, plus an additional million on the Ciudad Juarez side of the border. UTEP has also won 20 national championships in track or cross country.

However, in revenue sports, UTEP has not been lights-out of late. Their football team went 54-75 since 2000, this playing against inferior competition in the WAC and Conference USA.

Its last bowl victory came in 1967, the year after UTEP won its one and only NCAA men’s basketball championship. UTEP has only been to the Big Dance three times since 2000, losing in the First Round each time.

While UTEP offers possibilities market-wise, it would quickly become the Big 12’s competitive doormat.
That’s when some UTEP and Rice money boosters were giving the old college try. Glad you found that because I was trying and couldn’t find it.

Reactions: nattybry
UTEP football's three biggest recruiting states, as verified by the number of players on our roster are: Texas, California, and Arizona. Two years from now, UTEP won't have a conference team in any of those 3 states.

UTEP Athletics posted it on their Twitter account finally
Senter forgot to mention the beautiful desert climate. Ugh!

Ok, UTEP has the most NCAA championships in the state behind Texas but “that and ten cents doesn’t get you a cup of coffee” unless you’re on twitterphere arguing with Texas A&M aggies who want to have a mid week morning drinking argument.

Senter forgot to mention the beautiful desert climate. Ugh!

Ok, UTEP has the most NCAA championships in the state behind Texas but “that and ten cents doesn’t get you a cup of coffee” unless you’re on twitterphere arguing with Texas A&M aggies who want to have a mid week morning drinking argument.
Really milking that bowl eligibility card for all it’s worth too. Surprised he didn’t mention the ‘66 title specifically as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT